Write a story or you're being disrespectful?

dougsmiley

[

You mean like this CO complaint addressed to me on another thread....LINK:

this post.

"BTW, it's a two way street. GC1Y3GD. You DNF'ed my cache, and emailed me asking for a clue. I reset it the next day, emailed you back and practically led you to the cache. For my efforts, I got a "THTC...". That's kind of like tipping the waiter a penny for bad service."

I'd revise that to say, "That's kind of like tipping the waiter a penny for excellent service" and add that it is a superb simile (with my revision)

I TOLD you before 'opinions vary'. Start to get use to it.

It's nice to have fans.

The problem is, those people who demand more out of logs cause angst and push people towards not leaving online logs. If these people would stop trying to bend all others to their whim, this would not be an issue.
Which came first... "TFTC" or "TFTC is Rude" ? :lol:

TFTC came first, according to forum history. It was a simple acronym that literally was an expression of thanks to the cache owner. Those few that insist that everyone march to their drum perverted it into something negative right around the time they were inventing little snarkicisms like 'DPM'.

Edited by sbell111
Posters are mentioning that folks don't log online anymore because of owner attitudes. I wonder how many cachers don't place caches anymore because of logger attitudes.

I find it interesting that the thread went from the OP's not writing an essay or cut-n-paste 111 logs to TFTC. Some are still arguing the OP's point and some are arguing TFTC. Two different arguments.

The OP was right in not having to write an essay, but wrong in thinking 111 cut-n-paste is the right thing to do. From looking at his profile page with is full of stats, I can see were he's coming from. It's all about the numbers.

It's my personal opinion that cut-n-paste logs, regardless of length, are nothing more than a check mark. I think some folks would prefer a check box on the Nearest Cache List page. Just check the boxes and click the "Mark all checked as found" button.

What he said.

Posters are mentioning that folks don't log online anymore because of owner attitudes. I wonder how many cachers don't place caches anymore because of logger attitudes.

Interesting thought. I have to wonder though, If the cache owner stops hiding caches because he isn't getting inspired logs then perhaps we wouldn't miss those caches?

What he said.
It doesn't take much effort to come up with something unique to say for each cache. I understand its quite hard to find something to say for every log, but the hider put an effort in to hide the cache for you to find, I think taking a few seconds to come up with a log is a reasonable request. I just hate copy and pasted logs on dozens of caches or even worse a single acronym log, it just seems rude.
What he said.
The problem is, those people who demand more out of logs cause angst and push people towards not leaving online logs. If these people would stop trying to bend all others to their whim, this would not be an issue.

TFTC came first, according to forum history. It was a simple acronym that literally was an expression of thanks to the cache owner. Those few that insist that everyone march to their drum perverted it into something negative right around the time they were inventing little snarkicisms like 'DPM'.

Could you be so kind as to do some research and find when the first log that contained nothing more than TFTC was posted, and what the reaction was to that? TFTC has been used for years... I can not disagree with you there. I personally have used TFTC MANY times. But I generally used it to close a log, when I do use it. As in, "It was a great day to be out caching in this fine park. TFTC". I never expect anything more than that, but simply "TFTC" does get my goat. Sorry, I can't help it. Or, perhaps I should say, I won't try to help it. Is it gonna lead me to drinking? No. But I don't have to consider it polite.

Could you be so kind as to do some research and find when the first log that contained nothing more than TFTC was posted, and what the reaction was to that? TFTC has been used for years... I can not disagree with you there. I personally have used TFTC MANY times. But I generally used it to close a log, when I do use it. As in, "It was a great day to be out caching in this fine park. TFTC". I never expect anything more than that, but simply "TFTC" does get my goat. Sorry, I can't help it. Or, perhaps I should say, I won't try to help it. Is it gonna lead me to drinking? No. But I don't have to consider it polite.

Maybe TPTB will research that one for you and let you know. I doubt it, though.

