Airport layover bookmark list

hzoi

I knew about the Copenhagen caches; when I first put the list together, I decided to stick to only three caches near any given airport, because bookmark lists used to have a limit of 500 caches and I didn't want to run out of room. Now there's no limit, so I'm listing all 11 caches that appear to be close enough to the Copenhagen airport.

I'm a bit confused by the fact that the name of your thread is airport layover bookmark list, but some airports have been added where I hardly think that someone would have a layover.

There is a cache at the airport of my home town Graz (second largest city of Austria, but only 3rd-4th largest Austrian airport with respect to passenger numbers due to its somehow isolated geographical location), but it is quite unlikely that someone will have a layover at Graz airport.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I'm a bit confused by the fact that the name of your thread is airport layover bookmark list, but some airports have been added where I hardly think that someone would have a layover.

There is a cache at the airport of my home town Graz (second largest city of Austria, but only 3rd-4th largest Austrian airport with respect to passenger numbers due to its somehow isolated geographical location), but it is quite unlikely that someone will have a layover at Graz airport.

It might be unlikely, but it's not impossible. Flights are diverted all the time due to weather, mechanical issues, or sick or unruly passengers. I thought it would be more helpful to err on the side of being overly inclusive than overly exclusive.

Also, few passengers may have layovers at airports like Graz, but airline employees have layovers there all the time, I suspect. I'm a nice guy, so I let them use my list, too.

It might be unlikely, but it's not impossible. Flights are diverted all the time due to weather, mechanical issues, or sick or unruly passengers. I thought it would be more helpful to err on the side of being overly inclusive than overly exclusive.

Also, few passengers may have layovers at airports like Graz, but airline employees have layovers there all the time, I suspect. I'm a nice guy, so I let them use my list, too.

I agree. The employees might be an argument though the only local cacher I am aware of who is an airline employee has to commute to Vienna each time.

Anyway, here is the cache at Graz airport

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=34ddc291-adfa-457d-9c8c-df0aac3b94f4

I have visited it and thus know that it can be done with only a short amount of time available (it is recommended however to use the hint as the reception is bad/not existent in the parking garage).

Furthermore, people sometimes come very early to the airport for check-in. I have lots of journeys where my hosts prefer to bring me to the airport 3-4 hours before... I know that's not a layover, but it is incredibly useful to have those geocaches on the list.

If anything, the name of the list could be slightly different, but that's just cosmetics. The content is exactly how it should be!

I recently had 7 endlessly long hours in Istanbul. So I got a few Turkish Lira and took the metro into the city center to pick up a cache and do a very short round of sight-seeing. We did something similar in Lisbon earlier last year. Though we don't need visa and can relatively easily leave the airport and return. Well, Turkey was a bit funny... Got out the airport, got a stamp in my passport, got in again and got another stamp, flew back home via this airport next evening (shortest business trip ever) and took a hotel outside, thus another stamp, and back to the airport next morning, where I was asked if I had problems making up my mind :laughing:

Mrs. terratin

I recently had 7 endlessly long hours in Istanbul. So I got a few Turkish Lira and took the metro into the city center to pick up a cache and do a very short round of sight-seeing. We did something similar in Lisbon earlier last year. Though we don't need visa and can relatively easily leave the airport and return. Well, Turkey was a bit funny... Got out the airport, got a stamp in my passport, got in again and got another stamp, flew back home via this airport next evening (shortest business trip ever) and took a hotel outside, thus another stamp, and back to the airport next morning, where I was asked if I had problems making up my mind :laughing:

Mrs. terratin

The four stamps in Turkey doesn't sound unusual. Every time you exit or re-enter an international terminal you're effectively entering or exiting the country. I had looked at Istanbul as a layover city for a trip to Africa I took awhile back and, if I recall, it also required a visa for U.S. citizens. Lisbon would have been different if it was a layover city if you were flying to/from it with another Schengen area country. A visa isn't required for U.S. citizens and you won't even need to show a passport if you're traveling within the schengen area. I've done the same thing that you did in Istanbul (taking the metro into city during a long layover) in Paris and Tokyo. It's a great way to see a bit of the city outside the airport and do some geocaching.

