Pay it Forward Geocoin Adoptions

Tennessee Jed

My crew would love to adopt a coin. We just bought a couple TB to send out, but need to make their laminate tags this weekend to send out with them. Would love to have one somewhere else traveling around.

My daughter in particular is into the travelling part of it and wants to look up information about places that our things have been.

We will surely pay it forward as our collection grows...Skye will be sure of it **it is an OCD thing - I will be reminded constantly I am sure....lol**

Breathing some much needed "breath of life" into this thread! Can you tell I recently received CPR certification?

We are up to 18 total recipients! I need to get many of these coins into caches still. I was on vacation, but spent all of my time in a national park, where geocaches aren't allowed. I'm going to do my best to get everyone's coin out within the next week.

There are still two coins remaining in my first offering of 20, so if anyone else is interested and has NOT already received a coin through this mission thread, come hither!

1. gesharp - adoption request sent on 25 July 2010!

2. mekk - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

3. all Wright - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

4. KarateNeko2 - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

5. DrGreenLeaf - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

6. TheKritters - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

7. FunkMaster-T (adoption will be sent to "HandsomeBoys" ) - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

8. maxime81 - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

9. Team_Merchlinsky - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

**. Little Miss Muffet - adoption request send from scificollector on 30 July 2010

10. Team Platypus - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

11. Zwack_(I.E.'s) - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

12. Team 5150 - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

13. pacman529 - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

14. FightingDrag - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

15. Relheok - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

16. FacetiousLee - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

17. zanzaras - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

18. Goos Crew - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

***Edited to reflect adoption notices.

Edited by Penny and Kona

Well, it seems that my adoption requests sent out today are not working as smoothly as in the past.

A couple of you latest recipients have contacted Groundspeak about this error. For those of you who haven't, I recommend doing the same. I'm assuming on the "adoption" email there is a link to contact Groundspeak?

Depending on what "the powers that be" say, I will re-issue the adoption requests if necessary.

Apologies to the latest recipients, but we'll get this sorted out somehow. That being said, if anyone hears something about this issue, please post it here so we can all benefit together.

Well, it seems that my adoption requests sent out today are not working as smoothly as in the past.

A couple of you latest recipients have contacted Groundspeak about this error. For those of you who haven't, I recommend doing the same. I'm assuming on the "adoption" email there is a link to contact Groundspeak?

Depending on what "the powers that be" say, I will re-issue the adoption requests if necessary.

Apologies to the latest recipients, but we'll get this sorted out somehow. That being said, if anyone hears something about this issue, please post it here so we can all benefit together.

I really appreciate it!!! I had similar problems, and have contacted Groundspeak. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear anything.

Excuse me, Penny and Kona let me adopt a coin, but I want them to activate it because they have it. They were unresponsive, so idk what to do. Can some one please help me? I adopted it and its my only coin so far, but I cant watch it move around the world because its not activated. Please, Penny and Kona, activate it for me!!! Send it out into the world!

Edited by KarateNeko2

Excuse me, Penny and Kona let me adopt a coin, but I want them to activate it because they have it. They were unresponsive, so idk what to do. Can some one please help me? I adopted it and its my only coin so far, but I cant watch it move around the world because its not activated. Please, Penny and Kona, activate it for me!!! Send it out into the world!

The geocoin adoption mechanism on the web site appears to be broken (see several of the previous posts in this forum). As soon as it's fixed we'll all be able to adopt again.

Wow.

I think you are confusing "activated" with "placed in a cache."

Let's breathe a sigh of relief and then talk facts. Your coin is activated and you are the owner: TB23N0H

Yes, I have your geocoin. It is safe. I have prepared a little sheet to go with it stating it's mission (to travel to you), and I will place it as soon as I am able. You are the second person to ask me to please put it in a cache soon, and I promise to do this WHEN I AM ABLE. I beg of you and the other recipients a little patience.

Also, your attempt to contact to me did not convey that you were having problems adopting the coin. Rather, it was a message from the "Geocaching Friends" feature on geocaching.com, confirming that you had completed the adoption and for me to place your coin out into the wild.

Here is all I received (color added by me):

"This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

KarateNeko2 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c77b01f4-2160-4af2-99b9-f067417ea036) has sent you a friend request! To add this person to your friends list you can click the link provided below.

Geocaching Friends is a feature which allows you to identify other geocachers who share similar interests, while providing new ways of interacting online.

