Write a story or you're being disrespectful?

dougsmiley

[

You mean like this CO complaint addressed to me on another thread....LINK:

this post.

"BTW, it's a two way street. GC1Y3GD. You DNF'ed my cache, and emailed me asking for a clue. I reset it the next day, emailed you back and practically led you to the cache. For my efforts, I got a "THTC...". That's kind of like tipping the waiter a penny for bad service."

I'd revise that to say, "That's kind of like tipping the waiter a penny for excellent service" and add that it is a superb simile (with my revision)

And this thread is exactly why some people stop posting their logs online at all.

I really don't understand why a thread in which the majority are saying that it is ok to log only something like TFTC, but it is better to write a quick sentence or two, would cause someone to stop posting online at all!

To me it is no different than one of the basic rules of geocaching, that if you take something from the geocache, leave something of equal or greater value. I feel if I have "taken" the enjoyment of hunting for and finding the cache, then the least I can do is "leave" an online log if for no other reason than the owner knows that someone has at least looked for their cache!

It is a way for me to thank them for their effort of hiding the cache, because I certainly don't feel they went to whatever work they did just for my enjoyment. If everyone stopped logging online, I would probaly quit hiding, because short of going to each of my caches all the time, I would have no way of knowing if anyone was even looking for them. Pretty boring from a cache hider's point of view!

The bare minimum of courtesy is a thank you....

Minimum - now that's something to aspire to. Is a thoughtful log required? No. Is it appreciated? Yes. Not just by the owners, but by those of us who love to read. I've driven long distances to hunt for a cache, based on it's logs. When traveling to unfamiliar areas, logs and pictures are often what helps me to decide to visit one cache over another. It's the logs that first got me hooked on caching, they peaked my interest and reminded me of all the places I've yet to visit.

Since when has it been a requirement to post a story with every single log?!

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally on the cache page. Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere.

Some of us, myself included just aren't in to typing out essay like logs for every cache we find, EVEN the cool ones! It used to be, "TFTC!" sufficed to tell the owner that you appreciated the find. I find writing, and reading (to be honest) these long winded logs to be about as interesting as watching paint dry. I thought this was about finding the cache, not sitting for hours on end writing ABOUT the cache. I find my time better spent FINDING CACHES! For me, the log is more record keeping than personal, and a simple TFTC! says, hey, I found your cache, thanks for hiding it so I could find it today.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with posting lengthy logs, but don't down people just because they don't do the same as you, and certainly don't expect if from people. Cachers come from all different backgrounds, some may be more capable and/or interested in typing out long logs than others.

My question is since when is the LOG more important than the FIND?! Where does this end? Are people going to start deleting legitimate find logs just because the log wasn't interesting enough?

Looks as though you and I started caching at about the same time. In MY experience, it has never been considered polite to log only TFTC. "TFTC" was an acronym to add to a cache after you have written something about your experience in the log (even geocaching.com says that it its literature). To have TFTC as the complete log is really a slam to most cache hiders, implying... whether rightly or wrongly... that there was nothing more to be said for their lame cache.

Nobody said to write an essay. Isn't there somewhere in between the extremes of writing an essay or a story and writing simply, "TFTC"?

Hmm. This influenced me to look at some of the logs. Actually, I'm going to excuse myself from this conversation, as the concept of logging "TFTC" for 111 parking lot caches which all themselves have 10 word or less cache descriptions, is totally foreign to me. Carry on though. :unsure:

To me it is no different than one of the basic rules of geocaching, that if you take something from the geocache, leave something of equal or greater value.
AWESOME!!! That quote should be engraved in a bronze plaque. Thank you. Perfect explaination of how some of us feel. Yeah, toss a film can with a scrap of paper inside underneath a spruce tree and forget about it... OK... "TFTC" is probably an equal trade. But buy a lock 'n lock or ammo can, spend $20 on swag, a few bucks on gas looking for just the right place to hide it, an hour or two working up an enticing cache page, spending a few hours or days doing cache maintenance when you would rather be finding caches... "TFTC" is tipping a penny for great service and to my way of thinking, is selfish and extremely rude.

