Germany Geocaching leading nation?

henny-r

Germany seems to always be a step ahead of everyone else in illicit geocaching activities. Armchair caching, fake virtual visits, now the scapers are finally getting hammered. Thanks Lep! I too was curious how Germany was pulling more hits than the US.

You are hitting hard on Germans. Our team started Geocaching two years ago and did not see anything wrong in armchair caches at that time. There had been several bookmarks for those caches and what could have been wrong with those (take a look at "Four Windows").

We stopped logging those when we got more information/clarification on the guidelines.

When looking at the internet traffic on GC.com please also consider that geocaching activity is ramping up in Germany like hell. There are new geocachers in our neighborhood every day. Are there statistics on how many new geocachers join globally per country?

I am a fan of Cachewolf on my Windows Mobile device and found hundreds of caches with this software.

Edited by apfelmaus

We stopped logging those when we got more information/clarification on the guidelines.

OK, and thanks for that. Really. However; there are now 3 very old nearby virtuals (as in pre-December 2002) that have either been archived, disabled, or put on notice because of illicit arm-chair logging. I'm glad to see there may be a growing understanding of the guidelines, but one has to admit the "Greetings from Germany" logs continue to be a detriment to the game.

That stats page is one of the worst data displays I have ever seen. I couldn't make sense of it. And I do data analysis for a living. The graph axes aren't labeled; the "rank" is unexplained.

But if it's true that 36% of the traffic is coming from Germany, then there is some serious page-scraping going on. And claims that "we didn't know it was bad" are pretty weak, given how clear the TOS are about that.

Just found some statistics on cachers per country:

Geocachers in the US with more than 200 founds: 35.000

Geocachers in Germany with more than 200 founds: 14.000

Does still not explain the traffic ratio but at least explains it why it is of the same magnitude. The reviewers in Germany are helping to translate the guidelines to German but certainly it would help to explain the game to newbies if www.geocaching.com would support language localisation.

Possibly it would be good enough if the website offers the technologie, there would be sufficient support by geocachers in Germany doing the translation work.

Please also consider that out of the top five countries listed in the original post, three have English as their main language.

Edited by apfelmaus

The reviewers in Germany are helping to translate the guidelines to German but certainly it would help to explain the game to newbies if www.geocaching.com would support language localisation.

As in like Wikipedia?

I'm thinking all geocaching.com needs to do is add full Unicode support. That would allow, say, Greek cachers to add listings in Greek and Russian cachers to add listings in Russian, e.g.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Germany has such a high number of caches/cachers/site hits, it doesn't automatically seem to follow that there's a language problem. They seem to be doing just fine.

In my experience, non-native speakers of English can find the site a little off-putting at first, but once you've found 5 caches, placed 1, and logged a Travel Bug, you've seen pretty much all you need to. The main thing is to have local resources to help you get started. With sites like geoclub.de and geocaching-france.com, many Europeans have easy access to such resources.

A fully internationalised version of Geocaching.com would be nice, but would pretty much require a complete site rewrite. Ouch.

Geocachers in Germany with more than 200 founds with most being out of the country virtuals: 13,975

Don't start this discussion again... :(

Geocachers in Germany with more than 200 founds with most being out of the country virtuals: 13,975

I'll beg your pardon, but my out of country virtuals are with photos of the location.... :(

I admit I have a few virtuals within my founds which were not possible to visit. But those are German Virtuals, which were never intended to visit in Person by the owners.

So start giving out to the reviewers, who didn't pay attention to those cachelistings and published them....

That's how this misunderstanding started. As a new cacher you solved some virtuals created as couch potatoes and thought, that's the way they work.

Now this has nothing to do with wanting a German language site.

But to all those, who want this, here is a link to a thread in the geoclub with a tool to help you... Geoclub.de

Would be nice, if Germans will start write their descriptions in English as well and make this game more accessible for people from other countries. Thanks.

Ouch, there is something for those long winter nights.... Have to get this done, you're right.

Hello geocachers in all countries.

I think that geocaching is one way to make the world a little smaller and break down barriers between people in different countries. In order to succeed we must be able to understand each other. I think it should be possible for everyone to cache in all countries of the world and that makes it necessary to use a common language.

