Auto and Geocaching Device?

Psalm Family

It appears that the down sides for geocaching would be not waterproof and battery life shorter than hiking GPS units. Is this right?

I don't know about the Magellan, but using the Garmin Nuvi, I find the lack of a compass arrow pointing to the direction I should be taking to be a severe handicap in geocaching.

The other disadvantage of a car unit is that it's not very comfortable to hold, and that if the battery dies, you can't carry a spare one (at least with the Nuvis, unless you have the 500/550).

If you're not determined to have a Magellan, consider getting a Garmin that has spoken directions and wide screen. You'd need 2 more things to take full advtantage of it : a premium membership and GSAK, but the combo of a Nuvi, GPX files, and GSAK running the Nuvi Paperless macro is close to geocaching heaven. Imagine driving down a road, and it will alert you of nearby geocaches. Imagine choosing a geocache on your Nuvi, and it will immediately show you how to drive there. Imagine thousands of such geocaches on the Nuvi. It kicks the addiction to a whole new level :unsure:

It appears that the down sides for geocaching would be not waterproof and battery life shorter than hiking GPS units. Is this right?

I don't know about the Magellan, but using the Garmin Nuvi, I find the lack of a compass arrow pointing to the direction I should be taking to be a severe handicap in geocaching.

The other disadvantage of a car unit is that it's not very comfortable to hold, and that if the battery dies, you can't carry a spare one (at least with the Nuvis, unless you have the 500/550).

If you're not determined to have a Magellan, consider getting a Garmin that has spoken directions and wide screen. You'd need 2 more things to take full advtantage of it : a premium membership and GSAK, but the combo of a Nuvi, GPX files, and GSAK running the Nuvi Paperless macro is close to geocaching heaven. Imagine driving down a road, and it will alert you of nearby geocaches. Imagine choosing a geocache on your Nuvi, and it will immediately show you how to drive there. Imagine thousands of such geocaches on the Nuvi. It kicks the addiction to a whole new level :lol:

what about the nuvi 205

what about the nuvi 205

I wouldn't get it because it doesn't have two features I've come to like:

1. Text to speech (spoken street names, even if it is sometimes hilarious)

2. Larger screen (this one is 3.5", I like at least a 4.3" as eyesight is not what it used to be, and was never any good to start with).

If those two points don't bother you, then go for it. (Edit to add : I just saw a Newegg deal for a 205W for $100 - that's the wide screen 4.3" version).

I've mentioned it in a few threads - no matter which model, I like the dashboard sandbag friction mount over the included windshield suction mount. It's much easier to remove when I get out of the car, is closer to me, has never slipped off the dash during fast corners, and there's no risk of it dropping off distracting you while driving.

Edited by Chrysalides
what about the nuvi 205

I wouldn't get it because it doesn't have two features I've come to like:

1. Text to speech (spoken street names, even if it is sometimes hilarious)

2. Larger screen (this one is 3.5", I like at least a 4.3" as eyesight is not what it used to be, and was never any good to start with).

If those two points don't bother you, then go for it.

I've mentioned it in a few threads - no matter which model, I like the dashboard sandbag friction mount over the included windshield suction mount. It's much easier to remove when I get out of the car, is closer to me, has never slipped off the dash during fast corners, and there's no risk of it dropping off distracting you while driving.

so the nuvi1300 has turn by turn voice is that the same as text to speech

If you're not determined to have a Magellan, consider getting a Garmin that has spoken directions and wide screen. You'd need 2 more things to take full advtantage of it : a premium membership and GSAK, but the combo of a Nuvi, GPX files, and GSAK running the Nuvi Paperless macro is close to geocaching heaven. Imagine driving down a road, and it will alert you of nearby geocaches. Imagine choosing a geocache on your Nuvi, and it will immediately show you how to drive there. Imagine thousands of such geocaches on the Nuvi. It kicks the addiction to a whole new level :lol:

You actually can get external battery packs for nuvi's, they take 4 AA batteries. I don't find the lack of a compass a problem either because I just bring a compass along with me.

Someone asked about the 205. Note that if you get a NON-widscreen 200 series version (including the 205 and 255) you will lack one advantage - your current coordinates in real time. The widescreen 200 series allows you to see your coordinates and it updates them constantly, this is really nice when you're trying to get right on top of the coordinates of a geocache. The non-widescreen version ones require you to push a "where am i" button each time you want to see your coordinates, in other words it does not update.

I find my nuvi 255W to be a great caching machine, but if I had the money, I would definitely use it for the car only and opt for a handheld more durable gpsr.

so the nuvi1300 has turn by turn voice is that the same as text to speech

Text to speech will read out the street name, so you get "Turn left at Main Street in 300 feet" instead of "Turn left in 300 feet". The Nuvi 1300 will speak the street name.

You actually can get external battery packs for nuvi's, they take 4 AA batteries. I don't find the lack of a compass a problem either because I just bring a compass along with me.

Good info about the lack of satellite screen in non W models.

Do you have a link to the external battery packs? They're a little cumbersome but sure beats a dead GPSr.

Which do you need most

satnav with turn by turn directions and speech

or

GPSr for geocaching that can do Turn by Turn directions, that bleeps instead of speech.

If the second would suffice then i would recommend the Garmin Oregon, great for caching and good as a satnav. :lol:

is add-on software necessary for the Oregon to do the road navigation?

Hi, thought I would add my 2 cents just because I just bought a handheld and found out there are ALOT of choices. I have been useing the Lowrance XOG, it is a great crossover, with Lowrance's GPX to USR utility you can get the caches and hints on it. And it has off road mode that works well. It can be bought for $148.00, and it is already loaded with maps and turn by turn.

But just recently, my sister has a TomTom1XL and there is a macro in gsak that is really nice for it, you can load caches on to it and it has voice turn by turn that you can have alerts when you are near POI,s and geocaches come up as POI's, I need to work more with it but it is pretty cool to go buy a cache and have it tell be outloud what kind of cache it is and how far away it is. She also has the etrex legend HCx and untill I spend more time wiht it I like the xog better. But not to brag or anything, I just bought the PN40 and it should be here by the 1st of Dec, an early Christmas present to my self because I have been such a "GOOD BOY" this year lol $229.00 at Amazon. I hope this confuses you even more because it is really hard to decide. One good way to start it at the beginning of the forums there is a thread "Which GPS to get" that will help, or maybe not. LOL good luck