I enjoy writing long logs if there's something interesting to write about. As a cache owner I enjoy getting something more than TFTC, but I am appalled that a cache owner would stoop so low as to e-mail a log writer taking them to task for a short/crummy log. I consider that a far more rude act than the "TFTC" log in the first place.

The first time I encountered the whole log-length issue was with a local cache hider who has a blurb on all their hides berating short logs as being disrespectful. I was new to the sport and had meant no disrespect with the short logs I had left up to that point. It put a bad taste in my mouth--to me it came across as controlling and judgmental--and to this day I think twice before going after one of this cache owner's hides.

In my humble opinion, the length of posted comments should be related to the quality of the cache/experience and the effort put into it. If I really enjoyed the cache, I will take the time to write why. If the cache is unimaginative, for example, a magnetic keyholder on a guardrail, I will simply say 'thanks for the cache". Frankly, there isn't much more to say.

I'm of this mind, also. If a cache owner gets nothing but a bunch of short acronyms in the online logs, then they need to think long and hard about the cache that's earning those logs. It's clearly uninspiring to people. Some people are just boring, and will only leave those messages no matter what. They should be ignored. But if a cache received descriptive logs on the whole, then I'd say the cache is a good hide and would get my attention when searching for caches to look for.

I have a cache in mind that would require quite a bit of effort in order to log. We're talking just a single cache could take all day to log at certain times. If a lot of people post lame logs on something like that, a cache that forces a short adventure of sorts, I WOULD be insulted by it, due to the amount of time and effort I'll have to put into just placing it.

The nearby country road with 50+ caches all in a row isn't remotely on my list, to be honest.

Hmm. This influenced me to look at some of the logs. Actually, I'm going to excuse myself from this conversation, as the concept of logging "TFTC" for 111 parking lot caches which all themselves have 10 word or less cache descriptions, is totally foreign to me. Carry on though. :unsure:

I'm not sure if that is a personal challenge or not, but if it is... try searching through my finds for "Cryogentic Cockroach Canister" or the similar (exactly similar, actually) "UM:" series. Identical containers, 99.99% LPC. Of course, in these cases, I do not feel the caches deserved any more than TFTC, but what fun would that have been for me? If that was all I was going to post, I should have hit the "ignore" link as soon as I learned what they were.
To me it is no different than one of the basic rules of geocaching, that if you take something from the geocache, leave something of equal or greater value.
AWESOME!!! That quote should be engraved in a bronze plaque. Thank you. Perfect explaination of how some of us feel. Yeah, toss a film can with a scrap of paper inside underneath a spruce tree and forget about it... OK... "TFTC" is probably an equal trade. But buy a lock 'n lock or ammo can, spend $20 on swag, a few bucks on gas looking for just the right place to hide it, an hour or two working up an enticing cache page, spending a few hours or days doing cache maintenance when you would rather be finding caches... "TFTC" is tipping a penny for great service and to my way of thinking, is selfish and extremely rude.

I couldn't agree more.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

just for the record, i have only just now finished writing my logs for 14 november, all 191 of them.

some of them were short. a lot of them were short. none of them consisted of TFTC.

while i was out on the road and again while i was logging i really appreciated those who took the time to write something at each of the caches they found; it helped us in the field and then again at time of logging.

the people who will appreciate a real log on every cache are not just the hiders, but finders as well.

there were three log writers that caught my attention out there: one wrote a few words about their hunt, even if all they said was that they could see the cache from the van. one writer had a few gracious words to say about the hiders or about the people mentioned in the cache description, and one wrote jarring and very funny non-sequiturs.

all of them were a help to me, providing landmarks and entertainment.

my run wasn't so grand as to have served as a gift to all the little people who made it possible; it would be discourteous at best for me to sweep in as if my very footprints smell of roses and all the caches along the way were placed for my enjoyment solely.

i feel that to find other people's caches demands something of me as well, even if that something is just a few words written for that cache and that cache alone. the fact that i have found a lot of caches in that day does not excuse me from this courtesy.

