My DeLorme DeLemma

W. B. Taylor

Just got a new PN-40. I was so excited to get this but now I'm having buyers remorse.

Upside? Accuracy. It is the best I have ever seen.

Downside. The duration of the charge. It last about 30 minutes if you charge with AC and less if you use the card charger. Not very ideal for Cachers. Also, no software available for Mac users. DeLorme puts out something called Cache Register that is supposed to work as a widget for the Macs but I installed on several units and it just crashed all of them. No tech support available either. I had to fight with them just to get my money back (which still has not happened as far as I know).

Is there any Mac software out there that I can use to load in caches and offload results back to Geo-caching.com?

Just got a new PN-40. I was so excited to get this but now I'm having buyers remorse.

Downside. The duration of the charge. It last about 30 minutes if you charge with AC and less if you use the card charger. Not very ideal for Cachers. Also, no software available for Mac users. DeLorme puts out something called Cache Register that is supposed to work as a widget for the Macs but I installed on several units and it just crashed all of them. No tech support available either. I had to fight with them just to get my money back (which still has not happened as far as I know).

Is there any Mac software out there that I can use to load in caches and offload results back to Geo-caching.com?

It sounds like you have a bad battery or a bad circuit in the plastics of the GPS. Curstomer service should be able to help with that, but being the holiday, you probably won't have much luck until Monday.

As for the CR software, there is a no money back warranty on this as it is a download and nothing to return for the return of your money. Details are here.

This begs the question, are your Macs running OS X 10.4 or newer with an Intel processor? If not, again, not supported. Those caveats are on the page I linked.

Edited by TotemLake

It sounds like you have a bad battery or a bad circuit in the plastics of the GPS. Curstomer service should be able to help with that, but being the holiday, you probably won't have much luck until Monday.

As for the CR software, there is a no money back warranty on this as it is a download and nothing to return for the return of your money.

What are you basing "Accuracy" on.

OldA'sFan

Hi, I just this minute ordered a PN40 from Amazon for 229.00 I think this is the cheapest right now. Did I read some where I can get the power kit for like $29.00? I have been doing some serious reading trying to decide which GPSr I was going to get. After much research, I decided on the 40, it was a big toss up becuz the oregon300 is about the same price at REI but at the end I read a couple of bad reviews on it. I really kind of wanted the Lowrance endura, but read to many bad things about it. and I read hardly anything bad with the Pn but wasn't sure if I wanted the 30 or the 40 but for$50.00 more I figured the 40.

I really hope I dont have buyers remorse as soon as I get it. So many choices.

Caleb from Team DeLorme here. Obviously something is wrong as you should get 8-12 hours on AAs and 12-15 on e-Lith AAs, depending on how long you keep the backlit screen. Have you tried the AAs we shipped with your order?

Call us on Monday and reference my post here. Not clear what kind of battery you are trying to charge in the device based on this post FYI. As for Cache Register, there were some changes made to the code on g.com that caught us off-guard so we quickly made the updates, so not sure what is happening to you, but please call next week (best not to call first thing Monday as that will be a very busy time after the long weekend). My brain is cramping on the tech support number right now (sorry) but you can find it on our web site lower left-hand navigation in the Support section. We will take care of you. Thanks for your patience.

Hi, I just this minute ordered a PN40 from Amazon for 229.00 I think this is the cheapest right now. Did I read some where I can get the power kit for like $29.00? I have been doing some serious reading trying to decide which GPSr I was going to get. After much research, I decided on the 40, it was a big toss up becuz the oregon300 is about the same price at REI but at the end I read a couple of bad reviews on it. I really kind of wanted the Lowrance endura, but read to many bad things about it. and I read hardly anything bad with the Pn but wasn't sure if I wanted the 30 or the 40 but for$50.00 more I figured the 40.

I really hope I dont have buyers remorse as soon as I get it. So many choices.

Pretty sure you'll be happy with it, this unit is great! If you have any questions, you can ask here or go to the DeLorme forums http://forum.delorme.com/...and, as you can see, DeLorme often comes into these forums to lend a hand.

HAPPY CACHING, my friend!!

The Mac Geocaching software I use on my Mac is called MacCaching:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/math...agerforosx.html

Ignore what they say about the Garmin and Magellin, it works great with the PN series. I wholeheartedly endorse it!! It's very easy and powerful to use. Give it a shot.

Good luck.

N

Edited by Native20559

I too will be getting a DeLorme tomorrow, PN-30 Realtree. 179.00 Black friday at Amazon.

Thought about the 40, but never really used the elec compass/ elev. on the last two GPS's i got, so held off on it this time.

