Black Friday Sales for DeLorme PN-30?

Darkthor

When I read gunguy&fam's post I was sure he had made a mistake and was talking about the price for the Delorme PN-30 and not the PN-40. I'm happy to say I was wrong and he is correct. That is one awesome deal for a PN-40! A few months ago I was tickled to get my PN-40 for $300 on sale and since then the lowest price I'd seen them was about $269.

Should you jump on that deal immediately? For the following reason I would. My thought process would be this is the lowest price in quite a while (maybe lowest ever, but I don't know that for a fact) and I'd be afraid to hold out for a better price and then to find out I missed out on this great deal hoping to save $20 or $30. If Amazon.com still has the option to get it with free 2 day air shipping that would be another incentive to consider buying at this current price point.

Keep in mind though that everything above is how my thought process would work and obviously yours may vary. In a few days the price may go down further or it may climb higher. I have no insider knowledge so your guess is as good as mine and quite possibly even better.

Good luck on your search for the deal of the year on a Delorme PN-40. It's an awesome geocaching machine and I'm sure you'll love it when you get one. Happy caching!!!!! :(

I just noticed that it is not Amazon.com that is selling the PN-40 at the great price, but it is one of the vendors on thier site. So therefore it would not be eligible for the free 2nd day air shipping that Amazon.com had offered in the past and that I mentioned in my earlier post. :( It's still an awesome price though!!!

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

I Assume the actual PN-40 unit is the same, but I want something to use more for waterway navigation.

So I assume I may be better off with a PN-40 that comes with the Navionincs Charts ?

How many different iterations so f the Navionics Charts are there ?

And do any other Charts work with the PN-40 ?

I have a 76CSx and an Oregon 400. Even thought the 400 is a much more advanced unit, you can't manipulate the charts using MapSource like you can wiht the 76CSx and the old regular Bluecharts, so I am looking for something new and differrent.

Can you look at and plan routes or layout a course on a PC and then load it to the Pn-40 ?

Thanks

*** I just picked up the PN-40 with the Topo Maps for $199 w/free sipping from Amazon. ***

Edited by pratzert

Thanks everyone for the advice. The $200 Amazon price on the Delorme PN-40 is certainly attractive.

I'm currently debating between that and the Garmin Oregon 300 for $250 at REI. The main incentive for the latter at this point is REI's return policy. I like the security of being able to return the unit at any point if I decide I'm not happy with it, but I need to do more research on the unit itself.

Thanks again!

I Assume the actual PN-40 unit is the same, but I want something to use more for waterway navigation.

So I assume I may be better off with a PN-40 that comes with the Navionincs Charts ?

How many different iterations so f the Navionics Charts are there ?

And do any other Charts work with the PN-40 ?

I have a 76CSx and an Oregon 400. Even thought the 400 is a much more advanced unit, you can't manipulate the charts using MapSource like you can wiht the 76CSx and the old regular Bluecharts, so I am looking for something new and differrent.

Can you look at and plan routes or layout a course on a PC and then load it to the Pn-40 ?

Thanks

*** I just picked up the PN-40 with the Topo Maps for $199 w/free sipping from Amazon. ***

Anything pertaining to Navionics you might want to call the Navionics customer service. I don't imagine too many folks have had much chance to get the memory chip with it installed or the disc to install on the software.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The $200 Amazon price on the Delorme PN-40 is certainly attractive.

I'm currently debating between that and the Garmin Oregon 300 for $250 at REI. The main incentive for the latter at this point is REI's return policy. I like the security of being able to return the unit at any point if I decide I'm not happy with it, but I need to do more research on the unit itself.

Thanks again!

As long as you buy from an authorized retailer (Amazon is) Delorme has a 30 day "no questions asked" return policy.

Hmmm, after doing some goodle searches about the PN-40, I learned that DeLorme makes as "SE" version which has about 8GB of installed memory.

But it can only be purchased directly from DeLorme and no other retail outlets.

That means it going to demand top dollar......

And Delorme only has a limited number of those left. Unless things have changed, once those are gone there won't be anymore made (according to Delorme's own folks on the Delorme forums). I doubt you'll see Delorme lower it's price.

