Anyone know much about a Garmin Nuvi 205?

We found a great deal on a Garmin Nuvi 205 & like to know how well this could fit in with geocaching??

I saw where you can hook it up to your computer & can hold up to 1000 POI's. Does that mean we could load it from GSAK or something to load caches to it? Can a person put in Coords to it from it's Touch Screen?

Any & all info of how it could be used while caching would be great.

It is New still in the box, Never used & for what we saw the price on it, We're getting it at half the price

I have a nuvi 260, have done 150 caches on it, I always loaded my caches from the cache page. And yes you can put in coordinates manually on the touch screen. Go to where to/coordinates.

I eventually bought an Etrex Vista Hcx, The Nuvi's great to get started in cacheing, but now I use that to get to the parking area.

We found a great deal on a Garmin Nuvi 205 & like to know how well this could fit in with geocaching??

I saw where you can hook it up to your computer & can hold up to 1000 POI's. Does that mean we could load it from GSAK or something to load caches to it? Can a person put in Coords to it from it's Touch Screen?

It is New still in the box, Never used & for what we saw the price on it, We're getting it at half the price

You can load 10's of thousands, probably 100's of thousands of caches on the nuvi. I have over 3000 on mine right now (I have a 255w but the 205 can do the same). Yes you use GSAK and a macro to get them on there. Yes you can manually put the coordinates into the 205. There is one almighty website that you must see -

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html

This website will explain how to load caches onto your nuvi and how to use it most effectively (which settings to use) for geocaching.

The nuvi is great for geocaching (very accurate, easy to load caches onto) but has a few drawbacks.

1. it is not waterproof/shockproof

2. it does not have a lanyard on it to put around your wrist/neck (though I attached one to mine)

3. it only has a 4-5 hour battery life (though you can buy adapters that take AA's making the battery life unlimited)

Also, if you are getting the NON-widescreen version (the 205 as opposed to the 205w), it will have one small difference in the geocaching context - you won't be able to see your current gps position in REAL time, you have to push a button to update it - so you'll push the button once you get close, move a few feet, push it again, etc. With the nuvi 200 series Widescreen versions, you can see it in real time - it updates automatically as you move. This isn't really a big deal though and there are plenty of geocachers out there that use a 205.

good luck!

Thx's johnny2154, That's kind of what I was wanting to know. We have 3 handheld GPSr's , 2 eTrex H's & 1 GPSMAP 60CSx (The H's are alot better than the high priced one, But thats a diff. subject,,lol)

We just looking to buy the Nuvi to use it for what it's for & for Caching. To get to the parking area as you said sound good to us.

We hope in the Preloaded POI's that Cemeteries are loaded in it too. We do the "Find a Grave" thing too.

Thx's again.

Thx's to you to hoyshnin for some Great info & link (I'll check it out in a bit.

I saw on the Garmin site that the Nuvi 205 (it's not the W either) goes for $159.99 & we're getting this one for $80. It's brand new & only time it was taken out the box was to take Pictures of it all for them to e mail me pic's. Waiting on the call now to where to go meet them to pick it up.

I'm doing this local here as I don't do EBay.

I found my first 140 caches with a 2x5 (first a 205 then a 255 but they work just the same). Now I use a Legend HCx but I still use my Nüvi for car navigation and more importantly, keeping the cache information.

I store 17000-18000 caches with full cache description, the last 5 logs AND spoiler pictures (where available). Depending on your GSAK skills it can be a bit hard to setup but once you get inte working you will not want to be without it. I also made a custom vehicle to make it a bit more useful when/if used for caching but since you allready have handheld devices that are better suited for the out-of-car part of the caching you may not need it.

You'll find the vehicle here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=213782

Thx's kallt kaffe, I was just looking at the link that shows me how to set up & load from GSAK to the Nuvi, O'Boy, New learning,,lol I just hope doing them changes to my GSAK won't stop me from loading our H's or the 60CSx??

Now I went & looked at your link about the vehicle?? Now I'm really getting comfused,,lol

I guess I'll see how it all goes when I go get it.

Plus, New Question. I saw someone say about paperless?? Will this Nuvi 205 hold the info on a cache in it too?? Will I need another program/software to do this??

Google for "advanced nuvi macro" (or search these forums for it) and you should find the Nuvi macro that you need export, as POIs, cache information from GSAK.