Well I don't have the eye power to read the 3 pages of this post because of blood sugar problems, So I'm sorry if it's already been posted, But I don't care if the signing of the log for my caches are long or short, if it just has TFTC I at least know my caches are still there, it keeps me from having to go check up on them all the time.

But... I have always thought YOU were "TPTB", SBell111! You're not? :lol:

You see... I'm one of those people that also gets annoyed (at least) when I spend $100 at the grocery store (or $50 at the convenience store... whatever), hand over my cache, and the pimply-faced clerk says, "Have a good 'un", and nothing more.

I don't know about you, but I was taught that you thank the customer for doing business with you, so that you can have a job. If you want to add "Have a good 'un" after that, (I always wonder what a "good 'un" they are referring to... bowel movement, sexual experience, meal at Jack-In-The-Box...?) that's fine, but the explicit "Thank You" IS important to me. Sure, it is implied by "Have a good 'un", but it is not expressed. I would thank them if the situation were reversed. Do they somehow feel belittled by having to thank me expressly and explicitly? Is "have a good 'un" somehow a face-saving dodge for humbling themselves enough to say "Thank You"?

OK, I sure stretched that analogy to the breaking limits, didn't I? Thank you. Thank you very much for bearing with me. Have a good 'un.

Logs other people have written have helped me appreciate some caches more.

Last week one previous log had us laughing our heads off the whole time we were at the cache.

Logs people have written at my cache have helped me know the trouble and the effort I take is appreciated and worth it.

One log written by a newbie has gained me a new friend. We went caching last weekend and had a great time. All from a log she wrote.

Find a cache, sign the log, record your experience online. That's the game.

But... I have always thought YOU were "TPTB", SBell111! You're not?

You see... I'm one of those people that also gets annoyed (at least) when I spend $100 at the grocery store (or $50 at the convenience store... whatever), hand over my cache, and the pimply-faced clerk says, "Have a good 'un", and nothing more.

I don't know about you, but I was taught that you thank the customer for doing business with you, so that you can have a job. If you want to add "Have a good 'un" after that, (I always wonder what a "good 'un" they are referring to... bowel movement, sexual experience, meal at Jack-In-The-Box...?) that's fine, but the explicit "Thank You" IS important to me. Sure, it is implied by "Have a good 'un", but it is not expressed. I would thank them if the situation were reversed. Do they somehow feel belittled by having to thank me expressly and explicitly? Is "have a good 'un" somehow a face-saving dodge for humbling themselves enough to say "Thank You"?

OK, I sure stretched that analogy to the breaking limits, didn't I? Thank you. Thank you very much for bearing with me. Have a good 'un.

i used to work full-time as a cashier (in addition to my other full-time job), and i never said "have a nice day" if i could help it.

things i might have said:

grace and good fortune go with you.

thank you for coming.

be well.

it's been a pleasure to help you.

i'm sorry about the wait. may i offer you a treat?

je vous souhaite de bonnheur et de bonne chance. (many of our customers were francophone, and i was the only cashier who bothered to speak to them in french.)

Edited by flask

I think the levity in my post was overlooked. Flask=a container to hold libations. So a few sips and I'd be happy.

I was trying to lighten things up. Why do people have to get so bent out of shape by the way others play the game? Do I prefer to get a well done log on my hides? Sure. Do I expect it every time? No. Will I get bent out of shape if someone puts TFTC? No, that is what they chose to write.

Let's stop being so worried about other people, be thankful for what we do get, and enjoy our hobby a lot more.

No Levity inthe Forums! What do you think this is, fun and games?? :lol:;);)

with apologies to Bob Dylan...

How words must a cache log have

Before it is considered good?

Yes, 'n' how many TFTCs must we all endure

Before someone deletes the find?

Yes, 'n' how many times must the opinions fly

Before we realize this is a game?

The answer, my friend, is waitin' in the forums,

The answer is waitin' in the forums.

