Got any geocoin errors? Let's see 'em!

Team PEZ

One of the geocoins I designed and was produced by another vendor came from the mint with almost all wrong tracking numbers. Of 100 coins 12 had usable numbers

Many were duplicated (one was used 8 times) and others even belonged to a completely different vendor!

On top of that they mixed up the enamel on two versions finishes -- can't explain that one :lol:

The whole lot was remade. I do however now have 6 coins with tracking #s that can't be activated. ;)

Oh!!! I love error coins!

I only have one, a boumerang geocoin I won in a cointest! The prize was an error coin and you had to say why you would like to have an error coin in your collection! I explained why and I was the lucky receiver of it!!!

The error is that the color is mixed in some places....

I love error coins because they are so unique! Each one has something different to tell you... a story that is not like the story of all the others of that design.... :lol:

I have 500 Error Look Twice Coins, where the mint did not add yellow to the text on the inner ring...Recessed metal on Black Nickel...you can't even read the text. They reminted the whole order. They will eventually be put to good use.

I also have another batch of coins that I ordered which came with errors on about 75 percent of the coins...I don't really want to say which ones, but almost all the errors are missing color in different places on the coins...one has a burnt out headlight on the car.

And I have an error BrokenW coin.

My most recent sample order for my Personal Coins were made with the wrong die on the back(they used the original Nomad desigh, rather than the one intended for color fill)Maybe I should have a cointest for one of those

I have 500 Error Look Twice Coins, where the mint did not add yellow to the text on the inner ring...Recessed metal on Black Nickel...you can't even read the text. They reminted the whole order. They will eventually be put to good use.

I also have another batch of coins that I ordered which came with errors on about 75 percent of the coins...I don't really want to say which ones, but almost all the errors are missing color in different places on the coins...one has a burnt out headlight on the car.

My most recent sample order for my Personal Coins were made with the wrong die on the back(they used the original Nomad desigh, rather than the one intended for color fill)Maybe I should have a cointest for one of those

Please please please... can I see a photo of the LT error coins (one coin) and the new error one??? Please???

WOW!! 500 error coins??? Hmm... can I have one?? :lol:

The new coin with the wrong back desing are mules!! WOW!!! Interesting coins!!!!!!! Very interesting ones!!!!

Please please please... can I see a photo of the LT error coins (one coin) and the new error one??? Please???

WOW!! 500 error coins??? Hmm... can I have one?? :lol:

The new coin with the wrong back desing are mules!! WOW!!! Interesting coins!!!!!!! Very interesting ones!!!!

The 500 LT coins are in storage for now, I'll have to get pics of those later(Nikos, I might be able to get you a couple but I have plans to use them to raise awareness still). Here are pics of my personal after minting correctly, and the error samples...

The correctly minted Coins...

755f637d-eb38-452e-8349-9f24ed5177ff.jpg

The error samples...

7a8dfeb3-acff-4f24-83aa-cd3a89297761.jpg

photo by Chris Rake

oups wait.... the error samples photo shows.... 6 or 3 coins???

I am lost now... they used the GCfest sade and on the other instead ofthe R

they used the nomad??????

No, the error was very small. Crake's nomad coins have no color on the back, but they have a pattern of raised lines behind the text. To make my Look Twice(and my Personals) with the color on the back, we had to make a new die without these patterns. You can see on the erroe samples that they used the original die with Crake's pettern under the color(you can see it poking through)

This difference was important on the Look Twice Coins, because to make them look more like traffic signs we needed to use Black Nickel, but the patterened back of the original Nomads would look terrible in Black Nickel.

I'll try to get some pictures with the Errors and the final coins together in the same picture.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Oh!!! The lines!!! Yes! I can see them!!! I checked my LT coins that have the same back side and there was not lines! :lol:

I see what you meant for the error LT coins too!! That's why you coulnd't even read the text.....

The other coins ....the 75% with errors... are your coins or you bought them?

This is a coin I received from one of Avroair's coin sales. The original owner of the coin posted this about the coin:

"This is my accidental mint error sample coin. Isn't it cool! I'm glad I got to keep it! The coin on the Left is the sample. They made the width what was supposed to be the height, making it twice as big as it was supposed to be!"

a91bdebb-f816-4a46-a922-df78cb4c60f.jpg

ILYK

This is a coin I received from one of Avroair's coin sales. The original owner of the coin posted this about the coin:

"This is my accidental mint error sample coin. Isn't it cool! I'm glad I got to keep it! The coin on the Left is the sample. They made the width what was supposed to be the height, making it twice as big as it was supposed to be!"

ILYK

Wow, That's a really cool one...they made a HUGE die for that.

ILYK

WOW!!!! Nice error!!! :lol:

I have 200 "Travelling Ladybird Stamp: North America" with wrong trackingcodes at home... mint just engraved the "South&Central America" trackingcodes ... ;) ...

I'll do some art with these error-coins.

