Ordnance Survey map data

Stokesy

I'm not sure what this will mean for GPS mapping....

Link

Dare I say it, the Openstreetmap project will be closed down

In case you wanted a different opinion, the Guardian has also reported it here

Nothing I've read suggests we'll suddenly see free OS maps on our GPSr; but it would open up the possibility of getting the best of both worlds from both projects.

OSM might allow users to use the (free) OS mapping to improve their service.

As we've seen with the OS maps on the modern Garmin units, their mapping is raster based, designed to be printed on paper at a fixed scale. When you zoom in the mapping doesn't re-draw, until it becomes an unreadable mess.

OSM is vector based, allowing you to zoom in with no loss of detail. What a lot of modern users of OS mapping want is access to a vector based version of their mapping.

Next year should be interesting!

Edited by Jaz666

I'm not sure what this will mean for GPS mapping....

Link

In case you wanted a different opinion, the Guardian has also reported it here

Nothing I've read suggests we'll suddenly see free OS maps on our GPSr; but it would open up the possibility of getting the best of both worlds from both projects.

OSM might allow users to use the (free) OS mapping to improve their service.

As we've seen with the OS maps on the modern Garmin units, their mapping is raster based, designed to be printed on paper at a fixed scale. When you zoom in the mapping doesn't re-draw, until it becomes an unreadable mess.

OSM is vector based, allowing you to zoom in with no loss of detail. What a lot of modern users of OS mapping want is access to a vector based version of their mapping.

Next year should be interesting!

It could indeed.

Neither article mentions Vector or Raster based maps.

The Tiger is currently doing research with some GIS software (blah blah blah noise to me) but she did indeed mention that she was playing with 1:10k Vector maps which did intrigue me. She's just shown me a 1:10k where it almost shows the windows of each house!

Now, this probably won't be the "free" bit and certainly it appears it is more of a street map than the OS we've come to know and love.

Now we know that the Garmin units can deal with Vector based mapping so......

The OS won't release much detail, the next government will get in before they're forced to do it. The OS certainly don't like what they're being forced to do.

Yet it is good for certain datasets such as the administrative boundaries, which are impossible to get without being encumbered by the OS licences.

OpenStreetMap's name is a bit of a misnomer, they are not focused entirely on streets, take a look around Hampshire for a good idea at the detail that can be achieved from footpath mapping.

Not a chance. The Government/OS will never release the data into the public domain. Increased access != unrestricted access.

OSM on the other hand is restricted only by CC Attribution-ShareAlike, meaning you can essentially use the data in any way you please so long as you attribute the source and make your version available under similar terms.

The OS mapping data may become more available and usable (and that will be a great thing... if it ever happens) but OSM will always have a less restrictive license so there will always be a use for it.