Buying another GPS again?

canpaddle

The first step is admitting you have a problem - I do.

2001 - eTrex Legend

2002 - eTrex Camo

2002 Pair of Garmin Rino 120

2004 - Garmin 60C

2006 - Garmin eTrex Venture Cx

2007 - 2 Garmin Legend HCx

2008 - Colorado 300

2008 - Garmin Oregon 200

2009 - Lowrance Endura Out&Back

2009 - Delorme PN30

That makes 12.

I just wanted them.

2001 - eTrex Legend

2002 - eTrex Camo

2004 - Garmin 60C

2008 - Colorado 300

2008 - Garmin Oregon 200

2009 - Delorme PN30

That makes 12.

I just wanted them.

Thanks, Starbrand! You make me feel much better!!

etrex Legend (the "blue one")

Legend CX

Legend HCX

Colorado, returned for a GPSMap 60CSX

Also a Nuvi 200W, that was replaced by a Nuvi 550W when the 200 was stolen.

1) Magellan Meridian Gold

2) Garmin Etrex

3) another Merigold (used - swapped for some 'puter work)

4) Garmin 60C

5) Magellan 100, found in forest

6) Bluetooth Holux to use with PDA (now using with Dell Axim for Wherigo)

7) Magellan eXplorist 500

8) DeLorme PN 40

Like StarBrand, it's just 'cause.

Other than the one I picked up in the woods. The DeLorme is now my principle geocaching gps. Paperless, it's nice.

Bought my Etrex Legend when I discovered caching. Bought my 60Cx for WAY too much money when we were getting ready to go on a geocaching vacation and the Legend died. Bought the wife a Nuvi for her car when she was working for the Red Cross but we use it all the time for driving between caches. In there someplace I bought a cheap PDA that came with a plug in GPS receiver. So that makes four. I am considering a PN-40 in the not so distant future.

2001 - eTrex Legend

2002 - eTrex Camo

2004 - Garmin 60C

2008 - Colorado 300

2008 - Garmin Oregon 200

2009 - Delorme PN30

That makes me feel so unworthy, I won't even post what I have. Of course, I've only been caching for a year... maybe in 7 more years I'll catch up :laughing:

Just one for caching--Legend Cx. Which is odd, as I usually like the latest gadget, such as the "new every two" deal from my cell carrier. But, I've got about 23,000 miles logged on the Legend (granted, quite a few are air miles) and want to see how far it gets before it rolls over and dies. Plus, it does a great job at getting me to the caches.

For the car, I've got 3. First was a Magellan that turned me off of Magellan as they never offered a map update and stopped supporting it, then a Navigon "for wifey" (she kind of saw through that little ploy) and then a Garmin Nuvi I got for free for opening a new bank account.

I may get a Legend HCx at some time, but am in no rush.

Garmin V - because it was good for street and trail

Magellan Gold - because it was a pain to disconnect and switch modes over and over

Garmin Yellow etrex - for muggle friends to use

Magellan eXplorist 500 - the gold died

Magellan eXplorist 500 - don't ask

Garmin Streetpilot 2720 -had more bells and whistles

Garmin 60SX - wanted a new toy

Garmin Oregon 550T - paperless

Rumor is I'm getting a Nuvi for Christmas - smaller and easier to carry when flying

o does a Garmin Forerunner count?

Edited by SgtSue

Magellan Meridian - the backlight died

Explorist 600 - a great unit, that I still use on occasion

Garmin 60csx - when the Magellan mapping became a little frustrating

Garmin Colorado 300 - my current unit of choice, paperless

Extras:

Asus MyPal 696 - pda/gpsr/windows combination, solid coordinates, great with whereigos or unobtrusive urban caching

Does the iPhone count?

My wife keeps wondering how many do I need.

Edited by Erickson

Ok I started in sep 06 with my Nextel i730 i think it was, got a free eMap(took it from dad) then bought a legend CX for the trail & MS Streets and Trips with GPS locator for the Laptop and now my Oregon 300(I love it). Does it count that I bought another eMap for my friends wow didnt have much money and liked geocaching, I like the eMap because it's cheep on ebay and work pretty good for beginners with maps. Memory card suck though.

I started with a Garmin Geko 300, as I wanted something to keep me from getting too lost while hiking.

Then my wife bought me a Garmin Nuvi 660 for the truck, so I bought her a Nuvi 250 for her vehicle.

Then, when I started caching, I bought a Garmin Summit HC. I have been lately lusting for an Oregon 500, but my Summit with my iPod Touch lets me paperless cache, so I can't really justify the new one, yet, anyway.

Mike

I'm on number 3.

I got my first back in 2001, and found a half-dozen or so caches. Then I loaned it to my son, and when I got it back it never worked again. I don't remember the make or model number, but I can picture it in my mind. When displaying coordinates in the DD MM.MMM format, it only showed two digits to the right of the decimal... made finding caches just a bit more challenging!