:D NOOOOOOOOO!!! :D Peace breaks out again before I can ready my rotting lemming carcases!! :D

On a serious note: We really can't change anyone else's behavior. But we can set a good example by leaving the kind of logs we'd like to read.

Listen, If you don't want to post a story, and copying and pasting is your thing, just go to the thread Continue the story by 5 words and copy and paste the entire story, starting from 2004, into your log. If it dosnt fit, then just put as much as possible. As long as it's entertaining, someone will be happy.. :angry:

And there was much rejoicing...

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I like to have my ego stroked on a cache that I placed which took significant effort but TFTC is better than nothing. If the finder had an epiphany on finding the cache you will get a good log. I have seen logs that took an extra log because the allowable space was not enough to complete in one go. I have reached the word limit once before on a cache that required an overnight walk to nab. This was the first time I ventured into a designated wilderness area for an overnighter on my own. The experience was a major one in my life and I had no trouble finding the words of appreciation.

Each to there own but does it really matter?

A few thoughts...

I think that the idea that 'the bare minimum is acceptable' is one of the great ills of society in general. The world would be a much better place if everyone aspired to just a little more than that.

The above, of course, is my own opinion. When I see the bare minimum in life, and in geocaching, I'll just shrug my shoulders, maybe roll my eyes, and go on. I personally strive to aim higher. After all, when I look in a mirror, it is my own reflection I see.

I always try to write at least a few short lines for every cache, even the bad ones. Someone took a little time out of their life to place it, and I'm enjoying it for free. If it's a bad cache, nobody twisted my arm to make me look for it.

If I find someone who consistently places caches I do not like, I'll still write a few lines for those that I do find. My solution is simple: once I identify someone like that, I'll no longer search for caches by that person and no longer waste any time or effort writing nice logs for bad caches.

I once saw the exact situation mentioned by the OP happen, when someone posted a short one line log for a find on what, by all accounts, is an epic cache (which I haven't yet tried to find). Someone (not the owner) called that person out about it, complaining that the cache deserved more than a one line log. The cache owner stepped in right away and told everyone to lay off, that he was OK with the log.

I can't recall the people involved, or to be honest, even the cache at the moment, but I do remember that response by the owner.

That's called class.

Since when has it been a requirement to post a story with every single log?!

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally on the cache page. Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere.

Some of us, myself included just aren't in to typing out essay like logs for every cache we find, EVEN the cool ones! It used to be, "TFTC!" sufficed to tell the owner that you appreciated the find. I find writing, and reading (to be honest) these long winded logs to be about as interesting as watching paint dry. I thought this was about finding the cache, not sitting for hours on end writing ABOUT the cache. I find my time better spent FINDING CACHES! For me, the log is more record keeping than personal, and a simple TFTC! says, hey, I found your cache, thanks for hiding it so I could find it today.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with posting lengthy logs, but don't down people just because they don't do the same as you, and certainly don't expect if from people. Cachers come from all different backgrounds, some may be more capable and/or interested in typing out long logs than others.

My question is since when is the LOG more important than the FIND?! Where does this end? Are people going to start deleting legitimate find logs just because the log wasn't interesting enough?

I'm surprised you never read the The lost art of logging Laziness or "monkey see, monkey do"?

"Cut & Pasters" like you are the reason I rarely hide one star terrain caches anymore. I would much rather get one three paragraph "found it" log per year than "100 TFTCs."

My question is since when is the LOG more important than the FIND?!

The log is the only reward the cache hider gets. If you are doing a power caching run and an owner has several caches hidden in the same area he/she gets an Inbox full of duplicate emails for each cache you found. What does that tell the owner? "You're cache is nothing more than a smiley to me. It meant nothing. It offered nothing unique. I will have forgotten the entire experience as soon as I hit OK."

Some caches don't deserve much more than that. Some caches deserve more. Just be aware of what your cache logs might be saying to the cache owner, intentionally or not. I despise copy and paste logs myself.

