Maps on your oregon (or Colorado)

keehotee

The latest full release (not beta) software update for Garmin Oregon and Colorado GPS's is now out, and includes custom mapping. So basically, if you can screen-cap or scan a map, you can now load it on your GPS.

More details are here.

I've just tried out a small lump of 1:25k screen cap'd from memory Map, and it works a treat :P;)

The latest full release (not beta) software update for Garmin Oregon and Colorado GPS's is now out, and includes custom mapping. So basically, if you can screen-cap or scan a map, you can now load it on your GPS.

More details are here.

I've just tried out a small lump of 1:25k screen cap'd from memory Map, and it works a treat :P;)

I strongly suggest NOT downloading the latest Colorado 3.10 firmware if you use any of the Garmin Discoverer maps (the OS ones). The GPS map image screen becomes corrupt and the unit crashes! The previous non-beta firmware 3.00 is the only stable release I've found for this.

Jon.

More details are here.

Hmm, I must be doing something wrong. I've generated a map and sent it to the device but it doesn't show.

I can't find any reference to custom maps in the map setup screen, it just lists the built in maps and the Discoverer 50000 maps. I've used WebUpdater and it says I've got the latest software already installed. Not sure what to try next.

Rgds, Andy

More details are here.

I strongly suggest NOT downloading the latest Colorado 3.10 firmware if you use any of the Garmin Discoverer maps (the OS ones). The GPS map image screen becomes corrupt and the unit crashes! The previous non-beta firmware 3.00 is the only stable release I've found for this.

Jon.

I tried the latest software, and while it did speed up screen refreshes when zooming in and out, I found the lack of popups for geocache names and the huge pink track log to be a PITA... So I reverted to an older version.. 3.00Beta.. I only use garmin Topo or OSM (talkytoaster) maps, but these 2 "bugs" have put me off!!

edit to add... Just did another update on my Colorado to 3.10.. All is now good! The bugs mentioned earlier seem to have been fixed.

Edited by PSHAX

More details are here.

Jon.

I tried the latest software, and while it did speed up screen refreshes when zooming in and out, I found the lack of popups for geocache names and the huge pink track log to be a PITA... So I reverted to an older version.. 3.00Beta.. I only use garmin Topo or OSM (talkytoaster) maps, but these 2 "bugs" have put me off!!

Was that the beta that was out a month or so ago (2.51?) - or the full release 2.60 that came out in the last few days? I know people had issues such as the thick pink tracklog and random crashes with it.

2.60 track log is the usual thin black line, and cache pop-ups haven't changed either :laughing:

OS Discoverer refresh rate is far better too...

Oh- this is on an Oregon 550 - all models have new software (AFAIK) but release numbers will vary.

Edited by keehotee

Version 3.00 was a full release, the beta was 3.02 :P . The pink track log and lack of pop ups have been dealt with in 3.10. I use talkytoaster's maps and have no issues with 3.10. ;)

Hmm, I must be doing something wrong. I've generated a map and sent it to the device but it doesn't show.

I can't find any reference to custom maps in the map setup screen, it just lists the built in maps and the Discoverer 50000 maps. I've used WebUpdater and it says I've got the latest software already installed. Not sure what to try next.

Rgds, Andy

Andy,

Each jpeg has to be less than 3mb or it will not display.

Did you create a sub folder called "Custom Maps" in the "Garmin" folder? (Unit or card)

It's worth checking out the Garmin Customer Maps developer forum for more info.

Rgds, Andy

Andy,

Each jpeg has to be less than 3mb or it will not display.

Did you create a sub folder called "Custom Maps" in the "Garmin" folder? (Unit or card)

It's worth checking out the Garmin Customer Maps developer forum for more info.

Thanks for that, I had already found that the reason my first attempt failed was that my map was much too big. I created a smaller one, which was listed on the enable maps page, but it still didn't display on the map screen. I tried disabling all the other maps in case it was a layer problem, but that didn't help. At that point I went to bed, and the next day I was out caching, so I haven't pursued it further yet, but I will.

The 3Mb limit is a bit of a bummer, as is the choice of JPEG for the format.