Then a few months ago, I got a Blackberry. The Sprint Navigator software that came with it is fine for driving directions, but I wanted a way to access the GPS data directly. In searching for GPS software, I found BlackStar. It worked fine for what I wanted, and had some built-in geocaching features, too. Just playing around with the software, I found a geocache right next to my office. I was hooked again.

Using BlackStar on the BB is great. It can be completely paperless, and you can log to the website with it. But the BlackBerry's internal GPS isn't real sensitive, tends to lose signal under trees, and has some other minor annoyances. So before long I decided I really needed something more sensitive.

Which led to GPS #3, a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Great unit for the price.

I still use my first GPSr... A Garmin 45 (xl)

Slow, insensitive, and keeps on ticking like a Timex...

I've watched others with newer ones that have problems and breakdown.

Paid more for it than most of the new top of line models cost today... keep trying to get my money's

worth..

Also have used a Lowrance ?? and lately a Garmin etrex Legend (blue) that belong to the local SAR.

They are a bit faster to process, but not a whole lot better, although I can see why the etrex line and others are more popular... may have to get something newer, but need to eat and sleep more than that.

Good luck... oh yes... still have my maps and compass for backup.

Doug 7rxc

I started out with my Garmin eTrex Legend nearly four years ago and I have used it up until just recently when I upgraded to a Garmin Dakota 20. Wow, what a difference!

Here is an overview of all of my GPS purchases.

1. Garmin eTrex Legend

2. Garmin eTrex Legend (first one stopped working)

3. Garmin Street Pilot c340

4. Garmin Nuvi 260W

5. Garmin Dakota 20

1) Magellan 315 bought for climbing

2) Etrex yellow bought on suggestion when I first started caching

3) Magellan 500LE etrex loses signal easily

4) Etrex blue gift when Maggie was stolen

5) Magellan 500LE replaced stolen one

6) DeLorme PN-40 PAPERLESS!!

7) Garmin OR300 temp replacement for PN-40 explained below

8) DeLorme PN-40SE explanation below:

I also had a few more yellow etrexs given to me when my Maggie was stolen, I sent them out to newbs as did I the etrex blue.

The PN-40 is my go-to unit for all things, it is AWESOME! However, I had to replace it temporarily when I left the PN on the hood of my Jeep and lost it just days before a caching trip...OUCH! The Garmin OR 300 was the replacement I bought and used for my trip as well s about a week later, it had problems and went back as defective. In the meantime, a new PN-40SE arrived and I was back in the ORANGE LOVERS GROUP!! But, the story doesn't end there, a road commission guy showed up on my steps one morning with my lost PN-40 in hand?? WOW, I searched 10 miles for this, he found it 12 miles from starting location.

The lost PN-40 looks to have bounced off the road a few times at a starting speed of 55+ mph before settling down on the road so it could be run over a few times which must have thrown it to the ditch where found a few months later. Beaten up badly, waterproof issues are obvious...but it still works LIKE A CHARM!!! :laughing:

Magellan GPS315 - still have, wanted a mapping unit. Very ice unit to learn the basics of all GPS with. Caches 1-30

Garmin Etrex Legend C - still have, backup in wife's car. Great unit, first 1000 caches or so with this. Caches 30-1000

Garmin Etrex Vista HCX - nice high senstivity, auto-routing, like apples and oranges compared to the C. Traded in after 6 months back to REI for a paperless model. Caches 1000-1500

Delorme PN-40 - Great on paper, bad in implementation. Missed the excellent auto-routing that the Etrexes did. Wanted it to work as the mapping was an attractive option, but so tedious for covering large areas. Caches 1500-1600

Garmin Oregon 300 - Touchscreen worth the price of entry, plus "all-in-oneness" makes it a good all round unit. Worried about lack of key features when bought. Glad stuck with this, as the dumbed down feeling at start was removed with Garmin's still development of this unit, with new features added regularly. Mapping options are greater than the PN-40. Very good primary GPS. Caches 1600-5000

(Geomate Jr for kids and lazy people on runs who didn't load the planned route PQ :laughing:. Very accurate unit)

Edited by Maingray

Lowrance Global Nav.212 year 2000

Magellan Gold year 2003

Garmin Legend year 2003

Magellan Explorist 500 year 2005

Magellan Triton 400 feb.2008 returned

Magellan Triton 400 May 2008 explorist died

Triton 1500 Aug 2008

used Explorist 500 Sept 2008

Garmin Oregon 300 April 2009

Nuvi 255w Aug 2009

Still on hand 3 magellans 2 Garmins

I'm up to my 4th handheld GPS and my 2nd in-car GPS.

1. First was a Magellan 320, which I got in the early 2000s to use while boating.

2. Magellan Meridian Platinum a couple years later.

3. In 2006 I got a Garmin 60CSx.

4. My son wanted his own, so I gave it to him and got another for myself.

5. Originally had a Nuvi 350, but it got dropped.

6. So now I have a Nuvi 765T. I gave the 350 to my son. It works most of the time, and he likes seeing where we're driving while heading off to different caches.

7. Editing to add that I also have a DeLorme BlueLogger, which I used to use before I got the Nuvi 350 along with my Pocket PC and Mapopolis for street routing. Unfortunately, I fell into a river with my PPC in my pocket and ruined it. I replaced it with a Palm device.