Looking forward to paperless caching.

Encouraging to see DeLorme rep on the forum.

I too will be getting a DeLorme tomorrow, PN-30 Realtree. 179.00 Black friday at Amazon.

Thought about the 40, but never really used the elec compass/ elev. on the last two GPS's i got, so held off on it this time.

Looking forward to paperless caching.

Encouraging to see DeLorme rep on the forum.

Hi Lemonhead, yeah I went thru that but decided what the heck and got the 40. It will be nice to hear how you like yours, I will let you know how I like mine. I lived in Morgan Hill for a long time, like 20 plus years, I miss the nice weather and year around caching, the snow burys a lot of ours up here in Eastern Washington. Happy caching, Mike

As for the CR software, there is a no money back warranty on this as it is a download and nothing to return for the return of your money. Details are here.

This begs the question, are your Macs running OS X 10.4 or newer with an Intel processor? If not, again, not supported. Those caveats are on the page I linked.

I am running 10.4.11 so it was not an issue with the OS. As far as getting the money back on both the software and the PN-40 I'm just glad I used my American Express. I will let them fight it out for me.

I makes me sad that I had to send the unit back but it just didn't meet the promises and I do not have the time to try to make it work.

I run my own business and if a client is unhappy I pull out all the stops to try to fix the problem. I just have net seen any effort by DeLorme to do the same for me.

I am running 10.4.11 so it was not an issue with the OS. As far as getting the money back on both the software and the PN-40 I'm just glad I used my American Express. I will let them fight it out for me.

DeLorme has a 30-day money back guarantee if you bought from an authorized retailer & ship the unit back to DeLorme. No "fighting."
I makes me sad that I had to send the unit back but it just didn't meet the promises and I do not have the time to try to make it work.

I run my own business and if a client is unhappy I pull out all the stops to try to fix the problem. I just have net seen any effort by DeLorme to do the same for me.

Caleb from DeLorme posted right in this thread offering to help you. Did you follow up his offer with a phone call? Or even a private message on the forum? Sounds like he was trying to reach out to you to help, but he's not psychic and doesn't know your phone number - you've got to pick up the phone.

Between this and your other post telling us what you bill per hour, I'm glad you've informed us of what an important person you are. It makes things much easier to understand.

Edited by dakboy

Did you contact them? Like said before if they do not know the problem they cannot fix it. Do you call all your clients to make sure they are happy?

$200.00 an hour, hmmm . . . no Leopard/Bootcamp/Windows or Parallels/Windows for his existing Tiger?

There's some who see a glass half full, some see it half empty, 10% of those just ain't happy unless they

ain't happy.

Really, If you were looking for a solution, describing your processes and what your results were would have

gone quite far either here or over at DeLorme's forum, guess it was easier to stomp in sing your song then

beat a hasty exit before you actually had to apply a little effort.

You didn't fail because we didn't try to help, but in spite of it.

Glad I'm not paying your fees for your outstanding efforts.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

One of the many advantages of the Lowrance Endura series of GPSr's, is that they do not require any proprietary software. The Endura units can directly import GPX and LOC files. When they are connected to a computer they show up as a Mass Storage Device, so it is just drag and drop.

Hope this helps!

One of the many advantages of the Lowrance Endura series of GPSr's, is that they do not require any proprietary software. The Endura units can directly import GPX and LOC files. When they are connected to a computer they show up as a Mass Storage Device, so it is just drag and drop.

Hope this helps!

EnduraExpert appears to be a sock puppet for a Lowrance employee. Some of his (few) other posts appear genuinely helpful. This one just looks like a sales pitch...

Hope this helps!

EnduraExpert appears to be a sock puppet for a Lowrance employee. Some of his (few) other posts appear genuinely helpful. This one just looks like a sales pitch...

Roger that, tp, and check the profile.

Somewhat of a paucity of found caches, 10-4?

TWolpert and Cowboy, go look up sock puppet, will ya?

EnduraExpert has been a member for less than 2 weeks, and for the most part has only posted factualy information about the Endura specifically to folks that were aking about the Enudra. That doesn't qqualify him as a sock puppet. His one post in THIS thread seems vaguely off topic because the OP is talking about DeLorme -- but his comment WAS in response to a more general "What works with a Mac" kinbd of question.

Now, if you wanted to all him a "shill" -- suggesting he's here mainly to promote Lowrance, that might be a more accurate term. But if you got huffy about it EVERY time someone promoted their favorite GPS, or mentiuoned their own favorite in a someone else's thread about a different brand?

Shoot, the mods would have to be banning folks right and left...

---

edit to correct misattribution

Edited by lee_rimar

Dak and Cowboy, go look up sock puppet, will ya?

I never said anything of the sort. If you're going to call people out, you could at least identify the right people.

EnduraExpert has been a member for less than 2 weeks, and for the most part has only posted factualy information about the Endura specifically to folks that were aking about the Enudra. That doesn't qqualify him as a sock puppet.

Now, if you wanted to all him a "shill" -- suggesting he's here mainly to promote Lowrance, that might be a more accurate term. But if you got huffy about it EVERY time someone promoted their favorite GPS, or mentiuoned their own favorite in a someone else's thread about a different brand?

His history does look suspicious. Zero finds, zero hides, and only posts Lowrance-related content, only posting about Lowrance in a positive light or providing technical support, with that name? Come on, you have to admit that it looks like something fishy is going on here. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Now, if EnduraExpert really is a Lowrance employee and wants to post here, that's fine by me, provided that he identifies as such. Folks from DeLorme post here, but when they do post about their products, they make it fairly clear that they are DeLorme employees.

Edited by dakboy

The only issue I have is that if EnduraExpert is in fact an employee of Lowrance he/she should identify himself/herself as such just as the Delorme and Geomate.jr folks do.

Edit: I see Dakboy already posted my thoughts for me :laughing: .

Edited by Pax42

The Macintosh version of CR shouldn't be crashing your computers, maybe there is something else going on. As far as sending the unit back, maybe it just wasn't in the cards this time for you. There are a lot of satisfied DeLorme customers, and are quite pleased with the PN-40 units, but there is no way to please everyone, every time. I have personally never seen a hardware problem with a DeLorme GPS unit.

I kind of look at Garmin as being the Microsoft of handheld GPS units with DeLorme being the Apple. The irony there is you are better off using Windows with the DeLorme platform to take advantage of the bundled and optional (such as xMap) software.

Edited by coggins

My mistake Dakboy, it was TWolpert who said sock puppert - don't know how or why I thought that was your post. I don't really care if someone uses an alias, or doesn't tell me where they works, or how many geocaches they've found -- if they provide mostly usefiul/accurate information and are generally on topic that's good enough for me.

This is largely OFF topic by now :laughing: but would you like everyone who has ever received a paycheck, beta test product, or other "gifts" from a company to have to post a disclaimer in their user profile or signature lines?

Edited by lee_rimar

Dakboy, sorry -- I should included TWolpert in that shot as he was the one who used the sock puppet. But you're in the same gang. I don't really care if someone uses an alias, or doesn't tell me where he works, or how many geocaches he's found -- if they provide mostly usefiul/accurate information and are generaly on topic that's good enough for me.

This is largely OFF topic by now :laughing: but would you like everyone who has ever received a paycheck, beta test product, or other "gifts" from a company to have to post a disclaimer in their user profile or signature lines?

i didn't think the post in question was near as bad as the delorme fanboys gushing constantly about how great their PN-40's are. not saying they aren't great devices, but it gets to be a bit much...as always-IMHO.

Would you like everyone who has ever received a paycheck, beta test product, or other "gifts" from a company to have to post a disclaimer in their user profile or signature lines?

If they're posting in relation to those products, or a direct competitor, and aren't prohibited by NDA from telling people that they have a current relationship with the company as an employee or beta tester, yes.

Dakboy, sorry -- I should included TWolpert in that shot as he was the one who used the sock puppet. But you're in the same gang. I don't really care if someone uses an alias, or doesn't tell me where he works, or how many geocaches he's found -- if they provide mostly usefiul/accurate information and are generaly on topic that's good enough for me.

i didn't think the post in question was near as bad as the delorme fanboys gushing constantly about how great their PN-40's are. not saying they aren't great devices, but it gets to be a bit much...as always-IMHO.

Always a chip on your shoulder eh?

Would you like everyone who has ever received a paycheck, beta test product, or other "gifts" from a company to have to post a disclaimer in their user profile or signature lines?
If they're posting in relation to those products, or a direct competitor, and aren't prohibited by NDA from telling people that they have a current relationship with the company as an employee or beta tester, yes.
Hmm, that would have to include me and a few other folks here. Perhaps I'll find a way to frame that as a different thread a little later today, after breakfast. Edited by lee_rimar

look in the mirror.

look in the mirror.

I don't go criticizing the Garmin users or any other user for that matter for their enthusiasm on their GPS. I also noted you don't criticize anybody else with their enthusiasm on any other brand. So I put it back to you. The chip is on your shoulder and you're looking to deflect the view.

I'll also add your comment had nothing to add but to stir the pot. So look again as to why you commented.

