Write a story or you're being disrespectful?

dougsmiley

Since when has it been a requirement to post a story with every single log?!

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally on the cache page. Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere.

Some of us, myself included just aren't in to typing out essay like logs for every cache we find, EVEN the cool ones! It used to be, "TFTC!" sufficed to tell the owner that you appreciated the find. I find writing, and reading (to be honest) these long winded logs to be about as interesting as watching paint dry. I thought this was about finding the cache, not sitting for hours on end writing ABOUT the cache. I find my time better spent FINDING CACHES! For me, the log is more record keeping than personal, and a simple TFTC! says, hey, I found your cache, thanks for hiding it so I could find it today.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with posting lengthy logs, but don't down people just because they don't do the same as you, and certainly don't expect if from people. Cachers come from all different backgrounds, some may be more capable and/or interested in typing out long logs than others.

My question is since when is the LOG more important than the FIND?! Where does this end? Are people going to start deleting legitimate find logs just because the log wasn't interesting enough?

Edited by dougsmiley

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally. Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere.

My question is since when is the LOG more important than the FIND?!

I won't deny that being told your actions were disgraceful was ... well, disgraceful. :unsure: And no one should ever harass anyone for posting a short log, or comment at all unless it was inapropriate.

Having hidden a few caches, one of the things I enjoy is getting a nice log, if the cache warrants it. It makes me upset when people say that they never post online. To me, that is one of the rewards for hiding a cache for someone to find. I certianly don't do it just for the enjoyment of someone I have never seen that feels so entitled that they don't have to even acknowledge the hider.

I like proper logs for each cache, but finding 111 caches in a day, I don't blame you for the copy and paste logging. I'd probably be tempted to do the same in the very unlikely event I found that many in one day!

You probably got a stronger (and unnecessary) version of the feelings I expressed above. I like good logs, but I'll take whatever the finder gives me and am glad for it. It is better than no log at all!

BC

Exactly, and hiders should never feel "disrespected" for a cut and paste log. Not everyone will write a story, it doesn't mean they hated your cache.

For most, it's lack of time, interest, or ability to write a detailed log. Very few people are putting down the cache hider.

Sure, nobody is going to say much about an LPC or a guardrail grab, but if you hid one, would you really expect them to?

Exactly, and hiders should never feel "disrespected" for a cut and paste log. Not everyone will write a story, it doesn't mean they hated your cache.

For most, it's lack of time, interest, or ability to write a detailed log. Very few people are putting down the cache hider.

Sure, nobody is going to say much about an LPC or a guardrail grab, but if you hid one, would you really expect them to?

i sure wouldn't expect someone to write much about a lpc or a power trail, that would be just be silly and take WAAAAAAY to much time. maybe if a few were memorable (like an encounter with a LEO) it might get a little more then a copy paste log but on a lpc/power trail, it would really have to be something good.

even on my large cache, heck as long as people are finding it and its not getting muggled i appreciate any logs even TFTC/TFTH/TNLNSL/any variant of... if they log it they at least appreciated it (even if it was only for a +1)

you could always make your posts longer i guess by posting copy/paste logs in morse code :unsure:

"Thanks For The Cache" in Basic Morse code is:

- .... .- -. -.- ... ..-. --- .-. - .... . -.-. .- -.-. .... .

wonder what type of message you would get over that lol

and what about those who sign online logs with just there Siggy style log, seen smiley sets as well as morse as a signature log a few times

(edit: spelling lol)

Edited by KeeperOfTheMist

Why sure! At least I do for my McKerral LPC

Let me clarify. I never expect a story .. even just a line or two usually makes my day. Most cache hiders I believe are the same. If you like the cache, the best thanks is more than TNLN TFTC. :unsure:

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I try to write unique logs for every cache because, as a cache owner, I know how important logs are to the cache owning experience. I think most cache owners look forward to the logs because it lets them know that their efforts are appreciated.

I probably would have stopped hiding caches long ago if everybody just wrote "found it". When I see that I get the sense that my cache was just another notch in the finder's belt and he didn't appreciate the cache for the nice view, cool rock structure, interesting historic site, beautiful walk or whatever reason I placed the cache in the first place.

