New Oregon 300 Owner Needs Help

out12

Headed out today for some caching with my new Oregon 300. I had used THIS MACRO in GSAK to load a GPX file onto the microSD card. Stopped at the first three caches and all went well but then I was going to head for another and it wasn't showing up in the list of caches. Searched by name and still wasn't showing. Several of the other caches I went to did not show in the list (good thing I brought the Vista). After getting back home I opened the GPX file that had been loaded and the caches that weren't showing were in the file when I opened it using another application. So there is issue number 1. Issue 2 is now I have tried to load a new GPX file and the Oregon says there are no geocaches loaded. I have tried using the macro, loading them manually, loading to the internal memory but nothing shows up on the Oregon's geocaching list. Checked the files in Mass Storage mode and they are showing up but the Oregon isn't showing any caches in the list. Issue number 3. The Oregon sometimes hangs when I start it up. This seems to happen after disconnecting from the computer. The startup screen shows and then it seems to hang up. Sometimes it seems to fade out to nothing and then restart. I always use the safely remove hardware when disconnecting. So can anyone offer some suggestions?

OK I may be all set though I am not sure why. Looking through the Oregon wiki I saw something about startup problems caused by the startup message. I have eliminated it and tried again and now the GPX file seems to be working. As for the startup issue that hasn't changed. If I restart it and then plug i the usb cable its fine but if I start it with the cable attatched I have a problem. I have the interface set to Spanner. Will try changing to serial and see what happens.

Have you exceeded the 2000 cache or 200 file limits?

I would suggest:

1) Delete all GPX files on the unit.

2) Start the unit up.

3) Shut down and add in the file again.

Nope. only about 900 caches and 1 GPX file. Been doing a lot of deleting and restarting with no luck. May have the GPX file working now but not sure why.

Just tried restarting on a different profile with the interface set to serial and it seems to have solved the startup issue. I'll just have to remember to use the proper profile when I connect to use the Mass Storage mode. I'll keep trying things and see if I can narrow down some possible causes.

Been trying a few things and I think I have found a possible cause for the hang at startup. I removed the sd card and started all over. With the card out everything was fine. Put the card back in and same problems. Deleted everything from the card and put it in and all seems to work. Now I have reloaded a GPX using the GSAK macro and restarted and everything looks fine. The only thing I see now is after loading the new file it took a long time for the GPS to get through the startup but I assume that is because of the new file being loaded. I am guessing that there was a problem with something I had on the card that was causing all the issues, I hope! Still have to try to reload the custom maps I had and see if that changes anything. Hope this solves everything because even with these problems I am liking the unit.

Been trying a few things and I think I have found a possible cause for the hang at startup. I removed the sd card and started all over. With the card out everything was fine. Put the card back in and same problems. Deleted everything from the card and put it in and all seems to work. Now I have reloaded a GPX using the GSAK macro and restarted and everything looks fine. The only thing I see now is after loading the new file it took a long time for the GPS to get through the startup but I assume that is because of the new file being loaded. I am guessing that there was a problem with something I had on the card that was causing all the issues, I hope! Still have to try to reload the custom maps I had and see if that changes anything. Hope this solves everything because even with these problems I am liking the unit.

What size sd card are you using. The max that the Oregon 300 supports is 4 gb.

OldA'sFan

What size sd card are you using. The max that the Oregon 300 supports is 4 gb.

OldA'sFan

It is a 4 GB

Hi

I may be wrong here but.....

I am sure that i have read that you should not put the GPX files on the SD card but put them in the GPX file in the garmin unit.

This is how i have been doing it since i got mine, and i have not had this problem.

Although since the last update i have had a few issues with freezing, although i have read that there is a new update (just today).

The unit may be hanging on start up due to info on the card which has to be read before it can start.

i think the unit only likes .img files on the SD card for maps. and pics

Hi

I may be wrong here but.....

I am sure that i have read that you should not put the GPX files on the SD card but put them in the GPX file in the garmin unit.

This is how i have been doing it since i got mine, and i have not had this problem.

Although since the last update i have had a few issues with freezing, although i have read that there is a new update (just today).

The unit may be hanging on start up due to info on the card which has to be read before it can start.

i think the unit only likes .img files on the SD card for maps. and pics

According to what I read HERE you can and I now have. You have to create a folder for it on the card. Seems to be working now so I am thinking there was a problem with something on the card before.