Mythical Creature Encounter

Roadtorque

When searching though our New Zealand bush for a cache I'm sure I saw the often talked about but rarely seen " Red Headed, Double Breasted, Bed Thrasher" . A site to behold.

Been deer hunting here,Saw alot of wolf track's this week.Makes ya look behind quite often.even had fresh track's in my own footprint's!! :)

In my pre-geocaching days I was walking in Derbyshire's Peak District, in England, and took a liquid lunch at a pub. Soon after leaving the pub I saw a pair of wallabies!! My first thought was, "Wow that's good beer!" I later discovered that they were from a feral population that had started after some escaped from a zoo during the Second World War.

Since starting geocaching my wildest encounter has been a rabbit, but he was mean looking :rolleyes:

In my pre-geocaching days I was walking in Derbyshire's Peak District, in England, and took a liquid lunch at a pub. Soon after leaving the pub I saw a pair of wallabies!! My first thought was, "Wow that's good beer!" I later discovered that they were from a feral population that had started after some escaped from a zoo during the Second World War.

Since starting geocaching my wildest encounter has been a rabbit, but he was mean looking :rolleyes:

Rabbits can be dangerous. Just ask Monty Python. :P

Well I didn't see it but my 2 1/2 year old son (Wolf's song) saw a ghost when we were doing a cemetery cache. He pointed across a field and asked “that grandma?” Only as far as I could tell there was no one there. Gave me goosebumps. Does that count?

Great story! Nothing that cool has happened to me or the daughter yet.

Was caching in Arizona last month and actually got chased by a skunk. Had to leave the cache site with all the contents of the cache laying around, my backpack, water, GPSr, and everything in place to get away... little bugger gave a good chase. Got out of range within about 2 or 3 minutes, but sat on a rock and collected my thoughts and enjoyed the view while waiting about 30 minutes before returning to put everything back together and get my stuff and head to the next cache! :laughing:

Was caching in Arizona last month and actually got chased by a skunk. Had to leave the cache site with all the contents of the cache laying around, my backpack, water, GPSr, and everything in place to get away... little bugger gave a good chase. Got out of range within about 2 or 3 minutes, but sat on a rock and collected my thoughts and enjoyed the view while waiting about 30 minutes before returning to put everything back together and get my stuff and head to the next cache! :laughing:

Must have been baby skunks nearby. Them critters can get pretty defensive/offensive when they have younguns.

Was caching in a cemetery the other day approaching GZ when I heard a noise behind a tombstone. When I turned around there was a rather large black and white sheep dog acting strange. He started approaching me with his head low to the ground and tail low. I has my walking stick with me so I pointed the stick toward him and swung it slow in front of him to keep him away.When I'm out caching I always take a walking stick with me just in case I need to dig around or chase off animals. Nothing happened between us on this day. Long story short, after I got home to log my visits for the day when reading the cache logs others have described that the dog is a local that watches over the area. Guess I should have read the cache page prior to visiting the area to be aware of what to expect.

I was paced while caching in the woods at night. When I stopped so did the pacer. It's footfalls were different than mine and would last a step or two after I would stop. Having spent six years in the army I knew that it was definitely not my imagination on a dark night getting the better of me.

It was kinda creepy but fun too as it got the adrenal glands going. :laughing:

Just east of Rhinelander, WI is a cache called Rhinelapus. Very interesting. Near the intersection of HWY 45 and 8.

As far as encounters, more tracks then anything. Bobcat once. Bear and wolf tracks are fairly common while cacheing in Northern Wisconsin. Yet I did have one strange encounter. While logging a cache off a fire road in Northern Wisconsin, miles from anywhere, there was a very strange fighting type growling noise coming from off in the distance, about 50-60 yards away. Didn't have the courage to go check it out and spent a lot of time looking over my shoulder on the long hike out.

I was paced while caching in the woods at night. When I stopped so did the pacer. It's footfalls were different than mine and would last a step or two after I would stop. Having spent six years in the army I knew that it was definitely not my imagination on a dark night getting the better of me.

It was kinda creepy but fun too as it got the adrenal glands going. :P

Holy crap. I presume this was a four-legged pacer? Any idea what it was?

While out caching with my brother(Same day as this post) we were walking along this bridleway with thick bushes along one side,fields along the other.As we were walking from behind the bushes we heard a sort of deep cough which was spooky as when we looked it was clear there was noone there.A moment before we had been discussing lord of the rings(specifically comparing our small rations to lembas bread) so my immediate thought was that we were being followed by gollum or possibly a black rider! :unsure: