Firmware Update OREGON 200, 300, 400 + OREGON 550, 550t

freeday

Garmin Oregon 550/550t software 2.6 released Garmin Custom Maps and geotagging fixes http://tinyurl.com/ykfo3b2

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.60:

* Added support for Garmin Custom Maps

* Added heading to geotagged photo EXIF information (see GPSImgDirection and GPSImgDirectionRef tags)

* Improved along road routing performance

* Improved support for importing geotagged photos to various desktop applications

* Corrected issues causing some geotagged photos to be drawn at incorrect location on the map

----

Garmin Oregon 200/300/400 software 3.3 released Garmin Custom Maps and autorouting improvements http://tinyurl.com/lkotja

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

* Added support for Garmin Custom Maps

* Improved along road routing performance

Garmin's official "custom map" page

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/o...maps#fragment-1

"Even with the multitude of handheld mapping products available, sometimes the best map for a specific area or event is in printed or electronic form. For example, you're planning a family hiking trip to a nearby state park, but you're concerned that the trail may not be well marked or easy to follow on the paper map. If only there was a way to put the paper map in your Garmin outdoor handheld.

Introducing Garmin Custom Maps — a free and simple process that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your compatible outdoor handheld device. Garmin Custom Maps are created using Garmin map drawing technology to georeference map images and effectively download a printed or electronic map."

Just updated Oregon 400t to the v3.30 from 3.22. No problem with updating. It seems that the screen redraws with the custom raster maps are much faster now than they were with v3.22. Tried to make the GPS shutoff like it would with v3.22 when panning a lot at once or several pans / moves without letting the screen catch up and so far have not been able to make it shutdown; maybe this has been fixed.

It appears that the Enable/Disable command for the Garmin Custom Maps is still a global setting and regardless of which profile the Garmin Custom Maps are changed in, it changes it in all profiles.

Edited by eaparks

It seems that the screen redraws with the custom raster maps are much faster now than they were with v3.22. Tried to make the GPS shutoff like it would with v3.22 when panning a lot at once or several pans / moves without letting the screen catch up and so far have not been able to make it shutdown; maybe this has been fixed.

Excellent news ! Cheers for that... :laughing:

I've got the same batteries in my 550t and it is lasting well over 10 hours and is pretty much on-par with our 400t. I did notice if I turn the brightness up too much it eats the batteries (it would wouldn't it) but with the brightness down at a lowish, but readable, level it's working absolutely perfectly :laughing:.

Is anyone else finding that the 550 eats batteries like crazy?

I am using Duracell 2650mah's and I could get over 10hours easily on a Colorado 300 and now they struggle to last for 8 hours (I havent timed it yet) on the 550.

Updated my 550T on Wed 18/11/09 went for a long hike along the South Downs Way, and the unit froze twice. I had to remove the batteries to get it back. I also noticed some of the cache icons showed up as very large padlocks.

When I got back home, after contacting Garmin they advised I do a cold boot (or whatever they called it!?

After that the cache icons were fixed but my own profiles were causing a problem causing the unit to misbehave, to cut a long story short I deleted my profiles, cold re-booted and recreated my profiles.

I haven't tried it on a hike but it is not freezing like it did before so it may be sorted?

Batteries: I use rechargeable 2750 mAh & the Garmin supplied. They last well but the camera sucks the power out so I always carry 2 spare sets but make sure I have a fully charged set installed so have never had to swap while on a hike. NB the Garmin batteries seem to last very well :laughing: !

Updated my 550T on Wed 18/11/09 went for a long hike along the South Downs Way, and the unit froze twice. I had to remove the batteries to get it back. I also noticed some of the cache icons showed up as very large padlocks.

When I got back home, after contacting Garmin they advised I do a cold boot (or whatever they called it!?

After that the cache icons were fixed but my own profiles were causing a problem causing the unit to misbehave, to cut a long story short I deleted my profiles, cold re-booted and recreated my profiles.

I haven't tried it on a hike but it is not freezing like it did before so it may be sorted?