Rgds, Andy

How do u save bits of mm to play with ?

Screen capture (print screen), then crop and save as jpeg using Paint, or PSP, or photoshop - or whatever you use.

Or use Map/Image Export, as that allows you to export a larger area at full resolution. Still have to import into a graphics app to convert from BMP to JPG though.

Rgds, Andy

Great link Keehotee - many thanks.

Provided you have already bought the paper map of the area you are interested in does that mean you are not breaking copyright by using Streetmap at 50K or 25K (example) and performing a screen dump to a jpeg?

I believe that the licence on OS maps (paper/Memory Map/Anquet/Tracklogs) allows you to make copies for your own personal, non-commercial, use - so if you own a paper copy, I don't see how using a screen cap from an online version of the same map breaks copyright.

But I could be wrong. Can anybody clarify this?

Could it be possible the limitations set by the garmin app are related to the size limit of the free OS map you can print/copy etc?

see here : Free OS

Garmin Custom Maps are limited to 3mb, and I think you can load 20 of them at a time.... so I don't think it has anything to do with that particular OS site. Add to that that the UK is only a tiny part of Garmin's market, and I think it's probably more to do with their code and desire to sell bigger maps for their GPS's

Garmin Custom Maps are limited to 3mb, and I think you can load 20 of them at a time.... so I don't think it has anything to do with that particular OS site. Add to that that the UK is only a tiny part of Garmin's market, and I think it's probably more to do with their code and desire to sell bigger maps for their GPS's

Agreed. You can load up to 100, but they are limited to 3MB as you say, and also limited to 1MPixel, e.g. 1024x 1024 pixels, before they quality is intentionally degraded. So basically just very small areas indeed, and IMHO at that size not worth the bother of producing :) . Shame, I had high hopes of it.

Rgds, Andy

Agreed. You can load up to 100, but they are limited to 3MB as you say, and also limited to 1MPixel, e.g. 1024x 1024 pixels, before they quality is intentionally degraded. So basically just very small areas indeed, and IMHO at that size not worth the bother of producing :) . Shame, I had high hopes of it.

Rgds, Andy

I don't think you're being very fair to them.

I've just spent half an hour tinkering, and now have a strip of 1:25k 15 km long and 4 wide covering the area I want to put a small series in, on 6 tiles.

Resolution is better than the 1:50k Discoverer I've got loaded, and when I've finished with them for now I'll just back them up and delete them from the Oregon until I need them again....

Fair enough - they're not going to be much use for spur of the moment large area mapping - but if you're going somewhere specific I think they'll be invaluable.

They're also great for adding old (1890) maps :D;)

Edited by keehotee
I did say "IMHO". For what I had hoped to use them for, i.e. large area, largeish scale maps) they are of no benefit.

I can see that it was probably an unrealistic hope in the first place, as it would risk impacting their map sales, it's just that the announcement I saw made no reference to such very restrictive limitations.

Rgds, Andy

I did say "IMHO". For what I had hoped to use them for, i.e. large area, largeish scale maps) they are of no benefit.

I can see that it was probably an unrealistic hope in the first place, as it would risk impacting their map sales, it's just that the announcement I saw made no reference to such very restrictive limitations.

Rgds, Andy

I would have thought that the free Open Street Maps (Talky Toaster) would have a greater impact on Garmins map sales. Free and useable is a better bargain than £bloody expensive and fuzzy when zoomed!!

Rgds, Andy

I would have thought that the free Open Street Maps (Talky Toaster) would have a greater impact on Garmins map sales. Free and useable is a better bargain than £bloody expensive and fuzzy when zoomed!!

That's not a fair comparison with respect to the fuzziness... Fuzziness occurs on the Bitmap images, of which the Open Street maps are not. You can try comparing Vectors maps like Garmin's TOPO to the Open Street if you wish. Neither suffer from fuzziness when zoomed.

