Fix Lightbox or get rid of it.

fizzymagic

OK, I am really annoyed. I am working on a puzzle cache that has an image attached to the cache that is required to solve the puzzle. There is no easy way to save that image to my disk, because the Lightbox display script won't let me. The CO didn't display the image on the page itself; you just have to get it via the link at the end of the listing. The poorly-written Javascript actually intercepts a right-click and prevents you from copying the link location. I've had to resort to hand-inspecting the page HTML code to get it.

It's bad enough that the Lightbox image display script is an unbelievably bad user interface (try using the back button when viewing an image to see how it doesn't work like it ought to), but now it is preventing me from using the site!

Could we please have some way to disable the stupid Lightbox thing? Please?

ETA: I figured out another way past it. Disable Javascript. Still needs to be fixed.

Another workaround is to right-click on the link, then copy the link URL to the clipboard, then paste the URL into a new tab/window.

I'm sorry. I thought I was clear. Lightbox captures the right click and displays the image on Firefox. Right-clicking does not bring up a context menu.

Another workaround is to right-click on the link, then copy the link URL to the clipboard, then paste the URL into a new tab/window.

I'm sorry. I thought I was clear. Lightbox captures the right click and displays the image on Firefox. Right-clicking does not bring up a context menu.

FWIW using Chrome under WinXP right-click works fine for me on any link in the cache pages. I get a menu that includes Save Link As... and Copy Link Location. However, I've just tried using FF3 and get the behaviour you describe. So it seems browser-specific and perhaps all you need to do is change your browser from Firefox to Chrome.

HTH,

Geoff

Using FF3/Mac, I can right-click the link at the bottom of the cache page, and I get the context menu that includes a Copy Link Location option. (I also get the lightbox in the background, behind the context menu, but the context menu is perfectly usable.)

Turning off JavaScript works too. It's easier to do that with Opera than it is with FF+NoScript.

Try opening the image gallery for the cache (cache page images should be included there), and you can right-click on them until the cows come home.

Did you actually try this before suggesting it?

Clicking on images from the cache page (as opposed to logs) in the gallery takes you back to the cache page, not to the image. Copying the link gives the link to the cache page.

ETA: I went back to the cache in question this morning and verified the complaints above. Right-clicking does not work. Going to the gallery does not work. Only thing that works is turning off Javascript. Granted that this may be an error in FF's Javascript implementation, but the uselessness of Lightbox is present with every browser.

Indeed, my main point is this: Lightbox does not enhance the site in any way.

• It does not make images load faster.
  • It does not include any additional information with the image, like the caption.

Meanwhile, it significantly decreases functionality:

• You can't print images displayed with Lightbox.
  • The back arrow on your browser doesn't behave in the expected manner.
  • You can't save images displayed with Lightbox.
  • You can't zoom and/or pan images displayed with Lightbox.

So why go to the trouble of including all that Javascript just to cripple the site's usability?

Edited by fizzymagic
Try opening the image gallery for the cache (cache page images should be included there), and you can right-click on them until the cows come home.

Yes, I did.

With, and without Greasemonkey enabled.

Try your other right-click.

Apparently you are right-click challenged.

Maybe you should consider getting a new mouse...one that has color-coded buttons.

So why go to the trouble of including all that Javascript just to cripple the site's usability?

Copyright issues? Unfortunately, some people don't want others copying their images and posting them elsewhere.

Then don't put them on the web in the first place, or if you must, put a watermark on.

The WWW has been around for over 15 years. Anyone who still believes that such "protection" at the expense of usability is worthwhile is deluding themselves.

I certainly agree that this is something that needs to be fixed. It is absurdly non-obvious (as evidenced here).

The work-around as I know it is to click on the link “Visit the Gallery” and note the thumbnail(s) there. Do not click on these - that just takes you to the cachepage; instead:

- with Firefox: right-click and select “View Image”. That shows the image in the browser and you can then handle it as needed.

- with Internet Explorer: right-click and select “Save Picture As”. That saves the image to a file and you can then handle that as needed.

Using FF3/Mac, I can right-click the link at the bottom of the cache page, and I get the context menu that includes a Copy Link Location option. (I also get the lightbox in the background, behind the context menu, but the context menu is perfectly usable.)
Another thing I thought of... I've turned off all the "advanced" JavaScript settings that allow JavaScript to muck with the UI.

Firefox > Preferences... > Content > Enable JavaScript > Advanced... > Allow scripts to:

[] Move or resize existing windows

[] Raise or lower windows

[] Disable or replace context menus

[] Hide the status bar

[] Change status bar text

I reported this months ago. It works correctly in IE, but not in Firefox.

I don't know what your going on about, but the "right click", "Save image as" works perfectly for me under Firefox on my XP and my Vista computer.

Right clicking on the Lightbox image in FF 3.5.5 on OS X 10.6.2 allows me to save the image. I don't have any issues with lightbox at all.

