Geocaching 10th Anniversary CITO

majormajor42

first, reposting what I wrote a little while ago on a thread in the geocoin forum:

"I've only been caching for two years. While 2000 doesn't really seem that long ago, it seems like an eternity by caching standards. I just did some caches from 2001 and I felt like an archeologist going through those log books. So, what if, in addition to other events going on, geocachers gather in some way at active caches as they celebrate their 10th anniversaries? It could be a CITO event, or it doesn't even have to be an official event. Just cachers gathering around the cache at noon on the anniversary day. Might be cool.

for those who's curiosities are now piqued, I just looked up the oldest in NY. the bookmark list for that cache has many other very old caches on it.

12 Nov 00: Sleepy Hollow-1. November 12, 2010. I hope I'm not working that day :laughing: "

So is this a good idea for a whole series of CITO events?

Would I place a CITO event coordinate right on top of an existing cache or at a nearby trashy area?

Some cache 10th anniversaries will not be on weekends. Are non-weekend CITO events just as succesful or should it be less true to the birthday idea and just schedule it on the closest weekend?

I just visited a hilltop cache from 2001 yesterday. There is a lot of graffiti nearby. I'm afraid that painting over graffiti is an act of vandalism itself. Do CITO events ever bother with graffiti?

I'm not working the weekend of April 24-25th. Maybe that will be a good opportunity to attend or even host my first CITO event and answer a lot of other questions (in addition to reading the stickies in this forum).

Given the three-month lead time for events, look for a CITO event hosted by me at Sleep Hollow, NY, posted in August for next November. I, of course, would be thrilled if others pick up on this idea (maybe others have already considered it, it's a big forum) if the conventional wisdom here thinks it is reasonable.

What a cool idea, majormajor42.

Some cache 10th anniversaries will not be on weekends. Are non-weekend CITO events just as succesful or should it be less true to the birthday idea and just schedule it on the closest weekend?
If it were me, I would opt for the closest weekend to maximize attendance.

thanks for the props MissJenn. Now that 10 years is almost upon us I can't wait for all this snow to melt and begin the 2010 caching season. So, I now see that many of this years official CITO events have been scheduled for Earth Day weekend. I'm hoping to attend the closest event to me in Northern NJ.

Then, if my partner in life and caching is up for it, maybe a trip up to the Finger Lakes for the 10 anniversary of THE SPOT on Memorial Day Weekend. gonna send the owner an email to see if they have any interest. Also hope to find out from them, or other cachers in that area, if there is a particular area, within a mile or two of the cache, that actually needs a little CITO attention.

wish me luck

THE SPOT's 10th Birthday CITO

and later this year

SLEEPY HOLLOW-1's 10th Birthday CITO