I'm from Sweden and I always use English when I log a find or present my geocoins. The reason is that I want people that don't understand Swedish should understand me. English may not be the largest primary language but I'm sure it is the largest and most wide spread secondary language.

I do think that it's a good idea to have local sites with native languages that introduces people to this hobby. And it seems to exist such sites even in German (and Swedish too). So let the people at Groundspeak.com/geocaching.com concentrate on doing their job as well as possible without the pressure of making the site multilingual.

I will also ask everyone that make presentations of hidden caches, geobugs and coins, please add English to the description. I would like to read and understand you when I visit your pages and your hidden cache.

Would be nice, if Germans will start write their descriptions in English as well and make this game more accessible for people from other countries. Thanks.

Make that count for all countries and you got my vote :(

Yes, you are right. I just mentioned about Germany, because we just talking with friends few days ago about geocaching in Germany where is lot of caches written in German language only.

Make international support for this game would be nice, but I'm afraid after that more people will make listings without English description.

Oh I hate this stupid prejudices - or do I belong to the 25? For the virtuals I logged I visited all the locations.

Idiots and people thinking rules apply only to others exist in EVERY country on this planet.

Nevertheless, the possibilty for localization of the site would be a nice idea. Why should it for Groundspeak impossible to realize what facebook did? Facebook exist in the languages as requested for translation or assisted by the community for translation. AFAIK there exists already a greasemonkey script translating the most important parts of geocaching.com - yes, out there are people who simply never had the opportunity to learn english. Why exclude them from geocaching?

Oh, by the way, my profile has always been in english, a simples Tradi don't need a translation - coordinates should be sufficient! The two mysteries and one multi would make no sense to translate, as it would be necessary to speak german anyway for solving, as they are dealing with local history/geography.

But thanks for remembering translating the rest as far as it make sense/is necessary. - Pleas do not forget tell this also the dutch, the belgium, the french, the spains, the ...

Edited by jmsanta

How many different languages are there in the world? I can not even begin to imagine the difficulty and expense that would be involved in creating and integrating a site for each of even a few of them. Seems it could be prohibitive.

Localizing software is really not that difficult or expensive. In fact, i bet geocachers would gladly volunteer to translate Groundspeak's string tables, if they provided them.

Now, reprogramming the entire site to be *localizable* (or internationalizable) can be difficult if it was not originally programmed with that in mind. However, that only has to be done once. Once that task is done, adding new languages can be done basically for free (see volunteers above)

Edited by benh57

a simples Tradi don't need a translation - coordinates should be sufficient!

Yes, if you only look for numbers. It is nice learn something about place where have you found a box.

Is not ONLY about the numbers...

OK, I agree and see your point. I have to admit I overlooked this very important part of geocaching in the "heat of the discussion" and will take the suggestions for my cache listings. BTW, in the german/dutch Border region many cachelistings are bilingual...

I must agree with everyone around here. If german cachers claim to be the leading country in some numbers, german cachers should also concern in being a model in their cache listings language...

Just ONE german cacher claims this. If I'm not mistaken the claim has been extended to other languages! - And I would prefer renaming this topic. In general, I would agree almost but what about the people simply not fluid (enough) in english? Would you prefer an automatic translation by Google/Babelfish or other electronic means? It would sound very similar to a manual of a cheap chinese product...

e.g.: Kommunalrechtlich Frohnau was first a part of the estates Stolpe since July 1910 and formed its own Gutsbezirk. 1917, they separated the northern part as a further Gutsbezirk "Imperial Frohnau off. However, the separation was not achieved in practice since been dissolved by the revolution of 1918, the estates. On 1 Frohnau was incorporated in October 1920 against the wishes of its residents in the greater community steuerkräftigen Berlin and has since formed a city district of the district Reinickendorf.

no editing by me, just took directly the automatic translation of an arbitrary paragraph of my cache GC12FYT. So a proper translation of this listing will take me more time then it took to prepare it in my native language - nevertheless as stated above I'll take the challenge.