Lightbox does add functionality in that it allows you to page through the images posted with a log, it also displays their captions.

You can also click on the "Print Picture" link at the bottom of the lightbox and it will bring up just the image all by itself. I have tested this in Windows XP as well as OS X using Firefox and IE.

Edited by obsidianspider
I've turned off all the "advanced" JavaScript settings that allow JavaScript to muck with the UI.

Yeah, that was it. I had those all turned off in some previous incarnation but somehow it didn't stick through some update somewhere.

Thanks.

I still hate Lightbox, and have turned on the Greasemonkey script to disable it. It's a bad UI, for the reasons I outlined as well as others.

I like the lightbox, but they certainly can get rid of the animation and right click limitations.

As for the backspace to go back, I've done it many a time as task flow as us conditioned for that. A fix for that would be cool.

I think the lightbox is helpful in that it doesn't reload that massive cache page when you go back. Not our fault page GC doesn't use lightweight pages, but we have to put up with it.

I think a good quick compromise would be a new tab or external link icon (Icon_External_Link.png) next to the text link to allow a quick way to see the image by itself.

I think the lightbox is helpful in that it doesn't reload that massive cache page when you go back. Not our fault GC doesn't use lightweight pages, but we have to put up with it.

So there IS an advantage!

Probably easier than trying to re-train everyone on how to view images.

And less painful than a new crop of 'The website is so slow today' threads. :)

I think the lightbox is helpful in that it doesn't reload that massive cache page when you go back. Not our fault GC doesn't use lightweight pages, but we have to put up with it.

Sorry. Thanks for playing, though. I give it about a 3.0.

The reloading advantage doesn't exist if you open the image link in a new tab like most people do.

The reloading advantage doesn't exist if you open the image link in a new tab like most people do.

I've had to train myself to do this over the years on most web pages to avoid the time it takes to reload a page. This was mostly due - years ago - to my dial up connection being slow, but the habit has remained.

I'm not sure if "most people" do this as you suggest.

But it's easy enough to make the image link automatically open a new tab even if clicked normally. I'd much prefer this to the Lightbox software.

I'm with a lot of the people in this thread that have said they liked Lightbox at first, but over time have changed their minds. I haven't had any problems with it, but it's just become more of an annoyance than a useful feature.

You took a survey? Based on your original post, you didn't even know this was possible, but now just about everyone does? :huh:

How did you get that I didn't know this was possible? I always attempt to open images in a new tab.

If you will recall my original post, you will see that Firefox did not allow the right-click context menu (right-clicking launched Lightbox just the same as left-clicking), so the option was not open to me. I have since fixed that using a very nice Greasemonkey script mentioned earlier in this thread.

When you fix Evince to accept single-string coordinates, then you can talk to me about what I do or do not know is possible.

When you fix Evince to accept single-string coordinates, then you can talk to me about what I do or do not know is possible.

There's no reason to be snarky to people as often as you are.

I've changed my mind. Lightbox is suddenly not as annoying as it used to be and I vote they leave it as is.

I can think of something else that's more annoying that I'd like to get rid of though. :)

You took a survey? Based on your original post, you didn't even know this was possible, but now just about everyone does? :)

How did you get that I didn't know this was possible? I always attempt to open images in a new tab.

If you will recall my original post, you will see that Firefox did not allow the right-click context menu (right-clicking launched Lightbox just the same as left-clicking), so the option was not open to me. I have since fixed that using a very nice Greasemonkey script mentioned earlier in this thread.

No context menu or additional script is necessary. Just click the Print Picture link. They provided an easier way to do it than using the context menu.

No context menu or additional script is necessary. Just click the Print Picture link. They provided an easier way to do it than using the context menu.

Today I was using a computer where I had not installed the Greasemonkey script to disable Lightbox. Firefox again, and, as before, the right-click just brought up the Lightbox. No way to avoid.

"No problem," I think to myself. "I'll just use the Print Picture link like Prime Suspect says."

Except I don't see any Print Picture link. Anywhere. Not on the cache page, not on the Lightbox page, nowhere. Now maybe I am an idiot, but could somebody show me this magical Print Picture link I am supposed to use?

FWIW, here is a screen capture of the Lightbox page I see:

Lightbox.jpg

And a screen capture of the cache page:

Lightbox2.jpg

I just can't seem to find that Print Picture link thingy.

Today I was using a computer where I had not installed the Greasemonkey script to disable Lightbox. Firefox again, and, as before, the right-click just brought up the Lightbox. No way to avoid.

"No problem," I think to myself. "I'll just use the Print Picture link like Prime Suspect says."

Except I don't see any Print Picture link. Anywhere. Not on the cache page, not on the Lightbox page, nowhere. Now maybe I am an idiot, but could somebody show me this magical Print Picture link I am supposed to use?

