How many is too many?

kleptofamily

Is there a limit to how many caches a person can own? How can a cacher own hundreds of caches & maintain them properly? I own 23+ and at any time one or more of them can be down for maintenance. I understand that many caches don't require much but hundreds of them would require work, unless you ignore them. (that could be a whole seperate conversation!)

Is there a limit to how many caches a person can own? How can a cacher own hundreds of caches & maintain them properly?

First, the answer to your questions:

1. There is no site limit, and there is no guidelines limit. The current record is in excess of 2000 (King Boreas, around Minnesota).

2. It depends on the cache owner. Some cache owners help each other out.

Usually when this topic comes up, someone is unhappy because another cache, perhaps owned by a geocacher with lots of hides, is blocking a location where they want to hide a cache.

If that cache has been missing for a while without any action from the owner, go ahead and file a SBA if you want. Otherwise, there's not much you can do.

Is there a limit to how many caches a person can own? How can a cacher own hundreds of caches & maintain them properly? I own 23+ and at any time one or more of them can be down for maintenance. I understand that many caches don't require much but hundreds of them would require work, unless you ignore them. (that could be a whole seperate conversation!)

I'd ask this guy if I were you.
I understand that many caches don't require much but hundreds of them would require work, unless you ignore them.
My first hide required a lot of maintenance. A couple times a month, I had to do something to fix it up. I wouldn't want to maintain more than a couple caches like that.

My current hides haven't required maintenance. I go ahead and drop by every few months, when it's convenient, but there has never been an issue that required me to maintain them. Maintaining hundreds like them would be no problem.

I currently have 13 disabled caches and 5 more with the Needs Maintenance attribute. Just a little more than 1% of my caches. (Closer to 2% of my 900+ active caches.) I try to visit my caches on a regular basis, but some of them require little maintenance so they don't visited by me that often. I don't race out and check on a cache after one DNF, though a few DNFs in a row will get my attention. The cacher logging a DNF is also of import; a newbie cacher's DNF doesn't count for as much as a five-year vet. If you ask most cachers in my neck of the woods they would likely tell you that I am pretty conscientious about maintaining my caches. Some cachers are over-burdened with ten cache hides, and some are not over-burdened with hundreds (or even thousands).

135e7952-fb66-4edd-a797-3acedf7517d2.jpg

I currently have 13 disabled caches and 5 more with the Needs Maintenance attribute. Just a little more than 1% of my caches. (Closer to 2% of my 900+ active caches.) I try to visit my caches on a regular basis, but some of them require little maintenance so they don't visited by me that often. I don't race out and check on a cache after one DNF, though a few DNFs in a row will get my attention. The cacher logging a DNF is also of import; a newbie cacher's DNF doesn't count for as much as a five-year vet. If you ask most cachers in my neck of the woods they would likely tell you that I am pretty conscientious about maintaining my caches. Some cachers are over-burdened with ten cache hides, and some are not over-burdened with hundreds (or even thousands).

135e7952-fb66-4edd-a797-3acedf7517d2.jpg

Ah, yes... the King Boreas Challenger!!! I think KB even has a cache around here that was placed in tribute of you, doesn't he?

I will continue to hide as long as it's either a unique hide, regardless of location or a unique location, regardless of hide. I'm trying to stay away from the regular lock n lock in the parking lot kind of hides. Though my first one was that, just to break into the hiding game. Of my four, none have needed any sort of attention, though I do stop by all of them whenever I'm in the area.

I'd ask this guy if I were you.

I did ask when I interviewed him for a Todays Cacher article. He says the local geocaching community pitches in to assist him.

While I don't have King Boreas numbers I'm approaching 300 total caches and have over 200 active ones. Few of them are ones I can simply drive up to and check on in a matter of minutes.

At any given time I may have one or two that require attention, but there are many periods where I have none with issues. The keys are:

1. Quality containers. Use these and visits to address wet contents are rare.

2. Good hiding places. Hidden well enough that passers by won't accidentally encounter them and also where searchers are unlikely to be observed.

I have a goal of checking on a cache within two weeks of a reported problem. Sometimes I don't meet it, but most of the time I do. Once in a while I totally miss a log reporting a problem, which is why I wish people would use the Needs Maintenance option more often. That way I can run a PQ of my caches and check for the NM attribute.

Like King Boreas other local geocachers will help me out. I may get a few DNF logs on a cache, followed by an e-mail from a previous finder telling me he plans on being in the area and will check on it for me.

