Delft Blaauw coin in the making

User4567844

I would advise extreme caution on this eBay auction

1. there is no picture of the coin

this suggests that the seller does not actually have the coin

(at least, not yet - and who knows, maybe never)

2. it is against eBay rules to sell something that you do not actually have

3. the coins are from the Netherlands, but the auction says France

makes me kinda doubt that the coin makers are involved in the sale

4. the seller has zero feedback

draw your own conclusions on this fact

if you bid on it, and win, I would suggest using one of those services that acts as middleman

you and the seller send money and the item (respectively) to the service

once they have verified that all is on the up-and-up, the funds are released, and the item is sent along to you

better safe than sorry

the best advice that I can offer is "don't bid on this item"

wait and see what develops in the way of legitimate sales by the coin creators

if the past is any guide, there will be other opportunities to get one of the coins via an eBay auction, and most likely from a known seller with a solid history

New tweet from DelftBlueCoin:

• Some of you may want to know the design... Well; the title is "tulp" A picture follows
  • Others are curious about what's on Ebay... Well; just as last year we try to sell the first one for charity
  • Japan / red cross to be precise

This via twitter:

"Others are curious about what's on Ebay... Well; just as last year we try to sell the first one for charity"

So I believe the warning bells can be removed. :)

This via twitter:

"Others are curious about what's on Ebay... Well; just as last year we try to sell the first one for charity"

But wouldn't it make more sense to use the ebay account that they used last year, or even make mention of the cause it was supporting, or be being shipped from the Netherlands? Questions about that auction still about in my mind.

This via twitter:

But wouldn't it make more sense to use the ebay account that they used last year, or even make mention of the cause it was supporting, or be being shipped from the Netherlands? Questions about that auction still about in my mind.

If you have a Twitter acount, you can ask them: @DelftBlueCoin.

And there's a picture added on eBay:

$(KGrHqQOKiQE2h+fLF64BN1YleQ!k!~~_12.JPG

This is such great news. Tulps! I am so glad to hear this, I was hoping for tulips on the last coin though I think the trapgevel is so very cool and am so grateful to have it. Unfortunately I don't follow twitter so I'm am glad you posted the information here. Is there anywhere we should be watching for how/when to reserve one?

Unfortunately I don't follow twitter so I'm am glad you posted the information here. Is there anywhere we should be watching for how/when to reserve one?

Everything I know now, I posted here. As soon as I know more, I'll post it here. Now I'm going out for 2 days of caching and hope I don't miss any important news on this one.

Am following the twitter account now as I badly want to get one of these.

I missed the first one, and had dropped out of geocoins/geocaching during the period #'s 2 and 3 were released.

I wonder if they are going to do a lottery type draw to see who gets them?

Twee from DeltBlueCoin 10 minutes ago:

• Sale starts first weekend of June.
  • Coins will be sold in batches of 20 coins so we can spread it out over a couple of weeks.
  • This should give everyone a better opportunity of buying one, without chances of being sold out within 2 minutes.

Edited by JackHoe

[*]Coins will be sold in batches of 20 coins so we can spread it out over a couple of weeks.

[*]This should give everyone a better opportunity of buying one, without chances of being sold out within 2

Well, if they sale truly goes like this, it will be the hardest coin to ever get. It effectively minimizes the variability and chance for multiple people to get them. I would estimate 20 will sell out in less than 5 seconds. Not that I think I won't have a chance, I just disagree with the thought process :rolleyes:

TMA

Additional tweets:

• The price for the 4th series stays the same: €29,95 per coin (incl. worldwide shipment)
  • An option for registered mail shall be included at extra costs.
  • For reliability reasons, we've chosen to use Ebay this time.

I understand your reactions. Please don't shoot the messenger :)

Honestly?

I opt out from the chance of getting a coin of the last series in this way.

Now they say, they use ebay...

That's not fair for those who already have the first three and want to complete their set.

Bye Delft Blue #4 - I won't participate in this lottery! :angry::back:

Last tweet:

• For reliability reasons, we've chosen to use Ebay this time.
  • Wrap up: 1st weekend of June, sale of first batch of 20 pieces from the 4th series starts on Ebay at a price of €29,95 incl. worldw shipment

I agree with the comments. This way they will make a lot of extra money and not everybody will be able to pay more than the startprice. I think no tulips for me this time :cry:

How do they avoid that one is going to "buy now" 10 pcs at once?

That way of selling is nonsense!

Yes, I think there will be a problem with people just buying them all. Since if someone pays then they cannot say, you can't have it. Better to take reservations on a website for the first 125 people to submit.

Mark

Avroair

Last tweets:

• Our choice for ebay.com is NOT about making more money. It's about not selling more coins than we actually have because of a crashed website
  • We make sure it's impossible to buy a complete batch at once.