I email cachers who write long and descriptive logs on my caches. I thank them and tell them how much I appreciated their logs. To date, everyone of them appreciated my gesture towards them.

I find it interesting that the thread went from the OP's not writing an essay or cut-n-paste 111 logs to TFTC. Some are still arguing the OP's point and some are arguing TFTC. Two different arguments.

The OP was right in not having to write an essay, but wrong in thinking 111 cut-n-paste is the right thing to do. From looking at his profile page with is full of stats, I can see were he's coming from. It's all about the numbers.

It's my personal opinion that cut-n-paste logs, regardless of length, are nothing more than a check mark. I think some folks would prefer a check box on the Nearest Cache List page. Just check the boxes and click the "Mark all checked as found" button.

I stopped hiding geocaches easily accessible to "numbers whores," a while ago because I got sick of getting 50 TFTC found it logs in a day.

Edited by Kit Fox
Personally, I can't imagine voluntarily doing something that sucked 111 times in a day.

:P:lol::P:angry::lol::D:P:unsure:

I tried it a few times myself, and determined that I would rather pursue photography, hiking, or spending more time with my family, then molesting lamp post skirts, and fondling guardrails all day.

Personally, I can't imagine voluntarily doing something that sucked 111 times in a day.

:P:lol::P:angry::lol::D:P:unsure:

I tried it a few times myself, and determined that I would rather pursue photography, hiking, or spending more time with my family, then molesting lamp post skirts, and fondling guardrails all day.

Amen to that!!!!!

I've given up the numbers game and am happy to go after one or two good caches that take me to some place pleasant or interesting. Best of all involves a nice hike. I'll go after some local caches (usually with my son), but about half the time we even don't bother getting out of car.

I stopped hiding geocaches easily accessible to "numbers whores," a while ago because I got sick of getting 50 TFTC found it logs in a day.

"numbers whores"....WOW, interesting.

I'm in this for the ride, seeing new things, meeting nice people and fresh air. That numbers thing is dead LAST.

I don't like my hobbies to be that competitive, I get more than enough of that in my career.

Edited by calgriz

"numbers whores"....WOW, interesting.

I'm in this for the ride, seeing new things, meeting nice people and fresh air. That numbers thing is dead LAST.

I don't like my hobbies to be that competitive, I get more than enough of that in my career.

you know, you can be a numbers whore without being competitive about it.

if i want to be competitive, i'll race a bicycle or something. i'm not interested in comparing my geocaching numbers with anyone else's, but at the same time i'm perfectly happy sometimes to go on a bender and see how many caches i can find in a day/in 24 hours/before dinnertime.

and yes, no matter how many i find, i'll write a log for each one.

i am finding more and more (while it's on my mind) that more and more cachers in my area are writing cheap cut 'n' pastes where they used to write logs. it's disappointing.

I have trouble with the 'expectation of a good log' concept.

I hide caches, I like it when folks find them, but I have no expectation or demand that they be grateful to me and prove it by writing me an epistle.

I guess it comes down to why we do things.

I dedicated my retirement to helping people through disaster relief. We go into a disaster zone, set up a mobile kitchen and feed folks. Lots of folks. For free. None of them know who we are, none know how to contact us, so none could even send us a thank you note if they wanted to. I donated three rebuilt computers to kids who can't afford one for Christmas gifts last week. The schools will distribute them and I won't know who got them nor will the kids know who gave it to them. I didn't do it so some kid would write me a nice note.

I apply the same logic to my caches. Find it, enjoy it, but you owe me nothing.

Maybe that's why I struggle with this whole idea that a finder 'owes' the cache owner an interesting log.

TFTC = Thanks For The Cache and is shorthand for "Thank you Mr. or Mrs. cache owner for hiding a cache for me to find". Do you really need more than that for doing something for someone else?

Exactly, and hiders should never feel "disrespected" for a cut and paste log. Not everyone will write a story, it doesn't mean they hated your cache.

