So what do you do, when a friend becomes a geo pirate?

nygiants10

I introduced a friend to caching. After 6 months or so he has informed me he is now going to caches and taking everything in each of them and leaving a note saying its been pirated. And he is now stealing any ammo boxes he can find.Because of this we dont even talk anymore.....What should i do.
How old is this "friend" of yours, and what caused this behavior?

I introduced a friend to caching. After 6 months or so he has informed me he is now going to caches and taking everything in each of them and leaving a note saying its been pirated. And he is now stealing any ammo boxes he can find.Because of this we dont even talk anymore.....What should i do.

He is 28 and a idiot. Luckily he lives away from my home court a bit, but still, it pisses me off and his wife thinks its stupid i wont talk to him because of it.

My first thought was that you should give him a swift kick in the "you kno whats" but then that would be bad.

You could go to a local meeting of geocachers and give the name, address, phone number, email address, birthday, etc of the cache maggot. Let those with something at stake have a chance to sway him. You could set up a cache sting on him with a lot of people watching.

Lots of possibilities, most that would not be served by posting of them here.

Edited to fix a stray vowel

Edited by bittsen

Hide a cache on / near your property and camp out at it with a baseball bat. When he shows to collect it, remind him what he is doing is silly. If you do it right it should be the last the cache he vandals.

I'm sure others will have some different solutions, maybe you'll find one that works.

Edited by Morning Dew

He is 28 and a idiot. Luckily he lives away from my home court a bit, but still, it pisses me off and his wife thinks its stupid i wont talk to him because of it.

A 28 year old man still has time for that sort of nonsense?!

There is more to this story. We all realize that. Why don't you fill us in early on instead of making us wait? This sort of apparently irrational behavior does not come out of nowhere.

By the way, I'm sort of curious why none of the caches that you have found appear to be archived because they have gone missing...

Wait about 24 hours and then tell him the only way you'll ever speak to him again is only after he reads the responses on this thread.

My response is that a 28 year old man acting like an 8 year old boy (no offense to 8 year old boys) is a pathetic excuse for a friend. Does he also torture small animals and pull the legs off of spiders for fun? :lol:

I read your original post, figured you were both like 15 and in 9th grade, and had some advice all lined up for you. Then I scrolled down and saw this. Lemme think about this now. :lol:

I don't think that you are supposed to say that in the forums.

No matter how much you might be ticked off with someone.

Edited by Team Cotati

Hide a bunch of micros with unknown size descriptions but mention on the page that they are ammo boxes and see what happens..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Assuming that the OP is legit and sincere, I would suggest you invite your friend to a couple of local events.

I don't suggest outing him as a cache maggot. Rather, I would hope that once he has a chance to meet other cachers it may change his mind about what he is doing.

If this doesn't work, then you've done about all you can do to deter him.

Sounds like he's one of those who just doesn't get why we do this. You know, some people think this is a really stupid hobby. The best way to sway him is to get him to meet and like the cachers he's affecting. Then even if he still thinks it's stupid, at least he may stop just because he'll realize it affects other people.

On the other hand, he could just be a jerk by nature and I would question why you ever introduced him to geocaching in the first place.

Wait about 24 hours and then tell him the only way you'll ever speak to him again is only after he reads the responses on this thread.

My response is that a 28 year old man acting like an 8 year old boy (no offense to 8 year old boys) is a pathetic excuse for a friend. Does he also torture small animals and pull the legs off of spiders for fun? :lol:

8 year olds I know are aware that stealing is wrong.

More like 2-3 year old.

MINE!

Assuming that the OP is legit and sincere, I would suggest you invite your friend to a couple of local events.

I don't suggest outing him as a cache maggot. Rather, I would hope that once he has a chance to meet other cachers it may change his mind about what he is doing.

Sounds like he's one of those who just doesn't get why we do this. You know, some people think this is a really stupid hobby. The best way to sway him is to get him to meet and like the cachers he's affecting. Then even if he still thinks it's stupid, at least he may stop just because he'll realize it affects other people.

On the other hand, he could just be a jerk by nature and I would question why you ever introduced him to geocaching in the first place.

Good suggestion. Often when someone can put a face to their victims it helps there realize that there is a victim, not just some user name in a forum.

