Re-waterproofing waterproof jackets

Delta68

OK sounds like you had a contamination / softener issue.

Clean out the softener draw of all traces of fabric conditioner.

Using a waterproof washing liquid to wash some items like your fleeces. we use this

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/produ...php?productid=4

Use the same washing liquid to wash all your waterproofs.

Use a wash in waterproofer to waterproof the fleeces. we use

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/produ...mp;activityid=1

Use the wash in waterproofer to waterproof your waterproofs :)

Iron your waterproofs.

The main issue with rewaterproofing is left over detergent and fabric conditoner from before, we usually run an empty cycle through the washing machine before hand just to make sure. Running our fleeces through helps remove the last traces of old detergent.

Your main issue now will be removing the softener from your waterproofs.

The above always works for us on a berghaus and montane coat, plus the cheaper kids stuff, waterproof trousers, hats etc etc.

I used to work at the Defence Clothing Research & Product Support organisation before it was shut down and contractorised :) . I was advised by the "experts" there to wash breathable fabrics (Gortex etc) using a soap based powder and not to use detergents and also to to make sure the washing machine is clean of any detergents or softeners by cleaning the dispensers and running it empty on a hot wash first. Once washed I was advised to then tumble dry it and iron it as the heat realigned the fibres. This has worked for me although I have not been brave enough to iron it, i would assume the iron would be on a low to medium heat.

OK sounds like you had a contamination / softener issue.

Clean out the softener draw of all traces of fabric conditioner.

Using a waterproof washing liquid to wash some items like your fleeces. we use this

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/produ...php?productid=4

Use the same washing liquid to wash all your waterproofs.

Use a wash in waterproofer to waterproof the fleeces. we use

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/produ...mp;activityid=1

Use the wash in waterproofer to waterproof your waterproofs :)

Iron your waterproofs.

The main issue with rewaterproofing is left over detergent and fabric conditoner from before, we usually run an empty cycle through the washing machine before hand just to make sure. Running our fleeces through helps remove the last traces of old detergent.

Your main issue now will be removing the softener from your waterproofs.

The above always works for us on a berghaus and montane coat, plus the cheaper kids stuff, waterproof trousers, hats etc etc.

Totally agree

What you must remember is that proofers do not actually make it waterproof, but restore the DWR (Durable Water Resistant) coating of the jacket.

When waterpoofs loose the DWR the water can soak into the outer layers of the fabric (using my eVent coat for example) the breathability is reduced so your sweat does not excape as easily. This results in the inside of the coat getting damp. The coat itself is not leaking, it's just not letting the moisture produced from your body out.

heat helps restore the DWR coating too but you do have to be careful not to use too hot a setting otherwise more perminant damage can be done to the clothing.

Edited by Ant89