Buying a Delorme PN-40

Swampbilly

I have been reading alot about paperless units. I have tried out the Colorado for geocaching, and currently own a Garmin 76CS and a 60CSX. I have decided on the Delorme but just have one more question about it? How is it when navigating on the road for trips and stuff. With the correct software loaded, can I find an address and then navigate to it like with the 60Csx and City Navigator? Does it do turn by turn directions. If there is already a forum or thread, I will gladly check it out. Thanks

While there are a few users who think the PN-40 does well with road navigation, I think the general consensus is that it's somewhat below average (and there are some who despise it for road routing). I find that it does a pretty good job for shorter routes (e.g., those you might use for a cache run), and it will route ok for me for other uses in a pinch...but I much prefer my dedicated Nuvi for anything but cache routing.

PN-40 pros:

- Autorouting capable with included TopoUSA software

- Able to include via points

- Provides turn-by-turn directions

Cons:

- Rather slow in route calculation

- This slowness can be aggravating trying to recalculate on the fly (e.g., after a missed turn). By the time a new route is calculated, changes from the original position require a new recalculation

- There seems to be higher than usual complaint of road inaccuracies (depends on area; it's pretty good around me)

- Address numbers are in blocks--destination is apt to be accurate to within, oh, half a block or so

- Find feature is kinda clunky and slow

- Fewer POIs than in most other road navigation software, and they tend to be less current

There are probably other things worth mentioning, but that's what comes off the top of my head. With the Black Friday deals that have been around, buying an inexpensive dedicated car GPS makes for a nice combination. Or, you could wait and see whether you're satisfied with what the PN provides. I think voice directions are worth their weight in, um, something valuable.

Edited by embra

That's pretty much what I was looking for. My 60CSx works great for navigating on the road , and caching, I really just want the paperless option. I would like voice directions but, having never had them, I don't know what I am missing lol. Ignorance is bliss I guess. But, with that being said, I will take a look at some of the dedicated car GPS prices. One more question too....is the PN-30 and 40 the same except for the electronic compass and altimeter?

Ha!! nevermind that last question...just answered it using the link at the bottom of your post embra. Thanks

Edited by Swampbilly

While you can only search addresses by blocks, if you're on the computer first, you can get door to door directioons from the TOPO 8 software with very little effort. Works like a charm and is easily transfered.

As for routing...while it is generally slow at calculating, I find it to be quite adequate for all my routing needs. I've used it to take me around town and hundreds of miles from home, no worries. While it does have it's problems, I wouldn't let those problems stop me from buying the unit. Having owned a Garmin OR 300, I can tell you my experiences with both are very similar as far as road accuracy goes.

These are my opinions, ymmv!

Thanks...I have been leaning towards a PN-40 for a while now but riding the fence between another Garmin or trying something new. I just ordered it, and it should be at home waiting for me when I graduate from school here in Missouri in a week. The wife doesn't know about it yet...I am thinking about surprising her with a slightly used 60Csx for Christmas lol. See if that will cool her down a bit.

I'm a little further over to Embra's side than Roddy's on this one.

In short, the DeLorme does a poorer job of routing than any of the Garmins the OP says he already has. And any Nuvi, StreetPilot, TomTom, iPhone, etc. will generally put an outdoors-oriented GPS to shame on this score.

As the OP already has multiple gadgets -- so why not get a car unit? Picking the right tool for the job is usually cheaper in the long run.

I am going to buy a dedicated car unit, but after this purchase that may be just a little longer. I was just wondering how the Delorme performed on the road. For now the 60 is doing just fine with road navigation, and I will continue to use it for that and everything else the 60 is good for.

One more question...can you use the maps from GPS file depot with the PN-40? I don't see any topo maps for Iraq and Afghanistan on the delorme site unless I'm not looking hard enough.

Edited by Swampbilly

I am going to buy a dedicated car unit, but after this purchase that may be just a little longer. I was just wondering how the Delorme performed on the road. For now the 60 is doing just fine with road navigation, and I will continue to use it for that and everything else the 60 is good for.

One more question...can you use the maps from GPS file depot with the PN-40? I don't see any topo maps for Iraq and Afghanistan on the delorme site unless I'm not looking hard enough.