8. I have since gotten an iPhone, so overall, added up, that would be 8 total GPS units if you count the phone, which I often use as my GPS.

9 + 10. Editing again to add 2 additional Lowrance Marine GPS units that I had installed into our last 2 boats.

I think that's all of them, but I feel I've forgotten something.

Edited by Skippermark

2001 - Garmin 12 - broke it

2004 - Garmin 12 - Lost it!

2005 - GPS 72 - still got it - lost signal in WV hollers and heavy pines - had re-Conditioned no longer supported

2008 - GPS 76CSX - still got it - works great! I still find hollers it won't handle but it recovers quickly.

76CSX gets the signal keeps it very well. Use the maps alot now! It floats

Still use the 72 on my bike in case I wreck it - work great on the bike! It floats

1. Eagle accunav sport

2. Magellan trailblazer

above were before geocaching

3. Magellan sportrak map.

4. Magellan explorist 600

5. Geomate jr.

I have an omnitech dash mounted unit in my truck and several GPS pucks for my netbook/laptops.

I held a Garmin once. Took 2 weeks for the rash to go away.

My next will be the pn40

Three right now.

Magellan Triton 300

Geomate Jr.

Garmin V

We are still new at this , but we started with a Magellan Triton 300, followed by a Geomate Jr and recently added a Garmin V that I found on ebay.

The Triton is our primary that all in the hunting party can work easily , the geomate jr is for targets of opportunity in areas we just happen to be in and get the urge and the Garmin more for general purpose navigating into some of the unknown areas. Ive uploaded coords into it but havent switched it into the off road mode yet to find a cache yet.

I saw a Maggie once. It had a log in its battery compartment.

Yeah, I've got that beat. Mine has 1,079 geocaches in it. And in it's spare time provides accurate turn-by-turn guidance...use only when there is a navigator on board.

Do you have any stats on the luggage compartment capacity in one of those Garmin Oregons compared to a Maggie?

From when you received the first GPS unit, how many have you had up until now?

Do you keep getting a better one from the one before?

What are some reasons you have upgraded?

Just two, that I would consider my 'primary' unit.

Nine if you count those that I bought as a 'back up' unit, or just to play with and off, or one to replace a unit that got sunk on a canoe trip.

A couple were upgrades. Others were often just excuse to have a new toy to mess with.

First one was basic etrex, so the next one had to have maps and that autorouting sounded good. Next unit will be a 'paperless' one, just haven't plunked down the money. Kinda wondering if it would be better to wait a bit longer and see if there any discounts after Thanksgiving or Christmas.

2001 - eTrex Legend

2002 - eTrex Camo

2004 - Garmin 60C

2008 - Colorado 300

2008 - Garmin Oregon 200

2009 - Delorme PN30

That makes 12.

I just wanted them.

After re-reading this thread - I see many of the older units were lost or stolen or sold off - my problem is all the sadder as I still own all 12 of the above...... :)

Just one for caching--Legend Cx. Which is odd, as I usually like the latest gadget, such as the "new every two" deal from my cell carrier. But, I've got about 23,000 miles logged on the Legend (granted, quite a few are air miles) and want to see how far it gets before it rolls over and dies. Plus, it does a great job at getting me to the caches.

For the car, I've got 3. First was a Magellan that turned me off of Magellan as they never offered a map update and stopped supporting it, then a Navigon "for wifey" (she kind of saw through that little ploy) and then a Garmin Nuvi I got for free for opening a new bank account.

I may get a Legend HCx at some time, but am in no rush.

Ok, have to update this one. I was perfectly happy with my Legend until yesterday, when the subject of the DeLorme PN-40 for $200 came up, and so now my second caching GPS is on its way to me.

Dont get me into trouble CP but....

2001 Garmin III+ ( gave away)

2002 Garmin Legend (girlfriend) (gave away after I fixed it)

2003 Garmin Legend (girlfriends daughter)

2004 Garmin Legend (replacement for girlfriends broken one which I ended up fixing)

2004 Garmin 60C (gave away)

200? Garmin Gecko 101 (gave away)

2005 Garmin 60CSx

2007 Garmin Legend HCx (girlfriend)

2009 Delorme PN-30

I am still using the 60CSx mostly and she uses the HCx.

Edited by IBcrashen

I certainly have fewer than a lot of folks here.

I bought a Knight Rider GPSr because we needed one in the car, and nostalgia won me over.

Then I realized I wanted a GPSr in the car, and needed a new phone, so I bought a Pharos 619.

Shortly after, someone at work introduced me to caching, and I upgraded pretty quickly to a Oregon 200.

After re-reading this thread - I see many of the older units were lost or stolen or sold off - my problem is all the sadder as I still own all 12 of the above...... :laughing:

Following StarBrand's lead, I have all but 1 of my GPSs. The Magellan Gold that died. All others are still functioning even the damaged due to stupidity eXplorist 500. Yes, I have a problem. Gadgets, I love them!