Bushwhacking

Opalblade

I think it's typically interpreted as "slogging through rough terrain," sometimes with but typically without the aid of a blade. You could substitute the phrase "going off-trail" just as easily. I do not destroy vegetation in my search for a cache. I have had to pick my way through dense patches of thorns, circumnavigate marshes, and make difficult ascents and descents, but I tried to leave no sign of my passing there, so as to leave the challenge and thrill of the search intact for the next cacher.

It was a little tongue in cheek :) But was mostly curious if anyone ever takes a handheld pruner with them for the impassable spots thick with thorny brambles. I've been in spots where I've really wished I had one on hand.

I definitely went bushwhacking (in the getting beaten up by vegetation sense) today :huh: Long climb up a hill thick with branches and brambles with the four mini ninjas in tow. Little mini ninja got scratched a couple of times but was a trooper. We got to the top and it was a DNF - was getting dark fast so our search time was very short.

At one point on the way back down mini ninja #2 said, "Mommy! You have a stick in your pants!!!" and sure enough I did :P I pulled it out and it broke into multiple little twigs that went right down my pants. Had some moves to do at the bottom of the hill to get them out :lol: A couple walking their dog caught me in my unladylike state lol - I made a comment about the twigs very loudly as they went by :laughing::anibad:

I asked my guys in a hesitant voice, "Would you guys EVER want to go back up that hill to try to find that container?" Mini ninjas (in unison) "YEAH!!!! THAT WAS SO FUN!!" :laughing:

Too many injuries associated with machetes. I usually push through, and in the Central CA Coast area where I usually cache, that's pretty much what passes as a trail, so you just learn to live with it

Actually, in the Central CA Coast area where you live, that's how you get Poison Oak. Or at least, that's how I get PO. :laughing::laughing::lol:

You'll get chewed out here in the forums if you mention you use a machete to clearcut your way to the cache. Cutting a swath to the cache makes the route to the cache and the hiding place a little too obvious. Cache owners don't like that.

There were times I wanted to cut my way through some of the brambles.

So some people really use machetes? I was just going for a funny image, not imagining anyone would actually do that. I still however might start carrying a small hand pruner for the occaisonal strategic bramble trimming. Too risky when they're at eye level for my smaller kiddos and there's no easier way in.

I cache mostly out here on the prairie. Bushwaking is a bit different. Mostly 5 foot high tumbleweeds (SOMETIMES WINDBLOWN TO 30 FOOT DEEP!!) and sagebrush - depending on the season maybe some 3 foot tall grass. :laughing:

Actually - plenty of opportunity for bushwaking in the river valleys around here and the pine ridges and mountains to the West and North.

Most of the times I've gone bushwacking ...er off trail, its because i got too eager following the GPS when I should have followed the trail. Keep in mind that no matter where the cache is you're not the first one to travel to it. The vast majority of caches are along or near a trail of some kind. Remember, you make one trip in. The CO needs to make periodic maintenance trips. 2 or 3 trips in and there's a geotrail. If you're passing through an "inpenetrable" thicket, its because mobody went that way before and there's probably an easier way if you stick to the trail a little further. 1/2 mile on a trail is MUCH easier than 1/10 mile in a thicket. Quicker, too.

At one point on the way back down mini ninja #2 said, "Mommy! You have a stick in your pants!!!" and sure enough I did :D I pulled it out and it broke into multiple little twigs that went right down my pants. Had some moves to do at the bottom of the hill to get them out :D A couple walking their dog caught me in my unladylike state lol - I made a comment about the twigs very loudly as they went by ;):D

I asked my guys in a hesitant voice, "Would you guys EVER want to go back up that hill to try to find that container?" Mini ninjas (in unison) "YEAH!!!! THAT WAS SO FUN!!" :lol:

Thats a funny image. ;):D

I have branches slapping my face and thorns catching on my clothes and skin. It's part of the sport. Anybody who uses a machete to hack his way to a cache is a moron.

Hey! I only used it the once! And even then it was only to hack my way through the rest of the FTF hounds.

I did that once too.... Indy was leading the way while I fought off the FTFrs. :lol:

I have branches slapping my face and thorns catching on my clothes and skin. It's part of the sport. Anybody who uses a machete to hack his way to a cache is a moron.

This coming from a moderator.. wow.