Other than a base world map the Delorme map offerings are limited to the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Free maps on GPS file depot are not compatible.

Very poor auto-routing compared to even the garmin handhelds + City Navigator. Maps are topo-based so roads are often shifted a few 100 feet (common in my area)...POI database is very limited (out of date and a weird subsection of POI...maybe one out of 5 gas stations for example in my area...), road names are missing on many maps (State Road SR designations used instead...topo-based..), on and off ramps from freeways are often labeled as being there when it's really a bridge (again, common occurrence in my area but hey... you can submit an error report :angry:...), no one way tabulation, no ex-USA maps available, slow as a sloth covered in molasses, obtuse search for address (last thing you want with such a small screen and button entry), no intersection aid (ie zoom as you approach, text of correct road signs displayed)..these are all features that are on the garmin handhelds, as you know. If you have a road navigation unit coming, maybe buy that sooner rather than later if this unit is at $199. Or use the 60 for turn by turn still. If Delorme offered a premium option for accurate road mapping it would make quite a few people happy... weird to me as they offer the excellent road software for other platforms.

Edited by Maingray

Thanks I am going to continue using the 60 for turn by turn and when I deploy again, just take it with me with some free topo maps, and what Uncle Sam gives us and that should be enough. I have been over plenty of times without this stuff but anything that gives you an edge, is OK in my book, and a GPSr that you use everyday is alot more efficient than one "issued to you". IMO

Edited by Swampbilly

Hi, not to change the subject, but since myPN 40 will be here hopefully Monday, I have been reading so many forums, I get them spinning around in my head, here is the question, do I need the 32gb sd card ? if so where would be the best place to get one. Also I need to order the power kit, guess I will get that from amazon. Any way I am getting excited, I love new toys. I ordered cache register yesterday. Is there any thing else?

Edited by highlandermike

HighlanderMike: Your inquiry is a complete thread hijack -- so I shouldn't help you by telling you the PN-40 can use standard SD and SDHC cards. Nor should I offer my opinion on the "sweet-spot" of pricing for SDHC cards. 16GB seem to be bargain, and is big enough for most foilks. And since I don't want to promote any specific memory card vendors, I should only mention you can get spot pricing for many resellers at at http://www.dealram.com -- although NewEgg sometimes has even lower pricing than what you can find at DealRam.

Unless of course, any of those comments would be helpful the original topic of helping smeone buy a PN-40 :angry:

Edited by lee_rimar

. . . . . . If Delorme offered a premium option for accurate road mapping it would make quite a few people happy... weird to me as they offer the excellent road software for other platforms.

Maingray (and others) have critiqued the PN-30/40 device's road routing pluses and minuses pretty well, even down to specifying displeasure with road naming conventions of state highways. I do not presently own a modern Garmin gps for comparison, and only passed through North Carolina once in a single day, but would note on the plus side that the old yellow recycled etrex that my wife picked up for a few dollars seems quite light to carry and does not discharge the batteries when sitting on the shelf unused.

Seems to me that the main pluses and minuses of the Delorme PN-xx devices are derived from the fact that they evolved as partners to very powerful computer based mapping software. However, the PN-xx devices do not have the massive processing power of modern computers to give the same performance or monitor display form factor as a large Windows computer using similar software.

As to the misconception that Delorme PN devices do not interpolate exact street addresses from available vector block ranges, this is incorrect. They do interpolate correctly from available data, but typically assume that all blocks include building numbers from 1-100. In many cases, the street numnber range is narrowed down more exactly. Not infrequently the interpolation is made from an even larger range of vector ranges than a single block. If other brands of gps devices consistently do a better job in street address location, then they are to be commended.

Edited by 39_Steps

. . . . . . If Delorme offered a premium option for accurate road mapping it would make quite a few people happy... weird to me as they offer the excellent road software for other platforms.

Maingray (and others) have critiqued the PN-30/40 device's road routing pluses and minuses pretty well, even down to specifying displeasure with road naming conventions of state highways. I do not presently own a modern Garmin gps for comparison, and only passed through North Carolina once in a single day, but would note on the plus side that the old yellow recycled etrex that my wife picked up for a few dollars seems quite light to carry and does not discharge the batteries when sitting on the shelf unused.

