Is Geocaching meant to be hush-hush?

Hunters203

I'm kind of confused about etiquette surrounding talking about geocaching. Or rather, I am confused about the muggle thing versus whether or not we tell people/friends that we geocache. Is it okay to tell friends about it but just keep it quiet while DOING it and not attracting attention?

Does that even make sense?

If asked - tell. Whether it is curious friends asking why your shoes are muddy after an extended lunch hour or some muggle that approaches you while you circle that bush for the 21st time looking for the micro. Of course when in the field, we should avoiding doing anything that overtly attracts attention to ourselves. Sometimes trying to be stealthy just attracts more attention - I advise cachers to be bold.

Thanks. We've probably told a billion people by now and I was starting to worry that I was doing something wrong. In fact, we ran into my daughter's school's Cub Scout pack last weekend and gave them all a short lesson and pointed the leader to the iPhone app and sent them on their way. Then I thought...did I do something wrong?

Thanks for the insight :)

I realized when someone asks and I say geocaching, they look at me like a deer in headlights. So now I just say "I'm on a scavenger hunt" and if they hang around and ask more questions, then I'll fill them in and refer them to geocaching.com

you know, typically i just tell people it's like a scavenger hunt, but last weeken i was caching far out of my regular area and everywhere i ran into people and said "scavendger hunt", they said "oh. are you guys geocaching?"

Thanks. We've probably told a billion people by now and I was starting to worry that I was doing something wrong. In fact, we ran into my daughter's school's Cub Scout pack last weekend and gave them all a short lesson and pointed the leader to the iPhone app and sent them on their way. Then I thought...did I do something wrong?

Thanks for the insight :D

Just one little thing to consider (if you haven't already) - kids get very excited at the prospect of treasure being found in caches. Once they learn about a location of a cache, they may go back over and over to see if there is anything good inside, not understanding the rules of trading or rules about GCs and TBs.

We took our daughter out at a young age and found a cache in our neighborhood. She wound up blabbing about it to some neighborhood kids and those kids eventually wrecked the cache (I found out about this years later). I felt terrible about it although attempts to contact the CO went unreturned. The cache was archived and we placed a smaller cache near the location as a way to atone. :)

So the take home message is yes - if people ask, be honest and continue your enthusiasm to share your geocaching experiences with others...just be sure to consider the ages of the audience and their ability (or inability) to keep a secret location safe. B)

Just one little thing to consider (if you haven't already) - kids get very excited at the prospect of treasure being found in caches. Once they learn about a location of a cache, they may go back over and over to see if there is anything good inside, not understanding the rules of trading or rules about GCs and TBs.
When I've introduced kids from our church to geocaching, I've made a point of taking them on a hike somewhere, rather than showing them the geocaches hidden within a few blocks of the church building. Those who really get into geocaching and understand the game can look up the local suburban caches on their own. But there's less chance of the others compromising the location of a cache in the local neighborhood.

Seems like there are two circumstances you are asking about. One, what to say when you run into people while out caching. (Muggles) The other is talking about it to friends and family.

When out caching, and someone is interested in what I'm doing, my reaction will depend on how I feel about the muggle. If I'm uncomfortable with the situation, I will try to make up something. (Lost something I'm looking for, taking pictures, or some other ruse. :D )

Most of the time I will just say I'm Geocaching. Then if they seem interested I give them a pamphlet I printed up.

As for talking to friends and family about it, I would bet my family and friends wish I would shut up about it. B):) They talk about their hobbies, and have to listen about mine. :):D

While out hunting the cache we should use a little discretion, but in a social setting there is nothing secret about the game.

When I've introduced kids from our church to geocaching, I've made a point of taking them on a hike somewhere, rather than showing them the geocaches hidden within a few blocks of the church building. Those who really get into geocaching and understand the game can look up the local suburban caches on their own. But there's less chance of the others compromising the location of a cache in the local neighborhood.

Nice.

Your friends and coworkers will become very bored, very quickly, and start cutting off your converstion. :lol:

Muggles can be a different story. Use discretion there. Some are liable to muggle the cache. Others are fun to chat with. Half mile walk in, the other day. We chatted about how beautiful the Flatbrook is. That the hemlocks here are still healthy. HWA in general. ISPM-15. She wished me luck, and went on. Caught up with me on the way back, and asked if I'd found the caches. Very pleasant experience.

Absolutley Not! The more people I can introduce the hobby, the better. Each person who actually takes up the challenge is one more possible cache-hunting buddy.

If asked - tell. Whether it is curious friends asking why your shoes are muddy after an extended lunch hour or some muggle that approaches you while you circle that bush for the 21st time looking for the micro. Of course when in the field, we should avoiding doing anything that overtly attracts attention to ourselves. Sometimes trying to be stealthy just attracts more attention - I advise cachers to be bold.

So, carrying around a big sign that says, "Don't look at me, I'm geocaching!" is a good thing or a bad thing? :lol:

You will come in contacts of muggles of all types. Be it the innocent passerby, law enforcement or the just plain curious. The main idea is while geocaching you do not want to give away the presence of a geocache to muggles because of a host of reasons. Yet if confronted, let them know if asked. Especially if it is law enforcement.

-HHH :lol: