Sign in to follow this  
Followers 27
avroair

Multi Event Idea

A cacher from the Czech Republic approached me about doing a 10 Years of Geocaching Multi Event, with... what's new... a coin of course. Event would be May 2nd, 2010 and celebrates the turning off of Selective Availability, basically allowing geocaching to happen.

Avroair

The-Multi-Man

<Moderator edit to change the date, at OP's request.>

Edited by Eartha

A cacher from the Czech Republic approached me about doing a 10 Years of Geocaching Multi Event, with... what's new... a coin of course. Event would be May 2nd, 2010 and celebrates the turning off of Selective Availability, basically allowing geocaching to happen.

Avroair

The-Multi-Man

Sounds really interesting.

Since i had issues trying to be involved with the 9-9-9 in my area i would love to be involved with this.

I would gladly host one in Idaho or Oregon since i am on the border.

Idaho would be my first choice.

Thanks for taking this on if you do.

Mike

Edited by Eartha

I would love to host one!

And...

May 1st is on a Saturday!!!!

Edited by MustangJoni

It does sound like fun to me. For Joni its doubly a birthday event!!

Not for me. My birthday is in October. Close to the 10/10/10 event.

I would gladly host one in Idaho or Oregon since i am on the border.

Idaho would be my first choice.

Maybe GEOregon would be open to the idea of hosting an Oregon event, I will ask them. Certainly having the first geocache ever placed nearby would make the Portland, metro area a logical location for one of these celebrations. :laughing:

Edited by ThePetersTrio

We'll be holding a Mega Event here in Atlantic Canada to celebrate the 10th anniversary of geocaching in Canada. The first cache was placed June 28 in East River, Nova Scotia, but the Mega will be on July 10, 2010. There will, of course, be coins. :laughing:

I don't know if anyone will be up to organizing an event in May, since the Mega is taking all our time at the moment!

For more info on our event, please visit:

http://maritimemega.ca

The first announcement about the event coin should be coming soon.

E&Cplus3

Treasurer

Maritime Mega Organizing Committee

I've only been caching for two years. While 2000 doesn't really seem that long ago, it seems like an eternity by caching standards. I just did some caches from 2001 and I felt like an archeologist going through those log books. So, what if, in addition to other events going on, geocachers gather in some way at active caches as they celebrate their 10th anniversaries? It could be a CITO event, or it doesn't even have to be an official event. Just cachers gathering around the cache at noon on the anniversary day. Might be cool.

for those who's curiosities are now piqued, I just looked up the oldest in NY. the bookmark list for that cache has many other very old caches on it.

12 Nov 00: Sleepy Hollow-1. November 12, 2010. I hope I'm not working that day :laughing:

This sounds like a great idea! I think there would be a lot of people interested in this Event. Come on, Joni, let's see what Texas can do!

A cacher from the Czech Republic approached me about doing a 10 Years of Geocaching Multi Event, with... what's new... a coin of course. Event would be May 1st, 2010 and celebrates the turning off of Selective Availability, basically allowing geocaching to happen.

Avroair

The-Multi-Man

Hi Mark

I was allready working on an event for that purpose. Off course i'm interested in a multicoin also.

Please count me in.

Paulo aka PLnauta

A cacher from the Czech Republic approached me about doing a 10 Years of Geocaching Multi Event, with... what's new... a coin of course. Event would be May 1st, 2010 and celebrates the turning off of Selective Availability, basically allowing geocaching to happen.

Avroair

The-Multi-Man

Hi Mark

I was allready working on an event for that purpose. Off course i'm interested in a multicoin also.

Please count me in.

Paulo aka PLnauta

Paulo, it's good to see you :) I wrote you months ago and never heard back from you. Glad to see you posting :)

I think 10 years is a nice milestone, I may consider a Helena event unless Kalispell hosts one, than I will go up there for theirs :laughing:

tsun

Sounds like fun. :laughing: The 999 event & coin went over very well here. Perhaps SLAGA would like to sponsor a coin for this event as well. :) Put me on the list. :)

CF30

We'll be holding a Mega Event here in Atlantic Canada to celebrate the 10th anniversary of geocaching in Canada. The first cache was placed June 28 in East River, Nova Scotia, but the Mega will be on July 10, 2010. There will, of course, be coins. :)

I don't know if anyone will be up to organizing an event in May, since the Mega is taking all our time at the moment!