I'm surprised at one thing that nobody here has yet pointed out... nor in any of the similar threads that I can recall.

Do you... especially you power cachers... go paperless? Sure you do! Let's all be honest here... do you, when you can't find a cache right away, ever look at the past logs for help? SURE you do!!!. Don't you love it when all you see is, "TFTC" or similar copy/past logs? SURE YOU DO!!!

OK, if you're like me... you don't want a spoiler. You have pride in your ability to ferret out the toughest caches, but one of your tools for doing that is to read between the lines of the recent logs. Yes... you do that... don't even try to deny it. And you hate it when all you see is "Caching with FishBreath, find #104 of 209 today" (or TFTC, if you will). You and me both LOVE seeing things like, "probably stepped over it two or three times", or "looked up, and there it was". Admit it.

Edited by knowschad

"I wrote ten words so that flask can be happy."

If you can't do it for yourself, do it for flask. :lol:

whenever a hider decides to use an ammocan instead of a cracked gladware, flask is happy.

whenever a cache description gets proofread before posting, flask is happy.

whenever someone learns how to use an apostrophe, flask is happy.

whenever someone writes a log for each cache they find, flask is happy.

whenever finders put the cache back properly, flask is happy.

whenever a puzzle is clearly defined, flask is happy.

whenever a cache is properly rated for difficulty and terrain, flask is happy.

whenever a cache is full of interesting items, flask is happy.

whenever a cache is placed with care, flask is happy.

go ahead, make me happy. i dare you.

If someone would give me a flask, I'd be happy!

I think the OP was referring one of the instances as someone having a problem with 111 cut-n-paste logs. My personal opinion of folks who employ such tactics is they are users. They get to enjoy the efforts of others while giving nothing back. They get to have their smilie while the CO gets nothing. If it were truly about speed then the ignore function is quicker. Try it. I do when I've come across a cache I have no desire on logging. Of course, I don't care about my smilie count either.

The length of the log, I've found, is indicative to the quality of the adventure the cache offers. Trache consistently get short logs. Epic caches consistently get long logs. In between is a broad spectrum. I've found the log length parallels my experiences.

Here's what I would prefer people do: when you're looking at that text box on the log page think about the cache you visited. Write a few words of your experience. Nothing more than what you think that cache deserves, even if it's TFTS(milie).

I kept a journal to keep our adventures straight. I'm not a verbose logger, but each are unique. If there's a cache that would only otherwise get TFTC then I simply ignore it.

Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere.

The owner was correct. Your action was perhaps not disgraceful, but it was rude, and the owner had every right to be offended.

If you can't even remember something unique about every cache you did, why even do them? Is it just for the numbers? Personally, I can't imagine voluntarily doing something that sucked 111 times in a day.

Edited by fizzymagic

And this thread is exactly why some people stop posting their logs online at all.

The attitude and political BS in caching has drove me away, not towards. It's one of the reasons I don't bother writing logs anymore. Record keeping and PQs are much easier if you log the finds, plus, my numbers are a factor to me. . It drives me away from events. I'd rather cache with friends.

You know, it used to be that you showed your appreciation for other's hides by hiding your own caches. Personally, I typically don't even read the logs on my own caches unless they're a DNF or needs maintenance.

After 111 logs can I remember each cache exclusively? No. They run together. I think a total of 2 of the caches found that day were actually interesting. The rest, normal P&Gs. Obviously numbers runs are only really fun in groups, it's more of a social event then a scenic one. I enjoy riding around, nabbing caches and enjoying conversation and the hilarity that ensues.

My intent here was to educate new cache owners that this is acceptable practice and to take the stick out of their, well you know and just enjoy geocaching their own way.

If you have time to get on these forums every day and start a flame war, bitch at people on cache pages and by email, then you need to get a life. I'm just trying to bring up a topic to discuss, and usually avoid the forums, under 500 posts in 5 years is pretty low.

