DNF's

K N D

Again, sorry if this is already a thread, I just can't seem to navigate these forums. Anyway...

When you have logged a DNF, then at a later date you Find it. Are we supposed to Change that DNF log to a Found, or make a different log to show the Find? If you looked for a particular cache say 8 times (which I've done) , do you log a DNF for each time?

I got to thinking about this today as I was trying to clean up some of my DNF's. I notice that in a lot of cases, there is only 1 DNF logg, mine. And they were really quite hard for me to find. I got to thinking, am I the only one unable to find this thing. Then I though, well maybe everyone else changes their log when they find it. What do you all do? Is there an actual rule so to speak about this topic? Love to hear from ya!!!!

When I first started caching I had a more experienced role model who changed DNF logs to finds, so that is what I did. Then I learned more about the game and what I prefer, so I started posting a new log for the find after I previously posted a DNF. It keeps my history intact and I like that. Also, the owner does not get an email when you edit a previous log so he/she likely will not be aware that you went back and found the cache. So my advice is to log your DNFs and also log your finds separately.

When you have logged a DNF, then at a later date you Find it. Are we supposed to Change that DNF log to a Found, or make a different log to show the Find?

I own one rather tricky cache. Two cachers deleted their DNFs when they found it. So that practice isn't unheard of. Problem is, if the next folks to go there don't see "DNF" entries, they won't realize it's a tough one. But the term "DNF" has such a loose meaning to many people, they can justify never logging it.

Don't remove the previous DNF. You "Did Not Find" it, and that's useful to know, for cachers and owners alike. I wish more people would give the rest of us the heads-up about these tricky caches -- rather than waiting to find it before they say they've searched several times. I haven't looked for any one cache eight times, but if I did, I'd have 8 DNFs logged.

Edited by kunarion

Again, sorry if this is already a thread, I just can't seem to navigate these forums. Anyway...

When you have logged a DNF, then at a later date you Find it. Are we supposed to Change that DNF log to a Found, or make a different log to show the Find? If you looked for a particular cache say 8 times (which I've done) , do you log a DNF for each time?

I got to thinking about this today as I was trying to clean up some of my DNF's. I notice that in a lot of cases, there is only 1 DNF logg, mine. And they were really quite hard for me to find. I got to thinking, am I the only one unable to find this thing. Then I though, well maybe everyone else changes their log when they find it. What do you all do? Is there an actual rule so to speak about this topic? Love to hear from ya!!!!

Most folks will tell you that DNFs should stay on the cache pages. They are part of the record. I agree and actually track all our DNFs and proudly post updates to our profile page. DNF logs are often quite entertaining.

I have DNF'd some caches several times. I don't always post subsequent DNFs. If they don't provided new information or something useful or what I might think of as entertaining then I might not post them. I am reasonably sure I would not post eight DNFs for a run-of-the-mill cache with no significant hide or terrain value.

I too notice often I am the only one to record a DNF when it's known that others are DNFing. I don't mind that. In fact, I always get a kick when the finders before and after me are new to geocaching and they write how easy the find was and I am on my third attempt. Many people do not log DNFs and that doesn't bother me. I do like it, though, when a DNF log will give subtle hints about where the cache was not so I don't have to go there too. :angry:

Your logs are all part of the cache history. DNFs tell other cachers that the find might not be a slam dunk,, easy find. If everyone deleted their DNFs the cache may appear to be a lot easier than it really is.

If you change your DNF to a Found It the cache owner will not get notification. Say your DNF made the owner decided to go check on his cache. He wouldn't know that it was found unless he happened to check the cache page and may make a wasted trip.

I log a DNF for every failed attempt. There is one cache that I've logged 6 DNFs on over a period of several months.

I have proudly claimed FTDNF on many a cache. :angry: Yes, I understand I may not be the first one who couldn't find it but I was the first with the guts to say so!

When I first started caching I did have the idea that a DNF somehow reflected badly on me as a cacher. I was always reluctant to leave one. But once I started hiding caches I began to realize how important DNFs were. They are my signal to go see what's up with the cache.

I wouldn't change a DNF log to a Found It. I think in the past I deleted a couple of them once I found the cache, but I wouldn't do it now.

I don't log a DNF for every trip I make to a cache. After logging my first DNF on a cache I'll usually give it another 3 or 4 tries, and if I haven't found it by then I'll post another.

