Pay it Forward Geocoin Adoptions

Tennessee Jed

Hello All! We are still fairly new to this great sport, and we would love to adopt a geocoin that our kids could enjoy following! We have two children, aged 6 and 10, and they both love geocaching!! We are hoping to find a place to purchase these coins, and will pay it forward when we find some coins to buy....

Thanks for considering!!! :):)

I have some coins I would be happy to adopt out. According to my readings through this thread, I think the oldest post that didn't get a coin adopted out yet was from "ImAGoonie" back on 28 May 2010, so I'll start the list with them.

I have 20 coins up for grabs and am going to be doing some travelling VERY soon.

I would like to stick with the spirit set by Tennessee Jed: adoptions to people without expectations from a person, me, without expectations. It is the gesture of adoption that HOPEFULLY will inspire some of you to adopt a coin out when you get a chance. Giving is nearly as much fun as watching a geocoin travel, and certainly more fun that watching a geocoin stall out! :lol:

Here is a list I have so far:

0. ImAGoonie (coin adopted out by paganfrog!)

1. gesharp - adoption request sent on 25 July 2010!

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

7. FunkMaster-T (adoption will be sent to "HandsomeBoys" )

13 more coins to go!

Edited by Penny and Kona

WOW!!! you are amazing Penny and Kona!!! :lol: It is good to see the thread "alive" again! :P

what you do is great my friend! :D

I was honored here with some coins.... so I do not know if I am allowed to adopt an other one... Well... maybe if there is a spare in the end... :D

But I am sure and I hope more will come and newer members and spread with the coins the pay it forward and link them here! :D

I have some coins I would be happy to adopt out. According to my readings through this thread, I think the oldest post that didn't get a coin adopted out yet was from "ImAGoonie" back on 28 May 2010, so I'll start the list with them.

I have 20 coins up for grabs and am going to be doing some travelling VERY soon.

I would like to stick with the spirit set by Tennessee Jed: adoptions to people without expectations from a person, me, without expectations. It is the gesture of adoption that HOPEFULLY will inspire some of you to adopt a coin out when you get a chance. Giving is nearly as much fun as watching a geocoin travel, and certainly more fun that watching a geocoin stall out! :lol:

1. gesharp

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

13 more coins to go!

WOW! Thank you so much! Do I need to do anything to adopt the coin?

WOW! Thank you so much! Do I need to do anything to adopt the coin?

I just sent the adoption email to you via geocaching.com , so you should receive it sometime this evening. Congratulations! Feel free to change the mission of the coin or edit however you like. It is, after all, YOUR coin now. Enjoy, and remember to try to pay it forward someday!

Good evening,

I`m new to geocaching, would like to adopt a coin, what should I do? Thanks

According to the first post in this thread, all you need to do is declare your interest in adopting a coin. So, congratulations! :lol: I'll add you to my list of 20 coins.

To save me a bit of time, I'll wait until all 20 coins are spoken for, and then send out adoption requests. I'll post progress here, so keep checking back to see when you might receive an adoption request. Also, there's lots of information about geocoins, how to correctly log them, and how to effectively (?) keep them moving. As a new cacher with an interest in coins, there's a lot to learn and a lot of knowledgeable people here to get to know.

Excluding me, of course.

Here's my list so far, including our most recent adopter, maxime81:

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

8. maxime81

Good evening,

According to the first post in this thread, all you need to do is declare your interest in adopting a coin. So, congratulations! :lol: I'll add you to my list of 20 coins.

To save me a bit of time, I'll wait until all 20 coins are spoken for, and then send out adoption requests. I'll post progress here, so keep checking back to see when you might receive an adoption request. Also, there's lots of information about geocoins, how to correctly log them, and how to effectively (?) keep them moving. As a new cacher with an interest in coins, there's a lot to learn and a lot of knowledgeable people here to get to know.

Excluding me, of course.

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

8. maxime81

Good evening,

Excluding me, of course.

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

8. maxime81

I aould be interested in adopting a coin if there still some available. Thanks

Good evening,

Excluding me, of course.

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

8. maxime81

I've completed the adoption step. THANK YOU! Do I need to do anything else?

Adoptions have been sent to and accepted by barrz123, torbayns and TreasureKid's.

Barrz123,

I'd like to keep these 20 coins for geocachers who have not yet received a geocoin adoption. Hopefully the coin you got from 2golfers is still moving and will find its way to you someday!

Thanks, and happy caching!

Good evening,

I've completed the adoption step. THANK YOU! Do I need to do anything else?

Nope - the coin is yours! You'll receive emails whenever a geocacher places or retrieves your coin into/from a geocache, as well as any notes posted for your geocoin. So, you'll know when your coins is on its way! Enjoy the journey...

Updating list of recipients for my first donation to the "Pay It Forward" adoption mission - welcome (back?) Team_Merchlinsky!

FunkMaster-T: Everyone in these forums was new to geocaching and to geocoin at one point. I was kind enough to receive a coin from a well-sought-after designer in here, and the only request was to pay it forward. I have the coin to this day - it is activated and serves as my trading/seeking coin list placeholder! It was a great gesture and the request that came with it I take very seriously.

