Er ... I'm almost ashamed to ask

Pajaholic

Sorry for the newbie question. I've seen the term "cointest" many times on the forums but can't figure out exactly what a cointest is. I guess that it's a contest or competition that happens to involve geocoins. However, in various contexts the term seems to mean a race between geocoins, a "geocoin beauty pageant", or any competition where the prize is one or more geocoins. :laughing::)

I've checked geolex, the geocaching.com glossary, FAQs, and knowledgebase; I've checked the FAQs etc. linked from the sticky at the top of this forum. However, I'm still none the wiser and would be appreciate enlightenment.

TIA,

Geoff

Sorry for the newbie question. I've seen the term "cointest" many times on the forums but can't figure out exactly what a cointest is. I guess that it's a contest or competition that happens to involve geocoins. However, in various contexts the term seems to mean a race between geocoins, a "geocoin beauty pageant", or any competition where the prize is one or more geocoins. :laughing::)

I've checked geolex, the geocaching.com glossary, FAQs, and knowledgebase; I've checked the FAQs etc. linked from the sticky at the top of this forum. However, I'm still none the wiser and would be appreciate enlightenment.

TIA,

Geoff

Yep, a cointest is any contest where a coin is the prize! Cointests are announced with the COINTEST wording in the title so those who don't wish to participate don't need to click the link to find it is indeed a cointest!!

Some cointests are races, some are simple "answer this" types, some require pictures etc...all are FUN!!

Er ... I'm almost ashamed to ask, ... but what's a "cointest"?

:D ...about every other topic in the coin forums... :anicute:

:laughing: ... imagine how clean and uncluttered the forums would be if they were all stuck under a pinned sub-topic? :D ...I personally wish I could hide about 90% of them from view... ;) placing them in another area would solve this problem... :D ...just my .02 :P

... cointests ... a pinned ... topic?

And a section for people selling part or all of their collection :)

A section for newbe questions :(

A section discussing geocoin design/manufacture :)

A section for tracking number issues :D

A section for upcoming geocoin events :D

A section for people introducing their new geocoins :P

A section for photos of whatever (including your 17 dogs) :D

An off topic section for people that want to pursue off topic ideas raised in threads (like this) :P

A vendor issues section :) + :D

A trading section :D

All the threads on your favourite topic grouped together & just a click away! Might increase participation ?

Edited by haysonics

And a section for people selling part or all of their collection :)

A section for newbe questions :)

A section discussing geocoin design/manufacture :)

A section for tracking number issues :huh:

A section for people introducing their new geocoins ;)

An off topic section for people that want to pursue off topic ideas raised in threads (like this) :o

A vendor issues section :sad: + :D

A trading section :P

All the threads on your favourite topic grouped together & just a click away! Might increase participation ?

all that makes too much sense... and would make the forums user friendly... we can't have that around here now can we? :D;)

I like reading through all the clutter to find topics I'm interested in... between the coin yard sales and the cointests every once in awhile I find a new coin that peeks my interests... no sense in fixing what ain't broke though I suppose... people don't like change...

And a section for people selling part or all of their collection :D

A section for newbe questions :)

A section discussing geocoin design/manufacture :P

A section for tracking number issues :D

A section for people introducing their new geocoins :D

An off topic section for people that want to pursue off topic ideas raised in threads (like this) :D

A vendor issues section :D + :D

A trading section :D

all that makes too much sense... and would make the forums user friendly... we can't have that around here now can we? :):santa:

I like reading through all the clutter to find topics I'm interested in... between the coin yard sales and the cointests every once in awhile I find a new coin that peeks my interests... no sense in fixing what ain't broke though I suppose... people don't like change...

I suspect people would really like the proposed format because of the ease of access to particular topics. It would only require a couple of hours (at the most) to add the categories and allocate the threads from the most recent 5 pages. We could have a 2 week trial. If people didn't like it then a mod can easily remove the categories and do a simple date sort to bring back the current, almost-unformatted, appearance. The proposed layout is the same as the Groundspeak forums page. On that, the geocoin discussions forum is a category. And That is all it really is at the moment. That's the problem.

At the moment our forum looks like it was set up last week. There is a couple of pinned topics at the top and 5 pages of threads. That is probably all a newbe thinks exists but there are infact hundreds of pages of unseen threads. To find those you have to try your luck with the search engine. Its hopeless. Lets say I want to search for all the threads to do with tracking number issues. What are you supposed to search for ? "Tracking number issues" ? Those 3 exact words ? How about "Tracking number problems" ? And do you just search for those words as the title of a thread or do you search for those words in all the posts that have ever been made ? And what if you don't know the exact name of what you are looking for ? What do you do then ?

It's time someone did something before we are swamped with threads from people using the forum to advertise coins they are selling on ebay. The endless cointests have brought the water to the top of the levy already.

People crave change. Its time for a propper looking forum. Who wants the honour ?

PS. And each section can have its own FAQ which is user editable so everyone can add information (like wiki). People can dig up their old detailed posts of gold class information and cut and paste the highlights into the FAQ's. We can put an end to the continual rehashing of old territory.