Batteries: I use rechargeable 2750 mAh & the Garmin supplied. They last well but the camera sucks the power out so I always carry 2 spare sets but make sure I have a fully charged set installed so have never had to swap while on a hike. NB the Garmin batteries seem to last very well :) !

Update: Went on a short hike and the unit froze :laughing: so will post back after I speak with Garmin

Batteries: I use rechargeable 2750 mAh & the Garmin supplied. They last well but the camera sucks the power out so I always carry 2 spare sets but make sure I have a fully charged set installed so have never had to swap while on a hike. NB the Garmin batteries seem to last very well :signalviolin: !

I also ended up with large padlocks for some of the icons after updating. What is a cold boot and how do I do it? What do I need to back up before doing it? Any help would be appreciated.

Batteries: I use rechargeable 2750 mAh & the Garmin supplied. They last well but the camera sucks the power out so I always carry 2 spare sets but make sure I have a fully charged set installed so have never had to swap while on a hike. NB the Garmin batteries seem to last very well :laughing: !

I also ended up with large padlocks for some of the icons after updating. What is a cold boot and how do I do it? What do I need to back up before doing it? Any help would be appreciated.

I also ended up with large padlocks :signalviolin: . How do I cold boot it?

kent/kentus

I also saw the large padlocks today.

Had a few lockups.

Had a lockup after moving caches using GSAK and powering on.

Had to remove the batteries to unhang it. Holding the power button did not work.

After that, any page view of a cache description locked the unit up.

Reloaded the caches and it made it through boot and worked after that...

Should have mentioned this is with a 550.

Edited by FloatingSpots

Batteries: I use rechargeable 2750 mAh & the Garmin supplied. They last well but the camera sucks the power out so I always carry 2 spare sets but make sure I have a fully charged set installed so have never had to swap while on a hike. NB the Garmin batteries seem to last very well :D !

I also ended up with large padlocks :) . How do I cold boot it?

kent/kentus

Hi, I believe Garmin call it a master reset!

1) On my 550t I power off the unit.

2) Press the top Left Hand of the screen and hold

3) Power on

4) keep pressing till a message comes up - now stop pressing the top LH corner

5) Answerer Yes or No to the reset

6) The unit will reset and reboot

Do this at your own risk it is supposed to remove all personal profiles etc. :(

Hi all,

I too acquired the mysterious padlocks after updating my 550t to 2.60. :(

After a lot of messing about, in desperation i clicked on reset--reset trip data etc, deleted all waypoints and cleared current track memory.

It seems to have worked for me--the padlocks have now disappeared (for now!!).

I don't know if i will experience any other problems such as freeze ups etc--not going out in this weather!

Hope it works on yours.

John. :)

Edited by lancashirelad

Hi all,

I too acquired the mysterious padlocks after updating my 550t to 2.60. :(

After a lot of messing about, in desperation i clicked on reset--reset trip data etc, deleted all waypoints and cleared current track memory.

It seems to have worked for me--the padlocks have now dissapeared (for now!!).

I don't know if i will experience any other problems such as freeze ups etc--not going out in this weather!

Hope it works on yours.

John. :)

I wonder why some people are experiencing this problem and others aren't. I updated to 2.60 from the previous non-beta version the other day and haven't noticed any new glitches. The cache icons look the same as they always have (no "padlock" icons, which I've never seen).

In case it makes any difference, I use the GSAK Garmin Colorado/Oregon Export Macro to load caches into my 550t.

--Larry

We were caching all day yesterday with both our 550t and 400t on the latest firmware and they behaved themselves really well.

The 550t crashed once when I was in the camera app and just about to take a photo. It just suddenly powered off. I switched it on again and all was ok. It froze once later on but a quick yank of the batteries soon sorted that out.

The 400t froze once but a quick yank of the batteries soon sorted that out.

The Discoverer maps behaved themselves well with the firmware and we saw no map problems at all.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

This latest release seems to have the same problem as 3.22 with GB Discoverer maps. Frequent crashes even without panning. I have reverted to 3.15beta. Can anyone help on getting my unit to 3.20 as webupdater wants to upgrade to 3.30?

It is currently available here http://www8.garmin.com/software/Oregon_WebUpdater__320.gcd

Edited by Captain Gore-tex