J

I have great hopes and best wishes for the OSM stuff, but when I tried them on my eTrex some months ago the results were very variable. Some areas were covered pretty comprehensively, far better than Garmin Topo, but others showed huge areas of nothing whatsoever. While the 50,000 OS maps are nothing like as good as the 25,000 maps I'm used to, and do get very fuzzy on the Oregon when zoomed in, they don't suffer from significant gaps in the coverage :) .

And when I looked at them, the OSM maps didn't do routing - I don't know if they do now.

Maybe it's time for another look at them on the Oregon.

Mind you, the all Europe vector maps supplied on the Oregon 550t are already considerably better than GB Topo.

Rgds, Andy

I use both Garmin Topo and the OSM freebies, and the free maps are definitely better, and continuing to evolve into a decent download.. Garmin seem to have stopped updating the Topo maps aeons ago, whereas OSM get added to all the time.

I supose it's all a personal choice.. I prefer the vector based mapping of OSM / Topo to the raster based OS maps available, but having said that, I'll be doing a load of screen grabs from Bing maps at work, and importing them into my Colorado!!!

I use both Garmin Topo and the OSM freebies, and the free maps are definitely better, and continuing to evolve into a decent download.. Garmin seem to have stopped updating the Topo maps aeons ago, whereas OSM get added to all the time.

I supose it's all a personal choice.. I prefer the vector based mapping of OSM / Topo to the raster based OS maps available, but having said that, I'll be doing a load of screen grabs from Bing maps at work, and importing them into my Colorado!!!

I suppose you don't know if they route yet, do you? That's crucial for me, as it also serves as a SatNav for the motor-bike.

Rgds, Andy

I suppose you don't know if they route yet, do you? That's crucial for me, as it also serves as a SatNav for the motor-bike.

Rgds, Andy

Yes, they do.

Yes, they do.
Thanks, I will look at them again,

Rgds, Andy

To bring this up to date, I've now used the OSM maps for routing, but the quality of the routes was lower than using Garmin maps, and the first time I used them it tried to take me the wrong way up a one way street.

My opinion - better than nothing, and likely to improve with time, but at this point the Garmin maps remain worth the extra.

Rgds, Andy

For those who want aerial photos this program I've hacked together might help. I don't have a Garmin GPS to actually try the results on. GarminBingMaps.zip -- requires .Net 2.0 to run.

Extract the zip to folder, run the bingmaps.exe

Select the zoom level in the drop down, higher numbers zoom in further.

The size you probably need to leave alone, the 2048x2048 was for something else.

Enter the latitude and longitude as decimal degrees, the default values are near where I live and show the format required.

Select/deselect the types you want.

Click the grab map button, the top of the window will fill in as the tiles are grabbed.

In the folder where you extracted there should now exist a maps folder, which will contain the kmz files.

From the wiki pages and comments in this formum, I believe the resultant kmz files are of the correct format for the Garmin GPS units.

If it works fine, you will need to delete the cache folder every so often as it will keep filling it with no limit.

The source code is in the zip file if anyone wants to play around with it.

The OSM's are really good for areas with little OS mapping available for download (Ive used them for the Channel Islands, Malta, New York etc). I've just found that the Xapi feature will permit you to export a huge area from the OSM to the Garmin, it take a little time but I have now downloaded city wide maps for places abroad I expect to visit.

It is a simple matter of dragging it onto the SD card before you go.

The new map feature for the Garmins is pretty good for small areas as has been said, much better resolution than the GB OS mapping.

For those who want aerial photos this program I've hacked together might help. I don't have a Garmin GPS to actually try the results on. GarminBingMaps.zip -- requires .Net 2.0 to run.

The size you probably need to leave alone, the 2048x2048 was for something else.

Enter the latitude and longitude as decimal degrees, the default values are near where I live and show the format required.

Click the grab map button, the top of the window will fill in as the tiles are grabbed.

In the folder where you extracted there should now exist a maps folder, which will contain the kmz files.

From the wiki pages and comments in this formum, I believe the resultant kmz files are of the correct format for the Garmin GPS units.

If it works fine, you will need to delete the cache folder every so often as it will keep filling it with no limit.

Tried on a Colorado and it works perfectly! It's so much easier, (and accurate), than the method I used to map Dartmoor which has taken me weeks to complete :)

Nice one, thank you.

