center geocaching maps around home coordinates

llama-power

Hi there,

everytime I try to access the geocaching map (http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx) the map is centered around a lake in Seattle. Since I, not unlike many other cachers out there, live and cache a long way from Seattle, the displayed information is basically worthless for me.

I would love to see the geocacing map to be centered around my (respectively every other geocachers) home coordinates. To top even that it would be great if we could get some sort of option that allows us to set our own default map settings, like center point, zoom level, cache types displayed, etc.

I'd love to read some comments on my idea (even though I can't believe no one else thought of it before)

thanks

llama-power

well, I am pretty sure that my coordinates are set correctly, since they are displayed in my account details. If I click onto that link the geocaching maps shows up centered on my home coordinates but if i follow the link "hide & seek a cache" -> "search with Google Maps" it is centered around Seattle again.

Anyways, I found that I can append ?lat=...&lng=... to the url/my bookmark. Therefore I'd consider this topic solved, even though I think the map should always center around the home coordinates.

Thanks!:laughing:

I think what you may be doing is using the map link on the "Hide and Seek" a cache page.

If your home coordinates are in your profile, click the "goto" to open that first local page, then click on "Google Maps" link near the top. It will center on your home coordinates. From that point, you can enlarge/shrink the map and scroll to where ever you want to. :laughing:

I have the same problem in that when I enter my postal code to determine my home coordinates, it goes to the TOWN I live in, not my actual postal code. It is very frustrating as it does this for any postal code. Often times, I want to use the postal code to cache at my parents, in-laws etc., but it takes a while to enter the postal code and then start moving the map around to find their actual neighbourhood.