Regarding you cachelistings, geocricket, it's nice you did it, but why only as a PDF-File (e.G. GC1PWDZ)? If I'm on holiday abroad I prepare PQs for the region. This would not contain your PDF-translation and so make it close to impossible to solve the cache in times of paperless caching. Please take it just as a suggestion to even improve you work.

In general, I would agree almost but what about the people simply not fluid (enough) in english? Would you prefer an automatic translation by Google/Babelfish or other electronic means?

Of course I would not like to be provided with an automatic translation. Nowadays there are many cachers who already commit that many mistakes in their native language that the texts almost become incomprehensible for non native-speakers. So certainly there will be many cachers whose proficiency in English is not sufficient to provide an English version of their caches descriptions.

What's the real problem, however is that the majority of the cachers who are able to come up with a reasonable English version is not willing to provide one. Some are too lazy, some argue that they do not like to clutter up their cache description with different language versions, some complain that the text becomes then too long for being stored in devices like the Oregon etc. The last two arguments are also brought up if one offers to provide an English translation for a cache belonging to someone else (I have done that several times). Over the years geocaching is more and more turning into something very local where the global aspect gets more and more lost. The larger the number of geocachers gets in a non-Englisch speaking country, the less important unfortunately English gets. (A good example to illustrate this which comes to my mind as I happen to live in a region to which this example applies: Compare the geocaching activity in Slovenia with the one in regions of Austria close to Slovenia. Almost all Slovenian caches are available in English, almost none of the Austrian ones is available in anything than German. The same is true for the logs.)

For those who are willing to provide more than one language version, it really would help a lot if Groundspeak eventually fulfilled a request that has been brought forward already numerous times and since many years: namely to offer support for multilingual cache descriptions. The different language versions are provided by the person who hides a cache. What is needed is just a way to select one of the offered languages for printing/downloading.

Regarding you cachelistings, geocricket, it's nice you did it, but why only as a PDF-File (e.G. GC1PWDZ)? If I'm on holiday abroad I prepare PQs for the region. This would not contain your PDF-translation and so make it close to impossible to solve the cache in times of paperless caching.

Probably geocricket belongs to the large group of cachers who believe that multilingual versions on the cache page clutter up the cache page. As paperless caching is regarded, note that devices like the Oregon cause problems with long cache descriptions. Personally I do not mind (I am using paper printouts)

and that's why I have no problem with offering two language versions for my caches.

Cezanne

Regarding you cachelistings, geocricket, it's nice you did it, but why only as a PDF-File (e.G. GC1PWDZ)? If I'm on holiday abroad I prepare PQs for the region. This would not contain your PDF-translation and so make it close to impossible to solve the cache in times of paperless caching.

As paperless caching is regarded, note that devices like the Oregon cause problems with long cache descriptions. Personally I do not mind (I am using paper printouts)

and that's why I have no problem with offering two language versions for my caches.

I'm talking about a Pocket-PC e.g. with GPXSonar or Cachewolf or a netbook e.g. with GSAK oder Cachewolf.

I'm not arguing in favour of different languages, but personalised date/time functions in order to showing in the local format would be more than nice. The most 'problematic' is the fact that coordinates have the N/W quarter as default, which is annoying.

As mentioned in this blog post it's about time that one start to learn that 3/4 of the rest of the world does NOT have the N/W coordinate quarter as default.

As paperless caching is regarded, note that devices like the Oregon cause problems with long cache descriptions. Personally I do not mind (I am using paper printouts)

I'm talking about a Pocket-PC e.g. with GPXSonar or Cachewolf or a netbook e.g. with GSAK oder Cachewolf.

Actually, I have come across complaints about long cache descriptions already at a time when the Oregon did not exist. I noted, however, a larger number of complaints of that type since the Oregon exists and becomes that widely used. Like you I prefer if all offered language versions are part of the cache description instead of being offered on separate web sites or in separate files that need to be downloaded, or even worse being offered only on request. As long as no support for multilingual versions exists, the situation will, however, not change that much.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Actually, I have come across complaints about long cache descriptions already at a time when the Oregon did not exist. I noted, however, a larger number of complaints of that type since the Oregon exists and becomes that widely used. Like you I prefer if all offered language versions are part of the cache description instead of being offered on separate web sites or in separate files that need to be downloaded, or even worse being offered only on request. As long as no support for multilingual versions exists, the situation will, however, not change that much.