Edited by JackHoe

Last tweet:

• Our choice for ebay.com is NOT about making more money. It's about not selling more coins than we actually have because of a crashed website
  • We make sure it's impossible to buy a complete batch at once.

I totally understand that is not about money. But you can have a reservation system in the forums where people fill out a form or submit an email. Then they get billed later on. You can also do that on twitter or a web page.

I am not aware how you can limit one per person on ebay.

Not only can coins not be limited to 1 per person this way, they'll lose A LOT of money in ebay fees.

Email reservation system with random lottery draw from that database. Invoices sent through PayPal manually.

What's wrong with these people?

We discussed your suggestion months ago but we were worried about the lack of transparancy

Ps. Nothing wrong with us ;-) just a bit worried about the 4th sale after a couple of problems during second and third sale

Grtz. Bas

The closest block you can do to limit it to one is-

Buyers who may bid on several of my items and not pay for them-

Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days.

But once they pay, I believe they can go back and buy another.

Ebay has a feature that lets you limit the number of items you are selling to a certain buyer.

1.Go to My eBay.

2.Click the Account tab, and then click the Site Preferences link in the left navigation.

3.In the Selling Preferences section, scroll to Buyer requirements, and then click the Show link.

4.Click the Edit link.

There is a checkbox for:

Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought [XX] of my items in the last 10 days.

You can set XX to 1 so that a buyer can only buy one item from you in a 10 day period. But you can't modify the length of the restriction period.

Rsfish1 is correct, however. As soon as the buyer pays, they are free to buy another one.

Edited by E&Cplus3

Any examples of coins being sold this way?

"a reservation system in the forums where people fill out a form or submit an email. Then they get billed later on."

iPhone does not come in handy to read/reply on a forum ;-)

As I recall, this is how Tsun sold her coins before she had a webstore. She still does it this way for select coins... such as her Petroglyph Earth Turtle. (here is the thread)

"a reservation system in the forums where people fill out a form or submit an email. Then they get billed later on."

As I recall, this is how Tsun sold her coins before she had a webstore. She still does it this way for select coins... such as her Petroglyph Earth Turtle. (here is the thread)

Thanx

Thanx

TSun did make a great job with the Petroglyph ETs. That is definitivly a good decision.

Just so you know too there's an iPhone app for the forums called IPB which makes being on the forum on your phone much easier :)

I thought about a simple lottery system that would allow interested parties to submit a request by e-mail...names to be drawn from the submitted e-mails, but I would fear people with multiple e-mail addresses might get a bit hoggish.

ILYK

I thought about a simple lottery system that would allow interested parties to submit a request by e-mail...names to be drawn from the submitted e-mails, but I would fear people with multiple e-mail addresses might get a bit hoggish.

ILYK

Just limit the coins to one per household.

Quick suggestion. Since you have been wanting to do this on Twitter, just send out a tweet with an email address. The first 120 people, or whatever the number, that email with their Name, address and paypal email account get the coin. Then send out the paypal invoices. Limit it to one per household. Heck break it in to 2 sales of X number of people so if someone isn't around for the first, maybe they will get in on the second one.

Selling them on eBay you will pay 11% fees on the final value , plus the insertion fees. Bad enough having to pay the Paypal fees.

Quick suggestion. Since you have been wanting to do this on Twitter, just send out a tweet with an email address. The first 120 people, or whatever the number, that email with their Name, address and paypal email account get the coin. Then send out the paypal invoices. Limit it to one per household. Heck break it in to 2 sales of X number of people so if someone isn't around for the first, maybe they will get in on the second one.

Selling them on eBay you will pay 11% fees on the final value , plus the insertion fees. Bad enough having to pay the Paypal fees.

What about the people who don't have a Twitter account?

I was just going by their original Tweet-

"SALE info for the 4th Delft Blue Coin: a twitter account will definitely be needed."

The account is free and you do not have to be on a computer to get the Tweet. You can have it sent to your phone as a text.

In the end, no matter how they are sold, not everyone will be happy. Just the facts of life in the geocoin world when something like this is involved.

"SALE info for the 4th Delft Blue Coin: a twitter account will definitely be needed."

The account is free and you do not have to be on a computer to get the Tweet. You can have it sent to your phone as a text.

In the end, no matter how they are sold, not everyone will be happy. Just the facts of life in the geocoin world when something like this is involved.

I understand, and it's no problem for me. I was posting al the tweets on the geocaching.nl forum to keep people without a Twitter account updated. And as you say, there will always be someone unhappy.

I'm old...phones receive text? :laughing:

ILYK

I'm old...phones receive text? :laughing:

ILYK

Okay, I want to complete my set and I really loved last time that we could get the number (to match a previous coin number)if it were still available. I guess I'll have to con a co-worker who is on his cell phone all day long at work to get tweets so I can get one of these beauties. Looking for #31.