We arrived at the Albuquerque NM USA (ABQ) airport to pick up some work companions. Their flight was delayed by three hours. We found this travel bug hotel within walking distance of the terminal. From the time we left the terminal, found the cache, and arrived back at the terminal we hadn't used 75 minutes. The airport has a back entrance which helped us considerably. And short term parking - immediately adjacent to the terminal - is only $6 US for our time here.

http://coord.info/GC3Q788

We arrived at the Albuquerque NM USA (ABQ) airport to pick up some work companions. Their flight was delayed by three hours. We found this travel bug hotel within walking distance of the terminal. From the time we left the terminal, found the cache, and arrived back at the terminal we hadn't used 75 minutes. The airport has a back entrance which helped us considerably. And short term parking - immediately adjacent to the terminal - is only $6 US for our time here.

http://coord.info/GC3Q788

Excellent, thanks. Added to the list.

I know there's a cache near stansted airport in UK. I was going to get it while waiting to pick my friend up from her flight from Germany but due to road works only just got there in time to pick her up. It's in the retail park round the corner, close to mc Donald's which is about 5 minute walk from the short stay car park

Yup -- there's two right near Stansted, great for anyone flying Ryanair. I use the 3-character airport codes to sort the bookmarks, since that's how most if not all tickets and luggage tags are labeled. So they're on the list under STN.

(I didn't know about them until pretty recently, though -- so thanks!)

Furthermore, people sometimes come very early to the airport for check-in. I have lots of journeys where my hosts prefer to bring me to the airport 3-4 hours before... I know that's not a layover, but it is incredibly useful to have those geocaches on the list.

If anything, the name of the list could be slightly different, but that's just cosmetics. The content is exactly how it should be!

I was thinking of the same thing, especially for those traveling on business. Sometimes those those few hours after arrival and before departure from an airport is the only time really available to do any geocaching.

You may want to take another look around Austin-Bergstrom, depending on the criteria you are using.

You have 2 listed, but there is another on that same road and thern there are several more in the area, especially in a park directly south.

Thanks. I added the third, the others seem like they might be a stretch for a layover.

These days, it seems the only time I do new airport searches is when I see that a cache on the bookmark list has been archived, so I mostly depend on locals or travelers to tip me off on new caches. So keep 'em coming!

You have GC27XWF - Airmail~! listed near YYC (Calgary). Although the cache listing is at the airport and all the clues to get the final coords are at the airport, the final is 2 km away. I'm not sure that's a great choice for a layover cache.

Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC) is small, unlikely to be a connecting stop, but may be an initial/final destination for some. There's a cache there - GC1EWFR - Cranbrook Airport Travel Bug Hotel

Spokane International Airport (GEG) has one nearby: GC39FYZ - Spokane International: Travel Bug Air Terminal

There's one near the Houston Airport (IAH) that has been found on layovers: GC35Z8H - PLANES and ARTWORK. Also GC38826 - Leavin' on a Jet Plane.

Thanks for a great bookmark list!

I know there's a cache near stansted airport in UK. I was going to get it while waiting to pick my friend up from her flight from Germany but due to road works only just got there in time to pick her up. It's in the retail park round the corner, close to mc Donald's which is about 5 minute walk from the short stay car park

Yup -- there's two right near Stansted, great for anyone flying Ryanair. I use the 3-character airport codes to sort the bookmarks, since that's how most if not all tickets and luggage tags are labeled. So they're on the list under STN.