Good suggestion. Often when someone can put a face to their victims it helps there realize that there is a victim, not just some user name in a forum.

It would be more fun to out him at the meeting.

Just saying...

Wow, it only took 17 posts to finally see a rational response. :)

First off, there's no telling that this 'friend' isn't just winding you up to get a reaction. Have you actually been to the caches he's plundered in question to verify his account?

I'd imagine if he did start vandalising caches he'd get very bored after the first one or two. When you have to work hard to be a vandal it can take the fun out of being a vandal - after all vandalism is supposed to be reckless and easy.

Therefore IANAP (I am not a psychologist), if he is actively doing this and doing it a lot he may have underlying psychological issues that relates to more than caching.

Secondly, I'm amazed at how many people are ready to grab their pitchforks and light their torches on a single forum post when we don't even know the background yet.

I can imagine it'd be great publicity for geocaching in general. News at 10 - "a group of local 'geocachers' trash a mans car and set light to the roof of his house all because he stole a lunchbox full of goodies one of them left out in the woods."

Yeah, those geocachers, watch out they're mental! :lol:

I introduced a friend to caching.

He's your friend. Sit down with him over a couple pints of Entire Butt English Porter and work it out. If you can impart on him how passionate you are about the game, and stress that his activities are causing you distress, he might be swayed. Failing that, beat him vigorously with rotting lemming carcasses.

8 year olds I know are aware that stealing is wrong.

More like 2-3 year old.

MINE!

No, even I can convince even my two year old to only take one thing. :)

I would have a local geocacher conveniently post a new cache on private property that could be monitored and say it is loaded with goodies and an ammo box. Assuming that he takes the bait, I would then inform him of the pending charges for theft and or tresspassing if he contiues. If it is a giant problem, it might be worth the time and effort and help ease your mind! I am sure if you know his schedule somewhat you could arrange with the local reviewer to publish at a "best time' so you are not devoting your life to a keeping tabs on this cache.

I tend to agree with the "take him to an event" line here. Especially if some of the CO's whose caches he plundered will be there. Knowing their is a person behind the cache might help guilt him into stopping.

Short of that, let him know exactly what you think, and simply inform him that you will no longer accept any communications from him.

Report his account to Groundspeak so that they can look into banning it if warranted. After that just ignore him. People usually behave badly for attention that they don't deserve, plus I see no reason to waste time, emotions, or energy on such a person. They will eventually get bored and go away. They almost always do. And to the extent you are concerned that you once liked this person, don't worry about it. Sometimes you just have to write some people off as not worth the effort. If they change their ways later and find you again, then great. If not, you are better off without them around.

Sounds like he's one of those who just doesn't get why we do this. You know, some people think this is a really stupid hobby.

...And yet how many people spend days and hundreds/thousands of dollars on hitting a small white ball at a 4" hole from 450 yards away? :lol:

Advising violence, calling names and swearing are all against guidelines for the forums....maybe some should think before posting, even if in jest?

What about threatening to say 'Ni' to someone?

(Ni! Ni! Ni!)

Maybe now is when you need to be talking to him.

BTW: In our society, the term "Pirate" has a degree of respect because of the movies we watch. The proper term for a person with this behavior is "cache maggot".

he probably thinks he's invented a fun new twist to the game.

i don't think there's really anything you can do about it beisdes hope he loses interest. in some places IF you can get the police involved and IF you have proof, you can take legal recourse. it's not a serious theft, but it IS a theft. generally police won't take any time or spend any effort on a petty crime like this, but they'll take note and if you do the legwork sometimes you can make it work out.

i'm with you on not being his friend anymore. you owe him a polite conversation about it if he needs to know why, but you needn't keep thieves as your friends once you find out that they're thieves.

none of my friends lie, cheat, or steal. it's not because i live in an insular pocket of honest people; it's because dishonest people get dropped from my list quicker than if they were a red-hot anvil covered in baconfat.

if his wife thinks it's stupid of you not to want to have a friend who steals, then you ought to drop her as well, since it apparently doesn't bother her.

come to think of it, it i were married to someone and found out they were stealing things, i wouldn't be married for very long after that.

Let the cache owners know that he's out there doing just that. Full information on what he's doing is fair.

I introduced a friend to caching.