PPS. And then the geocoin forum will become the launch pad for the third expansion of geocoins. Groundspeak will sell 10 times the current number of tracking codes. Geocoins take over from traditional coins in popularity. Geocoins become the hottest collectable item in the world. We all become fabulously wealthy. Everyone lives happily ever after :huh:

Edited by haysonics

PPS. And then the geocoin forum will become the launch pad for the third expansion of geocoins. Groundspeak will sell 10 times the current number of tracking codes. Geocoins take over from traditional coins in popularity. Geocoins become the hottest collectable item in the world. We all become fabulously wealthy. Everyone lives happily ever after :laughing:

My version of your WikiEdit...We all are left in the dust by the massive influx of new designers who far surpass the creativity and funding of any existing Coiners

A section for photos of whatever (including your 17 dogs) :laughing:

An off topic section for people that want to pursue off topic ideas raised in threads (like this) :laughing:

There's already an off topic forum on the boards for these two. :lol:

Our plan is for each of the sections (11 mentioned so far) to be its own mini forum. Each section is pinned and relates to 1 topic only. If you click on it you then see all the threads about that topic. You want to discuss pushing the envelope in design? Just click on the Design section. Want to trowl through all the different threads on tracking number issues ? Just click on that section. Photos will have its own section with potentially numerous threads. One thread may be photos of dogs. Another thread may be photos of coins.

A section for photos of whatever (including your 17 dogs) :laughing:

An off topic section for people that want to pursue off topic ideas raised in threads (like this) :laughing:

There's already an off topic forum on the boards for these two. :lol:

Our plan is for each of the sections (11 mentioned so far) to be its own mini forum. Each section is pinned and relates to 1 topic only. If you click on it you then see all the threads about that topic. You want to discuss pushing the envelope in design? Just click on the Design section. Want to trowl through all the different threads on tracking number issues ? Just click on that section. Photos will have its own section with potentially numerous threads. One thread may be photos of dogs. Another thread may be photos of coins.

Then you would only need 9, since two are already accounted for.... :P

Almost but not quite. Currently there are 2 open threads that are pinned; GEOCOIN TRADING, WANTS, OFFERS AND LISTS and COIN BUYER AND VENDOR RECEIPT/FEEDBACK. But they should be mini forums. There should be a section/topic/mini-forum called TRADING that cointains at least 1 thread but hopefully more. Imagine I have a popular coin I don't want. I would start a new thread. That thread would quickly fill up with posts relating to that trade only, rather than the current situation where peoples trade requests quickly disappear into the background when a more popular coin is offered. Having individual threads created by members will stop the continual reposting of the same trade offers. The worst that would happen is that someone would bump their thread to keep it on page 1.

Edited by haysonics
Almost but not quite. Currently there are 2 open threads that are pinned; GEOCOIN TRADING, WANTS, OFFERS AND LISTS and COIN BUYER AND VENDOR RECEIPT/FEEDBACK. But they should be mini forums. There should be a section/topic/mini-forum called TRADING that cointains at least 1 thread but hopefully more. Imagine I have a popular coin I don't want. I would start a new thread. That thread would quickly fill up with posts relating to that trade only, rather than the current situation where peoples trade requests quickly disappear into the background when a more popular coin is offered. Having individual threads for members will stop the continual reposting of the same trade offers. The worse that would happen is that someone would bump their thread to keep it on page 1.

this issue of trades disappearing into the trading abyss when a more popular coin is offered or discussed is exactly why I won't post to a thread that is almost 5 yrs old and has over 15,500 replys.... I think 15,000 of those replys could be lost or archived....

I like your idea, but I'm afraid the majority if not all of it is falling on deaf ears...

PPS. And then the geocoin forum will become the launch pad for the third expansion of geocoins. Groundspeak will sell 10 times the current number of tracking codes. Geocoins take over from traditional coins in popularity. Geocoins become the hottest collectable item in the world. We all become fabulously wealthy. Everyone lives happily ever after :laughing:

My version of your WikiEdit...We all are left in the dust by the massive influx of new designers who far surpass the creativity and funding of any existing Coiners

... which lead W.S.R. to question the fundamentals of geocoin design. The result? The now legendary ..... geocoin. Revolutionary in its day. The first geocoin to .... Funnily though, his original designs are as highly cherished as his later .... geocoins. It seems you just can't beat a classic.

... which lead W.S.R. to question the fundamentals of geocoin design. The result? The now legendary ..... geocoin. Revolutionary in its day. The first geocoin to .... Funnily though, his original designs are as highly cherished as his later .... geocoins. It seems you just can't beat a classic.

I think I'm flattered?? !!

I think I'm flattered?? !!

I was just presenting an alternate future wiki entry. Both paths and more are open. The moment you choose one of the alternatives all the others vanish. Kind of like a quantum version of "Is the glass half full or empty" or a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book. Now I have gone off topic on our off topic :laughing:

The plan is to bring the thousands of posts locked away in the database out into the open. Instead of the 5 pages of threads we currently see we will have quick access to 55 pages, all accessable from a single front page. It will look great as well, what with all those mini-forums listed on the front page. Over time, as new ideas emerge, a handful of threads on a new subject may warrant its own mini-forum. You, the contributors, can petition the mods to create a new mini-forum/section when you think there is enough threads on a new topic/subject (sitting in the off topic section) to justify it.

A newbe to the site will see 11 (or more) mini-forums in front of his/her eyes rather than a page of cointests and ebay ads. Cointests will be just one of 11 options presented to him/her. The front page will become a world of possibilities. Also, people will feel free to create new threads in the topic area that interests them as it will be visible to like minded people. A huge chunk of the current repitition will be replaced with new material as people will be able to see 5 pages of threads on their chosen topic. This is the snowball that will drive the rosy future I outlined. Simplicity, specialization and 5 years worth of avid posting at your fingertips. And every person who has ever suggested a topic should be pinned can take credit for this. This proposal belongs to you all. If you are old enough to remember the days when you had to type in a line of DOS commands to get your computer to provide you information you will understand how I feel when I log in to our forum. If we can't have folders on our screen, let's have a page of mini-forums/topics. Just spare us the dreaded search engine. It aint g00gle, that's for sure. Our engine is 1979 technology. We should only have to use it in emergencies. It's time for all your posts to come out of the closet. All those hours people spent contributing. Let's see it.

Edited by haysonics