(I didn't know about them until pretty recently, though -- so thanks!)

yeah. i didn't check the list to be fair i just remember that i looked for one close by and that came up. like i said i didn't get to it, i was late thanks to road works. (the road works that always seem to be there too!) maybe when i had off to germany i can finally get it as it's annoying as i pretty much know where it is. lol

maybe when i had off to germany i can finally get it as it's annoying as i pretty much know where it is. lol

Good luck. And if you're flying into Frankfurt-Hahn, there are some cool ones around there. (It used to be a US Air Force base, and before that a Luftwaffe base, and it still looks a lot like a military base in some areas.)

Ringrat, mamoreb, akkatracker, and terratin, thanks for the additions/corrections. There are so many caches around Copenhagen (CPH), it seems there's always a new one to add. But you'd think, having logged the Spokane TB hotel, I'd've included it...sigh...

You may want to take another look around Austin-Bergstrom, depending on the criteria you are using.

You have 2 listed, but there is another on that same road and thern there are several more in the area, especially in a park directly south.

Thanks. I added the third, the others seem like they might be a stretch for a layover.

These days, it seems the only time I do new airport searches is when I see that a cache on the bookmark list has been archived, so I mostly depend on locals or travelers to tip me off on new caches. So keep 'em coming!

In all honesty, those 3 may be outside the realm of reality also. Contrary to what the map shows, that road is outside the boundaries of the airport and would not really be all that easy to get to unless a person were to rent a car or hire a cab.

In all honesty, those 3 may be outside the realm of reality also. Contrary to what the map shows, that road is outside the boundaries of the airport and would not really be all that easy to get to unless a person were to rent a car or hire a cab.

Fair enough. Let me know if anyone hides one near the rental car places or the airport hotel, those would be doable from the terminal.

Just did a scrub to take off archived caches and replace with caches nearby.

When we initially created this bookmark list, we looked at the map around different international airports and added caches. But that was when I had a little more spare time on my hands! Lately I've been just trying to maintain the list -- that is, every couple months, I check it, and if any caches show up as archived, I look around those airports to see if any new caches have sprung up to replace them.

So, for the most part, unless I happen to be looking for caches in a particular area, the best way to get a cache added to this list is for you to let us know! We watch this topic, and we of course check our email, so if you have any commercial airport caches to add, please let us know!

Thanks for the list.

Accra Ghana Airport is a 5 minute walk from the terminal.

For some reason I didn't see this post until today. Added it to the list, as well as doing some general upkeep to keep the listings fresh.

I'm always looking to add some, so if anyone knows of a good cache near a commercial airport, please let me know!

I've just added a new one today (also sent an email hzoi)- There's a sky train that goes between the airport terminals, the economy parking lot, and the light rail stop (free) and I've put a nice one just a few steps away from the Light Rail stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zbqD7x_vUedM.k7AllYtQh3TI

GC61Y33 - Welcome to Phoenix

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC61Y33_welcome-to-phoenix-frequent-flyers-cache-redux

The SkyTrain at the Atlanta Airport (ATL) stops at the Georgia International Convention Center. From there, one can walk to grab several caches:

GC421DQ

GC5MWBW

GC5BTAC

There are a couple others that are walkable from there...but then it gets to be more of a hike than most would want to do on a layover. Even that third one is a bit of a walk, but it's a TB hotel and gets a lot of visits.

The SkyTrain at the Atlanta Airport (ATL) stops at the Georgia International Convention Center. From there, one can walk to grab several caches:

GC421DQ

GC5MWBW

GC5BTAC

There are a couple others that are walkable from there...but then it gets to be more of a hike than most would want to do on a layover. Even that third one is a bit of a walk, but it's a TB hotel and gets a lot of visits.

Added, thanks very much! Hadn't even thought about the Sky Train loop.

GC421DQ

GC5MWBW

GC5BTAC

That could probably add a lot of caches to your list but airports which have a sky train, light rail, or frequently running train might have caches that one can get too much quicker than via a walk from the terminal. When I am transit through an airport I check to see the airports ground transportation page to see if there is a rail service and for caches near long term parking areas or off site car rental locations.