I don't moderate this forum. I'm just a regular poster here. As such I'm allowed to express my opinion , just like anybody else.

Edited by briansnat

When you say you are bushwhacking, do you mean you have branches slapping your face and thorns catching on your clothes and skin? Or do you break out the machete? ;)

My definition of bushwacking: plunging into the great outdoors, regardless of terrain or weeds or trees, or whatever and not caring a bit! :D

Machete? :lol: No thanks..... ;)

I own a machete, but it gets used in my own backyard...not on cache hunts. Someone is a moron if they hack their way through the brush to find a cache. Not only is that a HUGE violation of Leave No Trace guidelines, it can also be outright illegal in some places. Furthermore, as has been said, it creates a path straight to the cache.

Personally, if a cache of mine ended up with a trail like that, I'd archive it.

So some people really use machetes? I was just going for a funny image, not imagining anyone would actually do that. I still however might start carrying a small hand pruner for the occaisonal strategic bramble trimming. Too risky when they're at eye level for my smaller kiddos and there's no easier way in.

I carry a hand pruner with me at all times on the trail - the non-native, invasive Himilayan Blackberry tend to choke out some trails, so I do some work to keep it in check. But that's along the trail, I don't use it to cut a way into a cache.

I carry a hand pruner with me at all times on the trail - the non-native, invasive Himilayan Blackberry tend to choke out some trails, so I do some work to keep it in check. But that's along the trail, I don't use it to cut a way into a cache.

Occasional pruning of the invasive Himalayan Blackberry (they are known to grow 6-10 feet per year per stem) in our part of the country is a good thing for trails. Knowing how to trim other plants can help save with trail maintenance, not knowing could do harm.

Just be careful WHAT you trim! :lol: You never know where I may be lurking. ;)

There are lots of deer around here, and they leave trails to follow, which I often use.

You have to spot them (hoofprints are one clue) and walk crouched or bent over.

Thorns are the only big problem. Usually I can push them out of the way; sometimes I break the branch.

Gotta watch out for spiderwebs, though. I typically wave a long twig in front of me to catch them.

This coming from a moderator.. wow.

As a moron for many years, I can vouch for Mr Snat's characterization. Us morons usually do things the incorrect way. Using a machete to protect our sensitive bodies from harmless plants, usually results in the banning of a sport that we enjoy. Moronic behaviour is self depreciating. We do things that we later regret. Although I have NEVER used a machete to find a cache, one day I will probably seek the need to be *complete* and have the urge to do it. To be even further *complete*, it will most likely have to occur after the park's posted hours, and result in the bannation of the sport geocaching in the area altogether. It will be a tough choice, as I really enjoy caching, but the tendency to fufill the inner moron in me will most likely ultamately take over. We morons have been around since the inception of mankind, and have no plans to go away. Us morons are everywhere, in every country and all over the planet. We are the root cause of all disasters, and one of us are at the scene of every auto accident. Universally hated, we are everywhere. Nationwide. Deal with it. Please don't emulate us.. :angry:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

With very few exceptions, if I have had to do extensive bushwhacking to a cache, I have found an easier way OUT. I don't think the CO wants the experience of severe briar wrestling any more than I do, so keep an open mind about possible points of attack and alternate routes to GZ. I have placed a cache (The Point) that requires almost 0.5 mile passage through rough vegetation. All the while going in, I was looking for the easiest possible access. For every rule however, there is always an exception... Use Your Equipment

With very few exceptions, if I have had to do extensive bushwhacking to a cache, I have found an easier way OUT.

Amen to that. Nearly every time I've had to fight my way to a cache I end up walking back out on a fairly well defined geopath. The bottom line is your GPSr won't always lead you in via the path of least resistance.

Pete

With very few exceptions, if I have had to do extensive bushwhacking to a cache, I have found an easier way OUT.

Amen to that. Nearly every time I've had to fight my way to a cache I end up walking back out on a fairly well defined geopath. The bottom line is your GPSr won't always lead you in via the path of least resistance.

Pete

The cache owner usually doesn't want to have branches slapping his face and thorns catching his clothes and skin than the searchers do. That's why there is almost always an easy way to the cache.

Sometimes I place caches that punish those who blindly follow the arrow and reward those who can read a topo map and choose their route wisely. heheheh

Edited by briansnat

noble_60sale.jpg