He's your friend. Sit down with him over a couple pints of Entire Butt English Porter and work it out. If you can impart on him how passionate you are about the game, and stress that his activities are causing you distress, he might be swayed. Failing that, beat him vigorously with rotting lemming carcasses.

How could I forget the more obvious solution. Shame on me. :lol:

Sounds like he's one of those who just doesn't get why we do this. You know, some people think this is a really stupid hobby.

...And yet how many people spend days and hundreds/thousands of dollars on hitting a small white ball at a 4" hole from 450 yards away?

Or watch people drive cars around in circles for hours.

Secondly, I'm amazed at how many people are ready to grab their pitchforks and light their torches on a single forum post when we don't even know the background yet.

I can imagine it'd be great publicity for geocaching in general. News at 10 - "a group of local 'geocachers' trash a mans car and set light to the roof of his house all because he stole a lunchbox full of goodies one of them left out in the woods."

Yeah, those geocachers, watch out they're mental! :lol:

The OP stated that the "friend" was stealing caches as if it were a fact. If it IS a fact then it's perfectly acceptable for the persons who are participating in the activity to get upset and want to take some sort of action. Emotionally, the need for immediate justice with a firm hand is common among us higher apes. It is how the animal kingdom solves the problems within the animal kingdom.

Since geocaching is an activity that brings us outside, often to confront our natural abilities and instincts, I see no reason why the emotional responses within our animal nature should be restrained.

Cache maggots are just animals attempting to deprive us of what sustains us. In any other animal species, the penalty would be violent. The mere fact that we are even discussing the issue is a testament to how far we have progressed/digressed. The cache maggot should count his blessings that we are able to control the need for justice.

The OP stated that the "friend" was stealing caches as if it were a fact. If it IS a fact then it's perfectly acceptable for the persons who are participating in the activity to get upset and want to take some sort of action. Emotionally, the need for immediate justice with a firm hand is common among us higher apes. It is how the animal kingdom solves the problems within the animal kingdom.

Since geocaching is an activity that brings us outside, often to confront our natural abilities and instincts, I see no reason why the emotional responses within our animal nature should be restrained.

Cache maggots are just animals attempting to deprive us of what sustains us. In any other animal species, the penalty would be violent. The mere fact that we are even discussing the issue is a testament to how far we have progressed/digressed. The cache maggot should count his blessings that we are able to control the need for justice.

:laughing:

Okay.

Back, on topic...

My response is a mix of Clan Riffster's and flask's. I've combined the two in such a manner as to properly express my feelings. My sincere apologies to the originators.

Beat him vigorously with rotting lemming carcasses; it’s a fun new twist to the game.

You needn't keep thieves as your friends once you’ve beaten him vigorously with rotting lemming carcass.

If I were married to someone and found out they were stealing things, I wouldn't be married for very long after I beat them vigorously with a rotting lemming carcass.

Yeah, those geocachers, watch out they're mental! :)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, we put apes in cages and hire humans who have learned to contain their base instinct, as judges to use their knowledge and reason granted to them to dispense appropriate justice and we don't support lynch mobs in case a wrongly identified innocent gets hanged. :D

But I can see a rapist using your philosophy as a defence, sure. "It's my animal instinct your honour, I couldn't contain the emotional urges within me and needed to take action and propagate my seed amongst the female of our species."

Yeah, no need for restraint at all. :laughing:

<snip>

:laughing:

Okay.

Back, on topic...

My response is a mix of Clan Riffster's and flask's. I've combined the two in such a manner as to properly express my feelings. My sincere apologies to the originators.

Beat him vigorously with rotting lemming carcasses; it’s a fun new twist to the game.

You needn't keep thieves as your friends once you’ve beaten him vigorously with rotting lemming carcass.

If I were married to someone and found out they were stealing things, I wouldn't be married for very long after I beat them vigorously with a rotting lemming carcass.

If I get fired because I laugh out loud at work, I'm going to have to beat you with a rotting lemming carcass.

He has to have a username to view the coordinates unless he is only stealing caches he went to with you already.

If you know his username you could report him to your local reviewers and Ground Speak. GS has the ability to ban his account and block him from viewing the coordinates, unless he opens another account. But then he may have to change the ISP he logs from to do that.

Talk with him and his wife also.

If he refuses to change his ways I would definately drop him as a friend.