Cezanne

I have an Oregon and so far all the descriptions were fully on the device.

Only once I've seen a listing which used unnessecary html codes and blew up the listing.

For some reason some owners think they must embellish the listing with backgroundcolours and silly codes.

But those are luckily only a few in the mass of caches, whose listings are just fine on the GPSr to read.

....I admit I have a few virtuals within my founds which were not possible to visit. But those are German Virtuals, which were never intended to visit in Person by the owners.

So start giving out to the reviewers, who didn't pay attention to those cachelistings and published them....

That's how this misunderstanding started. As a new cacher you solved some virtuals created as couch potatoes and thought, that's the way they work....

Thanks. I've been wondering about that.

To answer the question. Opencaching.de is the german home grown website. The germans took bought into opencaching.com's ideas and ran with it to success while the opencaching.com site eventually died.

In general, I would agree almost but what about the people simply not fluid (enough) in english? Would you prefer an automatic translation by Google/Babelfish or other electronic means?

Of course I would not like to be provided with an automatic translation. Nowadays there are many cachers who already commit that many mistakes in their native language that the texts almost become incomprehensible for non native-speakers. ...

English has more idioms and phrases that mean something other than what they say, than you can shake a stick at. :)

Both get in the way of automatic translations.

You present some interesting ideas. I like them.

English has more idioms and phrases that mean something other than what they say, than you can shake a stick at. :)

Both get in the way of automatic translations.

You present some interesting ideas. I like them.

even worse are the "false friends" - words/idioms with a similar writing/pronounciation but different meaning

e.g:

gift - Gift, german for "poison"

corn - Korn, german for "particle" or "grain"

you must not - du musst nicht, german for "you dont need to do"

and this get's also in the way in manual translation - I remember an english lecture held by a non-native speaker which was only understood by listeners with german as native language... :D

If you took all the armchair caching out of the percentage Im sure it would not be as high as stated in the original post, I used to have 1000 of my trackables listed online for people to discover AFTER they had seen them at events. I had to remove the list after too many logs from Germany. but aparently someone has printed it out as 2 different cachers logged all 1000 this weekend.

Barry

If you took all the armchair caching out of the percentage Im sure it would not be as high as stated in the original post, I used to have 1000 of my trackables listed online for people to discover AFTER they had seen them at events. I had to remove the list after too many logs from Germany. but aparently someone has printed it out as 2 different cachers logged all 1000 this weekend.

Barry

Really? :D That's pretty daft.

Have fun deleting 2000 Logs, you'll be pretty busy, I guess.... :)

Make that count for all countries and you got my vote :)

Cache description in multiple languages would be a nice idea and here in the German-Czech border area you can often find caches with descriptions in 3 languages. The problem for me with this type of caches is that the printout will contains 3 times the same information. Thus on one side it is nice to have an English description when caching in an area where you don't speak the local language but I'd hate to have an English AND a German description of the cache on paper when caching in my home town.

The solution I see here would be to add language blocks (in the site's source code) to the cache description which could be made invisible in print view. This would probably be simpler than making the whole site multilingual.

Edited by Oisín

Pity to say that, but sometimes I see logs like "cache probably missing" and set as "found" and they are mostly done by Germans. Maybe is that because Germans are the biggest geocaching community in Europe, but it doesn't look good. Don't take it personally, lot of caches placed by Germans in Poland have Polish and English description, are in good quality, what is very nice. It's just example.

Cache description in multiple languages would be a nice idea and here in the German-Czech border area you can often find caches with descriptions in 3 languages. The problem for me with this type of caches is that the printout will contains 3 times the same information. [...]

when using firefox you should consider the plugin aardvark - I know, not a perfect solution but a good work-around which helps to remove the information you don't need before printing

I wonder what the traffic statistics would look like without Cache Wolf, SpoilerSync, RefreshAllGPX, and other screen scraping activity. :laughing:

Germany seems to always be a step ahead of everyone else in illicit geocaching activities. Armchair caching, fake virtual visits, now the scapers are finally getting hammered. Thanks Lep! I too was curious how Germany was pulling more hits than the US.

