Delorme Pn40 and Mac

I realize this has been brought up here before, but I just wanted to get somethings straight. What exactly will not work with the PN on the mac. Will the gps itself run? Or is it just the software?

also, I ran across this article...

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocach...the-mac-and-pc/[/url]

does this mean that its possible to run the topo through Safari for example, or not?

Thanks a ton

I realize this has been brought up here before, but I just wanted to get somethings straight. What exactly will not work with the PN on the mac. Will the gps itself run? Or is it just the software?

also, I ran across this article...

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocach...the-mac-and-pc/[/url]

does this mean that its possible to run the topo through Safari for example, or not?

Thanks a ton

In "Native Mac" DeLorme PN-XX devices support 'Cache Register', and 'Send to GPS' via

Groundspeak, there's also some capabilities w/.gpx files available through 'GPS Babel'.

None of the present iterations of DeLorme's 'Topo' will load on a Mac sans BootCamp

or some form of emulation.

The three pre-cut DVDs that ship w/Topo can be used natively on the Mac. The PC's .exe

application won't work, but the .pm0, and .ybr files for your areas of interest can be

drag 'n' dropped to an SD card, or to the internal(EM) memory on device.

I'm not certain that DeLorme has any further interest in Macintosh, it doesn't appear

to be gaining enough momentum for them to expend large amounts of energy to

"get it off the ground"! I think that the present state of the economy could have

forced them to direct their resources in less speculative adventures. As to whether

they've fulfilled their goals, is hard to say, as I've never been privy to just how far

it (is)was planned to extend in compatibility, or lifespan.

Time, and or Chip & Caleb will tell, . . . or not!

DeLorme has been burned in the past by being "open" with their plans and people

developing expectations that they felt weren't met. Can't say's I blame 'em for "playing

closer to the vest".

I think the "new" 2.7 'device firmware' offers some more ability to work w/.gpx sans 3rd

party software, as well as adding value to their XMap software, I hope this trend continues.

My hopes are that Mac development will continue, as I've seen evidence of effort contributed

within DeLorme that might suggest that there just might be more to come, . . .

"Hope springs eternal". . . . .

There are others here that are presently more active(than I) in the Mac/DeLorme realm,

expect them to add, counter, clarify, or further confuse.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

What does work:

• Send to GPS on cache pages
  • Loading Pocket Queries (GPX files) via GPSBabel (which MacCaching might use, or might be able to use) or via DeLorme's Cache Register application (if you go this route, you never have to open the PQ - Cache Register downloads the file right from Groundspeak's servers)
  • Purchasing/downloading "default" aerial imagery cuts from DeLorme via their web interface to the Map Library
  • GPSBabel - for tracks, waypoints, etc.
  • Uploading Field Notes

What does not work

• TopoUSA - needed for downloading "full" imagery & doing your own custom map packages, more involved routes & tracks, etc.

So overall, it seems that there isn't too much a mac user is missing out on, am I correct?

Depending upon your needs, that may be correct.

There also is no Mac equivalent of GSAK. Although it's not required to use the PN-40 or geocache in general, most people around seem to think that if you can't use GSAK, you're not caching most efficiently or getting the most out of it. Personally, I only have use for maybe 2 or 3 of the features of GSAK in my regular caching, don't need them that often, and have workarounds for them, so I haven't bothered buying it.

The two outtages that I know of for non-Windows users of Delorme PN devices are that you can't do firmware updates and that you can't buy a subscription to the online map download thingy; you can only buy a card that has to be snail-mailed to you (!) containing an activation key that you then have to enter online. Apparently if you're using Delorme's Windows software, you can buy and activate a subscription right in the software itself.

The two outtages that I know of for non-Windows users of Delorme PN devices are that you can't do firmware updates

Firmware updates work fine w/ MacOS. http://www.delorme.com/support/SupportTemp...aspx?id=454#MAC

and that you can't buy a subscription to the online map download thingy; you can only buy a card that has to be snail-mailed to you (!) containing an activation key that you then have to enter online.
Or you can call DeLorme, buy it over the phone, and they'll read the key to you then & there (I think it comes by email too, if you ask for it). You'll still get the card in the mail, but you won't have to wait for it. Edited by dakboy

The two outtages that I know of for non-Windows users of Delorme PN devices are that you can't do firmware updates

Firmware updates work fine w/ MacOS. http://www.delorme.com/support/SupportTemp...aspx?id=454#MAC

and that you can't buy a subscription to the online map download thingy; you can only buy a card that has to be snail-mailed to you (!) containing an activation key that you then have to enter online.
Or you can call DeLorme, buy it over the phone, and they'll read the key to you then & there (I think it comes by email too, if you ask for it). You'll still get the card in the mail, but you won't have to wait for it.

Yep, I was using mine before I ever received the card in the mail!!

...for non-Windows users of Delorme PN devices are that you can't do firmware updates ...
Actually, I think only UNIX users are left out now.

For reasons I don't understand, DeLorme currently offers firmware updates as either a Windows executable installer, or Mac disk image (.dmg) file. Both of these simply put a file on an SD card that ultimately updates the GPS. Why they don't simply offer the bare file itself in a zip file is beyond me. It would be LESS work for them, smaller packages downloaded by users, and universally compatible.

As an aside, the latest firmware - 2.7 - is not offered in the Mac .dmg file. Since that one is really targetted towards XMap 7 users, and XMap only runs on Windows, I guess that makes a perverse kind of sense.

Edited by lee_rimar

As an aside, the latest firmware - 2.7 - is not offered in the Mac .dmg file. Since that one is really targetted towards XMap 7 users, and XMap only runs on Windows, I guess that makes a perverse kind of sense.

There was an earlier FW update that we didn't see a DMG for until a couple days after the installer came out. It's possible that the guy who makes the DMGs took the whole week off for the holiday.

But your scenario is also pretty plausible. There may be a 2.8 release targeted at all PN-40 owners coming soon, which would have the DMG made available.