Anyone else hiding Geocaches in their Christmas tree

Andronicus

You gave your wife a micro for Christmas?

It is a regular, and it is not for my wife (it is to upgrade an existing cache come January.

I thought about it, but realized I wouldn't have the tree up* for the three months needed to list a cache. Besides, the FTF hounds would probably come knocking at my door at some unholy hour of the night and disturb our slumber...

*You've had your tree up for a week before Thanksgiving?

I am not listing it, and up here in Canada, Thanksgiving was over a month ago.

Anyway, if anyone else has done similar, would love to see pics.

Edited by Andronicus

Never hid a cache in a Christmas tree before, but when I was a kid my brothers and I would take turns hiding GI Joes in the tree. Great fun. :angry:

For my kids we hide a couple of small bird ornaments and a pickle ornament for them to find. FTF on the pickle gets a small prize.

But now that you bring caches up, I do have a large red bison tube that would blend in pretty well with all the other shinys on the tree...

A local cacher created a cache in her front yard for last Christmas called "Twelve Days of Christmas". She has a large pine tree in the yard that she decorated with swag and hung a container in the tree with a log book. The cache was published 12 days before Christmas and each morning she added a "Twelve Days of Christmas" Geocoin on top of the tree that the FTF each day could take. I got one one the second day.

I seem to recall this thread from a year back where someone hid a cache in the forest and asked finders to bring some decoration to add to the tree. Anyone else remember that?

No, but what a great idea! May have to do one like this in my front yard!

I've seen a few geo-Christmas trees, but none where the ornaments were provided by future finders. It makes one wonder about a geo-Christmas tree which IS the cache. Each find would sign the log and trade personalized ornaments. Of course, it would have to have special permission due to the 'container' requirement.

A little off topic but last year I found a cache in a Christmas tree at a local park. Tha cache had always been there but not all the decorations. I was introducing a 10 yr old to the game and he found what he thought was the cache. Someone had stolen some Nintendo Wii games and hid them in the tree. It was an awesome swag, so we grabbed it and ran to the car. We figured it was Christmas gifts and turned it in to the PD.

Hahahaha - TOO funny :lol: I can totally see their desperate faces.

I like this idea. The tree is in the front window. Hang the bison on there where all searchers can see it. Make sure the door is locked at all times. Let's see who the person is that's bold enough to smash the front window to get the FTF. :):):):):)

I seem to recall this thread from a year back where someone hid a cache in the forest and asked finders to bring some decoration to add to the tree. Anyone else remember that?

No, but what a great idea! May have to do one like this in my front yard!

I've seen a few geo-Christmas trees, but none where the ornaments were provided by future finders. It makes one wonder about a geo-Christmas tree which IS the cache. Each find would sign the log and trade personalized ornaments. Of course, it would have to have special permission due to the 'container' requirement.

Well, you could hide a small container in the tree for the log itself, and still have the ornaments on the tree be trade items. Then, the requirement would be met. :)

I don't know if others do this or not - but My uncle started a tradition in our family of hiding money on the tree (not a geocache I know, more of a geo cash).

He is artful about folding up dollar bills and hiding them in and around ornaments, pinecones, etc. It drives the kids crazy looking for them... i know, I used to be one.

He usually hides at least one 10 or 20 to make it interesting. It really is great fun...

Oh, I am totally going to hide a cache in my Christmas tree then call up our friend with the coordinates. If I catch him when he's not at home, he won't be able to look and see that it's not a real geocache. Bwahahaha!

(We practically have to drug him to see him outside of geocaching, so this should be fun "payback" for him ignoring us. I'll be nice and have a pot of coffee waiting.)

I think I'll do the money thing with my daughter as well. Thanks for the ideas!

Last year, around Christmas, I put out a small and large container, hidden in pine trees. To test them, I hid them in our Christmas tree and had every geocacher that visited try to find them. They were loc'n'locs covered in cammo tape and fake pine branches, snipped from banister garlands. I learned they were pretty effective.

Last year, around Christmas, I put out a small and large container, hidden in pine trees. To test them, I hid them in our Christmas tree and had every geocacher that visited try to find them. They were loc'n'locs covered in cammo tape and fake pine branches, snipped from banister garlands. I learned they were pretty effective.
...and you didn't invite me??? OK... what time (and at what coordinates) is Christmas dinner THIS year? :huh:

If it were me, by the way, I would have hollowed out the base of the tree and stuck a Bison tube in there. Let them take the lights and ornaments off, unscrew the tree stand, dump out the water, grab the cache, sign the log, and then put it all back together again!

Haven't done that, but I'm planning on hiding the kids "big" gift this year somewhere in our back yard or the neighbors. Give them a slip of paper with the coords, the gps, and tell them have at it.

Is there a FTF prize with that?

Well I guess you could say that. The kids would certainly think so!

I thought about it, but realized I wouldn't have the tree up* for the three months needed to list a cache. Besides, the FTF hounds would probably come knocking at my door at some unholy hour of the night and disturb our slumber...

Don't worry, some of us are very creative in the middle of the night... :ph34r:

What is this "Christmas tree" of which you speak?

I think it's a little like the aluminum Festivus Pole brought out for the airing of grievances.

I like this idea. The tree is in the front window. Hang the bison on there where all searchers can see it. Make sure the door is locked at all times. Let's see who the person is that's bold enough to smash the front window to get the FTF. :blink::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Oooh, that sounds evil... Nice idea... Since I'll be too lazy to take down the tree before April, that'll work good.

...and you didn't invite me??? OK... what time (and at what coordinates) is Christmas dinner THIS year? :lol:

Silly Knowschad, dogs aren't allowed at the table! :P

I've been hiding the same bison tube in our tree for the last four years. The wife never finds it until she takes it down after the holidays.

I'm surprised she hasn't thrown in in the trash...

LOL, I'm trying that!

for Christmas this year im planning on proposing to my girlfriend and i was thinking about hiding the ring inside the box in the tree on Christmas day and seeing if she notices and if not ill go get and say whats this pull it out and pop the question. so i guess thats similar