I feel that the two postings above are based on a too simplistic point of view. I am neither from Germany nor do I support armchair caching, scraping activities etc

It is, however, quite unfair from my point of view to assign the scape goat role solely to the German cachers.

As armchair caching is regarded, quite some responsability for the current situation lies at the side of Groundspeak. For quite some time some reviewers of Groundspeak (coming from different nationalities, one for example from the Netherlands) published armchair caches where a visit was not even possible - typically some puzzle question had to be answered and a correct answer resulted in being allowed to log a find. I recall quite hot debates I had on this issue with supporters of such "caches" (some of them being reviewers) back in 2003. If such caches never had never been published (they never complied to the guidelines), the community in certain countries would not have got used to such caches. As geocaching in Germany has developped earlier and faster into a mass development as in other European countries, it is quite natural that

Germany is more closely affected by what what went wrong in 2003 and 2004 and has never been corrected thereafter until very recently when Groundspeak started to archive at least some of the pure armchair caches that should have never got published. These mistakes of Groundspeak together with the (in particular for non-native speakers of English) quite misleading term of virtual cache are much more to blamed for the unfortunate practice of armchair logging than any nationality or any group of cachers.

As I have already mentioned in other discussions on the topic, a term like containerless cache would have made it clear from the beginning that it's not the visit that is intended to be a virtual one (like in virtual reality).

Moreover, note that many of the bookmark files listing sofa/armchair caches belong to US-cachers. The logs from Germany just are the ones that attract the most attention because they make up the largest proportion of those logs coming from non-native speakers. Many of the German cachers who log such caches are not proficient in English and just essentially copy the log of someone else. I have encountered virtual logs coming from almost all parts of the world.

I do not think that some nationalities have a higher geocaching ethics than others. It's not that simple. Of course geocaching has developped in different ways in different countries, and that plays an essential role in some developments.

Looking at the profile of a typical US-cacher it is not uncommon at all that he/she has found more than 10 times as many traditional caches as for example multi caches and the overall percentage of non-traditional caches vs. traditional caches in the whole country is strongly biased towards traditionals. One gets a completely different type of result by looking at countries like Germany or Austria. I do not know exact numbers for Germany, only for Austria, but the general trend is similar. In Austria about 50% of the caches are traditionals and when regarding only large urban areas like Vienna the percentages of traditionals, multi caches and mystery caches even becomes roughly 33%:33%:33%.

Many of the multi caches have considerably more than just two stages. So it occurs quite often that several spoiler photographs correspond to one cache. As Groundspeak offers no way to obtain spoiler photographs via PQs, it is not astonishing that tools like Spoilersync are very popular. The same is true for several other borderline tools. I am convinced that the majority of the current users of such tools (not all of them of course!) would refrain from using such non-official third-party tools that obtain some data from the Groundspeak site by scraping if Groundspeak would offer tools or methods to obtain what the other tools are offering and would offer at least the same level of comfort. Many cachers would be willing to pay more for extra services. The trouble is just that the extra services are not available at Groundspeak or some of its partners, neither free of charge nor for money. So it is quite tempting for some cachers to use available tools. NB: I do not use any tools myself - not even GSAK - as my own style of caching is very old-fashioned. It is not my intent to justify violations of the Groundspeak's ToU. My intention is only to stress that the situation is more complex than it is conveyed by simple prejudices like blaming the German cachers for being pioneers in bad Geocaching practice. I do not know that many of the US-readers here will reply

that PQs and GSAK leave them perfectly happy and that nothing else is needed for enjoying caching, but that's a matter of taste and of personal geocaching preferences and it also depends on the geocaching culture that has developped in the concerned region/country. Many claims that are true for the US do not hold for other countries.

As bad practice examples are regarded, there exist numerous ones that have their origin in the US. For example logging of archived caches to make up for not being able to log permanent caches offered at an event has never occured on large scale in Europe. Their exist other examples as well. It is not a question of nationality whether the behaviour of cachers conforms to the guidelines. What's special about Germany is simply that the German geocaching community is certainly the most active non-English speaking one. The growth rates in Germany are dramatic. So many of the problems which are caused by the language aspect or by a different geocaching culture become most evident in Germany.