For most, it's lack of time, interest, or ability to write a detailed log. Very few people are putting down the cache hider.

Sure, nobody is going to say much about an LPC or a guardrail grab, but if you hid one, would you really expect them to?

We have several guys in our area that say that if you do a "Cut and Paste" log on any of his hides he will delete it, it just will depend on what mood he is in. But I agree when I go out for speed caching (Getting 50+ caches in a day) it is hard to remember which one was which by the end of the day.

ScubaSonic

Well said, AR. :unsure:

I'd also like to add that not everyone is computer literate, not everyone can type, not everyone can read and write well, not everyone enjoys writing, and there is a younger generation for whom text-speak is becoming the norm. I personally may not be happy about any of those things, but as I have no control over other people and their lives, I try not to get too bent out of shape about it. :angry:

Well maybe you should try doing caches that have more then a Diff 1 and Terr 1 rating.

ScubaSonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I have trouble with the 'expectation of a good log' concept.

perhaps you misunderstand my motives.

i don't expect anything out of the caches i place. i talking without exception about the logs i read on OTHER people's caches. i believe that the game, played properly, involves a decent cache placed decently and a decent log written about it.

i do not approve of cheap shortcuts in geocaching, bicycle racing, academic study, cooking dinner, or personal hygiene.

i believe sloppy workmanship and shoddy services are becoming all to common, and that this trend is also present in geocaching. while i harbor no illusions that i can stop it, i can certainly speak up against it, and take care in my own work and play to counter it where possible.

if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

if you find a lot of caches i am not sufficiently dazzled by your greatness to believe that you should be excused from the minimum standard of writing a few words in your log.

TFTC, as part of some larger work signifies to me some sort of gratitude. TFTC on its own signifies to me a gratitude sufficiently watered down as to say "i'm entitled to this here smilie but i can't be bothered to write a half dozen words."

...else it signifies to me "i am a mentally deficient and not only do i wear boots in bed, but i have never learned to write and the mental challenge of writing words would tax me to the extent that i'd be worn out from the effort."

if i find a hundred and fifty caches in a day, i'll jolly well write a log for each one.

if i'm too busy and too important to write a decent log, i'm too busy and too important to find caches.

i have seen not only cachers that cut and past the same log into all the caches they found on a run, but more than one cacher who uses the exact same cut and paste log.

it's sloppy and lazy. while the cache owner has no right to expect anything from your log, it's still sloppy and lazy.

by "decent", i don't mean "long" or "imaginative". recently i saw a group of logs in which the finder had a few gracious words to say about each of the caches, never more than a sentence, and yet she took the trouble to write a log for every cache she found.

to the argument that you've simply found too many to be courteous and write a real log, i say poo. today i'm finishing my logs up from two saturdays ago, a day in which our count of caches found was over 150.

last saturday we found over a hundred.

and yep, i'll write a log for each one.

finding a lot of caches does not somehow make you special and important and thereby excused from basic courtesy.

and one need not look too far in the supermarket or on the interstate to see that far too many people are already too lazy and too convinced of their own specialness to think that common decency applies to them.

write your logs. it isn't all that hard, and it's the proper thing to do.

Well it sounds like from your post you think your pretty special......... you write logs the way you want, and everyone else can write their logs the way they want. Somehow it seems you have appointed yourself the "Keeper of all geocaching rules" give it a rest. REALLY

ScubaSonic

if i'm too busy and too important to write a decent log, i'm too busy and too important to find caches.

i have seen not only cachers that cut and past the same log into all the caches they found on a run, but more than one cacher who uses the exact same cut and paste log.

it's sloppy and lazy. while the cache owner has no right to expect anything from your log, it's still sloppy and lazy.

by "decent", i don't mean "long" or "imaginative". recently i saw a group of logs in which the finder had a few gracious words to say about each of the caches, never more than a sentence, and yet she took the trouble to write a log for every cache she found.

to the argument that you've simply found too many to be courteous and write a real log, i say poo. today i'm finishing my logs up from two saturdays ago, a day in which our count of caches found was over 150.

finding a lot of caches does not somehow make you special and important and thereby excused from basic courtesy.

and one need not look too far in the supermarket or on the interstate to see that far too many people are already too lazy and too convinced of their own specialness to think that common decency applies to them.