There is one cacher in my area who finds some of the most incredible caches and all he ever writes is "found it". In the beginning it left me wondering if he actually did find the caches. I now know he did because I've seen his signature in many of the paper logbooks, but when he logs my caches it leaves me wondering what he thought. Did he enjoy the walk? Did he like the view? Did he have trouble finding the container? Was the cache in good shape?

Shared experiences and a sense of community are a large part of the reason this sport has taken off the way it has and the logs are the key to fostering that sense of community. I can't count the times that a conversation with another cacher started with "I saw your log for..." and soon two people who were strangers moments ago are chatting like old friends.

I understand that some people just don't have it in them to write lengthy logs, but it wouldn't kill them to write something unique for each cache. Things like "Found it. Enjoyed the view" or "Cool sculpture, TFTC" is enough.

No, I wouldn't call cookie cutter logs disrespectful, but they are disappointing.

I try to write unique logs for every cache because, as a cache owner, I know how important logs are to the cache owning experience. I think most cache owners look forward to the logs because it lets them know that their efforts are appreciated.

I probably would have stopped hiding caches long ago if everybody just wrote "found it". When I see that I get the sense that my cache was just another notch in the finder's belt and he didn't appreciate the cache for the nice view, cool rock structure, interesting historic site, beautiful walk or whatever reason I placed the cache in the first place.

There is one cacher in my area who finds some of the most incredible caches and all he ever writes is "found it". In the beginning it left me wondering if he actually did find the caches. I now know he did because I've seen his signature in many of the paper logbooks, but when he logs my caches it leaves me wondering what he thought. Did he enjoy the walk? Did he like the view? Did he have trouble finding the container? Was the cache in good shape?

Shared experiences and a sense of community are a large part of the reason this sport has taken off the way it has and the logs are the key to fostering that sense of community. I can't count the times that a conversation with another cacher started with "I saw your log for..." and soon two people who were strangers moments ago are chatting like old friends.

I understand that some people just don't have it in them to write lengthy logs, but it wouldn't kill them to write something unique for each cache. Things like "Found it. Enjoyed the view" or "Cool sculpture, TFTC" is enough.

No, I wouldn't call cookie cutter logs disrespectful, but they are disappointing.

If the cache is cool or unique enough it will get at least that from me. Nice hike, or something - besides TFTC. One unique cache on my 111 day was actually hidden inside a model barn at lowes, sure, lame parking lot but still it was unique. It got something besides the cookie cutter log.

It's not going to get to be over one or two sentences 99% of the time because my time is limited and my interest in detailing the entire trip to and from the cache is nil.

I'm not saying it may not be disappointing to an owner, I can understand that, but we need to get away from the #$#@ you, get out of our hobby if you don't write a good log mentality that seems to be spreading.

People just need to let other people find and log as they wish. Publicly menacing or even privately emailing someone over something like this is not a good practice, I think most of us can agree on that.

Do LPC and Guardrail hiders expect the finders to say much? I suppose they don't. We've all seen those cache pages with 100 "quick grab TFTC" logs. And I'll bet seeing 99 other such logs would be a strong influence to write one yourself.

Of course it was wrong to scold you via email, especially if one of that person's caches wasn't involved. I don't know the details, but I could imagine someone going to that length if you found 90% of the caches in store parking lots, but dropped the same cut and paste log on a few "pretty decent" caches, maybe even on one of theirs.

I see you've been around since 2005, quite a long time by the standards of Geocaching, and bordering on "old timer" status. There's been talk about the lost art of logging around here. Did you see anyone dropping 111 copy and paste cache logs in your area in 2005? I'll bet you probably didn't.

if i'm too busy and too important to write a decent log, i'm too busy and too important to find caches.

i have seen not only cachers that cut and past the same log into all the caches they found on a run, but more than one cacher who uses the exact same cut and paste log.

it's sloppy and lazy. while the cache owner has no right to expect anything from your log, it's still sloppy and lazy.

by "decent", i don't mean "long" or "imaginative". recently i saw a group of logs in which the finder had a few gracious words to say about each of the caches, never more than a sentence, and yet she took the trouble to write a log for every cache she found.

to the argument that you've simply found too many to be courteous and write a real log, i say poo. today i'm finishing my logs up from two saturdays ago, a day in which our count of caches found was over 150.

last saturday we found over a hundred.

and yep, i'll write a log for each one.

finding a lot of caches does not somehow make you special and important and thereby excused from basic courtesy.

and one need not look too far in the supermarket or on the interstate to see that far too many people are already too lazy and too convinced of their own specialness to think that common decency applies to them.

write your logs. it isn't all that hard, and it's the proper thing to do.

