Garmin Oregon 200

Robfire

Hello, I am looking at getting a new Oregon 200 for caching, Gander Mountain has them in their Black Friday add for just a mere $199.99 a $250 savings! I currently use a GPS60 but would like to do a couple of where i go caches if it will do so, if it doesnt I will just stick to the GPS 60. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Rob

its a nice unit and considering how much the mini sd cards are going for a 4gb one and the 200 device will save you loads and do just as well as a 300 (minus the magnetic compass bit). I have a 300 but dont even use the extras and have an sd card within that i could use to store everything on that i would have used if the 300 didnt have the memory it comes with.

Hello all, I am new to caching myself started reading about it on the web and started filling out a spreadsheet to load onto my cars Garmin 500 I think it is. Just found my 50th today, Ya!

Anyway, I was just about to buy the Delmore PN-30 when I saw this add at Gander Mtn. for the $200 Oregon 200. I of course went all over the forums looking for what you all had to say.

I decided it will work for my paperless caching needs. Went to the store and of course sold out. So we went to the Gander web site and they show the paper but the 200 series was not even listed as an option to buy. So, we called the store and they said they would see what they can do.

Meanwhile my wife went to ebay and found one for $220 and she got a 8% discount so for $202 I will be an Oregon owner. Now I just need to research more about the maps. Well, just after my wife hit the buy it button the same store I stopped by called and said they found on in the back room behind some other stuff. Oh well. I figured their price was a way to get people in and they only have just one, so I am not sure what thier deal is.

Just wanted to pass on my story. Now back to the forums to learn more about my new toy! :lol:

Hello all, I am new to caching myself started reading about it on the web and started filling out a spreadsheet to load onto my cars Garmin 500 I think it is. Just found my 50th today, Ya!

You'll find life a lot easier with premium membership and GSAK (if you're running Windows). With the Nuvi 500, and with the Oregon, you can have all the cache information at your fingertips. It makes geocaching a lot easier. For the Nuvi, read about Pilotsnipe's GSAK paperless macro, and for the Oregon, you can either copy the GPX from your PQ directly to it, or you can do your filtering in GSAK and run the Colorado export macro.

Good luck with your new toy.

I just purchased an Oregon 300 at REI yesterday for $250. I got the Topo U.S. 100k maps to go with it for an additional $100; that's $350 plus tax.. The Oregon 400t sells for $450 at its cheapest. The only difference between the 400t and the 300 is the preloaded topo maps. Do the math. So I guess you could say that my Oregon 300 is now a 400t, just $100 cheaper. :D

Edited by Team Idasam

You're gonna love it! Grab some free maps for it at http://gpsfiledepot.com

I expect the Oregon to be so much easier than using an excel spreadsheet on my old GPS. I will also become a PM but I wanted to wait until I had the new one and read up on the process. I'm still learning the GSAK spreadsheet also.

The latest question I have is about maps (since I can not do a search in these forums on the word "maps" :D ) does anyone know how I can get more information about what maps the Oregon 200 comes with and why I would need to use the gpsfiledepot instead of the garmin downloadable maps?

Is there a way to select which map I would use on the O200?

Thanx

Bill

I like the others in this post saw the ad for the Oregon 200. $199 at Gander Mtn.... Gander Mtn had the unit listed regular price for $449.99.. and when I was checking the ads I also checked the Garmin Site. Before black friday (I think wendsday) Garmin had the unit listed for $450 and on black friday the price changed on the website (snowfleurys: Thats what has happened). Must be getting ready to discontinue.

Any ways,

I am just starting out with Geocaching, although I'm not a total noob. I had an eTrex, and I have a pocket pc phone with GPS.. the Oregon is awesome. Already found 8 caches.

A tip for some:

This is probably known info, but I was having a heck of a time getting Geocaches loaded correctly. I got a Pocket Query and transferred with Garmin MapSource. This did not work very well. Only 18 Cache sites out of 500 showed up under the "Geocache" section.. and then like 40-50 cache sites showed up as "GC5TBN" for example under Waypoints.

Read on the forum: READ: GET GSAK

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) Built and transferred EVERYTHING correctly just how I wanted it the first time. Now I have 500 Geocaches! Yay!

I like the others in this post saw the ad for the Oregon 200. $199 at Gander Mtn.... Gander Mtn had the unit listed regular price for $449.99.. and when I was checking the ads I also checked the Garmin Site. Before black friday (I think wendsday) Garmin had the unit listed for $450 and on black friday the price changed on the website (snowfleurys: Thats what has happened). Must be getting ready to discontinue.

Any ways,

I am just starting out with Geocaching, although I'm not a total noob. I had an eTrex, and I have a pocket pc phone with GPS.. the Oregon is awesome. Already found 8 caches.

A tip for some:

This is probably known info, but I was having a heck of a time getting Geocaches loaded correctly. I got a Pocket Query and transferred with Garmin MapSource. This did not work very well. Only 18 Cache sites out of 500 showed up under the "Geocache" section.. and then like 40-50 cache sites showed up as "GC5TBN" for example under Waypoints.

Read on the forum: READ: GET GSAK

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) Built and transferred EVERYTHING correctly just how I wanted it the first time. Now I have 500 Geocaches! Yay!

No need for GSAK at all!! Or any other software for that matter. Simply place the unzipped gpx file from Groundspeak onto the unit in the [drive:]\garmin\gpx folder - unhook and go caching.

You're gonna love it! Grab some free maps for it at http://gpsfiledepot.com

I expect the Oregon to be so much easier than using an excel spreadsheet on my old GPS. I will also become a PM but I wanted to wait until I had the new one and read up on the process. I'm still learning the GSAK spreadsheet also.

The latest question I have is about maps (since I can not do a search in these forums on the word "maps" :unsure: ) does anyone know how I can get more information about what maps the Oregon 200 comes with and why I would need to use the gpsfiledepot instead of the garmin downloadable maps?

Is there a way to select which map I would use on the O200?

Thanx

Bill

It comes with just a base map which is not very useful. The maps at gpsfiledepot are free, Garmin maps are not.