Magnetic NANOs

DixieDiva

It's easy to put them. where they cannot be seen or felt and could not be found by mere mortals; it takes a little more thought to place them so that a cacher can find them. The ammo can idea is a good one, perhaps even an ammo can with 60 of them inside and one log.

Edited by Erickson

I bought one of the nanos. I'm afraid to stick it anywhere for fear it will be knocked off and lost. Any ideas where I could hide it and it be safe? THX

Where ever you hide it keep in mind that they generally are not waterproof and since the logs are so small they fill up quickly, requiring frequent maintenance runs.

"Out of sight on larger metal things" is the short answer.

The long answer includes: the recessed bottom of a railing; next to a line of bolt heads on a vertical post/pipe; up inside the post of a stop sign; the back of a big plaque/sign that's close to a building; the inside or underside of a loose steel fencepost cap; nearly anywhere on a detail-rich, metal stationary object (like a cannon set up as a military memorial, or the pistol-studded concrete column in Providence that I wanted to use but which is too close to existing caches); etc., etc. But those are mostly urban-type hides; where one might hide a magnetic nano out of downtown I can't even imagine.

Anyway, remember, "out of sight, out of mind": if you can't see it from an ordinary point of view, then it's probably an OK spot. And if it's sheltered from the weather, then it's probably a good spot.

- Will

P.S. In many parts of the country, hiders have to bear in mind where snow & salt will be shoveled (and possibly knock loose a nano or corrode it).

go deep into a forest and find a tree that has a nail in it, preferably obscured by branches and leaves. stick the nano to that.

it's even better if the tree is somewhere near a metal bridge or gate.

giggle evilly when you submit it for review.

oh, and an addendum to my original statement: be sure to mention in the cache listing that it's a magnetic nano.

go deep into a forest and find a tree that has a nail in it, preferably obscured by branches and leaves. stick the nano to that.

If the tree is an oak then you can paint it brown and glue an acorn cap to it. Check out A Cache Of Real Nastiness (GC1JX3D). It was fun, but I eventually had to archive it because squirrels kept stealing it! :signalviolin:

Hiding a nano is easy but getting people to like it is a lot tougher.

Don't listen too much to the people who are tossing sarcasm at a relatively new player. Just hide the type of cache that you like finding and you will be OK. If you like the nano, hide them to your hearts content. As stated before, and backed up with numbers, it appears that the micro caches get more finds than ammo cans. Of course that factors in the fact that there are more micros in urban areas so they are easy to get to.

What I would avoid doing is hiding a micro (or nano) in the woods. That will go on someones ignore list pretty fast.

What I would avoid doing is hiding a micro (or nano) in the woods. That will go on someones ignore list pretty fast.

..except for those of us who would go out to find it.

i STILL giggle when i think of the nano i found in the woods stuck to a tack in a tree about three inches off the ground.

go ahead and hide it where you want. just rate it properly and be mindful of the kind of traffic you want it to have.

Really put some effort into making the cache worth while for the finder. There are thousands of nanos attached to guardrails, sign posts, and under benches. Take the time to find a new spot or to flip these ideas on their heads (I love the paint it red and put it on the front of the stop sign). I can guarantee that most searchers look up and down the sign post for a long time.

Be clever and original. Just because the nearest cache is more the 600 feet away does not mean you need to place one.

I only have a couple of those Mr Magneto type nanos out there, and both of them are in places that are appropriate for only that sort of hide. One, as somebody else suggested, is painted to match a bolt of the same diameter, and attached to the tip of the bolt. Gets some good comments.

The other one is under a bench, but its in a very cool spot that has a decorative fireplace that is stocked with wood so anyone that wants to can sit and enjoy a bonfire. The cache name for that one gets the finders pretty darned close, to avoid the frustration that can come from nano hides.

The advice about hiding them close to home is one to pay close attention to. For some reason, people seem to want to write more and larger on those little nano logs than if you gave them a full-sized spiral notebook for a log! Buy extra logs (or make a bunch up), because you're going to need them!

oh, and an addendum to my original statement: be sure to mention in the cache listing that it's a magnetic nano.

Do all of this plus glue a bit of tree bark to the lid and you will have one like a cache not far from me. It's evil!

There's a black nano on a black iron fence around a fountain in downtown Montgomery AL. The fence is decorative cast iron with a vine and leaf pattern, about 3' high and 50' in diameter, so it takes a real search to find it. But, the homeless who sleep on nearby benches have made it into a cash machine... they move it after every find and charge the next frustrated cachers two bucks to tell them where they put it!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
There's a black nano on a black iron fence around a fountain in downtown Montgomery AL. The fence is decorative cast iron with a vine and leaf pattern, about 3' high and 50' in diameter, so it takes a real search to find it. But, the homeless who sleep on nearby benches have made it into a cash machine... they move it after every find and charge the next frustrated cachers two bucks to tell them where they put it!
Too funny!!! :signalviolin:

That gives me an interesting idea. Give the cache to a homeless person, then post the coordinates to their favorite hangout, with instructions to ask the person for the cache. They pull it out of a pocket, and you have a find.

Is this exploiting the homeless? It's not "Bumfights", but some people might be sensitive about these things...

Alternately, you could give the cache to anyone who frequents the same place regularly: a bar patron, someone at Starbucks, etc...

That gives me an interesting idea. Give the cache to a homeless person, then post the coordinates to their favorite hangout, with instructions to ask the person for the cache. They pull it out of a pocket, and you have a find.

Is this exploiting the homeless? It's not "Bumfights", but some people might be sensitive about these things...

Alternately, you could give the cache to anyone who frequents the same place regularly: a bar patron, someone at Starbucks, etc...

Moving caches are not allowed by Groundspeak, even if they are approved of by the homeless. Won't happen, but I enjoyed the creative thinking!

The advice about hiding them close to home is one to pay close attention to. For some reason, people seem to want to write more and larger on those little nano logs than if you gave them a full-sized spiral notebook for a log! Buy extra logs (or make a bunch up), because you're going to need them!

Excellent advice! For some reason people seem to like to write their full names, lengthwise across the log.

Edited by Erickson

Oh I know, nothing like a nano to bring out the "John Hancock" in people. Sheesh! Initials are plenty!

I Really liked the one hidden on a manmade climbing rock. There is was a ton of extra threaded holes not used for handholds. A recessed steel setscrew and a little rock colored paint made this one a toughie! It was a perfect fit -- and it will always be put back in the right place.... The wall looks somewhat like this:

932eacf5-6545-4f13-a772-f1609f06a82f.jpg

Nanos: When nothing else will serve the purpose. Yes. I do have two hidden. No, flask, they are 'micros'.

i meant not to declare it a size, but rather to describe the container. "loc-n-loc" is not a cache type, nor is "film canister".

Excellent advice! For some reason people seem to like to write their full names, lengthwise across the log.

of course the best tool for this is a chisel point marker. i sign 'em "EHRLENMEYER FLASK, FINDER OF ALL THINGS HIDDEN" and i write the date out longhand.

Or, visit your cache once a week, taking photographic evidence of its existence, to refute all the whiny entitlement junkies who claim it's not there. :)
I resent your implications that we entitlement junkies are whiny, and think that we are entitled to an apology. :D Edited by knowschad

Better yet, find a tree in the forrest that has some surveyors tape nailed to it and stick it on that nail, the tape folds over and obscures the nano.

Nano in the woods, nothing better to hide...