Edited by Pax42

Hmmm, after doing some goodle searches about the PN-40, I learned that DeLorme makes as "SE" version which has about 8GB of installed memory.

And Delorme only has a limited number of those left. Unless things have changed, once those are gone there won't be anymore made (according to Delorme's own folks on the Delorme forums). I doubt you'll see Delorme lower it's price.

I wonder why they won't make any more of them ? Poor sales ? New version coming ?

I have seen a few ads from people selling their SE's, but I still wonder if the cost differential is worth it... especially considering you can get the PN-40 (regular) for $200 right now off Amazon.

As a side note.... I think COSTCO has the Oregon 400t on sale right now for $350 and includes shipping.

And that's a good deal too.

But I like the greater maps availability, particularly charts, for the DeLorme units.

Edited by pratzert

Thanks again!

As long as you buy from an authorized retailer (Amazon is) Delorme has a 30 day "no questions asked" return policy.

If you buy from Amazon and you do not like it, you just need to put NOT AS DESCIBED and they will pay for the shipping back to them. So if within 30 days you have nothing to lose.

I wonder why they won't make any more of them ? Poor sales ? New version coming ?

I have seen a few ads from people selling their SE's, but I still wonder if the cost differential is worth it... especially considering you can get the PN-40 (regular) for $200 right now off Amazon.

As a side note.... I think COSTCO has the Oregon 400t on sale right now for $350 and includes shipping.

But I like the greater maps availability, particularly charts, for the DeLorme units.

I believe the reason for limited availability was that Delorme had a limited number of the memory chips and made the decision to use those for the base PN40 (I may be mistaken).

The main advantage of the SE is this:

Currently you can use Navionics SD card lake chart maps with the 40. There may be additional types of maps available on SD in the future. This means you would have to rely on internal memory for any other personal maps you need while the SD slot is being used for those custom maps. 7.5GB can cover those needs much better than .5GB.

I believe the reason for limited availability was that Delorme had a limited number of the memory chips and made the decision to use those for the base PN40 (I may be mistaken).

The main advantage of the SE is this:

Currently you can use Navionics SD card lake chart maps with the 40. There may be additional types of maps available on SD in the future. This means you would have to rely on internal memory for any other personal maps you need while the SD slot is being used for those custom maps. 7.5GB can cover those needs much better than .5GB.

This may be stupid, but what about all the PN-40 users that have a standard unit? You would think they would come out with DVD's for the other maps so everyone can use them without removing the sd card they have with there maps on.

Thanks

This may be stupid, but what about all the PN-40 users that have a standard unit? You would think they would come out with DVD's for the other maps so everyone can use them without removing the sd card they have with there maps on.

Thanks

That would be up to Navionics. If they felt there was enough profit in selling thier maps on DVDs that could be directly loaded to the internal memory of PNs or loaded to Delorme's TOPO they could do that. Providing maps exclusively on SD seems to be the way the market is going.

Having said that, there soon may be a way to move data back and forth from the PN's SD card to it's internal memory :) . Not sure if that would have any effect(?) on how 3rd party SD cards are used or not.

Thanks

That would be up to Navionics. If they felt there was enough profit in selling thier maps on DVDs that could be directly loaded to the internal memory of PNs or loaded to Delorme's TOPO they could do that. Providing maps exclusively on SD seems to be the way the market is going.

Having said that, there soon may be a way to move data back and forth from the PN's SD card to it's internal memory :) . Not sure if that would have any effect(?) on how 3rd party SD cards are used or not.

Thanks

My guess is that they a finite sized batch made (in China, of course) which has been delivered to them and that they are not planning on ordering another.

But, that is just my speculation.

If one is loooking at the dollars of buying the std PN-40 and a 16GB SDHC card as compared to an SE model and a 8GB card,

such that we have an equivalent amount of storage,

the cost wise alternative is obvious.

On the other hand, comments of satisfaction from most of those with the SE version indicate a positive selection result.

Most of those get the 16GB card anyway with some SE owners using a 32GB SDHC card.