KarateNeko2 had this to say:

Hey, I adopted the coin you offered! If you can send it out into the wild I would apriciate it! Thank you.

KarateNeko2

Click on the link below to either Accept or Decline this Friend invite.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/pfr.aspx?rg=d...6e93a3223" (**NOTE: link altered by me for the privacy of both parties)

I apologize for your confusion, and again, I promise to send your coin out into the world as soon as I am able.

You're welcome, and happy caching.

**Edited for clarification

Edited by Penny and Kona

Good news!

I just received an email that ALL of the adoption notices sent out on the 18th have been manually added to your inventories!

I checked my profile and, indeed, my pages of coins went from 5 to 4! Everyone please check your accounts to see if your coin is there. If there are any problems, please let me know...

Also, I am going to try to get everyone's coin moving as soon as possible, but know that it may not happen this weekend. Please be a bit patient with me.

Pop Quiz for the new owners: What is the RECOMMENDED amount of time that a geocacher should hold onto a trackable before moving it?!

:anibad:

Good news!

I just received an email that ALL of the adoption notices sent out on the 18th have been manually added to your inventories!

I checked my profile and, indeed, my pages of coins went from 5 to 4! Everyone please check your accounts to see if your coin is there. If there are any problems, please let me know...

Also, I am going to try to get everyone's coin moving as soon as possible, but know that it may not happen this weekend. Please be a bit patient with me.

Pop Quiz for the new owners: What is the RECOMMENDED amount of time that a geocacher should hold onto a trackable before moving it?!

:anibad:

About a week, i believe.

About a week, i believe.

Well, I just learned something. I always through the "rule of thumb" was two weeks, but you get a pass on this zanzaras, because the two weeks guidline is listed only on the Travel Bug FAQ:

"Is there any Travel Bug etiquette?

Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know."

At least, I did not find it in the comparable section on the Geocoin FAQ, although the rest of the information there is good:

"Is there any Geocoin etiquette?

The most common question on etiquette relates to what to do if you find a Geocoin. Keep it? Move it to another geocache? The answer always depends on the goal its owner has set for it. Usually the best way to find the answer to these questions is to visit the geocoin's personal home page and read the description it contains. If there is a theme or special instructions from the owner you should do your best to adhere to the geocoin's goal, or send an email to the owner for more clarification.

In addition, selling a coin which doesn't belong to you is generally frowned upon unless you have received express permission from its owner. How can I stop someone from selling a geocoin I gave them?

If you create your own series of geocoins and wish to prevent people from selling them, it is recommended you activate all of your coins on Geocaching.com before they leave your possession. This gives you a claim to ownership and, once reported, allows us to deactivate the coin at your request. If you have given any geocoins away which have not been activated, we consider it to be a transfer of ownership and cannot intervene. Think ahead!"

Well, I just learned something. I always through the "rule of thumb" was two weeks, but you get a pass on this zanzaras, because the two weeks guidline is listed only on the Travel Bug FAQ

I thought it was a week, but after looking around, i saw the same thing in the TravelBug section. So i'm guessing 2 weeks is correct. That's good. I've been trying to move them within a week, so it's nice to have a little more breathing room. :anibad:

Well, I just learned something. I always through the "rule of thumb" was two weeks, but you get a pass on this zanzaras, because the two weeks guidline is listed only on the Travel Bug FAQ

I thought it was a week, but after looking around, i saw the same thing in the TravelBug section. So i'm guessing 2 weeks is correct. That's good. I've been trying to move them within a week, so it's nice to have a little more breathing room. :anibad:

You're doing better than me!

Our Cache Agent is adorable....Skye says "She's so cuuuuute"....lol, then immediately gets on the phone to describe it to Destiny and Michael, who are now planning on invading my home bright and early so they can see too....here is to hoping the hour is acceptable and I am awake before the doorbell starts....yikes.

Thank you so very much. Can't wait to watch the travels and stories. I am going to have the kids give a guess as to how long it will take her to get here, and then whoever is closest will get a little prize. Take your time in sending her off....we appreciate your generousity!

They each have a TB to send off into the world **which bad Goo has yet to make laminate cards for**. But I think they are more excited about having something actually headed their way. Will need them to start jotting down ideas for the second journey. I have also been told in not so many words that Coins are so much cooler than TBs.

Penny and Kona, Thank you.

Please take as long as you need to to get the coin moving... I always used the travel Bug "two week" guideline as a guide, but it depends on what else is going on here too.