A nice way which shows proper appreciation to each cache owner is to write a leading few lines or paragraph telling about the day's objective / adventure then follow by a line or two in reference to the particular cache. The purpose of my log is to thank the owner and to document my experience for myself and other who may care. A copy and past of 27 of 111, cleaning out the area, or TFTC is in thoughtless and makes the game about the numbers not the adventure. With that said I wouldn't send an email to chastise a cacher about copy and paste logs, unless there is more than what we've been told.

If time is limited, schedule your logging time as part of your actual caching time. You may not find as many caches, but you may find yourself enjoying life a little more, with the added reflection of the day.

Taken from a local cache description:

"What's the catch?" you may say. The only requirement for this opportunity is that you regale others of your adventure. ALL POSTS SHOULD BE A STORY OF YOUR ADVENTURE. Please, no one-liners. Should be at least one paragraph or more. Be creative. There is no max! This cache's title is intentional. Tell us a story.

When originally submitted for review there was mention of deleting one-liner logs...the reviewer wouldn't publish it (thank goodness). IMO, it's still borderline ALR. However, thanks to this logging requirement, instead of being FTF'd in hours or minutes, like most of our local caches, this cache sat for an entire week...and after more than two months only has three finds logged. Could this be a result of the logging request?

Some folks, myself included, don't like being told how long our logs should be. I average about 50 words, with a max of less than 600.

The game calls for the finder's name in the cache log, an online log is optional.

The guidelines call for the CO to delete bogus online logs, but do not stipulate what a log must be.

TFTC is a perfectly acceptable online log... any CO 'requirement' beyond that is an Additional Logging Requirement and is not allowed.

The owner may want more, may enjoy long logs, but cannot require them and, if a CO deletes your TFTC, Groundspeak will restore it.

Therefore yes, if a CO fusses at you or deletes your log for brevity or because he expects more from you then he is both wrong and being disrespectful.

Well said. I agree with every word. As an owner of complex caches, I really appreciate getting nice logs. It is what makes the whole thing worthwhile. I get the odd "TFTC" but not many.

Thanks briansnat for summarizing so well.

dougsmiley, you should read toniczech's thread over here, complaining that the 4000 character limit for cache logs is way too restrictive.

It just goes to show that people on either end of any spectrum are likely to complain, while those in the middle are happy with the way things are.

Rumor has it that there's a user out there whose logs are always exactly the right length. He never offends a sensitive cache owner, nor does he need multiple logs to tell his story. The guy's name is smileyczech. :unsure:

I find it somewhat ironic that you have posted three in this short thread to defend your lack of logging length. There isn't any requirement to post anything more than found it or even tftc. But it sure is nice as a CO to read about the enjoyment that someone had finding my cache.

Generally speaking I'll put a little more effort into the logs of the caches that were placed with more effort. And I have enjoyed my fair share of 100+ find days, so I do understand how much time and effort unique logging takes.

When I first started my logs were not epic tales but because I was doing 1 or 2 at a time I was able to go into detail about my experience.

Now, I do a lot more series' but always make a point of writing at least one quick sentence for a good hide.

As a cache owner I do enjoy good logs but when someone just writes TFTC I couldn't care less. It's up to them what they write, not me.

to the argument that you've simply found too many to be courteous and write a real log, i say poo. today i'm finishing my logs up from two saturdays ago, a day in which our count of caches found was over 150.

last saturday we found over a hundred.

and yep, i'll write a log for each one.

finding a lot of caches does not somehow make you special and important and thereby excused from basic courtesy.

and one need not look too far in the supermarket or on the interstate to see that far too many people are already too lazy and too convinced of their own specialness to think that common decency applies to them.

write your logs. it isn't all that hard, and it's the proper thing to do.

And I say to you that making an effort to write a 'proper' log of all caches regardless of how many you do in a day does not make you special either.