Well it sounds like from your post you think your pretty special......... you write logs the way you want, and everyone else can write their logs the way they want. Somehow it seems you have appointed yourself the "Keeper of all geocaching rules" give it a rest. REALLY

ScubaSonic

you still stink of chicken.

what's happening here is that you don't have the guts to meet me in the field; you can't take the competition, so you're attempting to come after me in the forums, where you are even more massively outgunned.

i'm smarter than you, i'm faster than you, i'm tougher than you, and i can tell an anvil from my elbow.

you got it wrong about coyote red, you got it wrong about kit fox, and you get it wrong about nearly everything.

you can't take the competition, you can't hold your own in a conversation, and you stink of chicken.

i'm still waiting for you to meet me in nebraska so i can kick your sorry butt from one end of the field to the other.

unless you're going to walk the walk, don't talk the talk, my little feathered punching bag.

ScubaSonic

what's happening here is that you don't have the guts to meet me in the field; you can't take the competition, so you're attempting to come after me in the forums, where you are even more massively outgunned.

i'm smarter than you, i'm faster than you, i'm tougher than you, and i can tell an anvil from my elbow.

you got it wrong about coyote red, you got it wrong about kit fox, and you get it wrong about nearly everything.

you can't take the competition, you can't hold your own in a conversation, and you stink of chicken.

i'm still waiting for you to meet me in nebraska so i can kick your sorry butt from one end of the field to the other.

unless you're going to walk the walk, don't talk the talk, my little feathered punching bag.

You're SO funny ,, tell me please , when do you leave school ?

Ah! Now we may be getting somewhere! It's the cache owner's interpretation of TFTC that determines whether it is acceptable!

I interpret TFTC to mean "Thank you Mr. or Mrs. cache owner for hiding a cache for me to find." That's what I mean when I write it, that's what I read it as when a finder posts it.

Flask interprets it quite differently...

TFTC on its own signifies to me a gratitude sufficiently watered down as to say "i'm entitled to this here smilie but i can't be bothered to write a half dozen words."

...else it signifies to me "i am a mentally deficient and not only do i wear boots in bed, but i have never learned to write and the mental challenge of writing words would tax me to the extent that i'd be worn out from the effort."

Others who object to TFTC may interpret it differently yet.

Therefore, some will feel that TFTC, as abbreviations are intended to do, conveys 'Thanks For The Cache' while others will choose to interpret it as an insult, or as a sign that the finder in mentally incompetent, or whatever they want it to mean! :angry:

If we wrote out "Thank you Mr. or Mrs. cache owner for hiding a cache for me to find." would that be acceptable?

ScubaSonic

as soon as the faculty meeting's over.

ScubaSonic

as soon as the faculty meeting's over.

hhmmm, i only asked because i havent heard talk like that since i was about 14 and listening to people aranging to meet behind the bike shed for a fight .... grow up dear and get over it ,,

some people like to write long logs, some people don't and others are incapable of it, as long as they log, I'm happy they are finding caches, which is after all why we are all here

Edited by Smurf

After reading through the posts, I’ll have to say I’ve had to do some “soul searching” and I appreciate all of the comments. I have been one that has logged several “TFTC” for the LPC or guardrail caches because they weren’t that noteworthy. On the other hand, I try to make my caches informative or in interesting places and to get a TFTC is disappointing. Nevertheless, as someone pointed out, I know it’s still there.

I also have come to the conclusion that even a LPC took time and effort to set up get approved and probably deserves more than TFTC. My bottom line is, if you’re too busy for a few words of thanks, you’re probably too busy. I’ll try to do better.