I'm not very politically correct so people will flame me for that. Oh my god he said @#@$. NO!!! AHH!! Grow up.

The attitude and political BS in caching has drove me away, not towards. It's one of the reasons I don't bother writing logs anymore. Record keeping and PQs are much easier if you log the finds, plus, my numbers are a factor to me. . It drives me away from events. I'd rather cache with friends.

You know, it used to be that you showed your appreciation for other's hides by hiding your own caches. Personally, I typically don't even read the logs on my own caches unless they're a DNF or needs maintenance.

After 111 logs can I remember each cache exclusively? No. They run together. I think a total of 2 of the caches found that day were actually interesting. The rest, normal P&Gs. Obviously numbers runs are only really fun in groups, it's more of a social event then a scenic one. I enjoy riding around, nabbing caches and enjoying conversation and the hilarity that ensues.

My intent here was to educate new cache owners that this is acceptable practice and to take the stick out of their, well you know and just enjoy geocaching their own way.

If you have time to get on these forums every day and start a flame war, bitch at people on cache pages and by email, then you need to get a life. I'm just trying to bring up a topic to discuss, and usually avoid the forums, under 500 posts in 5 years is pretty low.

I'm not very politically correct so people will flame me for that. Oh my god he said @#@$. NO!!! AHH!! Grow up.

TFTP! :lol:

Seriously though, good post! Right on.

to me and to my friends, TFTC as a stand-alone log translates roughly to "i can't be bothered to write even so much as 'thank you' but i'm happy to collect a smilie."

Like I said earlier. We all play differently.

I don't think anyone is going to challenge you on that.

For me, what makes the way flask plays the game different, and the way those that just writes a TFTC, is that flask posts logs (she has logged quite a few of my caches) that express a sincere form of gratitude, while the TFTC just looks like an obligatory minimal response that doesn't really express any gratitude at all. When I see 10-15 logs posted on my caches all with the same minimal content, I do translate it into "I'm just happy to collect the smiley", and to me, it feels selfish, whereas a log like flask writes feels more courteous.

So, while we all play differently, I translate that into some cachers are more courteous and generous with their thanks for the effort that I make when placing caches, and some cachers are selfish; that the only "thanks" they're willing to extend is that finding a cache adds a number to their stats.

I am very surprised to hear you say that. Why would a forum thread stop anyone from posting their online logs? Why would hiders stating that getting copy & paste or acronym-only logs bother them stop anyone from posting their logs online? Are you saying that anyone that gets called on being rude can not be blamed for becoming ruder? That statement does not sound like one that I would expect to hear from MM, to be frank.

Ok, it's not the thread per se, but what happened to the OP and what others are saying about it being "rude" to only post "this" or "that" in one's log that makes some people stop posting their logs online at all.

I don't mind people saying that it "bothers" them as everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and their feelings. But the same should apply to the the person logging.

To me, it's completely rude and inappropriate for ANYONE to contact anyone else stating that their log "wasn't good enough" for whatever random reason. I do not consider TFTC to be a "rude" log in any way shape or form. To each his own is my philosophy. And contacting someone to tell them them that their log didn't me my (or someone else's) particular nuance of what is an acceptable log is completely inappropriate in my opinion.

Again, this is why some people no longer log their finds online.

I am very surprised to hear you say that. Why would a forum thread stop anyone from posting their online logs? Why would hiders stating that getting copy & paste or acronym-only logs bother them stop anyone from posting their logs online? Are you saying that anyone that gets called on being rude can not be blamed for becoming ruder? That statement does not sound like one that I would expect to hear from MM, to be frank.

Ok, it's not the thread per se, but what happened to the OP and what others are saying about it being "rude" to only post "this" or "that" in one's log that makes some people stop posting their logs online at all.

I don't mind people saying that it "bothers" them as everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and their feelings. But the same should apply to the the person logging.