People should be allowed to log how they like without receiving public or even private criticism. We all play this game different ways and for different reasons. The only thing you should expect as a cache owner is that they find it and thank you for it which is covered in a TFTC log. Anything else is a bonus.

Edited by paulbarratt

And I say to you that making an effort to write a 'proper' log of all caches regardless of how many you do in a day does not make you special either.

no, it does not make me special.

it makes me exercising the bare minimum of courtesy.

unfortunately, to you and others the bare minimum looks to be too much trouble, or "special".

no, it does not make me special.

it makes me exercising the bare minimum of courtesy.

unfortunately, to you and others the bare minimum looks to be too much trouble, or "special".

The bare minimum of courtesy is a thank you. I actually commend you for taking the the time to write longer logs than most people but it does not mean that you can apply your own personal standards to everyone else and call them sloppy.

The log is the only reward the cache hider gets. If you are doing a power caching run and an owner has several caches hidden in the same area he/she gets an Inbox full of duplicate emails for each cache you found. What does that tell the owner? "You're cache is nothing more than a smiley to me. It meant nothing. It offered nothing unique. I will have forgotten the entire experience as soon as I hit OK."

Some caches don't deserve much more than that. Some caches deserve more. Just be aware of what your cache logs might be saying to the cache owner, intentionally or not. I despise copy and paste logs myself.

For me, the log is more record keeping than personal...

This is another statement that struck me. I too use my online logs for record keeping purposes, but more than just "accounting" I use them for tracking my experiences. I'd like to think I am doing caches that are interesting enough that years from now I might like to look back on my logs and have the written record bring back forgotten memories beyond "Oh, this was 45 or 56 that day."

it used to be (as long as the OP is on the topic of what used to be normative) that however short the log was, people took the time to write out a few words.

then with the advent of number whores, TFTC made its ugly appearance because it was too much trouble to actually write words. then newer cachers began to think this was how things were done, and then all of a sudden we had people who thought the good old day were when TFTC was the best anybody expected.

when i find a hundred or so caches in a stretch, i really appreciate previous logs in which a finder has taken the time to write a few words for each cache, however brief. it helps me make sense of the caches i'm finding, and it helps me remember them when i come to write my own logs.

to me and to my friends, TFTC as a stand-alone log translates roughly to "i can't be bothered to write even so much as 'thank you' but i'm happy to collect a smilie."

the next time you're tempted to write a non-log, consider:

we found it before we left the van.

boy, that sure is a dusty road!

this one had us going for a minute, but we found it.

that's a pretty view.

this one is hard to find in the dark.

i really, really love this guardrail.

we got this one on our way to lunch.

i don't know how i missed that one the first time i walked by it.

smells powerful much bad here.

it's been a wild ride.

there you go; ten viable logs, each of which would be preferable to TFTC. it isn't hard to write a few words, however brief. back before we had TFTC people actually used words. it is a charming custom that i very much recommend.

to me and to my friends, TFTC as a stand-alone log translates roughly to "i can't be bothered to write even so much as 'thank you' but i'm happy to collect a smilie."

Like I said earlier. We all play differently.

I suggest we stop and see sense before this thread becomes like a certain notorious thread. This will be my last post on this topic so I'll list my impressions below.

1. It is OK to write a short log. Even if it is just a TFTC

2. Calling people sloppy and saying they are not showing common courtesy by typing TFTC is not OK. Gratitude is implied in TFTC.

3. Smilie collectors are doing nothing wrong. Their way of playing the game may be different to yours and you may not like it but there is nothing you can do about it. Complaining about it only makes you appear elitist. As this is a community game noone should try and make out that they are better then anyone else unless that person is into cache trashing and suchlike.

Gratitude is implied in TFTC.

no, what's really implied by TFTC is "i wish to convey an impression of gratitude, but am too lazy to say thank you."