And besides, sometimes writing a DNF log can be as fun as a good Found It!

I notice that in a lot of cases, there is only 1 DNF logg, mine. And they were really quite hard for me to find. I got to thinking, am I the only one unable to find this thing.

A lot of people (and I have to include myself here) have a hard time being the first person to DNF a cache, especially when other cacher's logs talk about how easy it was. Unless the cache is brand new, you're probably not the first person to DNF the cache. You're the person who admitted it. Kudos to you for that.

I have proudly claimed FTDNF on many a cache. :angry: Yes, I understand I may not be the first one who couldn't find it but I was the first with the guts to say so!

I never looked at it like that before!!! I love it!!!

That says it for me...I log my DFNs and if I find it later, it becomes a Found It! I don't have time to keep going back to edit my logs unless there is newly found gross grammar or spelling matters to correct. I just felt my logs were important to be as honest and complete as possible to help all reading them.

A DNF is a DNF, and a Found It is a Found It. Both are part of the history of the cache. Please do not alter history. If you didn't find it last time you looked, but you did find it this time... then you should have two logs... a DNF, and later, a Found It. Plain and simple. You looked twice. You didn't find it, the first time. You found it the next time. That's history.

I love the FTDNF concept. I have just gone back and edited my DNF that I posted on a cache in Northern Territory, Australia last week. I now proudly claim FTDNF http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e4-65930e718ceb

I have only recently mended the error of my ways and started logging every DNF. Until now, I also thought it would reflect badly on my reputation as a cacher if I logged a DNF on a cache that everyone else found easily. I now accept that I am really not very good at micros.

I heard about a cache (maybe in Australia but not sure) that you only qualify to log a find if you have already posted more than 100 DNF logs. At the rate I am going, I will qualify very soon.

As to the original question, it has always been my understanding that if you did not find you post a DNF. If you find it later, you ADD a Found It.

I have proudly claimed FTDNF on many a cache. :D Yes, I understand I may not be the first one who couldn't find it but I was the first with the guts to say so!

I like that one too, I can't wait to log my first "first to not find".........sounds like a good opp for humor.......humor is good.

GT

Pipeline Putters

Edited by Pipeline Putters

recently i logged two DNFs on the same cache in the same day.

we didn't find the cache, we went away for a while and found a hundred and fifty or so more caches, and then we came back and didn't find the first one again.

pain in the butt.

sometimes if i make a careless search for what i think is an even more carelessly placed container in a location that has nothing to recommend it, i might forego any kind of log and just hold my tongue.

sometimes if i make a DNF i will post subsequent notes for my return trips, depending on circumstance and whim.

i NEVER go back and change old DNFs to founds. never. they're not just a part of my history, but they're a part of the cache's history and as such are kind of community property.

recently i logged two DNFs on the same cache in the same day.

we didn't find the cache, we went away for a while and found a hundred and fifty or so more caches, and then we came back and didn't find the first one again.

pain in the butt.

sometimes if i make a careless search for what i think is an even more carelessly placed container in a location that has nothing to recommend it, i might forego any kind of log and just hold my tongue.

sometimes if i make a DNF i will post subsequent notes for my return trips, depending on circumstance and whim.

i NEVER go back and change old DNFs to founds. never. they're not just a part of my history, but they're a part of the cache's history and as such are kind of community property.

I love flask's reasoning. It's a part of history. To me, that's more important than any statistics. In 50 years this geocaching.com website may disappear into the clouds but for now, it's a document. I do this for me and the opportunity it presents to visit places I may pass by every day. It also presents me with other lame opportunities like lamp posts in a walmart parking lot. But that's pop culture and though mostly boring and monotonous, it is still sometimes interesting if even as a simple character study of what some will do for a number.

Log your DNFs. Log multiple DNFs if you must.

I guess it is a personal preference but I post new Found It! logs after a DNF. IF I have several DNF's I post the first one as a DNF and either not post the others or write them using Note instead of DNF

I don't have many caches hidden but here are my perspectives:

From a finder's perspective: If you didn't find it, it's a DNF. A different visit warrants a new log, not the change of a previous log. So I would log DNF, then log a new Found It. I want to provide the cache owner with feedback about their cache, my visit and my perceptions of the hide. I also want other cachers to see my feedback on all visits. I'll even post a note if I revisit a cache at a later time for some reason (travel bug drop, visiting with friends or newbies, etc).