To me, it's completely rude and inappropriate for ANYONE to contact anyone else stating that their log "wasn't good enough" for whatever random reason. I do not consider TFTC to be a "rude" log in any way shape or form. To each his own is my philosophy. And contacting someone to tell them them that their log didn't me my (or someone else's) particular nuance of what is an acceptable log is completely inappropriate in my opinion.

It all comes down to basic manners, which many people lack.

If someone does something for you, like going to the considerable effort of putting together an imaginative or otherwise especially enjoyable cache, then it is appropriate to properly thank that person. TFTC doesn't hack it, just as TFTD is adequate for someone who cooked you a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Faint praise is an insult.

However, I agree that no violation of basic manners is as bad as correcting someone else for their bad manners.

One has to just accept the fact that some people just have bad manners and that it is ultimately their problem, not yours, and there is no reason to get worked up over it.

Edited by geomann1
... To me it is no different than one of the basic rules of geocaching, that if you take something from the geocache, leave something of equal or greater value. I feel if I have "taken" the enjoyment of hunting for and finding the cache, then the least I can do is "leave" an online log if for no other reason than the owner knows that someone has at least looked for their cache!
The problem is, those people who demand more out of logs cause angst and push people towards not leaving online logs. If these people would stop trying to bend all others to their whim, this would not be an issue.

I enjoy writing long logs if there's something interesting to write about. As a cache owner I enjoy getting something more than TFTC, but I am appalled that a cache owner would stoop so low as to e-mail a log writer taking them to task for a short/crummy log. I consider that a far more rude act than the "TFTC" log in the first place.

Agreed

Great post.

I think that if you want to receive great logs on your caches you need to hide caches that inspire great logs. If you hide cut and paste caches you will get cut and paste logs.

That said, there will always be a few who write the shortest possible logs on even the most inspired of caches. That is just the way it is. No sense in getting all in a snit over it.

If someone does something for you, like going to the considerable effort of putting together an imaginative or otherwise especially enjoyable cache, then it is appropriate to properly thank that person. TFTC doesn't hack it, just as TFTD is adequate for someone who cooked you a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Faint praise is an insult.

The thing is, you are presuming that those who log 'TFTC' are not actually expressing their thanks. I presume that they are, since they are using an acronym that actually means 'Thanks For The Cache'. If they were always logging nothing but 'found', I would likely agree with you.

I think that if you want to receive great logs on your caches you need to hide caches that inspire great logs. If you hide cut and paste caches you will get cut and paste logs.

That said, there will always be a few who write the shortest possible logs on even the most inspired of caches. That is just the way it is. No sense in getting all in a snit over it.

Agreed. One needs to look at all the logs on his/her cache to get an idea of how well it is liked. Getting angsty over any one particular log's length is not useful.

if i'm too busy and too important to write a decent log, i'm too busy and too important to find caches.

i have seen not only cachers that cut and past the same log into all the caches they found on a run, but more than one cacher who uses the exact same cut and paste log.

it's sloppy and lazy. while the cache owner has no right to expect anything from your log, it's still sloppy and lazy.

by "decent", i don't mean "long" or "imaginative". recently i saw a group of logs in which the finder had a few gracious words to say about each of the caches, never more than a sentence, and yet she took the trouble to write a log for every cache she found.

to the argument that you've simply found too many to be courteous and write a real log, i say poo. today i'm finishing my logs up from two saturdays ago, a day in which our count of caches found was over 150.

last saturday we found over a hundred.

and yep, i'll write a log for each one.

finding a lot of caches does not somehow make you special and important and thereby excused from basic courtesy.

and one need not look too far in the supermarket or on the interstate to see that far too many people are already too lazy and too convinced of their own specialness to think that common decency applies to them.

write your logs. it isn't all that hard, and it's the proper thing to do.

Unless the cacher has had a lifetime of joint issues and pain, and their only option is to use copy-paste. Telling us it isn't hard and that it's the "proper thing to do" contradicts... ah forget it.

If you can't do it for yourself, do it for flask. ;)

whenever a hider decides to use an ammocan instead of a cracked gladware, flask is happy.