Works on my Oregon 550t and, as they say on the TV advert, simples!

Works on my Oregon 550t and, as they say on the TV advert, simples!

Easy as it sounds I am impressed, only issue I discovered if GPS is set to Garmin SPanner it does not like turning on with USB cable plugged GPS crashes. Put it back to serial mode no problem...

Just have to rename folder or delte it if I want to use spanner I guess....

Now who has whereof the UK on KMZ :rolleyes:

I have been using this program to generate os maps for my new Xmas pressie and they work a treat. Thanks very much for publishing this program to help us all ;) . I have had a little look at the source and if I have time might make a couple of changes to generate an area of maps automatically e.g. 5x5 square based on a centre point and allow the map name to be entered.

Cheers

Lodgebarn

I fully agree with you odgebarn - Madproforg has done a great job with this many thanks Madproforg :) .

If you make the amendments you suggest I'd love to have a copy of the end result please. Scripts mean nothing to me and I've found aligning tiles difficult to build larger maps.

Certainly will if I find the time to do it. In the meantime for Zoom 16 (1:25000) I can get a good result by setting the coordinate values to 3 decimal places and modifying by 0.022 for East West and 0.013 for North South. Hope this helps :).

Edited by lodgebarn

I've update the program to allow for more flexibility. Read the README.txt in the zip for setting the options for Garmin usable output.

Originally the program was for getting some map tiles into QGIS & PathAway on the Palm, but I got a little carried away with the output formats.

GarminBingMaps.zip

Truly AWESOME Madproforg, well done and many, many thanks. What with TalkyToaster's OSM maps and this gem of a little programme it has taken my new Oregon to a new level :rolleyes::P:) - who meeds expensive Garmin maps.

Hi.

Firstly, thank you Madproforg for producing this application! :blink:

I think I found a small problem with GarminBingMaps (GBM) or probably with my model of GPS unit.

Essentially, it seems to be something to do with the way the .KML file, the “Files” directory & .JPG images are compressed into the .KMZ file that causes the maps not to be available on the GPS unit (or possibly how the unit is decompressing the .KMZ file).

Using the recommended defaults for GBM I created a KMZ file and transferred it to my GPS (internal memory, correct directory). When viewing available maps on the device, the map was not available.

If I take the KMZ file, decompress it using 7zip (ver 4.65), recompress it using Winzip (ver 9 sr1 Licensed version) to a .zip extension using “Normal” compression method, then rename the resultant .ZIP file to a .KMZ extension, transfer it to the GPS (as before), then the map becomes available. Note, the file name is as produced by GBM and the recompression is done via the Winzip user interface.

The “broken” and “repaired” .KMZ files open OK in Google Earth (GE).

If I take the “broken” .KMZ” file, open it in GE (making no changes) and then save it as a .KMZ, then this file will also work on the GPS.

The behaviour was exhibited on 2 machines - Windows XP pro sp3.

Oddly, when attempting to “fix” the file with the current version of Winzip (v14 Eval version), when choosing legacy support compression options, the operation was unsuccessful in terms of the map was not available on the unit.

I also tried using the WinZip command line tool (ver 1.1 I think) to allow me to ‘batch up’ the recompressions. Initially, I was not able to get the maps to work – Where possible, I ensured the same compression & other options were used in the command line interface as the interactive interface. However I found that if I moved the .JPG file from the “files” directory and then manually amended the relevant tag in the .KML that refers to the .JPG file location then, after compressing to a .ZIP and renaming to a .KMZ file, the maps would work (from which it seems the handling of the “files” directory seems an issue).

After a day of pondering I think the issue is either me being a bit thick (often & usual) or relates to how the Dakota is decompressing the .KMZ file but I thought I would raise it in case it’s not just me having problems.

The GPS is a Garmin Dakota 20 - Software version 2.70 – GPS software version 3.70, Position Format British Grid

The files are transferred using Windows Explorer; presumably the GPS is acting as a mass storage device.

I can supply example files if required.

Chris

Edited by baronvonp7