And I've seen that the "Bewitched" coins have a spelling-error: "trackabel" instead of "trackable" :lol:

Edited by wenzelbub

Awhile back I traded to get a Prowler53 Paw geocoin. When I received it, it was already activated by a cacher across the country. After a few confusing emails we discovered we both had the same coin with the same tracking number. I was a bit bummed as it took me forever to find one and there is no way to get a replacement. In the end having a duplicate is better then non at all. I can still show it off in my coin binder, I just don't let anyone "discover" it.

Hi

We've got some errors on "Figueira da Foz Geocoin" an 2008 production from a friend geocacher.

Acasim's photos tell us the whole story :unsure: guess what's the good one :unsure::unsure::unsure:

aserror1xm3.jpg

Paulo aka PLnauta

geocacherzone.pt

That's right, some of these coins had quite unusual errors. And the photo above does not show all of them.

The photo below shows the two error coins that I still keep (on the right). On the left, that's a BN correct version.

The right-side coin not only has the outer text in the wrong position, but also misses some white dots. A lot of errors indeed :unsure: :unsure:

axcvt1.jpg

Btw, if someone has a good version of the silver coin, I'll be interested :ph34r::lol:

Antonio

I have some coins with error on them, like a black spot in white field, black spot in transparent field, mission colour in small field, missing white in eyes, those kind of errors. Some are hard to see there is anything wrong but as the designer of the coins I know it is there. They are trackable, not samples, not activated.

Would anyone buy such a coin or trade for it?

Curious to know and I haven´t decided yet how to do.

grodan Karin

WI_Robin produced a set of geocoins called Wisconsin Robin, and a whole lot of the larger geocoin in the set came with the wrong codes on them. If memory serves me correct, the mint fudged the Tracking Code and so the whole lot had to be reminted!

Wonder if it is too late to return my set of error coins? <_<

Edited by keewee

Here's my photo of the Error Samples...The one on the left is correct, and the one on the right used the die intended for no color...

10f0ce34-0abe-427f-af33-2db56547a1e5.jpg

Whoa... that is awesome! I love that color of green too.... it is probably my favorite. The error coin looks kind of like a tribal tatoo. Is this the same coin that Gatoulis mentioned being a "mule"? I thought that a mule had two obverse sides or two reverse sides.

I agree - that error is very cool. A cointest would be lots of fun. But maybe you could also sell them... maybe a charity sale if you got them free? At least on this pic, I think the underlying pattern gives the coin an artistic flair!

I'm not sure what affect another set would have on the perception of the correct ones though? Maybe that wouldn't be good?

I agree - that error is very cool. A cointest would be lots of fun. But maybe you could also sell them... maybe a charity sale if you got them free? At least on this pic, I think the underlying pattern gives the coin an artistic flair!

I'm not sure what affect another set would have on the perception of the correct ones though? Maybe that wouldn't be good?

Or you could skip them across the Potomac.... like that George Washington character.

My favs are the Geowoodstock VI guitars.

A bunch were sold before it was realized that the mint had reversed the roman numerals to IV. The cardboard in the coin flip was hiding the error. Not too many of the error coins out there.

Yes, that one was brilliant, wasn't it? We sold about 70 or so at GW before someone pointed out the error. We'd changed a print file at the factory, but they'd used the old one. That error coin was hotly requested for a long time!

I have a Dorkfish Gray Whale coin that only half the sky is filled with stars.(left side of right picture does not have stars, the right side of the right photo does) I purposely purchased this coin because it was different.

Graywhaleerror-1.jpg

Edited by CCWashburn

I'd have to agree with avroair - to me it is only really and error coin if the mint has completely and utterly stuffed up - wrong die, mistake in a die that was re-done, completely wrong colours, etc. A little missing colour, or over colouring to me is just a quality control issue.

For example, Right Shop Roberts coin I would consider and error as a wrong die (albeit similar, but it was wrong) was used for one side.

Australia 2007 with no tracking id - not an error as it is either a sample coin, or they had some made san-tracking id's.

ETA - have to add that people wanting to collect the coins that are a little different due to a missing colour, or over colouring is fine. We all collect what we want to collect - the stuff that interest us.

Edited by keewee

I'd have to agree with avroair - to me it is only really and error coin if the mint has completely and utterly stuffed up - wrong die, mistake in a die that was re-done, completely wrong colours, etc. A little missing colour, or over colouring to me is just a quality control issue.

For example, Right Shop Roberts coin I would consider and error as a wrong die (albeit similar, but it was wrong) was used for one side.

Australia 2007 with no tracking id - not an error as it is either a sample coin, or they had some made san-tracking id's.

ETA - have to add that people wanting to collect the coins that are a little different due to a missing colour, or over colouring is fine. We all collect what we want to collect - the stuff that interest us.

Amen keewee, we all collect what we are going to collect.

Not sure if anyone still like to collect Coins with errors in coloring. I have a Creatures of Nightcaching Rainbow AE VII XLE that has such an error. I have listed it on the e-place if anyone is interested.

0a6d688c-99e8-4ab2-b9a2-a14694724982.jpg?rnd=0.4496344

(translation of the text inside the image: originalcoin without error - color missing - error see above)

Edited by ice13-333