FWIW, here is a screen capture of the Lightbox page I see:

Lightbox.jpg

And a screen capture of the cache page:

Lightbox2.jpg

I just can't seem to find that Print Picture link thingy.

The print link does not appear on images that are attached to cache listings, only on the images that are attached to logs.

The workaround is pretty useless when trying to copy or print spoiler pics.

The print link does not appear on images that are attached to cache listings, only on the images that are attached to logs.

Thanks, Don.

I wonder if I somehow did not make it clear enough in my original post that the issue I was having was not with images attached to logs, but with images linked only on cache pages. Or maybe nobody read my original post.

At any rate, that now makes 3 machines with the newest version of Firefox installed that exhibit the same behavior: the right-click on the link just brings up Lightbox, so there is no way[/i] to save or print the image.

Could we please just get rid of Lightbox, or provide an alternate link, for images that are attached to caches?

At any rate, that now makes 3 machines with the newest version of Firefox installed that exhibit the same behavior: the right-click on the link just brings up Lightbox, so there is no way[/i] to save or print the image.

You can drag the link to the address bar and it will open the image on a new page. But I agree, lightbox shouldn't capture the right or middle click.

Yes, I did.

With, and without Greasemonkey enabled.

Try your other right-click.

Apparently you are right-click challenged.

Maybe you should consider getting a new mouse...one that has color-coded buttons.

A short note from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Did you actually try this before panning the possibility that it might work?

Thanks, Don.

I wonder if I somehow did not make it clear enough in my original post that the issue I was having was not with images attached to logs, but with images linked only on cache pages. Or maybe nobody read my original post.

Could we please just get rid of Lightbox, or provide an alternate link, for images that are attached to caches?

Thanks Fizzy,

I wonder if AZcachemeister somehow did not make it clear enough in post 7 that the way to solve your problem was to go to the gallery and RIGHT click on the image there. Or maybe you didn't really read post 7.

At any rate, that only adds 1 click to what you're trying to do, and the link to the gallery is just a short way[/i] from the link to the image on the cache page that you don't like. Right clicking IN the gallery works just fine.

So there's no need to get rid of Lightbox, since there's an alternate link in the gallery, for images that are attached to caches.

OK, I am really annoyed. I am working on a puzzle cache that has an image attached to the cache that is required to solve the puzzle. There is no easy way to save that image to my disk, because the Lightbox display script won't let me. The CO didn't display the image on the page itself; you just have to get it via the link at the end of the listing. The poorly-written Javascript actually intercepts a right-click and prevents you from copying the link location. I've had to resort to hand-inspecting the page HTML code to get it.

I recommend you post a link to the specific cache in question so others can directly observe what you are describing and help you try to crack the image saving problem.

I’m not sure why you didn’t do that in your original post.

I would think having lots of critical eyes on the site of the problem would be the easiest way to find the solution you are overlooking – assuming the solution exists, that is. If it doesn’t, then the demonstrated fact that lots and lots of people have confirmed your complaint would greatly help your case with TPTB, wouldn’t it?

I wonder if AZcachemeister somehow did not make it clear enough in post 7 that the way to solve your problem was to go to the gallery and RIGHT click on the image there. Or maybe you didn't really read post 7.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my post that AZCachemeister's so-called "solution" does not work.

I'll tell you what. KBI had a good idea. Here is the cache page. Go to the gallery and right-click to get to the image, and then come back and tell me how that worked for you. Mmmkay?

Edited by fizzymagic

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my post that AZCachemeister's so-called "solution" does not work.

I'll tell you what. KBI had a good idea. Here is the cache page. Go to the gallery and right-click to get to the image, and then come back and tell me how that worked for you. Mmmkay?

This image?

Edit: Firefox 3.5.5, right click gallery thumbnail & View image. Also had the option to "save image as"

Edited by Jumpin' Jack Cache

Right clicking IN the gallery works just fine.

And maybe in the future you could stop lecturing me about how to solve a problem without, you know, trying it yourself.

I now have the image on my computer. On the cache page, I right clicked and saved the image, even though it came up in lightbox as well. From the gallery I right clicked again and could have saved it from there. A left click on the gallery brings up the cache page again.

Using my Mac with Firefox 3.5.5

Go to the gallery and right-click to get to the image, and then come back and tell me how that worked for you. Mmmkay?

When I right-clicked on the Lightbox window just now I got a standard menu that included a "Save Picture As …" option. I selected the option, which saved the image. It saved to my hard drive, where I then opened it for view.

I accepted the default name, which is "80218d3a-fca2-4c1c-bd61-03cd7b95c1bb.jpg"

Hmm... Interesting. On one computer I couldn't right-click on the lightbox, but on this one at home I can.

Weird.

And right-clicking in the gallery is working at home, too. But on the other computer it just gave me the thumbnail.

So perhaps I am just stupid after all.

I blame global warming.