You may want to start with the macro from pilotsnipes (http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com) which does the same thing but without spoiler pictures. The macro from pilotsnipes can be easier to get working as it doesn't have all the bells'n'whistles of the more advanced macro. Also pilotsnipes has very good instructions for how to set it up.

You can load 10's of thousands, probably 100's of thousands of caches on the nuvi. I have over 3000 on mine right now (I have a 255w but the 205 can do the same). Yes you use GSAK and a macro to get them on there. Yes you can manually put the coordinates into the 205. There is one almighty website that you must see -

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html

This website will explain how to load caches onto your nuvi and how to use it most effectively (which settings to use) for geocaching.

The nuvi is great for geocaching (very accurate, easy to load caches onto) but has a few drawbacks.

1. it is not waterproof/shockproof

2. it does not have a lanyard on it to put around your wrist/neck (though I attached one to mine)

3. it only has a 4-5 hour battery life (though you can buy adapters that take AA's making the battery life unlimited)

Also, if you are getting the NON-widescreen version (the 205 as opposed to the 205w), it will have one small difference in the geocaching context - you won't be able to see your current gps position in REAL time, you have to push a button to update it - so you'll push the button once you get close, move a few feet, push it again, etc. With the nuvi 200 series Widescreen versions, you can see it in real time - it updates automatically as you move. This isn't really a big deal though and there are plenty of geocachers out there that use a 205.

good luck!

Well, We got the Nuvi & we love what we saw so far with it. But I clicked the link you posted above & was trying to load it all the way it said. But I get a error when I try loading a cache to the Nuvi. Say's I have 2 POILoader & I need to delete one of them???

I went & try to find the loader I need to delete, but didn't find it & really not sure where to look for it??

Hm, I'm not sure what your problem is, but maybe you could uninstall poiloader and then reinstall it.

Well, I did go in my Control Panel & in the add/remove programs, there are 2 POI Loaders. One of them was installed yesterday ( it's the 2.5.2 POI Loader) & the other is from back in Jan. of this year.

I'm just scared if I mess up that I might not be able to load my 60CSx no more from my GSAK.

I want to be able to Load both (Nuvi 205 & 60CSx) from my Lap Top.

HELP! I'm trippin', I mean travelin' tomorrow.

I'm resurrecting this string. I just bought a Nuvi 205 to help me get to a cache site without constantly looking down at my 60CSX while driving. I used the garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk macro. I couldn't get the button to work as shown in the instuctions but I clicked on the macro file, and pushed run. The folder was exported to C:\DOCUME~1\APPLIC~1\gsak\garminpoi. I clicked Start. The little macro box popped up and said that all 119 points were processed. I clicked on export complete, clicked on the PoiLoader on my task bar, clicked on Next, Garmin, Next, Find Device, which found the nuvi 205, next, install new custom pois into your devide, next, C:\DOCUME~1 \APPLIC~1\gsak\garminpoi, feet, and express mode were in the boxes, next, Finish. A congratulation that I have downloaded 119 points of interest into my device came up but when I go to the custom pois on the nuvi 205 I only find 48. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

HELP! I'm trippin', I mean travelin' tomorrow.

I'm resurrecting this string. I just bought a Nuvi 205 to help me get to a cache site without constantly looking down at my 60CSX while driving. I used the garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk macro. I couldn't get the button to work as shown in the instuctions but I clicked on the macro file, and pushed run. The folder was exported to C:\DOCUME~1\APPLIC~1\gsak\garminpoi. I clicked Start. The little macro box popped up and said that all 119 points were processed. I clicked on export complete, clicked on the PoiLoader on my task bar, clicked on Next, Garmin, Next, Find Device, which found the nuvi 205, next, install new custom pois into your devide, next, C:\DOCUME~1 \APPLIC~1\gsak\garminpoi, feet, and express mode were in the boxes, next, Finish. A congratulation that I have downloaded 119 points of interest into my device came up but when I go to the custom pois on the nuvi 205 I only find 48. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Ok, Your fine. It will only show you 48 caches that are closet to where you are with it. The other caches are there, but you need to move closer to them. If you loaded cache that will be along your route on a trip, Then they will show up as you come close. I have ours set to chime when a cache comes within 1500 feet of us while we travel.

I think your good to go with it.