TFTC has no more meaning than when the cashier down at the quick-stop says "have a nice day" without looking up from texting her BFF.

i have even seen a log in which the "writer" calls the cache owner a loser (edited to be family friendly) and closes with TFTC and a smilie.

other gracious acts similar to TFTC:

hi. i was going to bring you flowers, but i didn't.

happy birthday. here's some pocket lint.

can i get change of a quarter out of that collection plate?

i know you cooked dinner special, but i'm really in a hurry. can i get mine to go?

here's a cocktail napkin with merry Christmas on it. that's my card for the year.

i found this on a curbside. happy mother's day.

potluck? sure. here's a candy bar from the vending machine.

it used to be (as long as the OP is on the topic of what used to be normative) that however short the log was, people took the time to write out a few words.

then with the advent of number whores, TFTC made its ugly appearance because it was too much trouble to actually write words. then newer cachers began to think this was how things were done, and then all of a sudden we had people who thought the good old day were when TFTC was the best anybody expected.

when i find a hundred or so caches in a stretch, i really appreciate previous logs in which a finder has taken the time to write a few words for each cache, however brief. it helps me make sense of the caches i'm finding, and it helps me remember them when i come to write my own logs.

the next time you're tempted to write a non-log, consider:

we found it before we left the van.

boy, that sure is a dusty road!

this one had us going for a minute, but we found it.

that's a pretty view.

this one is hard to find in the dark.

i really, really love this guardrail.

we got this one on our way to lunch.

i don't know how i missed that one the first time i walked by it.

smells powerful much bad here.

it's been a wild ride.

there you go; ten viable logs, each of which would be preferable to TFTC. it isn't hard to write a few words, however brief. back before we had TFTC people actually used words. it is a charming custom that i very much recommend.

Given that 'TFTC' has been around longer than you've been playing the game, I find it hard to believe that you have some kind of inside scoop on why each person uses it.

That being said, I think it would be helpful if everyone remembers that 'TFTC' is a person's way to show thanks for the cache (since that's what it actually means).

For those that think that 'TFTC' is derogatory, I would advise them to either concentrate on the non-TFTC logs or hide better caches.

I have very little pity for people who insist that all others kowtow to their whims. I would normally advise people like this to grow up.

Very well said. Especially that last line.

The log is the only reward the cache hider gets. *snip*

Another eloquent statement. The log is not more important, but once I hide a cache that's all I get.

For me, the log is more record keeping than personal...

This is another statement that struck me. I too use my online logs for record keeping purposes, but more than just "accounting" I use them for tracking my experiences. I'd like to think I am doing caches that are interesting enough that years from now I might like to look back on my logs and have the written record bring back forgotten memories beyond "Oh, this was 45 or 56 that day."

This is why I will go back and read my logs sometimes. I can enjoy the cache all over again!

Copy and paste this when logging your next cache run:

"I wrote ten words so that flask can be happy."

If you can't do it for yourself, do it for flask. B)

I love it! This made me laugh! :unsure::P

Some people just aren't computer-minded ( :P ack, I hate that term) but it's true!

As a techie it frustrates me no end but the simple fact is that some people don't really have the gumption to click, click, scroll, click, write 100 words, scroll, click, click, click.

For non-techies, writing a sentence on a log page may be quite an effort. It doesn't mean they didn't appreciate the cache, location, hike they sometimes write bigger logs in the logbook too... in fact all that excites them more than actually sitting in front of a screen and typing it all out into a faceless, un-exhilarating interface - those people probably don't read these forums either. :unsure:

My wife struggles to check her email even once a week. Every now and then someone emails her something for me and then they wonder why I never responded.

She loves seeking caches, but she's just not that interested in the techie side. She'll hold the GPSr and punch a few buttons but I have to set it up. Luckily for her, I'm a techie, I know my way around the tubes, and I know how to log caches.

"I wrote ten words so that flask can be happy."

If you can't do it for yourself, do it for flask. :unsure:

whenever a hider decides to use an ammocan instead of a cracked gladware, flask is happy.

whenever a cache description gets proofread before posting, flask is happy.

whenever someone learns how to use an apostrophe, flask is happy.

whenever someone writes a log for each cache they find, flask is happy.

whenever finders put the cache back properly, flask is happy.

whenever a puzzle is clearly defined, flask is happy.

whenever a cache is properly rated for difficulty and terrain, flask is happy.

whenever a cache is full of interesting items, flask is happy.

whenever a cache is placed with care, flask is happy.

go ahead, make me happy. i dare you.

