Garmin Oregon 550 backlight

gpsgeology

Just got my new Oregon 550.

I put the included batteries on the charger, and loaded two Energizer Alkaline batteries and set off down the trail.

I noticed that I was getting a message that stated the backlight would not work because my batteries were too low.

I could set the backlight at the highest level, but it would not display that level, I think, due to above message.

I have not had a chance to run it with the NiMH included batteries, but should the display on the Oregon be about as readable as the 60csx in full sunlight?

Regards

Steve.

Edited by gpsgeology

The touchscreen on the Oregon is many times dimmer than the 60CSx. Many users report that the Oregon is nearly unuseable without the backlight. I can see it well enough in most brightly lit areas but it is much better with the backlight.

As for the message - make sure your unit is set to Alkaline when using those and NIMh when using those - or you will get faulty messages.

The touchscreen on the Oregon is many times dimmer than the 60CSx. Many users report that the Oregon is nearly unuseable without the backlight. I can see it well enough in most brightly lit areas but it is much better with the backlight.

As for the message - make sure your unit is set to Alkaline when using those and NIMh when using those - or you will get faulty messages.

Star,

I had put the gps on alkaline setting.

I will retest everything with the NiMH batteries soon.

I can attest the 550 is virtually unusable in sunlight without backlight.

Again, subject to testing, but it Freaking amazes me that Garmin can put out the 550 with a screen so substandard to the one on the "old" 60csx. Is that the price we pay for touchscreen???

Disappointed in Houston,

Steve.

.... but it Freaking amazes me that Garmin can put out the 550 with a screen so substandard to the one on the "old" 60csx. Is that the price we pay for touchscreen???

Disappointed in Houston,

Steve.

Yup - some aerospace engineers dropped by the forums once to explain that touchscreens are by thier very nature much dimmer than other types of displays. Add to that the high resolution of the Oregon screen (another factor that makes it a bit dimmer) and you can see what you get. I'll see if I can find thier posts......

Again, subject to testing, but it Freaking amazes me that Garmin can put out the 550 with a screen so substandard to the one on the "old" 60csx. Is that the price we pay for touchscreen???

Disappointed in Houston,

Steve.

No, it's the price you pay for both a higher definition screen, and a touch-screen.

The higher the pixel density, the less effective a transflective screen is in direct sunlight. Knock off another 10 to 20 percent of brightness for the multiple layers of the resistive touch-screen, and there you are.

Still not disappointed in my 60CSx in Dallas, :)

Prime

I REALLY don't understand why this pops up now and then.

Oregons screens ARE VERY READABLE in sunlight, the more light the better readable, backlight is totally unnecessary in the sun, only in darker places, or the shadow.

The fact that very often these complains always talk about use of backlight in the sun, makes me wonder.

Oregons screens ARE VERY READABLE in sunlight, the more light the better readable, backlight is totally unnecessary in the sun, only in darker places, or the shadow.

The fact that very often these complains always talk about use of backlight in the sun, makes me wonder.

Even Garmin has acknowledged that the problem exists.

Yes,........... if you can turn and tilt to get the screen in the best viewable position. Generally not too big of a problem while using GPS functions.

However, just try to aim and frame a pic in some other direction (than the above viewable direction). Quite often, that is an impossible task due to the screen being totally unreadable while pointed in the direction you need to, to take a picture. Requires screen and/or eyes to be shaded by hat or hand held shield of some type.

A real PITB.

Turn the terrain shading off. Once you have a white background, the displays are easy to see. Most of the problem is due to the dark colouration of the shading scheme.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc7

Red,

Good tip. Can't wait to try it.

To the others, I am glad that the screen visibility issue is recogized, and it was just not me. I think the 60csx is much easier to read all the time.

Have a good day.

steve.

In anything other than bright sunlight the screen is useless. You look like those people trying to get a good cell signal. I got so tired of that plus the lack of WAAS and the well mentioned arrow stick that I upgraded to a Colorado and it is much better. The screen still isn't as good as the 60 but the other two problem go away. I got tired of my two friends with Colorados walking up to a cache under cover while I was wondering in far reaching circles.