From a hiders perspecitve: I like to know my 'stats' for a cache. I like to see if people are finding it, not finding it and get all the feedback from every visit. If logs get changed then that information gets lost.

My personal rules:

I log a DNF for each search, unless they occur on the same day. I will log multiple DNFs on the same cache on the same day as a single log.

If I return and find the cache, I leave my original log(s) intact and log the find as a new log.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Edited by DanOCan

If I Did Not Find (DNF) on Nov. 1, but did Find on Dec. 1, going back and changing Nov. 1 DNF to a Find would be inaccurate. It's not quite the same as a state-less binary setting - True or False forever.

I feel DNFs, as well as Finds, are feedback to the Cache Owner (CO) A few consecutive of DNFs and the CO should check on the cache. The odd DNF here and there only suggest a cacher wasn't able to locate it, but all may be fine. A string of DNFs can indicate the cache has been muggled, swept away or otherwise unavailable.

I have proudly claimed FTDNF on many a cache. :laughing: Yes, I understand I may not be the first one who couldn't find it but I was the first with the guts to say so!

I've DNFed many caches with less than 2 stars. I log them, they stand, and darn proud of it. Besides, you never know when you'll need those DNFs for some King Boreas DNF challenge. :blink:

When I first started caching I change a DNF to a find and then after thinking about it I now let the DNF stand and post a new found it log. :laughing: I now might go back and edit the DNF to add that I now have found it, just thinking! :blink:

Also what kind of a game would this be if you always found everything, boring I think. :laughing:

Change/edit my log?

NO WAY!

BAD KARMA!

Whatever happened at each visit to the cache is an event unto itself, and cannot be edited.

Sure, you can change what is written on the cache page, but the fact that you didn't find it on such-and-such date, but then did find it on some other date does not change (unless you have a time machine which a lot of us would really like to know about 'cause a time machine would be soooo cool!).

Nope, post a new log for each visit.

Of course there are some caches where posting a DNF will only inflate the hider's ego...so sometimes they are optional.

:) I never have changed a DNF to a Find, although I don't always log every DNF on the same cache. I always try to log at least the first DNF on each cache when I first look for it. I don't think I ever had to look eight times for any one cache, but there have been several that I looked for several times. When I finally find it, I log a Found it

On one of my caches, I had one cacher who had three or four DNF's over a few weeks. She was sure that it was not there, even though others had found it during that time. I finally sent her an additional hint, and then she found it. When she logged her Found it, she said "It wasn't here last week!"

Beekeepersupreme

I feel DNFs, as well as Finds, are feedback to the Cache Owner (CO) A few consecutive of DNFs and the CO should check on the cache. The odd DNF here and there only suggest a cacher wasn't able to locate it, but all may be fine. A string of DNFs can indicate the cache has been muggled, swept away or otherwise unavailable.

Good common sense and makes sense to me.

Hi everyone, not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but here goes.

I have a couple of TBs and usually log them as a visit on my travels until such time as I can find a cache big enough to drop them off. My question is this:

Today I had a DNF but the app on my iPhone still gives me the option of logging the trackable a in my inventory. Is it 'bad etiquette' to log the TBs as visiting if I didn't find the cache? Or is the fact that I was at GZ and went to the trouble of trying to find it good enough?

Would appreciate some views on this. Thanks. :D

If I couldn't find it one day and find it the next day then the cache gets a DNF and a Find.

The only time I've changed a DNF to a Find is when I looked for what should have been an easy cache and couldn't find it. When I described the area in detail to the CO he said it sounded like the cache had gone missing, and when he checked he confirmed it had gone missing and invited me to change the DNF to a Find. Because I would have found it had it been there I took him up on the offer.

If I couldn't find it one day and find it the next day then the cache gets a DNF and a Find.

The only time I've changed a DNF to a Find is when I looked for what should have been an easy cache and couldn't find it. When I described the area in detail to the CO he said it sounded like the cache had gone missing, and when he checked he confirmed it had gone missing and invited me to change the DNF to a Find. Because I would have found it had it been there I took him up on the offer.