However, YGBMV.

Thanks

Does anyone know how much the sd card is? I am in Wisconsin.

Thanks

Thanks

Does anyone know how much the sd card is? I am in Wisconsin.

Thanks

I haven't purchased them but I know Bass Pro and Cabela's sell them. Each card covers a different region of the country. You'd want to find the one that covers your area. You also have to make sure you get the Navionics cards that specifically work with the PN's and I believe those are the Hotmaps Premium Lake Charts and Gold Marine Charts. Some sellers are selling a Navioncs/PN bundle with the Navionics Hotmaps explorer DVD but that DVD only works on the PC and doesn't allow for map downloading to the PN.

Has anyone heard of any upcoming Black Friday sales on the DeLorme PN-30 or PN-40? I was considering getting this GPSr.

Thanks!

I bought the Oregon 300 from REI for $399. About a week later I got the Winter Sale catalog which had the Oregon 300 for $249. I called REI and they said they would be most happy to make the price adjustment (and they did). I love buying from REI! :D

Now about the Oregon 300. I had a Vista Hcx which I dearly loved. However, it met with a bad accident (got run over by a car - a very sad story). :) Anyway, I love the Oregon 300. It's touch screen is easy to use. The format is very intuitive. It's accurate (supposedly has the same platform as the PN 40). Paperless caching is super good, and it's a snap to download caches. It's so neat to be able to pan the map by simply dragging your finger across the screen. Setup is very easy, and the ability to have different profiles is super. The only negative is screen brightness, and I must admit I do wish it were brighter. However, I'm learning to adjust and manage. While I wish it were brighter it certainly isn't a deal killer. I suggest you go into your nearest REI store and look and handle the various units. On this forum you will find folks that love their Garmins and those that love their DeLorme's. No right or wrong...You just have to determine which unit "fits" you. One thing for sure, which ever unit you buy you won't go wrong if you buy it from REI. Their 100% satisfaction guaranttee is unbeatable.

OldA'sFan

Besides the Oregon 400t at Costco for $350, I got a sales mailer flyer from West Marine ( Boat/US ) and they have a sale on the Oregon 400c for $299.

The differences are that the 400t comes with the TOPO maps preloaded on it and the 400c has the g2 Bluecharts pre-loaded on it for the boaters.

Another difference is that the 400t has more factory installed memory as the 400c andor the 400i.

But these both look pretty good to me.... if I didn;t already have the 400, I'd jump on one or the other.

I bought my PN-40 on Amazon for $239 including shipping on Thursday the 27th. Saturday it dropped to $199. Both prices are direct from Amazon and not one of the associated retailers. Mine's already in the mail but hasn't arrived yet.

I'm wondering if I can get the difference refunded? Anyone have any experience in this area? One of my friends told me it was possible, but they can't seem to come up with any specifics. I've poked around Amazon looking for some sort of "price guarantee" but so far no luck.

Not really complaining here, $239 is still a pretty good price. But if I can get the $40 back it will pay for the rechargeable battery kit.

I bought my PN-40 on Amazon for $239 including shipping on Thursday the 27th. Saturday it dropped to $199. Both prices are direct from Amazon and not one of the associated retailers. Mine's already in the mail but hasn't arrived yet.

I'm wondering if I can get the difference refunded? Anyone have any experience in this area? One of my friends told me it was possible, but they can't seem to come up with any specifics. I've poked around Amazon looking for some sort of "price guarantee" but so far no luck.

Not really complaining here, $239 is still a pretty good price. But if I can get the $40 back it will pay for the rechargeable battery kit.

I had the same problem, I bought mine about the same time you did. I contacted Amazon the day I saw it dropped, and they told me that JR Electornics was the actual seller on my transaction and that I needed to contact them. I was able to do so through Amazon, and within 24 hours I got an email from them and they credited my account $40.

Now I can't wait for the thing to get here, supposed to be here tomorrow!

I tried it with Amazon awhile back and was told to send it back and rebuy it. I do not know if this is still the way they do it. JR Electornics will do it.

Thanks