Multi Event Idea

avroair

I just want one coin. Mainly because I already know that I will be unavailable to GO to an event, and I can't host one myself.

:D

You should come visit us in Dallas!

I can't. Otherwise I'd be tempted. See, I am a high school coach for my quiz bowl and science bowl team. I am also a coordinator for a middle school level science bowl tournament. If my team wins state, I go to the national tournament as a coach. If they don't win, I go as a coordinator and get my tail worked off for 5 days. (I prefer to go as a coach by the way)

The dates on that national tournament? April 30th through May 4th....so no event for me. (My birthday is also during this week. so I don't know when the last time I was home during my birthday, but then again, a free trip to Washington, DC is always nice.)

Nice design. Should it also include the geocaching logo since that is what this coin is about so it only makes sense. Perhaps where the satellite is.

On what day officially is the 10th anniversary of geocaching?

May 1 - a number of sights on the net say this

May 2 - GC.com site says this in their history

May 3 - first cache "stash" was hidden

May 30 - The term geocaching was first suggested.

I would lean towards including the entire date instead of just the month.

Nice design. Should it also include the geocaching logo since that is what this coin is about so it only makes sense. Perhaps where the satellite is.

May 2 was the day Selective Availability was lifted. From that date geocaching was made possible.

It took a while untill geocaching.com was born which came with the logo. There are more sites about geocaching.

So in my opinion the logo is not necessary on the coin and the satelite is.

Satelite against compass depicts nicely the way we used to navigate and the way we navigate now.

I like it as it is.

Maybe we could have another coin celebrating 10 years of Groundspeak/Geocaching.com? :D

i was thinking that too last night, but i was trying to figure out how to best incorporated as to not completely loose the current design which is really nice

perhaps the separate squares from the logo can be put in the four corners within the inner larger circle

Here are my 2 cents (if that is really worth anything)

On the front I don't really like the fleur de lis. I think it needs something there but not sure what. Also take out multi event and put in May 2000.

On the flip side instead of world wide put in Multi event. I agree that the geocaching logo should be somewhere after all it does say 10 years of Geocaching. Possibly it could go over the X where the rays are now. To fit the scheme it would look best round and not square. Or even the four points of the compass could each be 1/4 of the logo or just the color of the logo.

Also it needs a bigger switch :D

What ever coin is made I hope that we can shop around and get the best possible pricing! Vendors continue the lobbying! :D

Edited by LadyBee4T

Yes but since we are celebrating 10 years of geocaching - not simply creating a coin to commemorate it's creation - and not everyone is holding their events on the exact same say (ex: 999 events had to be on 09/09/09) having an exact date on a multi event coin would exclude some people... :D

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Love the gold color version and styling. I do prefer that it just says May 2010. Our Central Oregon event will be May 1 since Saturday events are preferred by many cachers.

So how exactly is this coin going to work? I know some of these things may have been discussed in the thread, but there are so many responses now that I doubt I'd read through them all before the event gets here!

Will someone sell them online and we can send the cachers there themselves to buy? or do we buy them in bulk from whoever mints it and resell it at our own event or ??

Thanks for any help!

So how exactly is this coin going to work? I know some of these things may have been discussed in the thread, but there are so many responses now that I doubt I'd read through them all before the event gets here!

Will someone sell them online and we can send the cachers there themselves to buy? or do we buy them in bulk from whoever mints it and resell it at our own event or ??

Thanks for any help!

For the 9-9-9 multi events each event host individualized their event coin by picking colors and metal finishes for the common artwork. We then bought them in bulk with a minimum amount ordered and then sold them at our events. The coins weren't sold before the event. I would assume that something like that would also work for this multi event coin.

Thanks for any help!

For the 9-9-9 multi events each event host individualized their event coin by picking colors and metal finishes for the common artwork. We then bought them in bulk with a minimum amount ordered and then sold them at our events. The coins weren't sold before the event. I would assume that something like that would also work for this multi event coin.

Pretty much said what I was going to say in 500 less words than I would have. :)

For clarity's sake we are putting 10 Years of Geocaching: (city/state or country) on our event pages.

Revised artwork... the leaves and grass represent caching outdoors, keep in mind most of this would be under a translucent enamel. I am trying a different font for the writing and can already see a mistake on the bottom of the front. The colors represent layers and individual places where color can go.

88376ec9-1ad2-4138-b8e7-deb78d21c0fa.jpg

Edited by avroair

WOW! I am really loving how the coin is starting to look! Excellent!

One thing I am wondering, is there some other text that could be put on the inner circle on the back? The wording "10 Years of Geocaching" is on there three times (twice on the same side even). I don't have a brilliant suggestion in mind -- usually I don't point these things out unless I have an idea for a solution but with all the creative minds on this forum (not to mention the designer!) I thought someone might have a suggestion.

One thing I am wondering, is there some other text that could be put on the inner circle on the back? The wording "10 Years of Geocaching" is on there three times (twice on the same side even). I don't have a brilliant suggestion in mind -- usually I don't point these things out unless I have an idea for a solution but with all the creative minds on this forum (not to mention the designer!) I thought someone might have a suggestion.

Unfortunately my idea would raise the expense and the number of coins we would have to get but my idea would be to put in our event location

Unfortunately my idea would raise the expense and the number of coins we would have to get but my idea would be to put in our event location

I think I'm okay without that. It would just add too much expense to the coin.

Hi Everyone!

I have offered to assist avroair with the administration of the group geocoin for the 10 Years of Geocaching Multi-Event. I am working on a basic website that will provide all the information and resources needed for each participant to select their colours and order their coins.

If you would like to participate in this group coin project*, please send me an email to geocacher.eltada at gmail dot com with your name, geonik and your email address (that you would like me to correspond with you at). I will also have a spot to record the list of event cache pages for those involved so if and when you have your cache approved, you may send me the link.

Sometime this weekend, I will send out invitations to access the website. At that time, participants may begin to select their platings and colours which will be due about a week or so later.

*Please Note: participation in this project is optional -- there is no requirement to order coins if you are planning an event related to the 10 Years of Geocaching. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Groundspeak is planning their own coin and will be supporting the multi-events in some way (with details coming later this month or in March) -- see post #108. You are welcome to plan an event but not participate in the group geocoin project.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I will try my best to answer them.

Thanks!

ELTADA

I kind of agree with it Eltada about the 10 years being used twice on the back. I really liked the first coin back that had 'world wide' on it instead of multi'event. It kind of brings us all together like the events. Maybe put world wide back on the the backside and in the small circle put 'multi event' there instead of the 10 years?

Just a thought.

Edited by cache_in_hand

I kind of agree with it Eltada about the 10 years being used twice on the back. I really liked the first coin back that had 'world wide' on it instead of multi'event. It kind of brings us all together like the events. Maybe put world wide back on the the backside and in the small circle put 'multi event' there instead of the 10 years?

Just a thought.

Nice. Email sent.

PL

A cacher from the Czech Republic approached me about doing a 10 Years of Geocaching Multi Event, with... what's new... a coin of course. Event would be May 2nd, 2010 and celebrates the turning off of Selective Availability, basically allowing geocaching to happen.

Avroair

The-Multi-Man

<Moderator edit to change the date, at OP's request.>

I would love an event up here in Illinois. have a get together of all the geocahcers up here go to lunch or something and spend all day geocaching.