GC421DQ

GC5MWBW

GC5BTAC

That could probably add a lot of caches to your list but airports which have a sky train, light rail, or frequently running train might have caches that one can get too much quicker than via a walk from the terminal. When I am transit through an airport I check to see the airports ground transportation page to see if there is a rail service and for caches near long term parking areas or off site car rental locations.

It definitely could; that's why I rely on this thread and the kindness of others who know the conditions on the ground.

There's a cache some 800m away from Manchester Airport, depending on which terminal you're at. The coords are a bit off and it's not really hidden, but it's something to waste a bit of time.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC23KF0_manchester-airport-orbital-cycle-route-001

Haha! We found this one about a week ago!

Cool! I was there about 4 weeks ago. Was a bit grumpy for ending up at a location that didn't look like it would hold a cache. And then I went into the airport and forgot the bit of cache grumpiness immediately. I think Manchester is the worst airport I've ever been to. Makes the old Doha airport a lovely place :o and thinking about this being our new home airport and that I'll probably be traveling a fair bit for business and vacation... oh well... :( In that sense, nothing beats Amsterdam and Copenhagen. They are just nice.

The wife and I did a cache near Bratislava airport in Slovakia earlier this year - we arrived early before we could check in and had some time to kill. This was perhaps three minutes walk from the airport and a very straight forward on-site one stage multi (plus it was interesting to boot). GC4WHM9

The wife and I did a cache near Bratislava airport in Slovakia earlier this year - we arrived early before we could check in and had some time to kill. This was perhaps three minutes walk from the airport and a very straight forward on-site one stage multi (plus it was interesting to boot). GC4WHM9

Thanks, added it. I am going back through Europe but had not gotten to Slovakia quite yet.

Hi - I have a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam coming up soon and had thought about getting a cache while waiting. Has anyone else tried this in Amsterdam? I didn't see the airport listed on the bookmark list, but maybe this has changed since the list was first posted in 2009. Any help or advice welcome. I am US citizen traveling to Florence. Thanks!

Hi - I have a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam coming up soon and had thought about getting a cache while waiting. Has anyone else tried this in Amsterdam? I didn't see the airport listed on the bookmark list, but maybe this has changed since the list was first posted in 2009. Any help or advice welcome. I am US citizen traveling to Florence. Thanks!

There are a number of caches, including a TB hotel, in walking distance around Hoofddorp station, one stop from Schiphol terminal. The trains are very frequent and the ride takes 5 minutes. Have done it a couple of times with much less layover time. You can get the tickets at the ticket machines in the terminal, make sure you buy return day trip ticket, so you don't loose any time on the way back.

With six hours you don't need a cache near the airport. In Amsterdam you can be downtown in 20 minutes. Trains are frequent and inexpensive and take about 20 minutes. Go downtown, it's more fun, and there are many nice caches near the Centraal Station.

Edited by SeekerSupreme

There's not really a cache outside the terminal, but you should be able to get something done with 6 hours time, for example in Hoofddorp. Whenever I have a stopover at Schiphol I get out of the departure area to buy a big pile of Dutch liquorice that you cannot get in the usual airport shops but only at Schiphol Plaza. I do this trip when I have at least 90 minutes, and it usually takes me 20 minutes to get out, go to one or two shops and back in.

However, one important thing to keep in mind: summer vacations! Customs can be a nightmare in vacation periods, and I would certainly make sure you have a lot of time. Also, if you intend to use the train make sure that there are no general delays as you might not be able to get back. Also make sure you have an emergency phone number and money for a taxi if things really get wrong. :lol: The Dutch just can't run their railservices properly :ph34r:

Edited by terratin

With six hours you don't need a cache near the airport. In Amsterdam you can be downtown in 20 minutes. Trains are frequent and inexpensive and take about 20 minutes. Go downtown, it's more fun, and there are many nice caches near the Centraal Station.

