Virtual Cache Adoption

I know that Virtual Caches are not longer allowed, but there is one in particular that the "owner" of which doesn't seem to be responding to emails anymore. I am familiar with this one and would be interested in keeping it "alive". Would this be possible? What is the procedure here?

Thanks in advance for any information!

You'd have to contact the owner and get them to send you an adoption request.

Forced adoptions are no longer allowed.

www.geocaching.com/adopt

I know that Virtual Caches are not longer allowed, but there is one in particular that the "owner" of which doesn't seem to be responding to emails anymore.
Are you talking about a particular Virtual Cache? Then you've answered your own question whether they are responding or not.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/ind...;kbarticleid=94

Grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless caches. Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.
Edited by Markwell

Grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless caches. Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.

That's good to know.

Yes, thanks for that. I was looking on the "types of caches" page and had not looked anything up about adoption. Question answered! Thanks everyone...

That's good to know.

Webcams and virtuals were no longer accepted sometime in 2005 I believe? TPTB would allow them to be adopted early on after that point, I've seen it, and could even give an example or two if needed. But a moot point, they don't allow it no more.

Another little known fact: You can't change the coordinates on a grandfathered webcam or virtual any more. If one of them moves (and it does happen, especially with webcams), then the cache is history.

I have a virtual cache "High on a Windy Hill" in the Olympic National Park. I am 84 years old with a bad heart. Not that many years left and wanted to keep it alive, but found out It cannot be adopted. So, when I go so will the virtual. I was told that German arm-chair cachers could still false log it. I hope not. Dick

Edited by W7WT

I have a virtual cache "High on a Windy Hill" in the Olympic National Park. I am 84 years old with a bad heart. Not that many years left and wanted to keep it alive, but found out It cannot be adopted. So, when I go so will the virtual. I was told that German arm-chair cachers could still false log it. I hope not. Dick

Cachers leave the hobby all the time and their caches last years longer than they did. There is no reason to think that your virtual won't be available for many years to come. I guess you'll just have to stick around and find out for yourself.

Cachers leave the hobby all the time and their caches last years longer than they did. There is no reason to think that your virtual won't be available for many years to come. I guess you'll just have to stick around and find out for yourself.

I don't think it works quite that way. While my 83 year old wife loves geocaching. I do all the planning and operating the computer. She is unable to type with her stiff fingers and there is no one else to watch the cache. I would rather have it archived than not be conducted the way it suppose to be. I just don't want it to show up on some German list as being able to false find. Since it is too hot to geocache where I am going I guess it doesn't matter. I have a few years left and by then Germany will have its own Geocaching organization.

Dick

The ban of adopting virtuals is in keeping with Groundspeak's policy of letting them disappear over time. I was very disappointed when a virtual at Machu Picchu was archived two months before we went there, and the owner stated that he had tried to adopt it out but it was not to be. . . . Its too bad because they are one of the parts of the game that is very fun, often in areas where physical caches cannot be located. But my thanks to all those who are still maintaining virtuals!

The ban of adopting virtuals is in keeping with Groundspeak's policy of letting them disappear over time. I was very disappointed when a virtual at Machu Picchu was archived two months before we went there, and the owner stated that he had tried to adopt it out but it was not to be. . . . Its too bad because they are one of the parts of the game that is very fun, often in areas where physical caches cannot be located. But my thanks to all those who are still maintaining virtuals!

I guess you could say that's the policy. :signalviolin:

As far as not being able to change coordinates of grandfathered caches, here is an example of a webcam cache in a small Ontario City that moved a few storefronts over, and had to be archived.

And here is an example of a moved Cleveland virtual that had to be archived.

It does indeed seem with these restrictions as though TPTB want to see Grandfathered cache types eventually disappear over time. Maybe I'm just sentimental, as I had to nuke my Webcam cache last month. :laughing:

W7WT you could always let someone else maintain it for you.

If you have any close friends who are Geocachers and you trust to give your password to they could look after it for you. Of course you need to trust them fully for that to happen.

Thank you, that is probably the route I will take. Either that our just archive it. Right now, most of the family live elsewhere and have no interest in geocaching and my wife does not operate the computer. Thanks for the advice.

Dick