In a case like that, I'd still keep it a DNF. I've had COs offer to accept a Found It log in such circumstances, but if I didn't find the cache - no matter what the reason - I didn't earn a "Found It". What if it was there and you actually HAD overlooked it. Just today I finally logged a find on a cache that I had previously DNF'd twice. When I finally found it, I recalled on both previous attempts I had actually noticed the cache itself but for some reason I had dismissed it because it didn't register as out of place. Under some folks' logic, I could log that as found...but until I had my hand on it and signed the paper log, it wasn't found in my book.

Those two DNFs stand. They are a snapshot in time and should remain.

Edited by J Grouchy

I personally don't see the point of logging at trackable into a cache you didn't find, but I can't imagine it hurting anything either.

I guess the reason you might is to help the goals of the trackable.

For example the trackable has a goal to visit as many countries as possible. You take it to a new country with few caches. The only cache you have a chance to try to find you DNF.

Now the trackable really didn't "visit" the cache, but it did visit the cache location and the country.

In a case like that, I'd still keep it a DNF. I've had COs offer to accept a Found It log in such circumstances, but if I didn't find the cache - no matter what the reason - I didn't earn a "Found It". What if it was there and you actually HAD overlooked it. Just today I finally logged a find on a cache that I had previously DNF'd twice. When I finally found it, I recalled on both previous attempts I had actually noticed the cache itself but for some reason I had dismissed it because it didn't register as out of place. Under some folks' logic, I could log that as found...but until I had my hand on it and signed the paper log, it wasn't found in my book.

Those two DNFs stand. They are a snapshot in time and should remain.

In this particular case I know for a fact it wasn't there because as I said the CO checked the area and confirmed it was missing. When that kind of thing happens (as it has for something like 3 of my 2000+ finds) I decide what to do based on whatever criteria seems appropriate at the time. One cache was suspected missing by the CO who invited me to claim a find because I'd looked twice without success but on that occasion I decided to revisit once it was replaced. That one was closer to home and an area I cycled through frequently because it had a few good trails.

Ultimately it's not worth getting stressed over. If someone offers you a find when you didn't actually find the cache you make a decision whether to take it or leave it. If your personal standard is that you don't claim a find unless you signed the log (even if you found the cache, opened the cache, held the log but found your pen had run out or wouldn't mark the log or whatever else) then that's great. Others play the game with stricter or looser standards.

I log a DNF one time. If I return to look and still do not make the find I don't leave another DNF since of course I still DNF it.

I will log a find if and when I do ever find it. I have two DNF on my list I must now that I will go back for another try on.

Edited by Bassbully

I log my DNF's and I wish more people would do it as well. BUT, if I go back and find it at a later date, I log the find stating that it wasn't my first attempt and delete the original DNF. The reason I do this is because it makes it very easy to go to my logs and click on "didn't find" to check on caches and see if they have been found, or if I want to have a list of caches to go back and try to find.

Maybe there is an better way to do this, but if I don't delete DNF's that I eventually found I don't have an easy way to keep a list of caches that I need to go back and try to find. This way if it shows up as a DNF in my log entries I know that I really haven't found it yet, rather that having the same cache showing up in my logs as both found and unfound.

I log my DNF's and I wish more people would do it as well. BUT, if I go back and find it at a later date, I log the find stating that it wasn't my first attempt and delete the original DNF. The reason I do this is because it makes it very easy to go to my logs and click on "didn't find" to check on caches and see if they have been found, or if I want to have a list of caches to go back and try to find.

Maybe there is an better way to do this, but if I don't delete DNF's that I eventually found I don't have an easy way to keep a list of caches that I need to go back and try to find. This way if it shows up as a DNF in my log entries I know that I really haven't found it yet, rather that having the same cache showing up in my logs as both found and unfound.

The way I handle the situation ... if I find a cache after I've logged a DNF, I go back and change the previous DNF to a Note, and separately log a Find.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

I have a question to add to this. My husband, myself, daughter, daughter's friend, granddaughter all go caching together. Usually I am the one who will log any DNF. The others just skip it when doing their logging. The reason being that we all were together in a group and there was one massive group effort that did not find the cache. I felt that putting 5 DNF's on the same cache may throw off people when it may be just our bad luck. What do other groups do in this scenario?

If we then go back and find the cache, we all log the find on the date we actually find it.