In anything other than bright sunlight the screen is useless. You look like those people trying to get a good cell signal. I got so tired of that plus the lack of WAAS and the well mentioned arrow stick that I upgraded to a Colorado and it is much better. The screen still isn't as good as the 60 but the other two problem go away. I got tired of my two friends with Colorados walking up to a cache under cover while I was wondering in far reaching circles.

Backlight + screen is fine in all conditions. Accuracy is also fine for geocaching, I've never experienced your "circles". I find the speed of the touchscreen far outweighs the necessarily reduced brightness of the screen.

Backlight + screen is fine in all conditions. Accuracy is also fine for geocaching, I've never experienced your "circles". I find the speed of the touchscreen far outweighs the necessarily reduced brightness of the screen.

"necessarily" reduced brightness ????? Not So.

Why are the touch screen Nuvi's not "sorry" like the Oregons?

"fine" in all bright conditions ?????? Not So.

Taking pictures in bright sunlight conditions, where the user must keep the screen pointed at the subject thereby preventing twisting and turning to get it in a viewable position, quite often the screen becomes totally useless. You then understand why "they" call the cheapo cameras "point and shoot" ........really it should be "point and hope".

Edited by Grasscatcher

Taking pictures in bright sunlight conditions, where the user must keep the screen pointed at the subject thereby preventing twisting and turning to get it in a viewable position, quite often the screen becomes totally useless. You then understand why "they" call the cheapo cameras "point and shoot" ........really it should be "point and hope".

The Nuvis are much brighter than the Oregons when under **battery** power?

I would hope that people don't rely on the GPS camera for high quality shots. It's finefor what it is, a point and click geotagging device.

The Nuvis are much brighter than the Oregons when under **battery** power?

I would hope that people don't rely on the GPS camera for high quality shots. It's fine for what it is, a point and click geotagging device.

My Nuvi 660 actually becomes brighter when I disconnect it from USB ! Perfectly visible

My point is, quite often, the user cannot even see what the camera is being pointed at! Some directions you absolutely cannot see ANYTHING on the screen.

If it works for you, fine.

For me, I think Garmin has already proven in their Nuvi that there is better technology out there and I'll wait until they incorporate it in a new model.

Maybe also by then they will change chipsets and antenna type to get rid of the WAAS problems and tracklogging problems.

My Nuvi 660 actually becomes brighter when I disconnect it from USB ! Perfectly visible

With 2-3 hours of battery life, sure, and a non-interchangeable battery. Apples and oranges. For an outdoors unit like the Oregons, the dim touchscreen is a necessity for now. I wish it weren't so, but i'm more than happy with having the backlight on and still getting many more hours on standard AAs.

The unit is fine with regard to accuracy, as is the PN-40 and other units that share this chipset. Its certainly far more than adequate for caching. WAAS lock is poor (under cover when it affects accuracy by search-cycling) admittedly, but again..for caching... no honest need for it.

Touch screen brightness and visibility in sunlight with only "onboard" battery power is not Apples & Oranges.

Where Apples and Oranges comes in is when you talk about the screen being acceptable with backlight on (which I agree with) and the "subject" is..... the non visibility of the screen in camera mode in bright sunlight conditions.........where the backlight doesn't even work.....

try turning your backlight on in Camera mode..........

I guess I'm going to have to backup maingray 100% on this one. I've had my Oregon 300 for over a year now. I don't understand all the whining about the screen. :huh: The only time I use the backlight is if I go to the description page. Other than that no backlight. Just a matter of holding it at the right angle and its fine. As far as going around in circles? The only problem I can ever say I had was after I loaded Beta version 3.15. My compass would lock up for about 90 seconds in auto mode. Upgraded to ver3.2 alls good again. Almost everyone I cache with is using a 60csx well guess what we're stepping on each others toes looking for the cache. After the software updates I would have to say the Oregon is at least as accurate as the legendary 60 csx. After all is said and done the Oregon is my go to. Love the touchscreen and paperless. The 60csx makes a nice back up or loaner. I hear garmin enhanced the screen brightness on the 550 series. Great. When the 300 dies its definitely going to be another Oregon or its equivelant for me. :(