Seems to me that the main pluses and minuses of the Delorme PN-xx devices are derived from the fact that they evolved as partners to very powerful computer based mapping software. However, the PN-xx devices do not have the massive processing power of modern computers to give the same performance or monitor display form factor as a large Windows computer using similar software.

As to the misconception that Delorme PN devices do not interpolate exact street addresses from available vector block ranges, this is incorrect. They do interpolate correctly from available data, but typically assume that all blocks include building numbers from 1-100. In many cases, the street numnber range is narrowed down more exactly. Not infrequently the interpolation is made from an even larger range of vector ranges than a single block. If other brands of gps devices consistently do a better job in street address location, then they are to be commended.

Does that yellow also keep track of where the sats are in the sky like the PNs do? That is a partial (if not primary??) reason for the "battery drain" while sitting on the shlelf, my friend! If you know you're going to leave the unit on the shelf for a week or more, pulling batteries (if you're not using the battery pak which is rechargeable in the unit) is a simple thing, one I do for most ANY device I know I'm going to leave unused for a period of time.

Although the unit suffers a little on recalc, it isn't so bad that it's junk, I don't see a problem (and I know, I am of the minority here). Truly though, if I was so worried about driving instructions, I'd own a car nav device. No handheld will do what they do as far as speaking and features are concerned. And last, since the PNs were not made primarily for car nav, I'd not expect them to work as such, rather I'm pleasantly surprised that it does that job saving me more $$$...since I can accept the flaws and live with it! :unsure:

YMMV!!

...keep(ing) track of where the sats are in the sky ... is a partial (if not primary??) reason for the "battery drain" while sitting on the shelf..
That's an interesting explanation I hadn't heard before. Where did you find that?

Has it not been mentioned a few times in different threads? If I am mistken, please point me in the right direction! :unsure:

...keep(ing) track of where the sats are in the sky ... is a partial (if not primary??) reason for the "battery drain" while sitting on the shelf..
That's an interesting explanation I hadn't heard before. Where did you find that?

Has it not been mentioned a few times in different threads? If I am mistken, please point me in the right direction! :unsure:

I'm aware of speculation it may be to keep the clock active so the predictive ephemeris may work correctly based on current time and the last time the ephemeris was updated. Is this perhaps what you meant?

My experience with GPS receivers that indicate the exact address or indicate a block of addresses is that both of them get you to within 50-100 feet of the actual location of said address. I have yet to see any major difference in how it is handled. My take is DeLorme is at least more honest about the indication you're going to see this range of addresses from this location versus this is where the GPS receiver thinks the actual address will be.

If other brands of gps devices consistently do a better job in street address location, then they are to be commended.
I have yet to see a GPS device - whether it be hand-held, windshield-mounted car-oriented GPS, or navigation built into a car from the factory, locate my parents' house. It's in an 800-house subdivision which has existed for over 50 years, so it's not like the street names or numbering are recent developments.

Their brand-new Kia's on-board navigation puts the house at the opposite end of the street unless they use a bogus house number. Their 2004 Dodge Ram - same thing. Their NavMan windshield-mounted GPS - same. My Magellan Maestro - same.

Yet Google and just about any other online mapping/directions website I've used gets it right every time.

Edited by dakboy
Has it not been mentioned a few times in different threads?
I haven't seen it suggested anywhere before you said it this morning. DeLorme's own explanation of battery draw while the PN-40 is powered off is to keep the internal clock running. That's quite a bit different (and less) than "keeping track of where the sats are in the sky."

On the other hand, if it really is ALWAYS running calculations against the stored predictive ephemeris, projecting forward satellite positions -- even when it's supposedly powered off -- that would be a new trick. So... if someone told you, or you read somewhere, that the PN-40 really could do that, I'd love to check the original source info. Otherwise I'd have to believe you misunderstood something you read.

Edited by lee_rimar

Interesting idea, but kind of doubt that it's that smart (or that dumb). There are definite limits to what you can do with predictive ephemeris. Have seen some claims (for server-processed data in an A-GPS environment) of 3 to 7 days of useful life. Presumably, the server does more processing than is practical on the unit. And the A-GPS data produced by the server will include ephemerides for all satellites, not just the ones for which the unit has initial data. No idea about the accuracy of the initial fix using predictive data that old.