Edited by TotemLake

This is largely OFF topic by now :) but would you like everyone who has ever received a paycheck, beta test product, or other "gifts" from a company to have to post a disclaimer in their user profile or signature lines?

look in the mirror.

I don't go criticizing the Garmin users or any other user for that matter for their enthusiasm on their GPS. I also noted you don't criticize anybody else with their enthusiasm on any other brand. So I put it back to you. The chip is on your shoulder and you're looking to deflect the view.

I'll also add your comment had nothing to add but to stir the pot. So look again as to why you commented.

Well to all of the folks that I seemed to have offended, I am truly sorry! I did not mean to start a firestorm with my post in this forum.

Yes, I do work for Lowrance and we wanted to use this "user" as a way that we can make sure that owners of Endura units can get information directly from Lowrance.

Once again, sorry to all of those who felt that I was trying to hide who I was, not my intention.

Wowee EnduraExpert, if you're truly a rep from Lowrance then, welcome aboard! :)

If you contact some of the big cheeses of this site they could likely arrange you to have a "custom group ID" showing your Lowrance affiliation. That'd be a great way to get your interface started with this forum :lol:

..and there probably will be all sorts of interesting buzzing about the Endura line of GPSr's especially next month when (rumored) the NEXT patch is scheduled to arrive!

..N E way,, back to topic. Sorry for the hijack :lol:

Edited by NordicMan
Once again, sorry to all of those who felt that I was trying to hide who I was, not my intention.

My only issue is that in your first reply in this thread, you replied to someone who was asking a question about PN-40 mac software and you replied with what was very close to a sales pitch for a Lowrance product and was off topic. That's not how an official rep should act.

--Marky

Yes, I do work for Lowrance and we wanted to use this "user" as a way that we can make sure that owners of Endura units can get information directly from Lowrance.

I don't mean to contribute to a topic that has gone off-track, but I suggest you change your signature line so people will see you are affiliated with Lowrance each time you post.

Wbtaylor, a few notes on your post:

-The Li-Ion battery should be giving you six to eight hours of battery life depending on use and power saving settings. Half an hour per charge sounds like you've got a bad battery. Send me an e-mail with your contact information.

-Our Cache Register program is being updated for Snow Leopard, is that the operating system you are having trouble with? The application should be working correctly on other Mac OS versions. I realize you've talked with our Tech Support department and weren't able to get things going so I'm guessing that was covered. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you haven't received your refund, I can help with both.

-We are working on a firmware update that will let you load geocaches directly to your PN-40. Check out the following blog post for more details. DeLorme Blog - Firmware Updates.

-You can choose the "Upload Field Notes" option on the PN Geocaching page to send your find log to the geocaching.com site now, check the menu option for more details.

I hope this helps with your questions. My apologies for not picking up on this thread sooner. With the firmware update and some other exciting projects going on here at DeLorme we've been pretty busy. All good things for you and your new Earthmate PN-40. Send me an e-mail if you have any other questions.

Chip Noble

Product & Design Manager

DeLorme

DeLorme has a 30-day money back guarantee if you bought from an authorized retailer & ship the unit back to DeLorme. No "fighting."

Caleb from DeLorme posted right in this thread offering to help you. Did you follow up his offer with a phone call? Or even a private message on the forum? Sounds like he was trying to reach out to you to help, but he's not psychic and doesn't know your phone number - you've got to pick up the phone.

Between this and your other post telling us what you bill per hour, I'm glad you've informed us of what an important person you are. It makes things much easier to understand.

That was uncalled for. I didn't sign on here to get into a pissing match, I just wanted some friendly advise. Sorry if my comment offended you I was just trying to explain that if a product does not work I don't feel I should spend my time to find out why.

WB

I used to know a 1st Sgt who refered to it as a Urinary Olympiad :)

Ah, I shouldn't have said that -- this thread is already a bit over the top. The OP already showed what kind of character he is, as did the two good gentlemen from DeLorme who tried vainly to help him.

Let it go... or let's have everybody click the Report button to get the @#$%^&* thread shut down.

I used to know a 1st Sgt who refered to it as a Urinary Olympiad :)

Ah, I shouldn't have said that -- this thread is already a bit over the top. The OP already showed what kind of character he is, as did the two good gentlemen from DeLorme who tried vainly to help him.

Let it go... or let's have everybody click the Report button to get the @#$%^&* thread shut down.

10-4, roger that, I'm so over it. :huh:

That was uncalled for. I didn't sign on here to get into a pissing match, I just wanted some friendly advise. Sorry if my comment offended you I was just trying to explain that if a product does not work I don't feel I should spend my time to find out why.