That's just one cachers opinion.

hhmmm, i only asked because i havent heard talk like that since i was about 14 and listening to people aranging to meet behind the bike shed for a fight .... grow up dear and get over it ,,

I think she got ya, Smurf... that sound more like she and ScubaSonic are friends jibing each other. :angry:

i did not concider that, :unsure:

But i still think that some people simply CAN'T write a long log, and i respect their right not to

I also have come to the conclusion that even a LPC took time and effort to set up get approved and probably deserves more than TFTC. My bottom line is, if you’re too busy for a few words of thanks, you’re probably too busy. I’ll try to do better.

That's just one cachers opinion.

see, and that right there is the best possible reason to have this conversation periodically.

it is through the jostling of ideas here on neutral turf that we are best able to think collectively about community standards.

of course everyone has the right to write the cheapest cut 'n' pastes they feel they can get away with, but really; if you thought it mattered to someone, wouldn't you want to bring your A game?

But i still think that some people simply CAN'T write a long log, and i respect their right not to

ah. i have NEVER said people ought to write a long log; just a decent one. a few informative or gracious words will do just fine. i can give you some links to very short and lovely logs that impressed me very much in that the writer had obviously found over a hundred caches in the day and yet took the time to write a few words for each one.

i have never been speaking of requirement, but simply the right way to do things. there's no law that says i have to let people into a long line of traffic, and there shouldn't be a law requiring it, but i still let people in. it's the right thing to do.

the right thing to do is usually not within the proper bounds of rules and laws.

i have very consistently argued in favor of decent containers in decent locations, with decent logs written. i have been very careful not to argue for really good containers in spectacular spots and pulitzer prize-winning logs.

even at the basic level, one can and should take the time to play well.

ah. i have NEVER said people ought to write a long log; just a decent one. a few informative or gracious words will do just fine. i can give you some links to very short and lovely logs that impressed me very much in that the writer had obviously found over a hundred caches in the day and yet took the time to write a few words for each one.

i have never been speaking of requirement, but simply the right way to do things. there's no law that says i have to let people into a long line of traffic, and there shouldn't be a law requiring it, but i still let people in. it's the right thing to do.

the right thing to do is usually not within the proper bounds of rules and laws.

i have very consistently argued in favor of decent containers in decent locations, with decent logs written. i have been very careful not to argue for really good containers in spectacular spots and pulitzer prize-winning logs.

even at the basic level, one can and should take the time to play well.

OK ... I replace "long" with "good" ....... some people may have "dificulty" composing something which you concider "good", and i respect their right not to have to ( and applaud the effort they do make)

Edited by Smurf

Well said, AR. :unsure:

I'd also like to add that not everyone is computer literate, not everyone can type, not everyone can read and write well, not everyone enjoys writing, and there is a younger generation for whom text-speak is becoming the norm. I personally may not be happy about any of those things, but as I have no control over other people and their lives, I try not to get too bent out of shape about it. :angry:

Really, how much computer literacy, writing ability and typing skills are required to write a simple

"Nice cache, we really enjoyed the view. Thank you"?

I apply the same logic to my caches. Find it, enjoy it, but you owe me nothing.

Which is my attitude as well. On the other hand I'm not going to waste my time and money placing the things if I don't know whether people are enjoying them. The logs are the only way I'm going to know that. "Found it" tells me the cache is still there (well we can't even assume that these days), but little else. Did you have fun? Did you enjoy the walk? Did you learn something? Did you like the view? I appreciate the feedback because if people aren't enjoying my caches I can spend my time and money on other things.

Edited by briansnat

Funny Here!

I just wondered myself if people would be offended about my cut&paste approach to logging a find. While I do normally add something to the cut&paste intro, there is only so much I can say for a mini/nano hide other than TFTC!

Seragilo

As TAR has been asking, how about actually typing out the words instead of just using the initials?

"Thanks for the cache" seems to play much better than "TFTC".