Edited to add: With the 2.5 f/w release, DeLorme claimed predictive ephemeris validity of 2 days. Also mentioned a limit of a 100 mile radius, with baffles me a bit.

Edited by twolpert

The predicted ephemeris is a standard on the chips that both the Oregons ("hotfix") and PN40 use.. it downloads enough ephemeris data for the next few days (5 days for Garmins, dunno about Delorme) to know where to instantly start looking when it's turned on .. it needs it's internal clock on all the time to do this.

Edited by Maingray

"Having the internal clock on all the time" is not a unique feature to the PN-40, nor should it be a big drain on the battery.

I have a gadget that displays the time constantly, and checks by shortwave every morning around 0200 local time to adjust the time down to the millisecond. It gets correction data from Ft. Collins. I haven't had to change the tiny CR2032 battery in three years.

It's a wristwatch.

Edited by lee_rimar

The predicted ephemeris is a standard on the chips that both the Oregons ("hotfix") and PN40 use.. it downloads enough ephemeris data for the next few days (5 days for Garmins, dunno about Delorme) to know where to instantly start looking when it's turned on .. it needs it's internal clock on all the time to do this.

Does this mean I was kinda right or just plain crazy?

I wouldn't know where to begin looking, but I did here it in these forums. There's no way I'd imagine this either, I'm just not smart enough to...lol

Does this mean I was kinda right or just plain crazy?
One has nothing to do with the other :unsure:

...no way I'd imagine this either, I'm just not smart enough to...lol
I was kinda wondering about that. If you imagined it, I'd give you points for creativity and technical sophistication -- and wonder if the technical naivete you often claim is just a ruse.

ANYHOW, just keeping track of the time isn't a good enough reason for the batteries to run down as fast as they do when the GPS is off -- unless it's an awfully power-hungry clock! Running some other calculations in the background might be some tightly held company secret we're not supposed to know about.

Edited by lee_rimar

"Having the internal clock on all the time" is not a unique feature to the PN-40, nor should it be a big drain on the battery.

I have a gadget that displays the time constantly, and checks by shortwave every morning around 0200 local time to adjust the time down to the millisecond. It gets correction data from Ft. Collins. I haven't had to change the tiny CR2032 battery in three years.

It's a wristwatch.

Exactly. Something is drawing power. Maybe it needs power to make them THAT orange?

It's a wristwatch.

Exactly. Something is drawing power. Maybe it needs power to make them THAT orange?

Well... it is easy to find in the dark. :unsure:

Bought a PN-40 a few weeks ago and having buyers remorse. Accuracy is great but the recharge last less then 30 minutes. Also. I'm a Mac guy and the only software made for DeLorme and Mac is by DeLorme and it crashes on start up. I can't get it to work and I can't get DeLorme to help me.

On the Lithium R-CRV 3 battery, did you let it charge for 18-24 hours before first use (you know,

just like the lithium battery in your cell phone)?

I know that DeLorme has built an installer(like it's a necessity :) (well, it is if you can't

launch an .exe on a Mac)) for installing firmware, and an dashboard widget for CacheRegister,

Oh, . . . and data delorme(such as it is). Were you writing of some other specific Mac wares

published by DeLorme?

Norm

Bought a PN-40 a few weeks ago and having buyers remorse. Accuracy is great but the recharge last less then 30 minutes. Also. I'm a Mac guy and the only software made for DeLorme and Mac is by DeLorme and it crashes on start up. I can't get it to work and I can't get DeLorme to help me.

Is this an example of that which is termed SPAM?

This is about the fourth thread in which I've read this.

Speaking of batteries,, did Delorme ever fix that "death by polarity" problem?

Apparently if you ever "accidentally" stick an AA battery into the Delorme upside-down (easy to do if you're in a dark room or just not paying attention) and turn it on, it would literally fry the GPS and turn it into a brick.. never to work again until it's sent to Delorme for physical repair :)

Apparently if you ever "accidentally" stick an AA battery into the Delorme upside-down (easy to do if you're in a dark room or just not paying attention) and turn it on, it would literally fry the GPS and turn it into a brick.. never to work again until it's sent to Delorme for physical repair :)

I haven't heard of it at all with PN-30s, and the rate of this being reported seems to have dropped significantly over the past couple months. So it's possible that a mid-product-cycle change was made.

