Buying a Delorme PN-40

Swampbilly

With your permission, MC, I'll add that to the wiki.

Hi. Feel free to add it if you want and also feel free to tweak the wording if you find you can clarify my jumbled thoughts. Between lack of quality sleep and lack of caffeine coursing through my system this morning it was kind of hard to get my thoughts expressed. I'm glad it's something that others can use. Happy caching! :)

Edit to add: Hi Highlandermike. I'm glad you were able to get past that problem. It sure can be frustrating until you get the workaround. Happy caching! :)

Hi Norm. I'd never thought about the fact that maybe others weren't aware of that particular workaround. I will do as you suggested and post it in the Delorme forum you suggested. Have a great day! :D

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Now a question :

Does the act of having an incomplete/failed download moved from 'pending' to 'history' preclude one from future

attempts to "re-download" the selection w/out a phone call(to DeLorme) to purge and reestablish a fresh history.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Now a question :

Does the act of having an incomplete/failed download moved from 'pending' to 'history' preclude one from future

attempts to "re-download" the selection w/out a phone call(to DeLorme) to purge and reestablish a fresh history.

Norm

Hi Norm. I just did a little experiment with the small town of Rudyard, MI and ordered aerial imagery of it and then I moved it to the History section using the steps I outlined earlier. Then I went back to resubmit a map request for the town afterwards and the only downside I saw was that it wouldn't allow me to reuse the name "Rudyard" since I'd already used that name earlier. So I changed the name of my download to "Rudyard1" just to make it slightly different than the name already on file and it went through just fine once it had a unique name that I hadn't used earlier. I checked out the aerial imagery itself and don't see any difference in quality compared to a "normal" one. Have a great day! :D

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

With your permission, MC, I'll add that to the wiki.

Hi. Feel free to add it if you want and also feel free to tweak the wording if you find you can clarify my jumbled thoughts. Between lack of quality sleep and lack of caffeine coursing through my system this morning it was kind of hard to get my thoughts expressed. I'm glad it's something that others can use. Happy caching! :D

Done! If anybody has any corrections or suggestions for improvement, let me know.

I finally gave up on both the battery issue and the software issue after fighting with it for three weeks. I sent it back.

I'm sure that if I would have had the patience to wait until they fixed the problem it would eventually get fixed but I bill my clients at the rate of $200 per hour so waiting on hold for an hour and then working with tech support for another hour would have cost me $400 or more.

I just need a machine that is not complicated and works right out of the box.

I'm sure for gadget fanatics the DeLorme is great but for those of us who like it simple and easy to understand, it's just not a good fit.

Thanks for the advise

I finally gave up on both the battery issue and the software issue after fighting with it for three weeks. I sent it back.

I'm sure that if I would have had the patience to wait until they fixed the problem it would eventually get fixed but I bill my clients at the rate of $200 per hour so waiting on hold for an hour and then working with tech support for another hour would have cost me $400 or more.

I just need a machine that is not complicated and works right out of the box.

I'm sure for gadget fanatics the DeLorme is great but for those of us who like it simple and easy to understand, it's just not a good fit.

Thanks for the advise

I'm guessing you didn't even call. Otherwise you'd know the hold time you think you might have endured is outrageously exaggerated.

Hmmmmm...........I have had mine for a week and couldn't imagine a unit being any easier to use out of the box. With very little effort and very little time spent on my part, this unit has been amazing!

Hopefully you find a unit that works for you, but I wouldn't get your hopes to high for an eaiser unit to use.

Hmmmmm...........I have had mine for a week and couldn't imagine a unit being any easier to use out of the box. With very little effort and very little time spent on my part, this unit has been amazing!

Hopefully you find a unit that works for you, but I wouldn't get your hopes to high for an eaiser unit to use.

The two largest factors that influence whether you have a good experience which is not passive (like a movie) are your expectations going into the experience, and what you put into it.

If you expect disappointment, and don't avail yourself of resources which are meant to assist you, you will be nothing but disappointed.

Edited by dakboy