So what do you do, when a friend becomes a geo pirate?

nygiants10

Is it not odd that the "friend" with the concern has not posted any response in 3days? Not like there hasn't been a lot of input into his original question.

no, actually it's not odd at all.

go ahead and check the number of threads started by someone who gets the answer they asked for and depart while others hang out and keep talking.

Is it not odd that the "friend" with the concern has not posted any response in 3days? Not like there hasn't been a lot of input into his original question.

no, actually it's not odd at all.

go ahead and check the number of threads started by someone who gets the answer they asked for and depart while others hang out and keep talking.

ohoh...k peeps best be checking on your lemmings.......

Maybe there's more to this story.....

Odds...

2/1 Troll

3/1 Local cacher dispute

5/1 Groundspeak lackeys have ballsed up somewhere

1/10 It's all going to end badly

I'm now going to sit back on this one... :signalviolin:

Jumping into this a little late, but....... regarding whether this would or would not constitute theft:

I think one would find that a judge in a court of law would use the good ol' dictionary in many of his/her decisions because there is no precedent in another court of law.

Now, I am not up to date on whether there has been any such decision previously made (just so you know). If there has been a legal decision, then all of argument is moot, anyway.

A cache has been used since pre-historical times (by humans) to store/hide items left unclaimed by the owner. Moving to recent historical times, a cache has been used by guerrillas to hide weapons, etc. (obviously unclaimed). Currently, survivalists have caches of weapons hidden about.

NOW, geocachers have caches hidden about.

By nature of the name given to the hide (cache), I believe that a judge may well have a hard time on deciding that another person taking all or part of a cache would constitute theft. Add to that, testimony would corroborate the fact that the materials were indeed left there for others to take.

As far as the container itself -- I'm not going to hazard a guess upon what a judge's decision would be.

Don't get me wrong, personally I think the maggot should be........ well almost ignored (not really).

That is my non-professional 2¢ worth :signalviolin:

That's the crux of the argument... it's not your property anymore.

What are you basing this on?
I take it to mean that ownership is the point that is arguable, not that the cache is or is not private property that can be stolen. And I have to agree that in most debates about whether or not cache maggotry is or is not theft generally do hinge on that question eventually.

By the way... what IS an FTF, anyway? I've poured over the geocaching guidelines and other documentation and have yet to see mention of it. :signalviolin:

:laughing:

By the way... what IS an FTF, anyway? I've poured over the geocaching guidelines and other documentation and have yet to see mention of it. :signalviolin:

First to Find. The first to find a cache.

Aw man. You fell for his stupid "joke" post. He posts the same thing freqently just to derail a forum thread.

Thanks, but why does it matter? Is it sort of like marrying a virgin?

FTF: An incurable condition indicative of complex, deep-seated psychological issues. Consisting of one or more insane individuals rushing to leave the comfort of their homes after 10 pm in the pouring rain for the joy of falling down at least twice in the mud, having the batteries go dead in their flashlight or GPS (or both), and realizing that their only pen has ran out of ink (hence the log written in blood). After which said insane individuals decline to reveal the now blemished nature of the formerly pristine log sheet (at least until someone else posts a heartrending STF), resulting in equally insane people (such as myself) getting up just before dawn with a bright smile at the still blank cache page and heading out with dreams of FTFs flying through their heads. Meanwhile the diabolical non-logging FTFer is undoubtedly snickering at the silly people who waited until the next morning. :laughing:

As for the "why does it matter" question, I'm not touching that one! :laughing:

By the way... what IS an FTF, anyway? I've poured over the geocaching guidelines and other documentation and have yet to see mention of it. :P

Aw man. You fell for his stupid "joke" post. He posts the same thing freqently just to derail a forum thread.

Good tactic...might steal it...naw.... would never be able to bring it in to play:(

I introduced a friend to caching. After 6 months or so he has informed me he is now going to caches and taking everything in each of them and leaving a note saying its been pirated. And he is now stealing any ammo boxes he can find.Because of this we dont even talk anymore.....What should i do.

Rat him out to a local reviewer.

Kick him to the curb as a friend.

By the way... what IS an FTF, anyway? I've poured over the geocaching guidelines and other documentation and have yet to see mention of it. :P

That is your opinion, and only your opinion. I post that because FTF is a totally fictional concept and I think that far too much weight is given to it, particularily by noobs. Forgive me if your attitude is different, but please refrain from calling my posts "stupid" and claiming that my intent is to "derail" the topic. They are neither.

Here's the key point we disagree on. If I hide an ammo can in the woods for other cachers to find, the cache still belongs to me. The contents are fairly debatable, since I would leave them in the cache with the intent that other cachers take them, hopefully leaving equal or better swag in return.

I'll concede that it might be possible to convince some judges that taking the cache container is theft.

The contents, however (trackable items included), fat chance. Gitchee-Gummee pretty much covered that perfectly. You can't steal something that was intended to be taken.

By the way... what IS an FTF, anyway? I've poured over the geocaching guidelines and other documentation and have yet to see mention of it. :)

That is your opinion, and only your opinion. I post that because FTF is a totally fictional concept and I think that far too much weight is given to it, particularily by noobs. Forgive me if your attitude is different, but please refrain from calling my posts "stupid" and claiming that my intent is to "derail" the topic. They are neither.

Party pooper. Neither Good-boy or me is noobs.. (grammar intentional)

Edited by bflentje

After reading the original post and people's responses:

If this matter is factual, it could be addressed PRIVATELY by Groundspeak staffers for their solution. IMHO: this rebel GCer can be cut off from using this site easily and repeteated until finally he goes away, unless he's getting help from 'someone' that is not so innocent in these matters.

These types of emotional counter-culture forum postings always smell grossly of 'troll'.

Why else would it be posted public and the instigator pull the 'pin' in this forum handgrenade only sit back an watch the fun? The answer to this matter (if true) is easily accomplished and should be done privately.

I think you have been HAD. That's all the time I will waste on this troll matter. Others will handle this, if necessary.