The hope for this thread is that those who receive will remember this gesture when they are able to share themselves.

When I get enough takers for the 20 coins, I'll send out adoptions and do my best to get the coins travelling ASAP. You'll receive adoption notices via email, and that will be your notification that your coin is soon to be in a geocache and en route to you!

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

8. maxime81

9. Team_Merchlinsky

Updating list of recipients for my first donation to the "Pay It Forward" adoption mission - welcome (back?) Team_Merchlinsky!

FunkMaster-T: Everyone in these forums was new to geocaching and to geocoin at one point. I was kind enough to receive a coin from a well-sought-after designer in here, and the only request was to pay it forward. I have the coin to this day - it is activated and serves as my trading/seeking coin list placeholder! It was a great gesture and the request that came with it I take very seriously.

The hope for this thread is that those who receive will remember this gesture when they are able to share themselves.

When I get enough takers for the 20 coins, I'll send out adoptions and do my best to get the coins travelling ASAP. You'll receive adoption notices via email, and that will be your notification that your coin is soon to be in a geocache and en route to you!

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

8. maxime81

9. Team_Merchlinsky

Thank u for the welcome back yes it is us the merchlinskys :( we are getting back in to the swing of things but as every one knows it can time time and thanks for the adopt :D

Quick update, in hopes to getting some of these moving this weekend!

2. mekk - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

3. all Wright - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

4. KarateNeko2 - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

5. DrGreenLeaf - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

6. TheKritters - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

7. FunkMaster-T (adoption will be sent to "HandsomeBoys" ) - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

8. maxime81 - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

9. Team_Merchlinsky - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

Thansk alot Penny and Kona...The Handsome Boys have adopted Lettuce Go Caching and can't wait to watch its travels. Very Generous of you and we sure do appretiate it. Two of the Handsome Boys are quite young (ages 5 and 2) and its nice to be able to show them that there are people that do things in this world just to be nice...T.

Penny and Kona, thank you so very much! This will be so exciting to watch it travel! Both my kids love caching and looking at coins and this one will be fun for them to see how close it is, especially my little guy who is 6.

We will definitely pay it forward soon! Thank you again!!! :P

I would like to stick with the spirit set by Tennessee Jed: adoptions to people without expectations from a person, me, without expectations. It is the gesture of adoption that HOPEFULLY will inspire some of you to adopt a coin out when you get a chance. Giving is nearly as much fun as watching a geocoin travel, and certainly more fun that watching a geocoin stall out! :shocked:

2. mekk

3. all Wright

4. KarateNeko2

5. DrGreenLeaf

6. TheKritters

13 more coins to go!

I love it!!!! Thank you so much!!! (((hugs))) :laughing:

JUST got into geocaching.

WOULD LOVE A COIN!!!!

ill probably pass it on to someone in a few months, but i want to know, HOW do you pass one on?

Hi, FightingDrag,

Welcome to geocaching and the ART of trackables (travel bugs and geocoins)!

When you say "pass it on," do you mean move it from cache to cache, or are you wanting to adopt it over to someone else so they can own it?

The way the "Pay It Forward" adoptions work is that I will donate one of my coins, activate it, and then send you an email to "adopt" the coin. The coin will then change ownership from me to you. Once this is complete, I will place the coin in a cache and WITH ANY LUCK it will travel to you via geocaches and geocachers.

Make sense?

Shall I put you down for a coin?

The spirit of the "Pay It Forward" mission is that someday, at some point, you will have an extra geocoin lying around and be able to help out another new geocacher in his/her love of the sport. We were all new to geocaching once, and one of my first coins was a gift from someone in these forums who wanted nothing in return but did ask that I "pay it forward" someday.

Updated list...

7. FunkMaster-T (adoption will be sent to "HandsomeBoys" ) - adoption request sent on 29 July 2010!

10. Little Miss Muffet

11. Team Platypus

Updated list...

10. Little Miss Muffet

Ive got this one...

DSC01164.jpgDSC01165.jpg

This coin is especially true for young girls. My twins absolutely love this coin and I figured it was time to pass this forward to someone else. Enjoy the coin.

Adoption sent on 7/30/10

Classy perfection. Thank you, scificollector.

Second update of the morning! And a necessity, to reflect a really cool adoption.

**. Little Miss Muffet - adoption request send from scificollector on 30 July 2010

10. Team Platypus

11. Zwack_(I.E.'s)

Updated list...

10. Little Miss Muffet

Ive got this one...

DSC01164.jpgDSC01165.jpg

This coin is especially true for young girls. My twins absolutely love this coin and I figured it was time to pass this forward to someone else. Enjoy the coin.

Adoption sent on 7/30/10

Classy perfection. Thank you, scificollector.

Thank you scificollector! You have made our day! I will pay it forward probably in Nov. (the NC Fall Fling is near our house this year.) I'm hoping to collect some goodies there.

Updated list...

10. Little Miss Muffet

11. Team Platypus

Adoption request received and accepted :shocked: . Thank you sooo very much. This is my first geocoin, so it is very exciting. And the fact that it is a guitar :laughing: . My daughter plays violin and music is a big thing around here. So it was the perfect coin to adopt.