For those that think that 'TFTC' is derogatory, I would advise them to either concentrate on the non-TFTC logs or hide better caches.

Actually, it depends on which cacher is writing a log just consisting of TFTC. There are cachers at least in my country who use TFTC to express that the have an extremely low opinion about the cache and think that the cache is a superfluous one and just a waste of time or if something is severely wrong with the cache (that's not my interpretation, but is openly admitted by them - it is a kind of a code word for them with which they hope to avoid confrontations with the hider of the cache). On the other hand there are others with a tendency to write short logs regardless of whether they liked a cache or not. For the latter group TFTC does not have an overall negative meaning.

If one does not know the logger more closely, it's probably the best not to come up with any sort of interpretation for the reason behind a TFTC log. If someone receives, however, many such logs and in particular more than expected, there might be the time to think about the reasons and to reconsider the cache.

Cezanne

In my humble opinion, the length of posted comments should be related to the quality of the cache/experience and the effort put into it. If I really enjoyed the cache, I will take the time to write why. If the cache is unimaginative, for example, a magnetic keyholder on a guardrail, I will simply say 'thanks for the cache". Frankly, there isn't much more to say.

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally on the cache page. Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere...

No requirement and hardly "disgraceful" either, in my book, but nice if you can manage to do it. B)

If we ever set a power trail of 50+ caches (it'll never happen :P ) then I wouldn't expect to receive a unique, hand-crafted log for every cache.

If we ever find a power trail of 50+ caches (again, very unlikely :unsure: ) I would probably log most simply as "Found at <time>" (unless there was something particularly notable about certain caches in the series) but I'd try and do 2 or 3 sentences on the final cache to describe the whole caching experience and express our appreciation.

MrsB

I think anyone who would criticize a log as being disrespectful, simply because it doesn't contain some unwritten, yet predetermined number of characters, has other issues going on. I am happy when someone is willing to take the time & effort to hunt one of my caches. If their quest ends in a "TNLNSL", I can live with that.

However, I prefer longer logs, as I am, at heart, a story teller and avid reader. Typically, I have to run my logs through an online character counter, so I don't exceed Groundspeak's 4000 character limit. Many times, I have to split what I wrote into one found it log and a note or two. I think my record is one found it and 5 notes. Because of my love of reading, I tend to create hides that I feel will generate longer than average logs, and I think I've been mostly successful. I consider my efforts worthwhile when I read a log from someone who usually only types a few letters on their other finds, posting a full sentence or two on mine.

Log what you want. Have fun doing it. Everything else is just a bonus. :unsure:

Some people just aren't computer-minded ( :P ack, I hate that term) but it's true!

As a techie it frustrates me no end but the simple fact is that some people don't really have the gumption to click, click, scroll, click, write 100 words, scroll, click, click, click.

This point always comes up in these threads. Speaking of these threads, I dare you to try to find one on this subject from 2002, 2003 or 2004. Go ahead, I dare you. :unsure: It wasn't always like this. The "quick grab" mentality is upon us. Sure, you can probably find a few isolated 5 word cache logs from 2002 from "non-techies" if you really dig for them. But they are few and far between.

This point always comes up in these threads. Speaking of these threads, I dare you to try to find one on this subject from 2002, 2003 or 2004. Go ahead, I dare you. :unsure: It wasn't always like this. The "quick grab" mentality is upon us. Sure, you can probably find a few isolated 5 word cache logs from 2002 from "non-techies" if you really dig for them. But they are few and far between.

Merely the first one that came up

from 2003

Edited by sbell111

from 2003

OK, 2004, and it's the upper limit of the date range I posted. And of course the OP is Flask. :D

Holy crap, you know a thread is old if the 3rd post is Ambrosia asking what TFTC means. B)

Editing after SBell111 edited, I believe the 2nd thread is just asking what the "SL" after the then already known "TNLN" was, not complaining about logs that contain only TNLNSL and nothing else. I also believe both threads refer to acronym's being used rather than typing out "thank you" or "thank you, signed log". Fascinating really, as far as the evolution of this particular subject. By the way, squish the fish tomorrow.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally on the cache page. Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere.