I have used trains that service the airports (and have scheduled a layover 5 hours or more) in numerous cities. I used the one in Amsterdam but I had an overnight layover there. I've also done it in Tokyo, Paris, Istanbul, Copenhagen, Brussels, and Zurich.

Been gone all weekend and am late to the discussion on my own thread.

Unfortunately, no one has hidden a cache right at Schipol that I'd consider a layover cache.

While I stretch the definition from time to time, the list was inspired by caches like this (now archived) one at Milan Malpensa and these virtuals at Chicago O'hare and Frankfurt am Main. Since I had fun getting those between flights, I wondered how many others there were out there and started to collect a list. With offline list availability on the app, it turns out it's more useful now than it used to be. :anibad:

Not much help at Schipol, though, but as others have stated, with your long layover a train ride seems feasible.

That said, to any Dutch geocachers out there, how about a nice Schipol cache? Let me know if you hide one, I have the perfect list for it. :laughing:

I won't mention names but someone told me before leaving the airport grounds they went to find a 4 difficult virtual. A maze of roads to find the information. After they logged the cache someone contacted them saying they had a layover of 6 hours and went and found the same virtual but lost the answer and wanted to know if she could send answer to them. She could not believe that they left the airport, rented a car, drove the maze of roads and then returned the car and went back through customs just for a virtual. She ignored the message.

I won't mention names but someone told me before leaving the airport grounds they went to find a 4 difficult virtual. A maze of roads to find the information. After they logged the cache someone contacted them saying they had a layover of 6 hours and went and found the same virtual but lost the answer and wanted to know if she could send answer to them. She could not believe that they left the airport, rented a car, drove the maze of roads and then returned the car and went back through customs just for a virtual. She ignored the message.

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess it was GC1BE4. Pretty gutsy to try that on a layover, especially since you actually have to leave the airport area to get to the car rental place and then would have to come back. (Hence, not on the list.)

Unfortunately, no one has hidden a cache right at Schipol that I'd consider a layover cache.

ls

While I stretch the definition from time to time, the list was inspired by caches like this (now archived) one at Milan Malpensa and these virtuals at Chicago O'hare and Frankfurt am Main. Since I had fun getting those between flights, I wondered how many others there were out there and started to collect a list. With offline list availability on the app, it turns out it's more useful now than it used to be. :anibad:

Not much help at Schipol, though, but as others have stated, with your long layover a train ride seems feasible.

That said, to any Dutch geocachers out there, how about a nice Schipol cache? Let me know if you hide one, I have the perfect list for it. :laughing:

My first international find was a now archived cache at Schipol. It was near a hotel close enough to the airport that I would have considered it an airport cache. Last time I flew through Malpensa there 2-3 caches there. It looks like there are 3 traditional caches still there. One could easy do two of them with a short layover at Terminal 1. The other one is at Terminal 2 (a 10 minute shuttle bus trip away).

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess it was GC1BE4. Pretty gutsy to try that on a layover, especially since you actually have to leave the airport area to get to the car rental place and then would have to come back. (Hence, not on the list.)

I've seen quite a few at car rental areas at airports. They'd typically be pretty easy to get as there's always a frequent shuttle.

ls

My first international find was a now archived cache at Schipol. It was near a hotel close enough to the airport that I would have considered it an airport cache. Last time I flew through Malpensa there 2-3 caches there. It looks like there are 3 traditional caches still there. One could easy do two of them with a short layover at Terminal 1. The other one is at Terminal 2 (a 10 minute shuttle bus trip away).

Yup -- those three Malpensa caches are on the list.

I've seen quite a few at car rental areas at airports. They'd typically be pretty easy to get as there's always a frequent shuttle.

Yeah, I consider car rental centers fair game most of the time -- in fact the one near ATL has a cache or two that are on the list. But "One Way to the Right Way" isn't; it may be on airport property, but the point is that it's hard to get to. While I don't view my list as a guarantee that someone will have time to get a given cache between flights, I do try to make it reasonable.