That doesn't mean it isn't happening. Only DeLorme would have real statistics on it.

Edited by dakboy

Believe that it was fixed. Chip Noble mentioned it in a podcast a while back. However, there was no indication of a serial number/production date cutoff -- so there is no way to tell about a PN-40. If memory serves, the podcast pre-dated the introduction of the PN-30, so I assume they are OK.

Is this an example of that which is termed SPAM?

This is about the fourth thread in which I've read this.

Yes and he's not following his own threads. Caleb has already invited him to call in and reference Caleb's post.

Edited by TotemLake

I have been reading alot about paperless units. I have tried out the Colorado for geocaching, and currently own a Garmin 76CS and a 60CSX. I have decided on the Delorme but just have one more question about it? How is it when navigating on the road for trips and stuff. With the correct software loaded, can I find an address and then navigate to it like with the 60Csx and City Navigator? Does it do turn by turn directions. If there is already a forum or thread, I will gladly check it out. Thanks

You'll find the PN-40 to be quite a step down from your 60 series with City Nav when it comes to routing. Besides basic routes, City nav data has a lot more information the gps to use that helps in navigation, such as left turn, one way street, and other things that will often cause frustration with the Delorme. That said, the idea of going with a dedicated road navigation unit is by far the best. They can be picked up for not much more than the mapping software on it's own, and are considerably more useful on the road than the handhelds in my opinion.

As for the handheld functions, you'll like the paperless functions, and the 3 axis compass. In my opinion, the 60 does most other things a little better with the exception of course the aerial maps.

Hi, well I am liking my PN40, I got it figured out how to get the aerial imagery on thanks to the help I got here. Today I got the power kit from Amazon, and was really happy that it came with the screen protecters. Well first thing I put the rechargeable battery pack in and plugged it in to the wall to charge and the Pn said it was charged, so I unplugged it and it promptly went off. So I reread the book and according to it the battery shows charged up. So I am thinking I have a defective battery pack. Bummer, I did make sure it said in device set-up that the battery is set to Delorme li-ion rechargeable batteries. Has this happened to any one else?

Hi, well I am liking my PN40, I got it figured out how to get the aerial imagery on thanks to the help I got here. Today I got the power kit from Amazon, and was really happy that it came with the screen protecters. Well first thing I put the rechargeable battery pack in and plugged it in to the wall to charge and the Pn said it was charged, so I unplugged it and it promptly went off. So I reread the book and according to it the battery shows charged up. So I am thinking I have a defective battery pack. Bummer, I did make sure it said in device set-up that the battery is set to Delorme li-ion rechargeable batteries. Has this happened to any one else?

It has. Call DeLorme support in the morning and see about getting that taken care of.

Yes, the Li-Ion battery pack could be bad.

I had one that was bad and DeLorme replaced it.

However, as you can't call now until Mon AM, and to be sure,

sometimes they need a real, long time charge at first.

With the Li-Ion battery in the PN-40 and the -40 in the OFF state,

connect it to the power source.

Then press the ON-OFF-Pwr button all the way down to where you feel it and then release.

Do not hold it down as long as you do to boot it up.

In a minute the screen should flicker and then it should say "Charge Complete", very dimly.

Then in a few seconds, if not fully charged, the display to "Charging" with a scrolling indication.

I would allow 12 hours for this first, long charge.

Then boot it up and let it run.

Here are my good-bad, rule of thumb, criteria:

Runs less than 1 hour - BAD

Runs at least 4 hours - GOOD

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Hi ok for some reason I followed your instructions and it is now charging. Ok another question, when I am downloading aerial imagery, why does it get right to the end and all of a sudden it pops up that the download failed.

very annoying. also is there anyway to just delete the downloads i don't really want, well because I made them kind of big and I get really tired of waiting for them to download, so I would like to do some smaller ones but it says I have 3 pending and need to download them first? I know, I need to start reading this thread all over and the others, I am sure it is written some place. I just want aerial all over my area, but it takes forever, can you buy it already done on the cds? Thanks again

Hi ok for some reason I followed your instructions and it is now charging. Ok another question, when I am downloading aerial imagery, why does it get right to the end and all of a sudden it pops up that the download failed.

very annoying. also is there anyway to just delete the downloads i don't really want, well because I made them kind of big and I get really tired of waiting for them to download, so I would like to do some smaller ones but it says I have 3 pending and need to download them first? I know, I need to start reading this thread all over and the others, I am sure it is written some place. I just want aerial all over my area, but it takes forever, can you buy it already done on the cds? Thanks again

Unfortunately, you can't cancel/delete the pending downloads without calling support.

