Why would people sign log sheets, but not log on webpage?

pilkro

I've placed my first cache a few weeks ago, and I've noticed that there have been 3 visits to the logbook a week ago, but none of them logged a find on the webpage.

I understand maybe if you're out caching for a weekend you wait to log your finds all at once, but 3 in a row without logs over a week seems odd to me.

Thoughts?

I notice that you had a couple of logs from a girl scout group - Perhaps a few in the group signed the log book but have never created geocaching accounts for themselves?

There are quite a few cachers around who enjoy the whole "hunting for a cache" bit of the game but choose not to get into the "logging it online" part.

Congratulations on getting your first cache listed. :signalviolin:

MrsB

:P

Myself I choose not to log finds on line because I don't want to. Some / most of the time I'll post a note as to what or how I felt about the cache..........back in 07 (I Think) when I reached 360 smilies, enough I'd been around the pot seen the handle, don't need no stinking numbers .......To Each Their Own

I've heard a variety of reasons for not doing so. Some are:

-By logging online they imagine that they are joining in some sort numbers competition that they don't want to be a part of

-They thought it was a lousy cache and if they can't say something nice they'd rather say nothing

-They are simply too lazy or "busy" to do it

-They are paranoid about leaving a permanent online log of their daily movements

-They don't think its anybody's business what caches they found

-They just haven't gotten around to it, but will...someday

Personally I think logging online is a nothing more than a simple courtesy. The cache owner spent the time, effort and money to place the cache, so the least I can do is let him know I found it.

Online logging also has a side benefit of being a convenient place to keep a journal of my finds and another key benefit is that it automatically removes caches I found from PQs.

Much better no log than a carbon copy mass logging like "Out with muggly mug on a caching spree. Found twenty."

Or, maybe not. I do like "found" logs online. That means more than likely the cache is still in place and healthy.

I'm an FTF hound which is one way to get me out the door.

I have 47 hides and it would be completely impossible to check the written logs on a regular basis, so online logs are nice for that reason.

I've placed my first cache a few weeks ago, and I've noticed that there have been 3 visits to the logbook a week ago, but none of them logged a find on the webpage.

I understand maybe if you're out caching for a weekend you wait to log your finds all at once, but 3 in a row without logs over a week seems odd to me.

Thoughts?

You're right, it IS odd. Participating in an activity that has as prime components the entry of information on a physical log and the leaving of an online log for others to benefit from as well as showing common courtesy to the cache owner and then intentionally not taking part in those elements, IS as you have observed.....odd.

There are lots of odd people in the world. My suggestion would be to ignore them. You for sure aren't ever going to figure them out and it is a waste of time trying.

Thanks! What a lot of insightful info!

Yeah, I was just curious, and not at all "offended" that they weren't logged online. I fully support everyone's right to enjoy life how they see fit. Personally I'm an OCD type who loves the idea of logging online, so it just didn't occur to me the reasons other people have. Thanks!

I can only answer for myself but I rarely by finds. Having a public record doesn't add anything to my enjoyment.If I have information to impart on the condition of the cache or if there is a story to my find I'll post it but I see little point in yet another "found it" post.

Thoughts?

It could be that they are new to Caching and don't know how to log it yet. Take me for example, my Daughter and I turned on her Geomate Jr. and starting hunting prior to even coming to this site and checking things out. Now that I know how to log them I do. Just a thought.

Thoughts?

It could be that they are new to Caching and don't know how to log it yet. Take me for example, my Daughter and I turned on her Geomate Jr. and starting hunting prior to even coming to this site and checking things out. Now that I know how to log them I do. Just a thought.

And this shows one of the problems with the GMjr.

Just this weekend I ran into this problem. A buddy and I went on a power run and along the way was a cache not yet found but was 5 weeks old. We went about 20-25 minutes out of the way for the FTF only to find that it was found 2 days after published, but never logged. We grabbed 5 caches on the way back to our preferred route, so it wasn't a total loss, but I felt it was inconsiderate of the finder.

Just this weekend I ran into this problem. A buddy and I went on a power run and along the way was a cache not yet found but was 5 weeks old. We went about 20-25 minutes out of the way for the FTF only to find that it was found 2 days after published, but never logged. We grabbed 5 caches on the way back to our preferred route, so it wasn't a total loss, but I felt it was inconsiderate of the finder.

lessee... if i have a firstfind anytime in may, it isn't getting logged until june. it just isn't. similarly any find i have in october (FTF or not) isn't getting logged until november.

the reason is simple: i do not log caches unless i am at home, or at least indoors. since i am typically living in my car during the months of october and may, i do not log caches in those months.

if you feel your caching day is a total loss unless you got the firstfind, perhaps your own attitude is dampening your enjoyment.

Thoughts?

Locally I estimate about a 40% log the cache but not online rate.

Some folks just don't like logging online.

unless you got the firstfind, perhaps your own attitude is dampening your enjoyment.

I have never heard this term before "firstfind" , I thought they were always called FTFs this must just be a Outdated/Dinosaur term.

ScubaSonic

it's what people who are good with words instead of acronyms might call it. can't handle literacy?

i'm still waiting for you to meet me in nebraska or whatever.

you still smell like chicken.

come out and fight or leave me alone.

i'm smarter than you, i'm faster than you, i'm tougher than you, and i'm fully literate.

mmmm, chicken.

Thoughts?

And this shows one of the problems with the GMjr.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the geomate jr, it's great for my kids who can't operate a regular gps. It was more my inexperience with caching and not knowing until I came to this site that we could log our finds on line. Once I found the CA numbers in the geomate jr. I searched them out and log our visits.

Edited by The_Rabas'

Here's two situations that cause this to happen:

1. I cache most of the time with my wife. She's loves the hiking and the finds but is not into the database or the computer part. She usually signs the logs with my handle, and her first name. So if you looked at that, you'd think you should find two online logs, but you won't, you'll just find mine.

2. Twice now, (including our very first time out) we've been with a large (e.g. 11 people) group, of which only 3 of us have accounts. When the group finds a cache, depending on who's filling out the paper log, you may get the names of those with accounts, you may get other names, or you might just get one made up name for the group. Those of us with accounts log our finds, but there will likely be other names on the paper log.