Some of us, myself included just aren't in to typing out essay like logs for every cache we find, EVEN the cool ones! It used to be, "TFTC!" sufficed to tell the owner that you appreciated the find. I find writing, and reading (to be honest) these long winded logs to be about as interesting as watching paint dry. I thought this was about finding the cache, not sitting for hours on end writing ABOUT the cache. I find my time better spent FINDING CACHES! For me, the log is more record keeping than personal, and a simple TFTC! says, hey, I found your cache, thanks for hiding it so I could find it today.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with posting lengthy logs, but don't down people just because they don't do the same as you, and certainly don't expect if from people. Cachers come from all different backgrounds, some may be more capable and/or interested in typing out long logs than others.

My question is since when is the LOG more important than the FIND?! Where does this end? Are people going to start deleting legitimate find logs just because the log wasn't interesting enough?

You mean like this CO complaint addressed to me on another thread....LINK:

this post.

"BTW, it's a two way street. GC1Y3GD. You DNF'ed my cache, and emailed me asking for a clue. I reset it the next day, emailed you back and practically led you to the cache. For my efforts, I got a "THTC...". That's kind of like tipping the waiter a penny for bad service."

from 2003

OK, 2004, and it's the upper limit of the date range I posted. And of course the OP is Flask. :D

Holy crap, you know a thread is old if the 3rd post is Ambrosia asking what TFTC means. B)

Editing after SBell111 edited, I believe the 2nd thread is just asking what the "SL" after the then already known "TNLN" was, not complaining about logs that contain only TNLNSL and nothing else. By the way, squish the fish tomorrow.

I probably added the link to the 2003 thread after you read my post.

from 2003

Editing after SBell111 edited, I believe the 2nd thread is just asking what the "SL" after the then already known "TNLN" was, not complaining about logs that contain only TNLNSL and nothing else. By the way, squish the fish tomorrow.

Read the posts starting with #9

I fear that the fish may remain unsquished.

Two instances lately, one directed at me have brought this to my attention. First, someone was harassed for posting a short log on a cache locally. Second, I was doing a power cache run, and upon logging all 111 of my days finds with *gasp* the same log, I was contacted by one owner who thought my action was disgraceful, and an insult to cache hiders everywhere.

I like proper logs for each cache, but finding 111 caches in a day, I don't blame you for the copy and paste logging.

What i hate is the "out with X and Y, this was hide #36 of 111 we found today"

even if a hide is lame i try to say something different about each one.

Looks as though you and I started caching at about the same time. In MY experience, it has never been considered polite to log only TFTC. "TFTC" was an acronym to add to a cache after you have written something about your experience in the log (even geocaching.com says that it its literature). To have TFTC as the complete log is really a slam to most cache hiders, implying... whether rightly or wrongly... that there was nothing more to be said for their lame cache.

Nobody said to write an essay. Isn't there somewhere in between the extremes of writing an essay or a story and writing simply, "TFTC"?

The bare minimum of courtesy is a thank you. I actually commend you for taking the the time to write longer logs than most people but it does not mean that you can apply your own personal standards to everyone else and call them sloppy.

OK... then, how about "Thank you for the cache"? I am pretty good typist, but I timed it, and that took me less than 4 seconds to type. Someone that has to hunt and peck... maybe 10 seconds.

And this thread is exactly why some people stop posting their logs online at all.

I am very surprised to hear you say that. Why would a forum thread stop anyone from posting their online logs? Why would hiders stating that getting copy & paste or acronym-only logs bother them stop anyone from posting their logs online? Are you saying that anyone that gets called on being rude can not be blamed for becoming ruder? That statement does not sound like one that I would expect to hear from MM, to be frank.

I too am trying to write more extensively when logging a find or do not find. While we only have ten active caches, we like reading more than "TNLNSL, TFTH". We are not paperless so when we do find a cache, I will jot down a couple notes about the find so when logging in, I can remember which cache was which.

There are times when we have level constructive criticism about the location, condition of the cache, etc. Whether its taken seriously, we do not know. We would rather write down our experience with the cache in the find posting rather than create a blog or come boo hooing to the forums (and create another dead horse)

That all said, there have been some caches we have found where the cache owner has not logged into the cache profile for a long time. Then I will save some keystrokes and put down "Thanks", or TNLNSL, TFTH because the owner will not see it.