E&Cplus3

Treasurer

I said multi not mega, but thanks for the plug anyways! :laughing:

So, what if, in addition to other events going on

Certainly a cool idea, the event organization is usually down to the event host... we could have ours along the Ironhorse at Project APE... I believe that's the first day the trail opens to the public! :laughing:

Sounds like fun - put me down as interested...:laughing:

I love to do one up north (Barrie), maybe do a common Ontario coin with regional events ELTADA :)

Shadow's Friend and I are willing to do one in the St. Paul. The 9-9-9 was fun.

I'm glad Seattle is somewhat of a hub for geocaching and there are so many amazing/beautiful/smart/fun people here. This sounds like fun!

Sounds like fun - put me down as interested...:laughing:

I love to do one up north (Barrie), maybe do a common Ontario coin with regional events ELTADA :)

Oooo...good idea! :)

We'll be holding a Mega Event here in Atlantic Canada to celebrate the 10th anniversary of geocaching in Canada. The first cache was placed June 28 in East River, Nova Scotia, but the Mega will be on July 10, 2010. There will, of course, be coins. :)

E&Cplus3

Treasurer

I said multi not mega, but thanks for the plug anyways! :)

IF it IS a multi, and there is enough cachers participating, Could it be considered a "mega" :):laughing:

The 9-9-9 was a blast, so I'll note my interest :)

Hello...pardner! :) you are fast on the draw!

Joint hosts GG ? :laughing:

IF it IS a multi, and there is enough cachers participating, Could it be considered a "mega" :):laughing:

No. It's not one physical location... besides I would rather have 50 versions of a geocoin rather than just 1. :)

No. It's not one physical location... besides I would rather have 50 versions of a geocoin rather than just 1. :)

TRUE :) !

Do you have any Swiss people interested?

I was really considering hosting a local event in spring to finally gather the cachers (we haven't had any event around here since 1st August 2007...)

That would be the perfect opportunity, but seeing that I have absolutely no experience in events (neither attending nor hosting, it is very poor here in that matter) I would need a lot of info!

Please let me know how to do it, how big, what type of place, what type of organisation needed, what type of animation, what exactly could be done on such a huge anniversary (and how).

<<looking around>>

SC checking in. Myrtle Beach area. AG? Are you interested?

Oh.. thanks Avroair!

Yeah there will be one here. Mark asked me about this last night before his cellphone went dead and hung up on me.

Want to cohost again?

Edited by AtlantaGal

<<looking around>>

SC checking in. Myrtle Beach area. AG? Are you interested?

Oh.. thanks Avroair!

Yeah there will be one here. Mark asked me about this last night before his cellphone went dead and hung up on me.

Want to cohost again?

I'd LOVE to! I didn't think you'd ever ask! :P

I can host one in NY.

a nice big place with rv parking?

ILYK

besides I would rather have 50 versions of a geocoin rather than just 1. :)

who is working on the geocoin design? i have some ideas for a FANTASTIC geocoin for this event, although it might be a bit more expensive to produce than most small round geocoins.

From the Netherlands. I will try to get some help and organise an event near Nijmegen.

Ruud4d

besides I would rather have 50 versions of a geocoin rather than just 1. :)

who is working on the geocoin design? i have some ideas for a FANTASTIC geocoin for this event, although it might be a bit more expensive to produce than most small round geocoins.

Send me any ideas, that's what JackalGirl did for the 999.

Starting work on this, anyone keeping tabs on who is in from where? AG where are you?

Starting work on this, anyone keeping tabs on who is in from where? AG where are you?

That's exactly what I want to know... AG? Where are you? :huh:

This will be my 1st event and have many ideas, when anyone has their event published can you let us know, i would love to see what some of your ideas are.