Aerial image straight from Google Earth

RangerR47

All the instructions I see for custom maps are for taking a jpg file and using GE to make an overlay, what I want to know is can you just take the image from GE without using a jpg? I mean You can save an image from GE as a jpg, but I dont want that, I want to take the image and have it be what I need as is for use on my Colorado. Im sure Im missing something really easy, but closest I can see is to save jpg from GE and then add to overlay, but this seems stupid and unnecessary to try and do this.

All the instructions I see for custom maps are for taking a jpg file and using GE to make an overlay, what I want to know is can you just take the image from GE without using a jpg? I mean You can save an image from GE as a jpg, but I dont want that, I want to take the image and have it be what I need as is for use on my Colorado. Im sure Im missing something really easy, but closest I can see is to save jpg from GE and then add to overlay, but this seems stupid and unnecessary to try and do this.

Pretty sure that even exporting from GE to .jpeg for this purpose violates the GE terms of service.

I think the GE TOS was discussed in detail in another thread. From what I gathered you can use an exported jpg and it's derivative for your own personal use. Putting it on your personal GPS would certainly be for your own personal use. What you can't do, however, is create kmz files and distribute them.

JetSkier

Edited by JetSkier

Since google earth uses a lot of public sources for their images. If you did the same you can bypass the Google confusion.

I have seen pics online of people putting these images on their Garmins, So are they getting them from some other sorce than Google Earth? Its not like Im trying to make a buck or really do much of anything other than wanting to put a nice aerial shot of a couple areas I frequent as an overlay.

RangerR47 :

You need:

1. Program which generates OziExplorer satellite files for your area .

2. OziMapToKMZ - generates .kmz files for Colorado.

Try GoogleMV + OziMapToKMZ .

For Poland I use ZumiBuddy - simple and easy.

ZumiBuddy + OziMapToKMZ = Aerial image in 1-2 minutes in my GPSR.

zakola1.jpgzakola1.jpg

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0

Thanks for the suggestions, it appears you really cant use GoogleMV anymore as Google is blocking attempts to get the maps now, figures....It did look like that would be exactly what I was looking for something that would grab a map and break it up for you so it wasnt just 1 big one. I have been trying to use the seemless usgs servers and they have what I need for maps, but looks like I can only get 1 big file and for some of the city 1ft views they are huge in size and needless to say, not working on the Colorado. Heck I barely got any work done yesterday as I messed with trying to do this most of the day...

It is simple.

1. Download GoogleMV. Read readme.txt in catalogue. Open GoogleMV.

2. Set English language, I present it on screenshot, because program first time opens in something I can't understand.

googlemv1.jpg

3. Copy/paste last settings in these fields:

googlemv2.jpg

New Links :

Satellite : http://khm.google.com/kh/v=44&hl=en&x=

Hybrid : http://mt.google.com/vt/v=w2t.106&hl=en&x=

Map : http://mt.google.com/vt/v=w2.106&hl=en&x=

Terrain : http://mt.google.com/vt/v=w2p.106&hl=en&x=

4. In satellite view set borders of area for download, set zoom, you see dimensions in pixels. (Remember - no more than 10000 x 10000).

googlemv3.jpg

5. Press Start. Set Catalogue, name of files. You have information about progress of downloading. At the end you have one .map, and one .jpg (or .png) file.

6. Open OziMapToKMZ, select english (last in list).

ozitokmz.jpg

7. Find a Map File - and open downloaded .map file.

8. Set name of target KMZ. (Don't use dashes, space, etc.)

9. Select "Copy resulting KMZ here", and select catalogue.

10. Select number of rows and columns.

11. select Draw order.

12. Tap "Split map into smaller pieces".

13. After 10-15 seconds procedure in finished.

14. Copy .kmz file to your Colorado.

15. Good luck.

Sometimes Google stops your IP access for a day, so don't download all the World at once, it is for your private use. Use settings as above.

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0