Trails in mapsource not appearing in GPSr

ras_oscar

there really was a question. Lets see if I can remember it fully...

Downloaded OSM routable maps and GPS FileDepot topos. The OSM maps have trails shown in certain areas. Trails show up in mapsource. Send to GPS combined with topo maps with "highest" detail selected in mapsource. Trails do not show up on the GPSr, even when I turn the topo off. detail on GPSr set to higest detail, declutter off. Any Ideas?

Using Garmin Etrex Vista HCX with maps on a Micro SD card.

On your unit.....go to map page and hit menu

toggle over to blue flag icon at top

see what the settings are below, should see choices for Map Points,User Waypoints, Street Label, Land Cover

Choices are Off, Auto, multiple "xx" distance choices for each.

Your choices for each determine at what level they start becoming visible on map.

Are any set to "off" ?, or are they on "Auto", or set to some distance" ?

there really was a question. Lets see if I can remember it fully...

Downloaded OSM routable maps and GPS FileDepot topos. The OSM maps have trails shown in certain areas. Trails show up in mapsource. Send to GPS combined with topo maps with "highest" detail selected in mapsource. Trails do not show up on the GPSr, even when I turn the topo off. detail on GPSr set to higest detail, declutter off. Any Ideas?

Using Garmin Etrex Vista HCX with maps on a Micro SD card.

Is there anything else on the OSM maps but trails? Can you see other parts of those maps, so that you know the maps are loaded? If they're loaded, follow GrassCatcher's advice above.

Edited by seldom_sn

On your unit.....go to map page and hit menu

toggle over to blue flag icon at top

see what the settings are below, should see choices for Map Points,User Waypoints, Street Label, Land Cover

Choices are Off, Auto, multiple "xx" distance choices for each.

Your choices for each determine at what level they start becoming visible on map.

Are any set to "off" ?, or are they on "Auto", or set to some distance" ?

Map points 2 miles

Usee waypoints 1.2 miles

street label auto

Land Cover auto

Is there anything else on the OSM maps but trails? Can you see other parts of those maps, so that you know the maps are loaded? If they're loaded, follow GrassCatcher's advice above.

have loaded OSM routable and gpsfiledepot topo.

not sure if it's relevant, but the trails in question were NOT a part of the original download. Went back to OSM and saw the trails had recently been added, so i dlded those tiles and added them to the directory with the others. About 6 tiles or so. Since they appeared in Mapsource I figured if i recombined and resent they would be there. Did not recompile the tiles in the set, just let mapsource resend.

not sure if it's relevant, but the trails in question were NOT a part of the original download. Went back to OSM and saw the trails had recently been added, so i dlded those tiles and added them to the directory with the others. About 6 tiles or so. Since they appeared in Mapsource I figured if i recombined and resent they would be there. Did not recompile the tiles in the set, just let mapsource resend.

Ahhh. You cannot do that. The TDB file will be messed up and you are lucky not to have crashed Mapsource.

Ahhh. You cannot do that. The TDB file will be messed up and you are lucky not to have crashed Mapsource.

Guess the Mapsource gods are smiling today. I presume the .img files are the individual tiles. What are the .TBD and .mdr.img files for?

What is the proper way to update tiles, or should I just trash the segment and overburden the osm servers with requests for entire segments just to update 1 or 2 tiles? I realize OSM is a free resource provided out of the kindness of strangers. Want to use it wisely.

Edited by ras_oscar

Guess the Mapsource gods are smiling today. I presume the .img files are the individual tiles. What are the .TBD and .mdr.img files for?

What is the proper way to update tiles, or should I just trash the segment and overburden the osm servers with requests for entire segments just to update 1 or 2 tiles? I realize OSM is a free resource provided out of the kindness of strangers. Want to use it wisely.

ras_oscar, looks like you are getting the hang of it. If the tiles with the trails, replaced tiles of the same name (and size?) without the trails, my experience is that MapSource won't know the difference.

The 63240000.TDB and IMG files are the minimum MapSource needs to locate the positions of the tiles. I'm pretty sure the 6324000.IMG is necessary to get the pink export highlight in MapSource. I suspect the MDR files are some sort of global indexing, but maybe there's an OSM wizard viewing this group who can share some expertise.

You realize your punishment for answering a question is you get another question.

Do you use MKGMAP or MapSetToolkit to update the .img and .tbd files? Do those applications do essentiallty the same thing or is there a fundamental difference? I'd REALLy like to use one or the other to join multiple tiles into a single .img file of OSM routable that I can install on mapsource instead of this kludged uprocess of installing segments on top of each other. Even the process that GPSFileDepot uses is a a little better, as I can select from multiple segments by switching tabs.

When I tried MapSetToolkit it refused to complete the process. Over at the Gpsfiledepot forum I was advised that the current build of mkgmap doesn't work on OSM tiles, and the OSM forum isn't accepting new registrations.

whine whine whine. I'll shut up now.

Do you use MKGMAP or MapSetToolkit to update the .img and .tbd files? Do those applications do essentiallty the same thing or is there a fundamental difference?

You can have GPSfiledepot and OSM maps in MapSource and on your GPSr, but your life will be a whole lot easier if you keep them as separate "families" with separate TDBs.

mkgmap and MapSetToolKit do exactly the same thing, but they do it to different data. A mkgmap(OSM) derived IMG is different from a cgpsmapper derived IMG. cgpsmapper will choke on an OSM derived IMG. Since MapSetToolKit is a front end for cgpsmapper, you can't use MapSetToolKit with OSM derived IMG.

To date I have never used MapSetToolKit. I keep telling myself that I need to, so that I can talk to all you folks who use it, but it's just a front end and I do my map compiles from batch files on the command line, pretty much right out of the cgpsmapper manual and the mkgmap non-manual. I'm pretty sure that the problem with MapSetToolKit and OSM files comes when MapSetToolkit tries to run Cpreview on a mkgmap file. That's where it failed when I tried to combine OSM and cgpsmapper files into the same TDB.

soooooo... if i'm working on files from GPSFileDepot use MapSetToolkigt, and if I'm working on files fro OSM I use MkGmap. That explains a lot.

And if I have several areas of topo from gpsfiledepot I want to join in mapsource i would:

1. copy all the numbered.img files into a separate directory, except for the following: 63240000.img, 63240000.tbd, and 63240000_mdr.img

2. run MapSetToolkit against the directory, generating new 63240000 files excluded from above

3. Check off the box that says "install into mapsource"

4. uninstall the duplicate topo once the new combined is in.

If I wanted to do th same with osd I'd use MKGMAP to do the same thing, once again uninstalling the dupes with mapsourcetoolkit.

Has anyone written a graphical front end for MKGMAP or do I need to make my batch files to run against the combined directory each time I replace tiles?