Firmware Update COLORADO ver 3.10

bittsen

I see that this is not a beta version and can also be downloaded through Webupdater.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I wonder if it fixes any of the minor issues that the 3.02 beta introduced? (such as the pink tracklog and the lack of popup text displaying feature names when hovering over them with the cursor)

I see that this is not a beta version and can also be downloaded through Webupdater.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I wonder if it fixes any of the minor issues that the 3.02 beta introduced? (such as the pink tracklog and the lack of popup text displaying feature names when hovering over them with the cursor)

yes it seems that the pink tracklog issue is fixed. Popup, don't know.

Edited by Maingray

Thanks Garmin! Yes, the normal black, thin tracklog is back and so is the pop-up text displaying feature names when hovering over them with the cursor! I also like the custom mapping raster display now where it depends on map set resolution (I guess) to determine which zoom level a mapset is displayed.

Updated my Colorado 300 to the 3.10 firmware today and in the office it appeared great. Response times whilst zooming in and out, plus panning were great. However, jumped in the cache-mobile and within half a mile the GB Discoverer maps started breaking up! Half the screen was OS maps, the other was Raster Topo style... Then within a minute the unit crashed. I'm just downloading back to 3.00. My experience of this 3.10 release is of the same as the 3.02 beta: -

Don't touch it.

It's a

Bag of snot!

They changed the size of custom maps that are allowed.

My big custom map doesn't show now.

A message saying my map was too large and would not be displayed came up when i started it.

Does anyone know the new size limit of an individual map?

I found out on the Garmin forums, the maximum size is now 3MB per map.

Edited by Nozzletime

Yes, I saw this too. With the beta all my large jpgs worked in the kmz files on my CO 300. I was able to salvage my large ones thank goodness because they took some time to accurately reference. I found the jpg images are linked in Google Earth. I looked at the kmz properties to see where my jpgs were stored, and opened each jpg in a photo software to resize them to the specified max of 1024x1024 pixels (1,048,576 max).

For example one of mine had to be a max of 900x1165 pixels to display. Once I resized them I closed and reopened GE and the kmz files reflected the new reduced jpg size, and they remained referenced as before. I then copied/pasted them on my CO 300 to overwrite the previous map sets and all is well again. I do see reduced resolution in those I resized but they still display fine. A small price to pay for having such large geographic map coverage areas.

[Edit] Nozzletime, I saw your note, "I found out on the Garmin forums, the maximum size is now 3MB per map". This is not what I am seeing on my CO 300. I have 3 kmz files near 10Mb, although each individual jpg within the kmz I kept no larger than 1024x1024 pixels. In one I have seven images.

Edited by Timpat

Yes, I saw this too. With the beta all my large jpgs worked in the kmz files on my CO 300. I was able to salvage my large ones thank goodness because they took some time to accurately reference. I found the jpg images are linked in Google Earth. I looked at the kmz properties to see where my jpgs were stored, and opened each jpg in a photo software to resize them to the specified max of 1024x1024 pixels (1,048,576 max).

For example one of mine had to be a max of 900x1165 pixels to display. Once I resized them I closed and reopened GE and the kmz files reflected the new reduced jpg size, and they remained referenced as before. I then copied/pasted them on my CO 300 to overwrite the previous map sets and all is well again. I do see reduced resolution in those I resized but they still display fine. A small price to pay for having such large geographic map coverage areas.

[Edit] Nozzletime, I saw your note, "I found out on the Garmin forums, the maximum size is now 3MB per map". This is not what I am seeing on my CO 300. I have 3 kmz files near 10Mb, although each individual jpg within the kmz I kept no larger than 1024x1024 pixels. In one I have seven images.

My large map was 3072x2304(3.3MB), I guess I have to figure out how to cut it apart now.

My large map was 3072x2304(3.3MB), I guess I have to figure out how to cut it apart now.

Keep in mind that the limitation is in the image dimensions rather than file size. Anything under 1 megapixel (1024x1024) should do the trick. I haven't run into any filesize limitations, but all the images I've tried were only a few MB when cut into the proper size. I think that odd dimensions (512x2048) may work too as long as they don't have more than the maximum number of pixels, but I haven't tested this myself.

This firmware update has serious problems: repeated crashes using custom maps well within the size limits whenever navigating. No navigation, no problem. Custom maps off, no problem. Custom maps on and navigating (to waypoint, track, etc.)-->crash. Crash sometimes takes a minute or two. Then, in the middle of a screen redraw, screen fades out and unit turns off.

I did not have this problem before the upgrade. I have about 60 relatively small kmz files. I sent an e-mail to Garmin regarding the situation.

Edited by bikercr