Thanks from DrGreenLeaf and family.

10. Team Platypus

Great. Thank you very much! :laughing:

i'd love to adopt a coin or two! i just got started geocaching. not to sound like a choosy begger, but something sci-fi or astronomy oriented would be really cool, but anything would be awesome! thanks!

Awesome, another Sci-fi/astronomy lover.

JUST got into geocaching.

WOULD LOVE A COIN!!!!

ill probably pass it on to someone in a few months, but i want to know, HOW do you pass one on?

Hi, FightingDrag,

Welcome to geocaching and the ART of trackables (travel bugs and geocoins)!

When you say "pass it on," do you mean move it from cache to cache, or are you wanting to adopt it over to someone else so they can own it?

The way the "Pay It Forward" adoptions work is that I will donate one of my coins, activate it, and then send you an email to "adopt" the coin. The coin will then change ownership from me to you. Once this is complete, I will place the coin in a cache and WITH ANY LUCK it will travel to you via geocaches and geocachers.

Make sense?

Shall I put you down for a coin?

The spirit of the "Pay It Forward" mission is that someday, at some point, you will have an extra geocoin lying around and be able to help out another new geocacher in his/her love of the sport. We were all new to geocaching once, and one of my first coins was a gift from someone in these forums who wanted nothing in return but did ask that I "pay it forward" someday.

would love one sent to me this way, then ill probably pass it on to another person once it gets to me.

:laughing:

Yes, people are still doing this! Update to reflect most recent requests. I'll wait a few more days before sending out any adoption requests. If your name is on my list, please know that a coin is waiting for you.

**. Little Miss Muffet - adoption request send from scificollector on 30 July 2010

10. Team Platypus

11. Zwack_(I.E.'s)

12. Team 5150

13. pacman529

14. FightingDrag

So, this might seem like an odd question, but once your 20 are gone who will keep track of more adoption requests? Presumably there will be another 20 people paying it forward at some point, and...

I'm not suggesting that you should keep track of this for everyone, just curious as to how it might work.

Z. (already looking for a suitable coin to pay it forward with)

Edited by Zwack_(I.E.'s)

Zwack,

This is a good question you've posed, and I can only give you my answer.

The "Pay It Forward" idea is an honor system. Anyone can come in here and request a coin, and the "giver" of the coin can adopt out coins as he/she desires.

When I offered my 20 coins, I read through this entire thread, since Tennessee Jed's first post back in November 2009. I decided that my coins should go to first-time requests, or at least those who have not yet received a coin through THIS thread. I also wanted to keep it very simple: I select the coins to share; the receivers of the coins don't get to choose, and the coins I adopt out come with no expectations for the geocachers. The coin becomes THEIR coin, and I don't think it's fair for me to keep track of someone else's coin, or who pays it back soonest, etc.

In short, the coin I adopt to you will be yours. If you choose to come back to these threads and offer coins, or give an update as to where your coin has traveled, that's up to you as the owner. Same goes for everyone who has received a coin from anyone in these forums.

It's an honor system. I assume people ask honestly (one coin at a time, and only one coin). I give honestly and completely, without expectation. I HOPE that some will pay it forward to someone else someday.

I know other people have donated coins through this thread - perhaps they would like to weigh in and answer your question?

I've included the very first post from this thread, for anyone new to read.

Because a similar thread was very popular for a few days, I thought I would begin another one. The intent of this thread is to continue through the holidays but it can continue as long as it survives.

The premise is that those who have extra activated geocoins that may be doubles, coins that are no longer wanted, coins that will not sell or released coins someone does not want to keep track of, etc... For whatever reason, adopt them to someone who wants to see their own coin travel.

All you have to do is adopt the coin to someone in this thread who wants one and release it yourself. If this thread survives individuals can always participate and maybe companies that have extra coins with a certain prefix can also join.

To start this out I will donate the first twenty coins then maybe someone can donate a few more.

Zwack,

This is a good question you've posed, and I can only give you my answer.

Thank you,

I guess my point is in part that initially I will be paying it forward with a single coin and that while you are doing a great job of keeping track of the requests, it does not seem right that you should have to keep track of the incoming requests for ever, even if they are being fulfilled by random other people.

I'm not sure what the best way of doing this would be, but I feel that there must be a way. :ph34r:

Z.

Thank you,

I guess my point is in part that initially I will be paying it forward with a single coin and that while you are doing a great job of keeping track of the requests, it does not seem right that you should have to keep track of the incoming requests for ever, even if they are being fulfilled by random other people.

I'm not sure what the best way of doing this would be, but I feel that there must be a way. :ph34r:

Z.

Like Tennessee Jed said, "...as long as this thread survives." When I first visited the forums, there was no "Pay It Forward" adoption thread. I didn't participate until recently. I think that people will pay it forward when they can, and a few who receive adoptions will attempt to do the same when they are able. I think as long as people have spare coins, and as long as there are newbies, this thread just might have a chance!

I guess keeping track of who received what isn't as important to me as helping out people who like coins and would like the hope of receiving one via geocaches and geocachers.

You could keep track. :D