Don't know why you're having failure issues, again, perhaps support might be able help there. Things to consider are flakey connection, flakey router or network adapter or cabling. Flakey service and finally, just pure problems at DeLorme's end which will happen when the server is on high demand mode which is likely considering the huge drop in price on the unit.

Even with a good connection, it does take time. It took me most of the year to get the whole state in CDOQQ and whatever was available for Hi-Res.

Hello. It sounds like you are having the same frustration I occasionally run up against. If you follow the following steps it will make the situation easier to deal with (it won't help your download failure rate go down, but it will make it easier to work around). If you're getting hit with the 3 pending downlooads message because you either have failed or just unwanted downloads still pending in your downloads area it's pretty easy to correct.

1. Select the first download you want to get moved from your download area to the history area (basically it's sort of like you're cancelling that order, while I'm pretty sure that technically that's probably not a correct explanation that's how I think of it).

2. Next at the bottom of the download area click the button to download that selected map segment or aerial image.

3. As soon as you see the download start to process hit the cancel button on the download dialog box where it shows the progress of your download.

4. Be prepared because after you cancell the download it will automatically restart the download you just hit the cancell button for. As soon as it restarts repeat Step #3 above.

5. After you cancell it the 2nd time then you will see your dialog box at the bottom of the page change to a kind of dark gray color (sorry I'm colorblind so the dark gray part may be wrong due to my bad eyes). One of the options described in that area is to move the offending download from the Downloads section to the History section. Click to send it to History and your headache is gone.

6. Start repeating the process all over until all the downloads you want to get rid of are gone. As long as downloads are sitting in the Download section they count in that you already have 3 downloads pending formula (sorry I know formula is not the best word but it's early and I"m still needing more caffeine).

Hopefully this will help you out. Why do download failures happen? I don't know, but like you I've gone to downloading smaller segments so that way if it does fail I don't have an hours time wasted.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Hello. It sounds like you are having the same frustration I occasionally run up against. If you follow the following steps it will make the situation easier to deal with (it won't help your download failure rate go down, but it will make it easier to work around). If you're getting hit with the 3 pending downlooads message because you either have failed or just unwanted downloads still pending in your downloads area it's pretty easy to correct.

1. Select the first download you want to get moved from your download area to the history area (basically it's sort of like you're cancelling that order, while I'm pretty sure that technically that's probably not a correct explanation that's how I think of it).

2. Next at the bottom of the download area click the button to download that selected map segment or aerial image.

3. As soon as you see the download start to process hit the cancel button on the download dialog box where it shows the progress of your download.

4. Be prepared because after you cancell the download it will automatically restart the download you just hit the cancell button for. As soon as it restarts repeat Step #3 above.

5. After you cancell it the 2nd time then you will see your dialog box at the bottom of the page change to a kind of dark gray color (sorry I'm colorblind so the dark gray part may be wrong due to my bad eyes). One of the options described in that area is to move the offending download from the Downloads section to the History section. Click to send it to History and your headache is gone.

6. Start repeating the process all over until all the downloads you want to get rid of are gone. As long as downloads are sitting in the Download section they count in that you already have 3 downloads pending formula (sorry I know formula is not the best word but it's early and I"m still needing more caffeine).

Hopefully this will help you out. Why do download failures happen? I don't know, but like you I've gone to downloading smaller segments so that way if it does fail I don't have an hours time wasted.

Good luck! :)

M.Cacheman : I've not seen that process described before, that could save users a lot of grief.

Please present it over where the lion's share of PN users dwell :

http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=5...178b9e68217341a

This link is to the "Tips & Tricks" section.

Norm