Travelbug Icon

Dadothree17

OK - I have a few TBs floating out there right now, and am still relatively new to Geocaching (118 finds). All of mine have the basic "dogtag" icon to denote that they are in a cache, but I notice that there are a lot of cool icons out there (palm tree for one from FL, duck face for a rubber duck, etc). My question is: can you change the icon from the dogtag to something that more appropriately identifies the TB? If so, how?

Thanks,

Dadothree17

No you cannot change it. All TravelBugs have the same 21.gif icon and you cannot change it.

A creator of a geocoin can pay an additional $150.00USD to Groundspeak in order to have a custom icon. If the creator chooses not to do this, then the default 23.gif icon is used for these geocoins.

So basically, custom icons are only available for geocoins at the time they are produced.

Actually the icon associated with the travel bug depends on whoever purchased the trackable codes, not the "type" of traveler. When I did some research for my own poker chip signature item, I inquired GSP about this and they told me that normally you submit whatever the art/trackable will look like to them, and if they approve it, you can buy trackable codes which you then print on whatever. When you buy those codes, you also have the ability to buy the icon for $150. I've never purchased the codes or icons before but I may in the future.

I have four travel bugs in circulation (dog tag style) that do not have the standard dog tag icon. Here is a link to one of my TB's that has a customized dogtag. Canadian retailer Landsharkz had them done so they are slightly different than the typical tags but basically the same thing.

The end result being, you don't have control over the icon, whoever purchased the trackable code does.

No you cannot change it. All TravelBugs have the same 21.gif icon and you cannot change it.

A creator of a geocoin can pay an additional $150.00USD to Groundspeak in order to have a custom icon. If the creator chooses not to do this, then the default 23.gif icon is used for these geocoins.

So basically, custom icons are only available for geocoins at the time they are produced.

Actually the icon associated with the travel bug depends on whoever purchased the trackable codes, not the "type" of traveler. When I did some research for my own poker chip signature item, I inquired GSP about this and they told me that normally you submit whatever the art/trackable will look like to them, and if they approve it, you can buy trackable codes which you then print on whatever. When you buy those codes, you also have the ability to buy the icon for $150. I've never purchased the codes or icons before but I may in the future.

I have four travel bugs in circulation (dog tag style) that do not have the standard dog tag icon. Here is a link to one of my TB's that has a customized dogtag. Canadian retailer Landsharkz had them done so they are slightly different than the typical tags but basically the same thing.

The end result being, you don't have control over the icon, whoever purchased the trackable code does.

ALL Travel Bugs (those officially issued by Groundspeak) have the same icon 21.gif. The icon for other travelers varies. (Calling a traveler a travel bug does not make it a Travel Bug.