Multi Event Idea

avroair

The ten years of geocaching multi-events are going to happen a bit differently than other multi-events.

"Groundspeak is going to be a part of it and more news will come in mid March."

So does this mean no coin? :)

Nope, Groundspeak are working on a coin.

But is it going to be a Multi-Event coin? Where each Event host may choose their colors & finishes? Or just a Generic coin?

CF30

The ten years of geocaching multi-events are going to happen a bit differently than other multi-events.

So does this mean no coin? <_<

But is it going to be a Multi-Event coin? Where each Event host may choose their colors & finishes? Or just a Generic coin?

CF30

I was wondering the same.

So does this mean no coin? <_<

CF30

My uneducated guess would be that if Groundspeak is working on a coin then it will be generic so they can sell it. :D Of course maybe there would be limited editions that we could choose our own colors for each event. :rolleyes:

So does this mean no coin? :D

CF30

My uneducated guess would be that if Groundspeak is working on a coin then it will be generic so they can sell it. :rolleyes: Of course maybe there would be limited editions that we could choose our own colors for each event. :rolleyes:

Well who the heck says we cannot make a group Multi-Event coin?!? <_< Groundspeak can make their own coin & sell it. Why in the world can we not make one where we can choose our finishes & colors? A generic coin would be B-O-R-I-N-G!!! And I, for one, would not try to peddle it at MY Event!

CF30

So does this mean no coin? :D

CF30

My uneducated guess would be that if Groundspeak is working on a coin then it will be generic so they can sell it. :rolleyes: Of course maybe there would be limited editions that we could choose our own colors for each event. :rolleyes:

Well who the heck says we cannot make a group Multi-Event coin?!? <_< Groundspeak can make their own coin & sell it. Why in the world can we not make one where we can choose our finishes & colors? A generic coin would be B-O-R-I-N-G!!! And I, for one, would not try to peddle it at MY Event!

CF30

I agree--there is no reason we couldn't have a group coin for our multi events. I don't want to sell a generic coin at my event either.

"Groundspeak is going to be a part of it and more news will come in mid March.”

Mid March. I suppose Groundspeak knows that it takes time to organize an event. In what way are they gonna be part of it? Are they contacting us? Or do we have to contact them? Or will they organize their own event?

What is going to happen?

And the part about the coin is said by others already.

Although we have not figured out all of the details at this point, we are working through them now and will provide them asap. Asap should be around the end of February or early March.

The basic plan is for Groundspeak to help support 10th Anniversary Multi Events in some capacity. We have some ideas and will share them asap. There is no requirement to participate and you are welcome to host 10th Anniversary multi-events as you see fit (within guidelines of course).

As far as coins are conceerned, Groundspeak will be producing a multi-event coin which will be available in Shop Groundspeak. Everyone is certainly welcome to make their own coins as well.

If you are organizing an event, please consider using the following naming convention for your event name:

10 Years! (Location)

Examples:

10 Years! (Chicago, IL)

10 Years! (Seattle, WA)

There will be some other minor requirements including:

Minimum of 10 Attendees (no personal events in your living room)

No Flash Mob style events

Group photo

That's all I have for now. I hope this helps.

Edited on 2-17-2010 to update naming convension for event listings.

Edited by Bryan
*snip*

As far as coins are conceerned, Groundspeak will be producing a multi-event coin which will be available in Shop Groundspeak. Everyone is certainly welcome to make their own coins as well.

*snip*

So again I ask: Is this going to be one coin, one finish, one color scheme Or is it going to be a coin that participants may choose their finish & color scheme? ;)

CF30

Ok so now that Bryan has confirmed what we suspected re: geocoin (that it won't be a group coin), anyone interested in moving ahead with our own as already planned?

Mark - are you not wanting to do a group coin anymore? Did you receive any potential designs that could still be used?

If this is going to happen, we'll have to move quick to get them done in time...

*snip*

*snip*

So again I ask: Is this going to be one coin, one finish, one color scheme Or is it going to be a coin that participants may choose their finish & color scheme? ;)

CF30

I guess I posted at the same time as you CF30 but my interpretation is that it will just be one colour scheme/metal that will be sold in their shop. Nothing customized...

But that was just my assumption...

If you are organizing an event, please consider using the following naming convention for your event name:

10 Years of Geocaching (City Name, State/Province or Country)

for example:

10 Years of Geocaching (Seattle, Washington)

or

10 Years of Geocaching (Seattle, USA)

Even if you don't live in an English-speaking country?

Can't even give my event a French name?

I have to rewrite some parts of my listing, then.

*snip*

*snip*

CF30

I believe that the coin Groundspeak sells will not be customizable, although it may come in different finishes.

I am willing to help produce a customizable coin for this Multi-Event. I would need someone to organize the details and between the two of us we can come up with a design. I do have some ideas for the design but between my regular job, life and geocaching, I don't have time to organize the details for such an event.

Contact me if you are interseted in organizing the event coin.

Mike

Although we have not figured out all of the details at this point, we are working through them now and will provide them asap. Asap should be around the end of February or early March.

The basic plan is for Groundspeak to help support 10th Anniversary Multi Events in some capacity. We have some ideas and will share them asap. There is no requirement to participate and you are welcome to host 10th Anniversary multi-events as you see fit (within guidelines of course).

for example:

or

Group photo

Can the Multi event be either on the 1st or 2nd? Here Saturdays are much more popular for events and the location is booked.........

*snip*

*snip*

CF30

We are free to do whatever coin we want. Groundspeak is just letting us know that they are helping to coordinate the multievents.

for example:

or

Group photo

Can the Multi event be either on the 1st or 2nd? Here Saturdays are much more popular for events and the location is booked.........