I have a couple that I have to release this weekend come what may as I've had them too long. With any luck I can help them on their way a bit... (I was hoping to be travelling east soon which is why I haven't released one of them yet)

Thanks again for everything.

Z.

Wow.

I think you are confusing "activated" with "placed in a cache."

Let's breathe a sigh of relief and then talk facts. Your coin is activated and you are the owner: TB23N0H

Yes, I have your geocoin. It is safe. I have prepared a little sheet to go with it stating it's mission (to travel to you), and I will place it as soon as I am able. You are the second person to ask me to please put it in a cache soon, and I promise to do this WHEN I AM ABLE. I beg of you and the other recipients a little patience.

Also, your attempt to contact to me did not convey that you were having problems adopting the coin. Rather, it was a message from the "Geocaching Friends" feature on geocaching.com, confirming that you had completed the adoption and for me to place your coin out into the wild.

Here is all I received (color added by me):

"This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

KarateNeko2 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c77b01f4-2160-4af2-99b9-f067417ea036) has sent you a friend request! To add this person to your friends list you can click the link provided below.

Geocaching Friends is a feature which allows you to identify other geocachers who share similar interests, while providing new ways of interacting online.

KarateNeko2 had this to say:

Hey, I adopted the coin you offered! If you can send it out into the wild I would apriciate it! Thank you.

KarateNeko2

Click on the link below to either Accept or Decline this Friend invite.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/pfr.aspx?rg=d...6e93a3223" (**NOTE: link altered by me for the privacy of both parties)

I apologize for your confusion, and again, I promise to send your coin out into the world as soon as I am able.

You're welcome, and happy caching.

**Edited for clarification

OOOhhhh... sorry. Thank you. I was confused. It's good to know you will. Thank you again haha sorry bout my franticness. Plz forgive me. I apriciate this! Thanks. I should have thought about it more. Thanks.

~KN2

Edited by KarateNeko2

Now that the adoption option (I like that!) seems to have been fixed, I can update the list with the most recent requests for coins:

1. gesharp - adoption request sent on 25 July 2010!

2. mekk - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

3. all Wright - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

4. KarateNeko2 - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

5. DrGreenLeaf - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

6. TheKritters - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

7. FunkMaster-T (adoption will be sent to "HandsomeBoys" ) - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

8. maxime81 - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

9. Team_Merchlinsky - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

**. Little Miss Muffet - adoption request send from scificollector on 30 July 2010

10. Team Platypus - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

11. Zwack_(I.E.'s) - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

12. Team 5150 - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

13. pacman529 - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

14. FightingDrag - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

15. Relheok - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

16. FacetiousLee - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

17. zanzaras - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

18. Goos Crew - adoption request sent on 18 August 2010

19. IdaLabs - adoption request sent on 24 August 2010

20. Dopehead.NL - adoption request sent on 24 August 2010

And that will do it for my 20 coins! Now, if I can round up another 20...

Edited by Penny and Kona

Today was a great day, I got a family extension, its a.....ehm, its a, wel ehm, its a troll <_<

And I am very happy with the little fella !

d41de8f3-7750-4992-ba36-c29f1143ba2b.jpg

Thank you Penny and Kona for this cute geocoin !

I hope it finds its way to The Netherlands !

Great initiative and for sure I will pay it forward.

Edited by Dopehead.NL

The most recent requests for "pay it forward" adoptions have been heard! I have some extra coins that I will activate and adopt over to:

ice13-333

T1mmy

bootblackblast

ice13-333 - I'm thinking you should be able to "pay it foward" sooner than anybody. You've got at least one very cool geocoin that you've created and are sure to have extras, right?! :)

Adoption requests to follow...

The most recent requests for "pay it forward" adoptions have been heard! I have some extra coins that I will activate and adopt over to:

ice13-333

T1mmy

bootblackblast

ice13-333 - I'm thinking you should be able to "pay it foward" sooner than anybody. You've got at least one very cool geocoin that you've created and are sure to have extras, right?! :)

Adoption requests to follow...

Thank you very much for the saskwatch 2008 coin, i´m happy if it will reach me here in germany sometimes...

