How do I load non-Garmin maps to my Colorado 400T

mcgillz

I have downloaded several maps from GPSFileDepot one of them is New England Topo Map. I chose the MAC version of the download. Once downloaded I have copied the .gmapi file to both the native memory on the 400T and to the SD card in the 400T. When I go to MAPS I still only find the 100k topo US map that came with the 400T. WHat am I supposed to do to be able to use these files from GPSFileDepot?

Thanks.

Oh, I also tried doing it via Windoze with no success.

I have downloaded several maps from GPSFileDepot one of them is New England Topo Map. I chose the MAC version of the download. Once downloaded I have copied the .gmapi file to both the native memory on the 400T and to the SD card in the 400T. When I go to MAPS I still only find the 100k topo US map that came with the 400T. WHat am I supposed to do to be able to use these files from GPSFileDepot?

Thanks.

Oh, I also tried doing it via Windoze with no success.

I've downloaded a few maps from GPSFileDepot and simply drop the IMG file in the \Garmin folder (either on the unit memory, or on an SD card) and it just shows up.

I have downloaded several maps from GPSFileDepot one of them is New England Topo Map. I chose the MAC version of the download.

If you download the gmapi files, you first need to install them on your Mac. Double-clicking the file should be enough to start the process (this should start Garmin's Map Manager program, which will install the map for you).

The map will then show up in Garmin's Roadtrip program, if you have installed the map correctly.

And finally, to copy the maps to your GPS unit, start Garmin's Map Install program, select the maps you want and transfer them to your GPS unit.

I don't know why Garmin decided to create three different programs for managing maps. I suppose it makes sense in some way. If you don't want to go through all that (it's actually not as difficult as it seems), you may be better off downloading the img files which you can copy directly to your GPS unit.

Hope this helps.

I've downloaded a few maps from GPSFileDepot and simply drop the IMG file in the \Garmin folder (either on the unit memory, or on an SD card) and it just shows up.

Newb to OR 300, using WinXP, but was looking at the OR Wiki.

It said that the only map files supported were:

gmapbmap.img

gmapprom.img

gmapsupp.img

I know the gmapsupp.img is a multi-tile combined map created by MapSource. Is the IMG you are dropping in the Garmin folder a gmapsupp.img, or a 12345678.img for a specific tile? I've already dragged and dropped a homemade gmapsupp.img, but to do it with a tile, or multiple tiles, would really simplify installations.

Newb to OR 300, using WinXP, but was looking at the OR Wiki.

It said that the only map files supported were:

gmapbmap.img

gmapprom.img

gmapsupp.img

Well, all I can say is the Wiki must be mistaken.

I have seven (7) IMG files on my SD card...none of them are the original names, nor are any of them in the list you provided:

CN2008_gmapsupp.img

FL24kTopo_gmapsupp.img

Trails_WiregrassPrairiePreserve.img

Trails_AppalachianTrail.img

Trails_HickoryBluffPreserve.img

Trails_LongleafPinePreserve.img

Trails_Boonieman.img

All the "Trails" files were created by me using MapEdit and cGPSmapper. THe FL24kTopo is from GPSFileDepot and the CN2008 is City Navigator. They all show up as choices when I select a map (the 'Trails' maps are all lumped together as a single choice).

Is it possible that the Oregon is different than the Colorado on how it supports maps...sure, it's possible. But I doubt that to be the case. AFAIK, all the current Garmin Colorado/Oregon models (with current release software) support any map filename you choose to use. And since this thread was asking about the Colorado, the information I provided is accurate.

I have downloaded several maps from GPSFileDepot one of them is New England Topo Map. I chose the MAC version of the download.

If you download the gmapi files, you first need to install them on your Mac. Double-clicking the file should be enough to start the process (this should start Garmin's Map Manager program, which will install the map for you).

The map will then show up in Garmin's Roadtrip program, if you have installed the map correctly.

And finally, to copy the maps to your GPS unit, start Garmin's Map Install program, select the maps you want and transfer them to your GPS unit.

I don't know why Garmin decided to create three different programs for managing maps. I suppose it makes sense in some way. If you don't want to go through all that (it's actually not as difficult as it seems), you may be better off downloading the img files which you can copy directly to your GPS unit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

It worked fine. Silly me I did map install first then Map Manager. It is strange that they have three overlapping programs to handle maps. Sounds like governments.

Anyway, now I know what to do!