etrex

grub54891

yes, if you have a PC cable. If it is the basic, yellow eTrex it is not sold with the cable. You need to buy it.

look on Ebay where they tend to be a lot cheaper than getting them through Garmin

It is a popular unit for geocaching.

You can also enter coords by hand. Mark a waypoint, then edit the coordinates to match those of your destination.

yes, if you have a PC cable. If it is the basic, yellow eTrex it is not sold with the cable. You need to buy it.

look on Ebay where they tend to be a lot cheaper than getting them through Garmin

It is a popular unit for geocaching.

You can also enter coords by hand. Mark a waypoint, then edit the coordinates to match those of your destination.

Thank's,I need the cable,haven't figured out how to enter the coordinant's by hand yet! Besides,the cable should be easier for this. I've seen alot of cache's on this website and would like to start doing it!!I'm thinking I could combine it with metal detecting.Grub...

I use the etrex, downloading the way point is much easier then entering manually. Its just a standard usb cable, the same ones most digital cameras and mp3 players use. You can probably get one from the dollar store.

You just have to install a quick plugin, theres a link posted to it right from this sight when you click "send to gps"

Look at cable connection on the Etrex to see which one yours has. The older Etrex' and the current entry-level Etrex use a proprietary connection with a serial connection. Since most of today's computers no longer support serial connections, you'll need a serial-USB adapter. The newer Etrex' have the ubiquitous mini USB connection.

Easiest way to enter coords by hand is to press and hold the toggle in the map screen until the mark-a-waypoint screen pops up. You should be able to figure it out from there.

Here is the older style connection that requires the adapter.

datacable_connection.jpg

Edited by Chuy!
he older Etrex' and the current entry-level Etrex use a proprietary connection with a serial connection. Since most of today's computers no longer support serial connections, you'll need a serial-USB adapter.

Not long ago someone on Ebay was selling an Etrex cable with built in USB adapter. It was only $15 bucks. I can't vouch for how well it works, but the seller said there was a money back guarantee. If it works it can save a lot of money because the eTrex cable is $30 from Garmin and I paid about the same for my USB/Serial adapter at Staples.

I use the etrex, downloading the way point is much easier then entering manually. Its just a standard usb cable, the same ones most digital cameras and mp3 players use. You can probably get one from the dollar store.

You just have to install a quick plugin, theres a link posted to it right from this sight when you click "send to gps"

One thing to keep in mind is that, while doing some multicaches, you'll need to know how to manually enter, or at least manually change, the coordinates.

I about fell over when I saw what Garmin wants for one of their cables. eBay was much more reasonable. And you can find USB to eTrex cables on eBay, too. I moved my Geocaching programs to my laptop, which doesn't have a serial port. eBay to the rescue!

he older Etrex' and the current entry-level Etrex use a proprietary connection with a serial connection. Since most of today's computers no longer support serial connections, you'll need a serial-USB adapter.

Not long ago someone on Ebay was selling an Etrex cable with built in USB adapter. It was only $15 bucks. I can't vouch for how well it works, but the seller said there was a money back guarantee. If it works it can save a lot of money because the eTrex cable is $30 from Garmin and I paid about the same for my USB/Serial adapter at Staples.

Mine works very well - no issues at all.

Been using the yellow eTrex for my past 388 out of 400 finds (first five without GPS, next seven with a borrowed unit). I enter the caches manually and have maxed out a few times lately. Time to dump some found caches. I don't have/use a cable to transfer the cache info to the eTrex.

Edited by PeachyPA