Sadly no extras left of my own coin, but i have one Sopranos Mob Event Geocoin in my Traders, that i can put in to adopt... Who want this coin? :)

Edited by ice13-333

Hello there

I'm a Trustee with the PWSA (UK) charity for those with Prader-Willi Syndrome and I have had some PWS jigsaw TB's manufactured and would like to make some available for adoption if a donation is made to PWS through my just giving page:

http://www.justgiving.com/pwsa-yorkshire3peaks-alanashbee

Further informattion on PWSA can be found on www.pwsa.co.uk

Let me know please

I actually don't have ANY geocoins, although I have a few TBs and have greatly enjoyed watching them travel the world. If anyone has a coin that needs someone to watch over it, I'd be happy to adopt it.

I assume it's basically like adopting a cache? No money (or items) change hands, it's just me taking over a trackable, right?

This is all new territory for me... Exciting!! ;)

Cheers!

Vickyth

Hello Vickyth,

i´ll activate my offered coin now and send you the adoption after finishing.

You´re right, no money and no item change hands, but i´ll write at the coin page, that the coin will travel towards your hometown... Maybe it will reach you sometimes... :)

Regards Ines

Edit: Coin released and adoption request sended.... Coin will be dropped as fast as possible into a cache...

I actually don't have ANY geocoins, although I have a few TBs and have greatly enjoyed watching them travel the world. If anyone has a coin that needs someone to watch over it, I'd be happy to adopt it.

I assume it's basically like adopting a cache? No money (or items) change hands, it's just me taking over a trackable, right?

This is all new territory for me... Exciting!! :laughing:

Cheers!

Vickyth

Edited by ice13-333

Ines,

Vielen dank! Your generosity is truly appreciated. I look forward to watching the coin travel the world and will indeed "pay it forward" at some future date, when funds allow!

Can't wait to see where it goes!

Vicky

Hello Vickyth,

i´ll activate my offered coin now and send you the adoption after finishing.

You´re right, no money and no item change hands, but i´ll write at the coin page, that the coin will travel towards your hometown... Maybe it will reach you sometimes... :)

Regards Ines

Edit: Coin released and adoption request sended.... Coin will be dropped as fast as possible into a cache...

This is all new territory for me... Exciting!! :laughing:

Cheers!

Vickyth

WOW!!! that's so great! :D

I have adopted some coins from this thread so I do not know if I am allowed to adopt more, but What you are doing is great my friend! I hope that this coin will go to a cacher that hasn't adopted a coin yet, so our company will grow bigger! :D

Now... if nobody come around.... well... I can accept it! :D (I am joking and everythime I write this it really works! Someone is posting after a couple of hours!) :P I am doing this to bring more cachers here! :D

I would love to adopt a geocoin! Add me to the list! Thanks!

Well, if you don't mind waiting for me to get the coin then I don't mind paying it forward to you...

With any luck it will arrive at your location (somewhere in North Carolina)... But it might be several weeks before it arrives by mail here (I'm going to guess late October at the latest). If you are willing to wait until I receive it then I will adopt it over to you and release it. If someone else is ready to send now then I can wait...

Z.

I have adopted some coins from this thread so I do not know if I am allowed to adopt more, but What you are doing is great my friend! I hope that this coin will go to a cacher that hasn't adopted a coin yet, so our company will grow bigger! :D

Now... if nobody come around.... well... I can accept it! :D (I am joking and everythime I write this it really works! Someone is posting after a couple of hours!) :P I am doing this to bring more cachers here! :D

It worked!!! Unfortunately (for you) that means that I won't be sending it your way... But nice try GATOULIS.

Z.

I would love to adopt a geocoin! Add me to the list! Thanks!

Well, if you don't mind waiting for me to get the coin then I don't mind paying it forward to you...

With any luck it will arrive at your location (somewhere in North Carolina)... But it might be several weeks before it arrives by mail here (I'm going to guess late October at the latest). If you are willing to wait until I receive it then I will adopt it over to you and release it. If someone else is ready to send now then I can wait...

Z.

Thanks so much! Just keep me in mind when you receive it!

Now... if nobody come around.... well... I can accept it! :D (I am joking and everythime I write this it really works! Someone is posting after a couple of hours!) :laughing: I am doing this to bring more cachers here! :D

It worked!!! Unfortunately (for you) that means that I won't be sending it your way... But nice try GATOULIS.

Z.

:P:D:D I told you, it works!!!! :D:D I am so happy that we have a new member in the pay forward family! :D Oh, do not worry about me at all my friend! :D I was hoping that a new cacher will come! :D Actually if there is a movement in the thread most probably an eye will caught it and will post! :D It is a great thread with lots of kind and generous cachers, so... it is good to see that many are entering! :)

Edited by GATOULIS