Not I... if you don't do things her way she'll publicly label your habits disrespectful and rude... and call you a whore. :lol:

... then with the advent of number whores, TFTC made its ugly appearance because it was too much trouble to actually write words.

All while demanding a minimum level of courtesy!

And Moose Mob was quite correct... myself and others I know quit logging online long ago in large part because of this kind of attitude.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'll admit, shortly after I started caching I used "TFTC" as a log on a few hides. I honestly didn't know what else to write. After a little bit I realized that it doesn't take that much more to write a little about the experience.

Then I hid a couple of my own. I really enjoy a descriptive log. I had my first "TFTC" posted and I really was kind of sad.

I've since noticed the same cacher posting exactly the same thing on a few caches I've found. I presume it is just their way of marking their finds. It did make me wonder if they actually found them though...

Miss Manners will tell you that it is always rude to comment on another person's rude behavior. The correct response to rudeness is to ignore it.

Yes, it's rude to break wind at a dinner party. It's even MORE rude to loudly shout "Pee Yooo, who cut the cheese?" in response.

I wasn't aware I was obligated to share my experiences at the risk of being called rude. I log more detail when I have something to say. I don't always have something to say. If that is disrespectful, eh well, whatever.

I think it's bad manners to form an opinion about someone based simply on a short cache log. Get to know me before you hate me, okay?

Not I... if you don't do things her way she'll publicly label your habits disrespectful and rude... and call you a whore. :lol:

... then with the advent of number whores, TFTC made its ugly appearance because it was too much trouble to actually write words.

And Moose Mob was quite correct... myself and others I know quit logging online long ago in large part because of this kind of attitude.

ah, no.

flask does not wander around the landscape correcting other people's behaviors.

if you open or take part in a public discussion about whether or not certain behaviors are rude, flask will join that discussion and call them what they are.

if you are a number whore or a firstfind whore (as flask is) you know the shoe fits.

as to not logging online, if your logs consisted of TFTC, flask will have to say it's no great loss.

I agree and disagree. I have to admit that I sometimes find it unsettling to see a post on one of my hides that says "Quick Easy Find" when I know it may have been easy but I not quick. So I would check out the other finds for that cacher and they post the same thing on every cache. It's not that I want a story in detail, but any feedback about my hide would be great.

I love to write, so I tend to write more on every cache I find. To me that is part of the game, but to each his own. If someone doesn't want to write more than TFTC or Quick Find, I won't hold it against them. I know that I like stories and other people don't.

That won't stop me from posting lengthy stories and if nobody wants to read them, that's ok.

I have had cache owners write to thank me for a log (usually an off topic riff inspired by a name or location) but never have had one to tell me they think I was rude. By the same token, I have written finders when their logs indicate something that might make the cache better, or raises my curiousity in a good way. But believe it or not, I have limited time and a TFTC log is not going to inspire me to do anything.

I can't imagine writing to a person who cuts and pastes initials any more than I would wrote to a CO about how their cache was boring. There is no need to do either.

Since when has it been a requirement to post a story with every single log?!

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally on the cache page.

I guess you could go back and post a longer log mentioning that the cache was boring, dull, very common, ill placed, tacky, and a waste of time an energy. That would make for a longer log and might make the cache owner happy.

Posters are mentioning that folks don't log online anymore because of owner attitudes. I wonder how many cachers don't place caches anymore because of logger attitudes.

I find it interesting that the thread went from the OP's not writing an essay or cut-n-paste 111 logs to TFTC. Some are still arguing the OP's point and some are arguing TFTC. Two different arguments.

The OP was right in not having to write an essay, but wrong in thinking 111 cut-n-paste is the right thing to do. From looking at his profile page with is full of stats, I can see were he's coming from. It's all about the numbers.