Cezanne

Now it is time. Give us a german version of www.geocaching.com.
Make your own geocaching site. As far as I can see, geocaching.com is strictly in English. In Finland we have geocache.fi, in Estonia they have geopeitus.ee, in Sweden they have geocaching.se, and so on.

Besides, claiming that Germany causes the highest traffic to the site is just one measurement on how popular a hobby geocaching is. Other measurements: number of caches relative to the area of the nation; number of geocachers relative to the size of the population; average number of caches found per person; etc. By the way, does anyone know if these values are tracked somewhere?

I would also like to see some more internationalisation at gc.com

1) personalised date/time format

2) full Unicode support

3) possibility to have multiple cache descriptions in different languages NOT on one page (geocaching.de has a nice implementation for that...)

Hope this can be implemented some day...

We cached in Germany for almost 2 1/2 years, and of our over 1,400 finds in Germany, I'd say 95% or more of the cache descriptions were in German only. We didn't speak much German, so we used Google translate a lot. Over time, though, we learned a lot of German that was essential to caching: unter, kopfhohe, hinter, Baumwurzel, Stumpf, magnetisch, etc.

Now that we have an Oregon and cache paperlessly, sure, it would be much more helpful to have descriptions in English and German, just as many of the caches we found in other countries were. But I didn't have German versions of our cache descriptions for the caches we hid in Germany, nor do I have anything other than English descriptions on my USA caches now...

p.s. hi geowas!

Edited by hzoi

Make that count for all countries and you got my vote :)

Would be nice IF everyone was able to Read, Write, and Speak English. Even in the USA.

Geocaching was STARTED in the USA. Leave it ONLY in English. IF a cache is placed in another country in which English is NOT taught in schools, then cache description can be in native language.

It is Highly Recommended that all cache descriptions be in English. Reason for this is that "when combining native and non-native speakers English is probably the most commonly spoken language in the world, though possibly second to a combination of the Chinese languages (depending on whether or not distinctions in the latter are classified as "languages" or "dialects")" - Wikipedia Germany actually lies as 6th in the WORLD by English speaking people. There are over 46,000,000 English speaking people in Germany. Thats Over 56% of your population.

Also, IF you want a Translation, you can just use Google Translate. I don't know how well it works, but it looks the same...

Es gibt 952.436 aktive Caches weltweit. In the last 7 days, there have been 567,871 new logs written by 78,042 account holders. In den letzten 7 Tagen gab es 567.871 neue Protokolle, die von 78.042 Kontoinhaber geschrieben wurden. Check out the recent logs or photos . Schauen Sie sich die letzten Protokolle oder Fotos.

The Steaks

KEEP IT ENGLISH!

Hi eagsc7.

I take that you mean what you write.

Geocaching was STARTED in the USA.

... and CONTINUED in other countries.

IF a cache is placed in another country in which English is NOT taught in schools, then cache description can be in native language.

1) Being taught a language hardly means you are able to write or speak it, especially if it was taught in school ;)

2) "IF a cache is placed in another country in which English is NOT taught in schools, then cache description can be in native language."

I) IF...? Should it not?

II) Let me rephrase: "Whenever a cache is placed by an owner who speaks other languages than his native language, then cache description should/can be in his native language, local language and in English/French/Spanish/Swedish/Turkish/Chinese/Russian/Suaheli/..., whatever language(s) the owner speaks." How about that?

There are over 46,000,000 English speaking people in Germany. Thats Over 56% of your population.

I doubt that all 46 Mio. are able to speak (or write) it. Maybe so many technically were taught it in school (see above).

Also, IF you want a Translation, you can just use Google Translate. I don't know how well it works, but it looks the same...

And: the translation works as well the other way around. Good?!

BTW, how many of the caches in the US are bilingual in English and Spanish? Wikipedia says: "Spanish, spoken by 12% of the population at home, is the second most common language and the most widely taught second language."

geowas

p.s. hi hzoi!

Edited by geowas