What was uncalled for? You claimed that DeLorme did not make any effort to help you, and I pointed out to you that there is evidence that directly contradicts your statement in this thread. Quite simply:

You "DeLorme hasn't been helpful"

DeLorme rep: "Something is almost certainly wrong with your unit, call us first thing in the morning when we open and we'll fix you up."

You: "DeLorme hasn't attempted to help me at all"

As for the rest, you're about one step away from standing at the customer service desk in a department store yelling "don't you know who I am? I'm a very important person! I demand special treatment!" at a $7.15/hour clerk who can't do anything, and couldn't care less about why you think you're better than the next customer in line. Stow it.

What was uncalled for? You claimed that DeLorme did not make any effort to help you, and I pointed out to you that there is evidence that directly contradicts your statement in this thread. Quite simply:

You "DeLorme hasn't been helpful"

DeLorme rep: "Something is almost certainly wrong with your unit, call us first thing in the morning when we open and we'll fix you up."

You: "DeLorme hasn't attempted to help me at all"

As for the rest, you're about one step away from standing at the customer service desk in a department store yelling "don't you know who I am? I'm a very important person! I demand special treatment!" at a $7.15/hour clerk who can't do anything, and couldn't care less about why you think you're better than the next customer in line. Stow it.

Oh brother. I feel like I'm trying to reason with my 13 year old again.

All I was trying to say was this. In business, it is NOT the responsibility of the customer to fix his or her own problem. If a customer contacts me and they are not happy for any reason, I fix it on the spot. I don't make them jump through any hoops. I don't belittle them for not understanding how the item works. And I surely don't publicly insult them.

A happy customer tells 6 friends but an unhappy one tells an average of 32 people.

I was not demanding any special treatment. I just wanted the unit to work as it stated in the advertisement.

I agree, this thread has gone way off topic but I feel the only reason you want it to go away is because DeLorme is getting bad publicity.

Edited by wbtaylor
Send me an e-mail if you have any other questions.

Chip Noble

Product & Design Manager

DeLorme

Caleb from Team DeLorme here.

Call us on Monday and reference my post here. We will take care of you. Thanks for your patience.

Simple question for wbtaylor. Have you or have you not contacted Chip Noble or Caleb at DeLorme since they replied to your post?

If not then you have not used the assistance offered to you.

Throw a man a life preserver and he chooses not to grab it and drowns it is not the rescuers fault...

Edited by sledgehampster

Oh brother. I feel like I'm trying to reason with my 13 year old again.

All I was trying to say was this. In business, it is NOT the responsibility of the customer to fix his or her own problem. If a customer contacts me and they are not happy for any reason, I fix it on the spot.

A happy customer tells 6 friends but an unhappy one tells an average of 32 people.

I was not demanding any special treatment. I just wanted the unit to work as it stated in the advertisement.

I agree, this thread has gone way off topic but I feel the only reason you want it to go away is because DeLorme is getting bad publicity.

Hop in your car, start driving to Yarmouth, ME. Go to the front desk with your unit. I am sure they will fix it for you "on the spot".

I was quite impressed with Chip's response in this forum. Most companies you deal with all their technical support is from India. I don't think they follow the forums and directly respond to customers problems.

I am waiting on my order of a PN-30. I felt really good about their customer service when I read Chip's comment in this thread.

I am sure if you call them, be civil, this problem will be rectified.

...If a customer contacts me and they are not happy for any reason, I fix it on the spot. I don't make them jump through any hoops...
From 11/20 through 11/26 (in this thread and a few others) you mentioned problems with your PN-40 and mentioned that DeLorme hadn't replied to your emails. Caleb from DeLorme replied here on 11/27 (post #6) asking you to phone their technical support so they could help, and on 12/06 (post #13 here) you implied you returned it feeling DeLorme had done nothing for you. You also said you had to work through your credit card company, which seems strange because DeLorme has a 30-day money-back return policy.

I'm genuinely curious about what hoops you feel you had to jump through. Did you ever phone them? If so, how was there response. You've posted numerous items here, but this forum is not in any way affiliated with DeLorme. Did you post anything on their forum at http://forum.delorme.com ?

Everyone I know (including myself) who has dealt with DeLorme on service issues have had their problems fixed quickly and politely.

... I don't belittle them for not understanding how the item works. I surely don't publicly insult them.
Well, we're all a bunch of hotheads and zealots around here, on every sides of every issue you can name. That reflects on this forum, not on DeLorme as a company.

The two DeLorme employees who did comment here were the model of politeness and professionalism. Did you have some other contact with a DeLorme employee that wasn't so?

Edited by lee_rimar