Yep. 1st or 2nd, up to the organizer.

Sorry for any confusion... I realized I had answered two questions in one sentence and the answer was a misleading double negative... So to turn this back to a double positive...

(1) Groundspeak is producing a 10th anniversary coin.

(2) This has no bearing or connection to any multi-event coin we are interested in doing.

Anyone still interested in producing a multi-event coin?

Mark

Avroair

;)

Sorry for any confusion... I realized I had answered two questions in one sentence and the answer was a misleading double negative... So to turn this back to a double positive...

(2) This has no bearing or connection to any multi-event coin we are interested in doing.

Mark

Avroair

;)

Ok whew! Glad that's cleared up!

Yes, I am definitely interested in a multi-event coin (depending on the design of course!).

Mark

Avroair

;)

Count me in ;)

Mark

Avroair

;)

Ok whew! Glad that's cleared up!

Yes, I am definitely interested in a multi-event coin (depending on the design of course!).

Yes, yes, yes, I am (and many cachers from Czech republic are) interested in a multi-event coin ;)

Mark

Avroair

;)

YEP

I'm in for the coin ofcourse! :lostsignal:

I was wondering if a translated event title is acceptable?

10 Years of Geocaching (Nijmegen, Netherlands) would become 10 Jaar Geocachen (Nijmegen, Nederland).

I'm all for the coin as well.

And I asked roughly the same question and no one answered, so I wonder if this time someone will :)

Interesting idea but I don't think it fits the occasion.

Here is a concept I was thinking about. I would like to see a coin that shows a celebration. Banners, party hats, or even a birthday cake in Groundspeak colors. I would like to see on it things that directly represent this sport of ours. You know---the gps, satellite with a switch LOL compass rose and stuff like that. I especially like the switch :lostsignal: Around the edge "10 Years of Geocaching" and the dates. There could be recessed images with translucent enamel and those colors could be individualized....

Edited by LadyBee4T

I think the art is great, but I don't really care for it for this event.

I would like to see something that notes the 10th anniversary.

The cow might be good for the coin that folks are talking about for a trade coin at Geowoodstock.

The artwork was just an example not what I think we should do.

Replace the words with 10th Anniversary of Geocaching and the cow with Geocaching logo. On the back to something else. I was just thinking of the medallion like 10th Anniversary thing.

Like I said before I am willing to work with someone who wants to organize the details. Contact me.

i'm not having an event,

but I have an Idea ...

a number 10 Big like a mountain, with an ammo box on the top and a overlap hand holding a GPS towards the bottom.

I do like that idea. Though I'd really love to see a switch...

A satellite in the sky with a switch over the #10 mtn and the ammo can. :lostsignal::)

On the reverse a party like atmosphere!!

(I do like a switch too....)

I think the art is great, but I don't really care for it for this event.

I would like to see something that notes the 10th anniversary.

The cow might be good for the coin that folks are talking about for a trade coin at Geowoodstock.

The artwork was just an example not what I think we should do.

Replace the words with 10th Anniversary of Geocaching and the cow with Geocaching logo. On the back to something else. I was just thinking of the medallion like 10th Anniversary thing.

Like I said before I am willing to work with someone who wants to organize the details. Contact me.

I'm willing to work with you.

I know that there are others out there with some ideas they are tossing around. Post your concepts/ideas here or email me if you like. No need to be an artist as we can always find somebody who can put out ideas to paper.

Was kicking around an idea... so the front would have a compass looking design the back would feature satellites since it's selective availability (not for the coin!) that we are celebrating... this is basic artwork with little or no colors added in. X is 10 for Roman, which is cool. the 'rays' represent the 'signal' you get. The compass in the middle represents you as the GPS user finding your way. The fleur de lis was on Lewis and Clark's compass so it represents here adventure and exploring. :D

c7f2fc59-c91f-44ad-8e37-80ed85229e65.jpg

Was kicking around an idea... so the front would have a compass looking design the back would feature satellites since it's selective availability (not for the coin!) that we are celebrating... this is basic artwork with little or no colors added in. X is 10 for Roman, which is cool. the 'rays' represent the 'signal' you get. The compass in the middle represents you as the GPS user finding your way. The fleur de lis was on Lewis and Clark's compass so it represents here adventure and exploring. :D

Wow! I love it! :D

Cool art. When are you sending it out for quotes? :D

Cool art. When are you sending it out for quotes? :D

When are you hosting an event? :P

Cool art. When are you sending it out for quotes? :P

What does me hosting an event have to do with the coin art? :D

Cool art. When are you sending it out for quotes? :P

What does me hosting an event have to do with the coin art? :D

What all is going to be customizable on this coin?

I would love to see a competitive price on this coin. I'd love to be able to buy more than 50.

So far we have events being planned in Iowa,Idaho,Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, Oregon, Florida, Montana, Missouri, South Carolina, Minnesota, Washington, New York, New Jersey, Colorado, Maine, Illinois and Michigan in the United States.

Australia, Portugal, Ontario, Montreal, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Abu Dhabi, Germany, Czech Republic and Switzerland

Did I miss anyone???

I am aware many states and countries are having more than 1 event, that is a good thing, more people attending= more people aware of geocaching!!

Ontario is a huge province, i'm sure there will be more than one city hosting events

i'll check with the "usual suspects" here and will have something going in Kitchener/waterloo/cambridge/guelph

could possibly cover a wider area

Ok... :D but my event is going to be held on May 1st... :D

CF30

Shall I put May 2010?

Hmmm... Not sure... What does everyone else say? :P I'll go along with the majority & stop making waves... maybe... :P

Edit to add: Tho if not all events will be held on May 2nd and they won't I suppose it shouldn't have a date specified.

And I do like the design. ;)

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30