It's my personal opinion that cut-n-paste logs, regardless of length, are nothing more than a check mark. I think some folks would prefer a check box on the Nearest Cache List page. Just check the boxes and click the "Mark all checked as found" button.

ah, no.

flask does not wander around the landscape correcting other people's behaviors.

if you open or take part in a public discussion about whether or not certain behaviors are rude, flask will join that discussion and call them what they are.

if you are a number whore or a firstfind whore (as flask is) you know the shoe fits.

as to not logging online, if your logs consisted of TFTC, flask will have to say it's no great loss.

I think the levity in my post was overlooked. Flask=a container to hold libations. So a few sips and I'd be happy.

I was trying to lighten things up. Why do people have to get so bent out of shape by the way others play the game? Do I prefer to get a well done log on my hides? Sure. Do I expect it every time? No. Will I get bent out of shape if someone puts TFTC? No, that is what they chose to write.

Let's stop being so worried about other people, be thankful for what we do get, and enjoy our hobby a lot more.

Edited by jeffbouldin

It doesn't take much effort to come up with something unique to say for each cache. I understand its quite hard to find something to say for every log, but the hider put an effort in to hide the cache for you to find, I think taking a few seconds to come up with a log is a reasonable request. I just hate copy and pasted logs on dozens of caches or even worse a single acronym log, it just seems rude.

Posters are mentioning that folks don't log online anymore because of owner attitudes. I wonder how many cachers don't place caches anymore because of logger attitudes.
Interesting thought. I have to wonder though, If the cache owner stops hiding caches because he isn't getting inspired logs then perhaps we wouldn't miss those caches?

Probably wouldn't miss them if the average log length was low, but if you have a community with enough users then a CO might think it's not worth it enough to keep the caches for the folks who actually appreciate them. Baby and bath water.

It's not that I want a story in detail, but any feedback about my hide would be great.

^^^^^^^^^^

RIGHT THERE!!! That is probably the most to the point, succinct expression of what I feel is expected in a log. Thank you!

Not trying to be flip, but I'm not fully clear what that would include.

If I don't have a "story" I can talk about the trip to get there, the general weather, maybe something I saw along the way, something about the find effort, the condition of the cache, and trading.

It's not that I want a story in detail, but any feedback about my hide would be great.

^^^^^^^^^^

RIGHT THERE!!! That is probably the most to the point, succinct expression of what I feel is expected in a log. Thank you!

If I don't have a "story" I can talk about the trip to get there, the general weather, maybe something I saw along the way, something about the find effort, the condition of the cache, and trading.

Yep.

^^^^^^^^^^

Yep.

Okay, I wasn't sure if that was enough.

Sure that would be enough. I just smiled after reading these new logs on a couple of my hides. Both are PnG's, well, one might take a little looking. :lol:

Great way to hide a cache!
Super Awesome spot!

Did it really take that much more effort to type this instead of TFTC?

Granted they aren't LPC's nor guard rails, but they also aren't epic adventures. As a CO it's certainly more rewarding to see this than TFTC. As a cache finder I try to write a little more too.

Cut 'n' paste logs for cut'n'paste caches?

How about typing "Wow, this cache really sucks. Why don't you archive it so someone who knows what they are doing can place a GOOD cache here?"

TFTC doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

I have a cache that gets some pretty nice logs and photos. Well, actually it's the location that gets all the compliments I just happen to have a cache there.

Last year at this time someone posted just a TFTC on my cache.

Considering all the other logs I guess I really didn't care if that's all they wanted to say. At least not enough to say they had no manners and certainly not enough to email them about it.

edit: Clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

Last year at this time someone posted just a TFTC on my cache.

Considering all the other logs I guess I really didn't care if that's all they wanted to say. At least not enough to say they had no manners and certainly not enough to email them about it.

edit: Clarification

I appreciate that you didn't give me a hard time.

with apologies to Bob Dylan...

How words must a cache log have

Before it is considered good?

Yes, 'n' how many TFTCs must we all endure

Before someone deletes the find?

Yes, 'n' how many times must the opinions fly

Before we realize this is a game?

The answer, my friend, is waitin' in the forums,

The answer is waitin' in the forums.