signing for others

teddyntiger

I have been noticing here in Yuma more and more lately groups going out in all directions and doing as many caches as they can during the day and signing other people's names to the log. I do not feel that is setting a good example for geo caching. Most people work hard for their caching numbers. To me signing for others is like cheating with cards or coping off of some bodies test paper. You can fool some of the people some of the times, but not all the people all the time. Teddyntiger

I have been noticing here in Yuma more and more lately groups going out in all directions and doing as many caches as they can during the day and signing other people's names to the log. I do not feel that is setting a good example for geo caching. Most people work hard for their caching numbers. To me signing for others is like cheating with cards or coping off of some bodies test paper. You can fool some of the people some of the times, but not all the people all the time. Teddyntiger

Discouraging to hear, but it's nothing new. We ran into the same thing here several years ago with some power cachers, happens all the time. It really gives new meaning to "it's not about the numbers". It bothered me at first, but people will play the game the way they want. At the end of the day you know your numbers are pure and the cheaters' numbers are soiled. Now don't get me started on pocket caches! Happy Thanksgiving!

D!

Edited for typo

Edited by Duncan!

I wouldn't worry about others, its about you. I've really enjoyed caching and the fun of finding them. But most of all its about the places caching has taken me, that I probably would have never gone if no one had hidden a cache there. And most of all the caching friend we make on the way. I wouldn't worry about other cheating them selfs.

:angry::unsure::lol:

NUMBERS, NUMBERS,NUMBERS. is their game! It's been going on for ever (since the conception of the sport) Some Do......The majority don't. I guess there are those that are looking for their 30 seconds of Glory (OOO Look @ Me I Got A Zillion Smiles) Well Whoopie Tee Do it sure don't blow my skirt up......................as one can look back and see how many of those smilies where gotten

Oh Yes The Ways Of The World, and Minds of a Men

:angry::unsure::lol:

NUMBERS, NUMBERS,NUMBERS. is their game! It's been going on for ever (since the conception of the sport) Some Do......The majority don't. I guess there are those that are looking for their 30 seconds of Glory (OOO Look @ Me I Got A Zillion Smiles) Well Whoopie Tee Do it sure don't blow my skirt up......................as one can look back and see how many of those smilies where gotten

Oh Yes The Ways Of The World, and Minds of a Men

YUP! Indeed. This is getting more about the numbers than the adventure.

I have been caching since April of '02 and have not even reached 1k finds. I don't do micros on a power trail. I have little interest in finding caches just to boost my numbers.

In that way, I can keep geocaching special.

What's wrong with you guys? You don't have a secretary in your caching mobile? Love going out with friends to share our finds! Rule of thumb, lucky one who grabs the cache gets to put everyone's name down. I have no problem with that. Anyone who does must be jealous of my friendships and I'm not going to change that just for them. You can keep stirring the dirt here but I'm done with it. :)

What's wrong with you guys? You don't have a secretary in your caching mobile? Love going out with friends to share our finds! Rule of thumb, lucky one who grabs the cache gets to put everyone's name down. I have no problem with that. Anyone who does must be jealous of my friendships and I'm not going to change that just for them. You can keep stirring the dirt here but I'm done with it. :huh:

I think the issue is that the group is not together, they are caching individually and signing in for each other instead of actually visiting each cache. So a 'group' of 5 cachers might have each member find 20 but they all log 100 caches as found.

A lot of people do this professionally! Oh.. I see you meant signing for others. :P

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. :rolleyes:

Sometimes we cache in a large group, usually the first person that takes out the log signs everybody in our group in, but we are all physically there. Maybe this is happening more often than not?

Do you mean cachers that are not at the sight when the log is signed? when I go caching with friends whoever finds the cache signs everyone's name that is present I don't see anything wrong with that as long as they are all there.

Scubasonic