Even though I work full time and have a number of other hobbies, responsibilities and activities that take up my time I have little trouble maintaining my 200 plus active caches. I can see someone who is retired being able to maintain far more than that. Then there are people who can't maintain 2 caches.

Sadly there are some geocachers who think that maintenance comes in the form of an "Archive" button and not checking on the cache properly.

That is one reason that for me, a person who hides vast amounts of geocaches, probably will not take the time to check on a cache(s) that has issues. This is not a blanket statement and you can start to get a feel for a cachers merit when you look into their history of how they treat their caches.

The idea of how many is too many depends on the individual.

For some...one is too many.

I'd not ask anyone if I were you. Soon, if not already, you'll see why.

I did ask when I interviewed him for a Todays Cacher article. He says the local geocaching community pitches in to assist him.

Nowhere near as often as it used to be. Rumor has it that a certain doorknob reviewer pretty much pointed out that the cache hider is responsible for his own cache maintenance. Obviously, we all pitch in to help everybody's caches, but there used to almost be a machine going that picked up or maintain old KB caches. These days, KB himself takes periodic trips, driving around the state to check up on his caches.

I must qualify the above statements, though, by adding that, while I've met KB numerous times, I don't really know him on a personal basis, and everything that I just said could be heresay and incorrect. Just passing along what I've heard.

I'd not ask anyone if I were you. Soon, if not already, you'll see why.

Meaning, of course, that whenever this question comes up (which is often), the responses are usually in favor of people who place boatloads of caches, but maintain them properly? This is true. But for every BrianSnat or OzGuff out there, there are 10 Micro Bombers with hundreds of hides who couldn't give a hoot about maintaining them. Usually while they're out collecting tons of smiley's and ignoring the maintenance needs of their own hides. :(

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I have 60 some caches that are all active. I visit them ALL on a regular basis or if someone notes there is a problem. Yes other cachers have at times replaced a log or wiped them down because they were moist etc but I am able to visit them in person regularly & do so. I carry a swag bag to replenish any that are a bit light on stuff & extra containers in the event they are getting beaten & need to be replaced.

I dont know how many more I will place but as long as I am able to maintain them then I am not concerned about the total number I have out there. They are all good caches at great locations so to date all is well.

I have a total of 75 hides (22 active) and had kind of made up my mind to hide no more. I am thinking of trying to get them all in and archived by Spring. Getting older wouldn't ja know. Two of the caches have not been found in a year. They require at least a 5 mile loop hike in relatively remote area. I kind of want to pick them up before I can no longer make the trek myself, thus leaving it to someone else to pick up after me.

Edited by Packanack

It's a function lf the kinds of caches you hide.

Hide 4 urban ones, and one could be down for maintance at any given time.

Own 600 remote, or out of the way caches and you may have room to hide 200 more before you start seeing one down for maintenance at any given time.

You get a similar effect based on the style of hide. Easy urban goes missing more oftent than hard to find urban. Likewise "visible to all passers by" hides will go missing more often than the ones that can be found out of sight of the general public.

Your mix is based on your own style. Clearly at 23 your style is going to keep you somewhat busy.

I have 75 hides, 21 of which are archived.

For me, I actually intend to hide a whole lot more within the next year. In fact, I am planning on a long series of 100 caches. Maintenance for me is a non-issue.

Of the active caches I have now, many of them are large ammo cans out in the woods. I hid them in good places and used good containers to insure they would last a long time. I don't want to have to go do maintenance in those places often.

I don't do maintenance runs on caches. I watch and read every log that gets posted and if I see something that is of a concern, I investigate. If I hear a cache is in bad shape, I replace it or archive it within a few weeks. If I get a bunch of DNF's, I disable and check it out and if it needs maintenance, I do it. Any caches that get an NM log, I check out within a few weeks to see if it really is bad. Just recently I found one of my caches that was in BAD shape so I replaced all the contents within a few days.

I think if you are hiding a lot of caches, you need to make sure that the means by which you hide them are good and solid, and that if you do NEED to maintain them, you can and are willing to do so. Some cache hides don't really need that much maintenance, or any maintenance unless something goes drastically wrong with them. More than 60% of my caches have never needed maintenance because of where and how I hide them.

If I hid a cache that was a several mile hike into the woods, I would make sure the container will last and not just hide some crappy 35mm canister. If you don't plan on going back for awhile, but you want others to see the area, make sure the container is good and solid.