GPS For Vehicle

loadingzone

As you will quickly see, I'm not real savy in this area.

I would like to purchase a GPSr for our vehicle so it can more easily direct me to the destination cache as well as one that I can pre load geocaches into along a route, on a city, etc. so I can see them if I happen to be driving by them.

I see there are a lot of Black Friday deals on the Garmin Nuvi 200's series (205, 255, 255W, etc.).

Any suggestions? Do I have to purchase a separate piece of software/maps to get the turn by turn street view?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by loadingzone

I have a 255W. NOTE THAT IF YOU GET A NUVI 200 SERIES GET THE WIDESCREEN VERSION ("W") IF YOU PLAN TO CACHE WITH IT. This is because the non-widscreen versions require you to push "where am I" over and over to figure out your exact gps coords while the widescreen version updates in real time. No other software or anything needs to be bought or loaded. However, I would highly recommend using the pilotsnipes tutorial when loading caches. This allows you to paperless cache (and even if you don't use it outside of the car, it will have all the hints, description, etc that you might want to look at before leaving the car). Here's the link - http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html

I'd recommend one of the Nuvis as well. I like mine, but it's been discontinued a while back.

The features that differentiate them are:

• Screen size (I suggest a widescreen or min. 4.3 inch)
  • Text to speech (I highly recommend getting one with this)
  • Speech recognition
  • Lane assist, 3D view
  • FM Data / MSN (traffic info, free for some, subscription for others)
  • FM transmitter (broadcast to your car's radio)
  • Bluetooth
  • Headphones / Line out connector
  • Takes memory card (edit : seems like they all do, though some take SD and others microSD)
  • MP3 player / Audible / Photo viewer

I'm sure there are other features I missed as well.

I highly recommend GASK and the PilotSnipes macro as well. And a dashboard (sandbag) mount and throw away the windshield suction mount.

Edited by Chrysalides

how much are the 200 series? i see there's some deals on the nuvi 1200, which i have. i believe it does all that the 200's do, but also has an advanced pedestrian mode and if you go out of town you can download 'city x-plorer maps' for that town that will help you get on buses and subways as well. also has eco-route that will help you maximize your gas mileage.

how much are the 200 series? i see there's some deals on the nuvi 1200, which i have. i believe it does all that the 200's do, but also has an advanced pedestrian mode and if you go out of town you can download 'city x-plorer maps' for that town that will help you get on buses and subways as well. also has eco-route that will help you maximize your gas mileage.

200 series seems to go for below $200 around here, I've seen the 255W for $150ish. Amazon's price today is $160. I think I saw a Black Friday deal on a 255WT for $130 at Best Buy if you want to brave the stampede.

200 series seems to go for below $200 around here, I've seen the 255W for $150ish. Amazon's price today is $160. I think I saw a Black Friday deal on a 255WT for $130 at Best Buy if you want to brave the stampede.

nuvi 1200 at amazon and best buy is 129.00

nuvi 1300 widescreen at amazon is 155.47 and at target is 169.00

worth a look.